HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

The Myth of Physical Teams Bullying the Hawks

Old
06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
The Myth of Physical Teams Bullying the Hawks

Is officially dead. I never want to hear anyone bring this up again

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

if the Hawks lose Bickell I am afraid that we will get completely destroyed out there next year. Toews and Kane are going to get bounced around like rag dolls and we will get out hit 234-9 most nights..with Crawford accounting for 3 of those 9 hits.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
BronYrAur

It's obnoxious. Teams that hit have never, ever been shown to perform better than teams that don't hit. Just stop, please.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Is officially dead. I never want to hear anyone bring this up again
As long as we can let go of the "puck luck" anything can happen in the playoffs garbage, I am fine with that.

Still, it has to be remembered that the guys we did have, guys like Sharp, Shaw, not physically imposing, stepped up and filled those roles where guys didn't before when we lost.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Illinihockey

From cbssports.com:

"There are three key numbers that you should keep in mind about this team [Chicago Blackhawks] and what it takes to win in the NHL.

Those numbers:

1.) Hits: 840. This number put them last in the NHL. Repeat. Last in the NHL.

2.) Blocked shots: 652. This number was 21st in the NHL. Again, near the bottom.

It certainly puts a dent in the argument that you need to be physical, gritty and block your way to the Cup.

The reason the Blackhawks were so low in these two categories wasn't that they lacked grit or toughness or compete level or any other hockey-related buzzword that you can throw out there. It was because of the simple fact that they had more skill than nearly every other team and had the puck way more than their opponents. You can't block shots or hit people when you're the one always playing with the puck.

And finally ...

3.) Fenwick Close: 55.80. This number was second-best in the NHL. And this is the big one.

The important one.

Fenwick is a measure of shot attempts that counts shots on goal and shots that miss the net. It's a measure of puck possession. And when narrowing it to situations in which the score is close (hence the name, "Fenwick Close"), you're not allowing score effects to skew the possession numbers. Teams play differently when they're ahead or behind by two or more goals. When the game is tied or separated by just one goal, teams are playing more within their system. Their true talent is being shown.

When you see the Blackhawks with a mark of 55.80, that means they attempted more than 55 percent of the total shot attempts. That is a huge advantage and takes a lot of pressure off their goalies.

When the Blackhawks won the Cup in 2010, they finished first in this measure and were one of the most dominant possession teams in recent memory. Over the past six years, the Stanley Cup champion has finished in the top four of the league in this statistic four times. The only two that didn't were the 2010-11 Bruins, who won on the strength of Tim Thomas in net, and the 2008-09 Penguins, whose numbers were skewed by their early season struggles under Michel Therrien (after the coaching change, their possession numbers were among the best in the league).

The moral of the story: Puck possession hockey is winning hockey."

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

I'm glad that myth was busted. It's been annoying to hear and read over and over throughout the playoffs.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Sevanston

No, don't break the myth.

Don't you know how funny it is to hear things to the effect of "all we need to do is hit Kane!" over and over and over again?

You're messing with one of my favorite drinking games here.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Awesome Winged Thor of Defense Chara (credit to swanny), Scary Boston Leviathans of Monstrous Physicality, etc.

Yes, myth busted. It was busted before this series too, but at least now every hockey fan realizes it. Blackhawks fans already knew. The team was not dominant all year long for no reason.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:33 PM
hockeydoug

Maybe the media will quit looking (or at least consider NOT looking) at that ridiculous "hits" category in scoring. The emphasis on the category distorts the discussions of the game. It would also help if they could standardize the scoring of the stat.

hockeydoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:21 PM
KyleJRM

It'll come back. We busted it with an almost identical matchup with Philadelphia and their Pronger Physics, but it came back.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Personally, I find it hilarious that the Wings/Hawks serious was arguably the most physical match-up in the playoffs; maybe behind Sens/Canadians but mostly because nobody almost died/no line fight.

For two teams that are supposed to be "all skill", the Wings and Hawks went at each other like prize fighters. So much clutching, grabbing, hacking, big hits, physical grinds into the boards... from both teams.

A lot of other Wings fans I talk to are worried about the East but I keep telling them we aren't gonna face anyone more physical than Chicago, LA or San Jose.

Edit: also, congrats. See you next June. Book it.

Last edited by SportsballChic: 06-25-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: manners
SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

Don't you know how funny it is to hear things to the effect of "all we need to do is hit Kane!" over and over and over again?

I love hearing that. If it was so easy and effective everyone would be doing it! That is right up there with the silliest statements of ways to beat this team.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:48 PM
JR97

Hits and blocked shots are relational stats... meaning they need to be considered in relation to puck possession. If you're dominating puck possession of course you're going to get out hit. Which is more significant.. more hits or more puck possession? Obviously you can have the puck 90% of the time and not score and get scored on the 10% of the time you don't have the puck.

Same for blocked shots. Not blocking as many shots as the other team should be accounted for along with possession/shots for/chances for. If you're not blocking shots but getting out shot/out chanced, then it's a problem.

In the end, it's the scoreboard that matters anyway.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
Personally, I find it hilarious that the Wings/Hawks serious was arguably the most physical match-up in the playoffs; maybe behind Sens/Canadians but mostly because nobody almost died/no line fight.

For two teams that are supposed to be "all skill", the Wings and Hawks went at each other like prize fighters. So much clutching, grabbing, hacking, big hits, physical grinds into the boards... from both teams.

A lot of other Wings fans I talk to are worried about the East but I keep telling them we aren't gonna face anyone more physical than Chicago, LA or San Jose.

The clutching and grabbing was 85% Detwah.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:05 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The clutching and grabbing was 85% Detwah.
Your percentage seems off, more like 60/40 Detroit imho.

Plus, we weren't the team trying to cripple someone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiA4KRQR3c0

Congrats. Try winning gracefully this year

Old
06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The fact that we won should lend credence to my argument. It's not sour grapes when we lifted the cup.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
FloridaKingsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post

And St. Louis

FloridaKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKingsFan View Post
And St. Louis
Yeah, foolish of me to leave them out. They're like a bunch of clones; every defender seems huge. Will not miss them.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Marina
#freemorin

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

That's my favorite thing ever. And then in the next game when nobody hits Kane they're all like "why the **** does nobody hit him??" Loved all the Boston fans saying they needed to steamroll him.

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:17 PM
madgoat33

all the neanderthals talking about how the hawks would fold to the physicality of the Bruins and that chara would shut down the to line and rask was too good were hilarious then and even more funny now

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:20 PM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
all the neanderthals talking about how the hawks would fold to the physicality of the Bruins and that chara would shut down the to line and rask was too good were hilarious then and even more funny now
"It may *look* like we got insanely lucky against Pittsburgh being outpossessed and outchanced out the wazoo, but really it's just our defensive system."

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:21 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Hawks scored as many goals in 17 seconds as Pittsburgh scored all series rofl

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:28 PM
madgoat33

too bad we didn't get iginla, jokinen, and morrow. we woulda won for sure

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
My other fav was.....'We swept Pitt so you don't stand a chance'. Though this was from only 3-5 of the more voiceful B fans on the main board. But they would not stop with that even up to game 6. Because of a Pitt sweep they deserved the Cup.

Along with another classic 'You haven't faced a physical team like us'. Um...LA was the most physical I thought. If they were not so hurt it would have been a longer series.

From the greatest hits last week ....'Run Toews/Kane/Bickell/etc.'

And the boxed set held......'Chara will control the Hawks offense'. Nice control on the game tying goal as Toews slipped it between hiis legs. Was ont he ice for 10 of the last 11 goals against I believe.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:54 PM
WarriorofTime

It's just some Canadian myth. Look at how people gush over the 07 Ducks. Not that they weren't a great team but they're such a prototypical "Canadian" team in terms of how they played that people massively overrate them in a historical context.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote