HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton - Buffalo Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2005, 10:25 AM
sidelines

vCash:
Edmonton - Buffalo Proposal

To Edmonton: Daniel Briere
To Buffalo: Eric Brewer

Oilers need a C, Sabres need a D. What do you think? Would someone have to add something? Maybe Oilers add Horcoff and Buffalo adds a winger?

Old
04-02-2005, 10:30 AM
VanW27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Newsflash Man

Oilers need a C, Sabres need a D. What do you think? Would someone have to add something? Maybe Oilers add Horcoff and Buffalo adds a winger?
Not nearly enough from Buffalo plus Edmonton already has a Briere type player in York.

Old
04-02-2005, 10:31 AM
n00dles

In my opinion Buffalo would have to add something, maybe a 3rd or a decent prospect (no bluechipper). As much as I like Briere, he is not a legit number one center, the Oilers would want more in return.

Old
04-02-2005, 10:41 AM
sidelines

vCash:
Not sure how Briere can't be a number 1 centre, he had the 11th most points as a center last year, ahead of Weight, Morrison Arnott.

Old
04-02-2005, 11:29 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Don't see the Sabres trading Briere. He has a lot of value with Buffalo. Decent centers are few and far between in this organization.

Old
04-02-2005, 11:47 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Not sure how Briere can't be a number 1 centre, he had the 11th most points as a center last year, ahead of Weight, Morrison Arnott.
points aren't everything.

Daniel Sedin was 12th in the league among left wingers last season in points - ahead of Zednik, Shanahan, Frolov and others... is he considered a legit #1 LW?

I'd take Morrison in a second over Briere... he's as strong a defensive player for us as he is an offensive one and has been clutch for us, being our best playoff performer as well... Arnott brings a lot more intanigbles than Briere does, and Weight (salary notwithstanding) is a more proven #1 than Briere is.

Briere is a decent top 6 center, but I don't see him as a #1 on a contender.

As for the Brewer option here.. I wouldn't even consider it if I were Edmonton. Brewer is their #1 dman, is young and still getting better, and the Oilers defense isn't exactly that deep to begin with.

I think the Oilers will address their center issues via free agency.

Old
04-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Cerebral

Yuck, I wouldn't even look at this if I was the Oilers. Briere's play apparently improved by leaps and bounds when he joined Buffalo but there would need to be a lot more coming back to the Oilers to convine them to trade Brewer. Someone like Jason Smith or Steve Staios could be potentially moved in a deal like this if Lowe can't find a centerman through free agency but not Brewer unless it's a true number one guy coming back.

Old
04-02-2005, 03:20 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Yuck, I wouldn't even look at this if I was the Oilers. Briere's play apparently improved by leaps and bounds when he joined Buffalo but there would need to be a lot more coming back to the Oilers to convine them to trade Brewer. Someone like Jason Smith or Steve Staios could be potentially moved in a deal like this if Lowe can't find a centerman through free agency but not Brewer unless it's a true number one guy coming back.
Exactly.

Lowe won't trade for a center that's under 6', and he espeacilly won't trade his best defenseman for a guy that is that big of a risk. If Brewer moves, it means that there's a lot coming back to Edmonton.. and Briere isn't the answer.

Old
04-02-2005, 04:10 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

why would BUF trade their top goal scorer?

Old
04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
I see this as a no-go for both teams. Brewer has a whole lot more trade value than Briere, I'm sure. However, unless we replace Briere, he is OUR #1 center (whether a legit #1 center or not). He's our leading scorer and at this point a very important part of our team. He forms the leadership core with Drury and Hecht.

He certainly isn't irreplaceable or untradeable, but in this trade Edmonton would want a lot more and we wouldn't be willing to give all of that up.

Old
04-02-2005, 05:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27
Not nearly enough from Buffalo plus Edmonton already has a Briere type player in York.
Who is the girl in the avatar?

Old
04-02-2005, 05:44 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Buffalo needs Briere's offense.

Better off filling in their holes in D by way of the UFA market.

Old
04-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:

pouliot, schremp and whoever else already in the farm and could be better then briere, why trade away ur "best" defensemen for something you dont need

Old
04-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
pouliot, schremp and whoever else already in the farm and could be better then briere, why trade away ur "best" defensemen for something you dont need
Your point about Pouliot and Schremp is highly debatable.

Old
04-02-2005, 06:36 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
Your point about Pouliot and Schremp is highly debatable.
No, it's not. They could theoretically be better than Briere. It's not debatable unless you are saying it's impossible for either of them to end up better than Briere.

It would certainly be debatable to say they likely will be better than Briere.

Old
04-02-2005, 06:52 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
No, it's not. They could theoretically be better than Briere. It's not debatable unless you are saying it's impossible for either of them to end up better than Briere.

It would certainly be debatable to say they likely will be better than Briere.
Theoretically.

Old
04-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Oiltalk

Not for Brewer. Staios or Smith more likely, although I'd rather one of them be packaged off with another player for a good sized Center.

Old
04-03-2005, 06:52 PM
roast

Blue Ice and Rounded Nets for the guy that makes the oilers ice

Old
04-04-2005, 01:45 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Quote:
exactly...we need a Thornton-type center (hint-hint K Lowe ) not another Comrie-type player

Old
04-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Wolfpack

First of all, I see Briere as a player who is probably more valuable to his current team than as trade bait on the open market (like Moreau is to Edmonton.) That being said, Brewer is probably worth more than Briere, even if Buffalo WAS willing to trade Briere. However, the Oilers have shown and stated that they do not want another small centre. Otherwise they would have tried to keep Comrie, or drafted Zach Parise. Their biggest requirement is a centre with size. Trades involving guys like Handzus make more sense because of his size and the fact he is playing on a team that is deep at centre.

Old
04-04-2005, 01:31 PM
CurtisJD13

Brewer = franchise defenseman.

Briere = 2nd tier center

Need I say more?

Old
04-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Given the lack of scoring in the NHL last year, I'd say that 28 goals could be considered #1 center material.

I think he is more ideally suited for second line duty than first line duty, but he could definitely be the #1 in many cities in the NHL.

Old
04-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Hemsky4PM

The Oilers would more likely sign a free agent if they can. Brewer won't be involved in any deal for a top line center.

Old
04-04-2005, 02:57 PM
VanW27

How about

To Edmonton: Legwand, Hall

To Nashville: Brewer, Laraque, third

I'm not a fan of either team and the value could be off but i think a deal with this as the basis could work. Edmonton would have a decent group of forwards and they could roll four lines with getting contributions from each. Nasville would be able to boast one of the best young defense corps in the league with Brewer, Zidlicky, Timonen and Hamhuis.

Edmonton
Smyth - Legwand - Dvorak
Torres - York - Hemsky
Moreau - Horcoff - Hall
Isbister - Stoll - Pisani

Old
04-04-2005, 03:01 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
How about

To Edmonton: Legwand, Hall

To Nashville: Brewer, Laraque, third

I'm not a fan of either team and the value could be off but i think a deal with this as the basis could work. Edmonton would have a decent group of forwards and they could roll four lines with getting contributions from each. Nasville would be able to boast one of the best young defense corps in the league with Brewer, Zidlicky, Timonen and Hamhuis.

Edmonton
Smyth - Legwand - Dvorak
Torres - York - Hemsky
Moreau - Horcoff - Hall
Isbister - Stoll - Pisani
I think Nashville has a bigger need in Legwand then they would in Brewer... while Brewer is worth more on the market, Nashville doesn't have any depth at center to be able to move their top centerman, while having depth on defense, and some nice youngsters already developing (Suter, Weber, Klein).

Closed Thread