HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CAR] Alex Semin re-signs with Carolina: 5 years, $35 million ($7MAAV)

Old
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Congrats to the Canes. You gave him the contract the Caps refused to. Enjoy his "on" year. Next year will likely be different.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
A team like Carolina is not an attractive destination for free agents. In order to keep him at a reasonable price, for this franchise, we had to make a concession in the only other place we could make one. Term.
Why isn't Carolina an attractive destination for free agents? Team plays in a new(er) arena, has won a SC, makes the playoffs and competes for the division on a consistent basis. And the state of North Carolina is a great place to live, all my Kin in Carolina love it down there. I love going to NC whenever I can, and I do so yearly.

WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

I will still never understand the disdain towards Semin. He has better career numbers than many of the high profile wingers that have been signed of late and is signed to a shorter contract with less money while actually having produced more than them, and being better than them this year (and the year they signed their contracts). Unreal.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I will still never understand the disdain towards Semin. He has better career numbers than many of the high profile wingers that have been signed of late and is signed to a shorter contract with less money while actually having produced more than them, and being better than them this year (and the year they signed their contracts). Unreal.
Sasha has the talent to be one of the best wingers of all time, nevermind "many" that have been signed lately. Thats the issue. Consistency. At least that is my issue with Sasha. Frustrating talent.

WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:11 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
yes we do, dont be stupid
No, YOU do. You don't speak for the team or all of its fans.

See, we Caps fans can't get rid of these Semin fans who think everyone is "stupid" if we don't love him as much as they do. This is why nearly every discussion about the Caps keeps circling back to Semin and his tragic victimization, which is what contributes to Caps fans continuing to make comments about him.

If he played in the West and his fans just left the Caps to follow him there, we'd probably never talk about him again.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
I will still never understand the disdain towards Semin.
you haven't watched him enough

he plays hard basically half the time. I've seen him basically give up trying for long periods of time. with that being said, i hope he continues to play well maybe it was a maturity issue

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
30 games in Carolina or his 470 games as a Cap? I wonder which is likely to be the aberration?

Typical "our team has better leadership and structure, player X will improve here when he hasn't elsewhere" argument. It almost always ends the same. Also Muller does not have enough of a history as a coach that you can even try to use him in an argument like that.
You can't have less leadership than Washington.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

That's a lot of dough but he seems like a good fit in Carolina.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Why isn't Carolina an attractive destination for free agents? Team plays in a new(er) arena, has won a SC, makes the playoffs and competes for the division on a consistent basis. And the state of North Carolina is a great place to live, all my Kin in Carolina love it down there. I love going to NC whenever I can, and I do so yearly.
For players that want to hide from media, it's easy to do here, those who crave attention not so much.

Raleigh is a great city, it's not big, but it has pretty much anything you could want. Sasha said him and his GF was able to find Russian food market and was good socially for them.

OBX isn't far away, mountains ain't far off either.

Lethargic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
nickschultzfan

I think Carolina is a good fit for Semin. Glad they signed him to a long-term contract.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
kasper11

Quote:
He is a streaky scorer. Too many people (especially in the media) add streaky + Russian = lazy.

A lot of scorers are streaky. It's a confidence thing and it happens in most sports; players will go into slumps or get red hot. The difference is people already assume a skilled Russian is lazy.

Look at all the heat Ovechkin took earlier this year. Way more vitriol than Getzlaf got last year when he struggled or Richards has gotten this year.

When a North American player struggles, the media generally asks what is wrong with this player. When a European struggles, especially a Russian, the media assumes they aren't trying.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
People arbitrarily decided that he could be the next Gretzky if he wanted to and blamed the fact that he's not on his "laziness" and "lack of heart". As a result any time he's not putting up points he's considered being lazy and cancerous, while any time anyone else isn't producing they're just struggling is all. This also led to people dismissing all of his production under the eh, if he cared he'd just do it all the time stigma. Him being a quiet Russian player who doesn't hit definitely played a part in it.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
He earned it this year, and term is very good. Congrats 'canes fans!
I'm a Semin fan - but I'm hoping that he plays with the same fire as he currently is over the entire contract. It's a risky deal from CAR's perpsective just because he really has to be going at 100% to justify that contract.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Beesfan

Not a wise move for Carolina. No one was going to compete to sign Semin long term at $7 million a year. I can see giving him that cap hit, but on no more than a 3 year deal.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:44 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Not a wise move for Carolina. No one was going to compete to sign Semin long term at $7 million a year. I can see giving him that cap hit, but on no more than a 3 year deal.
Except that we KNOW that Pittsburgh and Detroit were both in on him last summer when he was at a low point. You think the Pens and Wings aren't going to drop $7m on a ppg Russian winger?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Red08

Wow. Too much! Good thing it's only 5 years...

I wouldn't have expected him to get anything more than 5.5 per year.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Really? Minnesota and Anaheim gave longer deals with bigger cap hits to players with worse stats.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
It's not a big market. Canes get absolutely no media attention. When has NBC ever televised a Canes game, not playoff game (and that's only b/c they had to). Most top end players want to play in big markets. Also, Carolina usually can't compete in salary/term as the big market teams. Also, they tend to miss the playoffs more then make it.

It's hard to attract free agents. However, once they get here and live here for a few months they love it. Unless they have a brother already here, it's hard to twist their arm

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Not sure I agree on the $7M. IMO - Semin would have been the best UFA available on 7/1/13. I would not assume that a team would not go to that range if that had cap $'s available, and I think a team like DET is going to have a ton of cap space.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Velo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
When a North American player struggles, the media generally asks what is wrong with this player. When a European struggles, especially a Russian, the media assumes they aren't trying.
To be fair, it wasn't just the media, it was some of his teammates too - Matt Bradley and Troy Brouwer (I think it was) basically said the same thing about Semin.

Velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
mighty all the way

7 million is good for getting a Semin that cares, but 5 years might be risky with that price. But he's playing great and they want to keep a good winger for the Staal's.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:04 PM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Really? Minnesota and Anaheim gave longer deals with bigger cap hits to players with worse stats.
Semin ever win the Hart Trophy? Cup? Gold medal? Semin only has 2 seasons above PPG, Getzlaf is a constant player above PPG (take out rookie/last season) and Perry lead the league in goals 2 seasons ago and lead the Western Conference in goals last season while having a bad season.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
Wow. Too much! Good thing it's only 5 years...

I wouldn't have expected him to get anything more than 5.5 per year.
He makes $7M now, why would he take a pay cut?

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
What is up with Caps fans and this obsession over Semin? It borders on creepy. What exactly is wrong with you people, anyway?
Not sure if serious? This is a hockey chat board, and Caps posters are giving one liners about a player that just signed a long term, high priced contract. The only one acting creepy here is you my man, for worrying so much about the Caps fans reactions.

That said,

Fire George

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Over/under on how much longer Caps fans will continue to use as Semin as the main scapegoat for them choking in the playoffs every year?

I'm guessing until at least the 2014-2015 season at the earliest, then they might start to realize their franchise had a lot more wrong with it than Semin.

But to be fair, there's a small amount of Caps fans who already realize it.
Semin was part of the problem, dont kid yourself.

He should *not* have been the scapegoat, thats for sure. But he was most assuredly part of the problem. You dont see a line of ex-teammates calling him out for Zero reason. I dont agree with the public airing of dirty laundry by said ex-teammates, but its happened. So where there is some smoke, there is also some fire.

I liked Semin, a lot. I am happy for him. But for whatever reason, he was a big part of the culture issue in DC. I think he got swept up in it, and didnt have a strong enough personality to help be part of the solution.

So, it seems being in Carolina is a good place for him, and it seems to be showing. The part to be wary of, from a fan is his that watched him for 7 years, is when that "other part" of Semin will show up (if at all). It may not...but it is a gamble to give this player that type of money for that term.

That said,

Fire George

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote