HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Lets talk about Dave Bolland

Old
03-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Penosity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
...and if my Aunt had a set, she'd be my Uncle.
But can she score?

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:20 PM
ered7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
But can she score?
and can she win a faceoff?

ered7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ered7 View Post
and can she win a faceoff?
Probably, against 16 or 36.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Whitney had our numbers in that series... Could do what he wanted to do much like Hanzal was always in front of our net without getting pushed around.

Bolland has 1 last chance and this will be the POs this season. If he doesn't play like he did with Ladd on one side and Havlat/Versteeg on the other, he is gone.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Isn't that funny, Bolland scores 2 goals and plays a good game and suddenly this thread goes a whole day without people wanting him kicked out of the league for ruining the Hawks.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Isn't that funny, Bolland scores 2 goals and plays a good game and suddenly this thread goes a whole day without people wanting him kicked out of the league for ruining the Hawks.
I've been busy dusting off the Hart trophy, after 1 fluke goal and on legit goal. Easy Sparky, let's see him string a few games together before we get excited.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:48 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
I've been busy dusting off the Hart trophy, after 1 fluke goal and on legit goal. Easy Sparky, let's see him string a few games together before we get excited.
Yes because my point was clearly he is the greatest thing ever, or as has been all season people overreact and knee jerk everything.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Whitney had our numbers in that series... Could do what he wanted to do much like Hanzal was always in front of our net without getting pushed around.

Bolland has 1 last chance and this will be the POs this season. If he doesn't play like he did with Ladd on one side and Havlat/Versteeg on the other, he is gone.
I think everyone forgets that. Bolland played on the 3rd line, centering two guys that are 1st liners on the majority of teams in this league. No one is ever going to confuse the likes of Stalberg and Bickell with Ladd and Versteeg. He's always been a 3rd line center, and is always going to be one. He's great at neutralizing another team's top line, and he can still put up points from the 3rd line center slot. Yes...he's not the 2nd line center everyone had hoped he'd be. But we don't need him to be, and the truth is, his talents are more conducive to him anchoring the 3rd line, and he does it well. Very very well.

My question is....if you trade Bolland, who in the lineup replaces him? Does that person do the things Bolland does as well, or better? Next...what do you get back for him? Does HE do what Bolland does as well, or better?

I see a ton of room for traders remorse if we ship out Bolland for anything short of the right circumstances, and for the right return.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:

Whitney was pretty much useless in that series. All of Phoenix's top players were. Boedker and some of their other depth guys scored almost all of their goals.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Nobody wants Bolland traded. They would like him moved back to the third line where he performs best.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:02 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Nobody wants Bolland traded. They would like him moved back to the third line where he performs best.
after the season is through we should consider trading him in the offseason.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
I agree with this. Just have to make due until Sharp and Hoss are back.

I have to say, having those two guys on the shelf isn't a horrible thing. It really gives you a chance to see how your depth and everything else stacks up. We wouldn't be getting the look we are at some guys without things going down this way...and I think it's a luxury to know where you stand as an organization before things get down and dirty in the playoffs.

All I know is...I hope management stays the course with the depth in our organization. We have top notch talent between Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland and Bolland. Our youth depth with Saad, Shaw, Hayes, Morin, etc. is marvelous. I'd hate to see the pipeline get destroyed for the pursuit of a short term stopgap. I wouldn't mind seeing an Ott or Roy type player brought into the mix as a rental this year as long as we didn't have to give up anything of significance for it. I think Ott in particular is just the type of player this team could use.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
after the season is through we should consider trading him in the offseason.
I think you have to with the cap and all. This offseason will be interesting to say the least.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Hawkaholic

The only way you trade Bolland (even in the offseason) is if either:

A) the player coming back is better offensively and just as good defensively
B) the player is the same offensively, and defensively, but makes a little less

So, basically, if they can get a guy like Frans Neilson, Bolland is tradeable. If it's a Paul Stastny, or Derek Roy, or Mike Ribiero...no thanks.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
The only way you trade Bolland (even in the offseason) is if either:

A) the player coming back is better offensively and just as good defensively
B) the player is the same offensively, and defensively, but makes a little less

So, basically, if they can get a guy like Frans Neilson, Bolland is tradeable. If it's a Paul Stastny, or Derek Roy, or Mike Ribiero...no thanks.
You trade him in season if it can help land a true #2 C

In offseason you trade him simply to get assets/cap room ,, Kruger can slide into 3rd line C role next year and perform the taks Bolland has over last few years

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
You trade him in season if it can help land a true #2 C

In offseason you trade him simply to get assets/cap room ,, Kruger can slide into 3rd line C role next year and perform the taks Bolland has over last few years
No, you don't.

You don't trade him to get assets or cap room, and there is no way in hell Kruger can replace him in any situation.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

I think you have to consider trading him for a 2C and/or cap relief. It is just the nature of the league with the cap going down.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I think you have to consider trading him for a 2C and/or cap relief. It is just the nature of the league with the cap going down.
Like I said, if that player coming back is as good defensively, I have no problem with it. None of Stastny, Roy or Ribiero fit that.

Frans Neilson? Sure, for the cap relief and not much of a drop defensively.

For any true #2 C? No.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Bolland has been garbage this year ,, He is not this god defensively that his fans make him out to be

He is a very good 3rd line C when healthy and when he actually gives a damn ,, Kruger is capable of taking over 3rd line C role without any dropoff from what Bolland brings

Dont understand why a 3rd line C who has bad back/Struggles with consistancy and is 1 year away from UFA should be regarded as anything that "Shouldn't be traded"

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Bolland has been garbage this year ,, He is not this god defensively that his fans make him out to be

He is a very good 3rd line C when healthy and when he actually gives a damn ,, Kruger is capable of taking over 3rd line C role without any dropoff from what Bolland brings

Dont understand why a 3rd line C who has bad back/Struggles with consistancy and is 1 year away from UFA should be regarded as anything that "Shouldn't be traded"
I agree with that 100%.

I would take Stastny if his contract was not so large. How is trading Bolland for a more skilled player a bad thing?! Something I am trying to understand from some posters.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
RomersWorld

Quote:

Revisionist history at its finest.

Game 1: 22 minutes, 1 shot, 2 PIMs, 0 points, 0 +/-
Game 2: 25 minutes, 0 shots, 2 PIMs, 0 points, -2
Game 3: 23 minutes, 9 shots, 1 goal, +1
Game 4: 21 minutes, 2 shots, 1 assist, +1
Game 5: 19 minutes, 3 shots, 0 points, 0 +/-
Game 6: 17 minutes, 2 shots, 1 assist(PP), +1
TOTAL: 6 games, 17 shots, 1 goal, 2 assists, +1

He had 1 goal, 1 assist at even strength in 6 games. Domination! 2 points in 6 games is great for him considering he had 77 points in the regular season...2nd best in the West after Sedin.

It is funny though how you criticize Bolland for being great in the playoffs only 3 of the 4 years he has played in them but you don't bring up the face of Marcus Kruger sucking

Marcus Kruger Playoffs:
2011-12: 6 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, -4, 13 shots

You want him to be 3rd line center because Bolland sucked in the playoffs?

Dave Bolland Playoffs:
2011-12: 6 games, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points, +0, 23 shots

Considering this was Bolland's worst playoffs in 4 years, well...he is still too much better than Kruger to let him go...especially in the playoffs.

Dave Bolland playoffs:
49 games, 14 goals, 23 assists, 37 points, +11 : 0.755 points per game
Patrick Sharp playoffs(with Hawks):
52 games, 22 goals, 17 assists, 39 points, +6 : 0.750 points per game
Marian Hossa playoffs(with Hawks):
32 games, 5 goals, 16 assists, 21 points, +10 : 0.656 points per game
Andrew Ladd playoffs(with Hawks):
36 games, 6 goals, 4 assists, 10 points, +7 : 0.278 points per game
Marcus Kruger playoffs:
11 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point, -2 : 0.091 points per game

Amazing how unappreciated Bolland is. He outproduces 5.9 mil cap hit Sharp and 5.3 mil cap hit(real salary like 8 mil) in the playoffs but somehow that doesn't matter? Somehow Bolland needs to be traded because he is better suited as the best 3rd line center in the NHL? Doesn't make sense to me. You'd think having a guy who outproduces our top 6 players on the 3rd line would be a hot commodity for people. As far as I can tell the Hawks are 1st in the NHL so who gives **** about the regular season?

2008-09: 4th for Hawks in points for forwards(ahead of Versteeg, Sharp, Byfuglien, Ladd)
2009-10: 5th for Hawks in points for forwards(ahead of Hossa, Versteeg, Brouwer, Ladd)
2010-11: 1st for Hawks in points for forwards(ahead of Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp) - Bolly played only 4 games, everyone else 7 but still finished 1st
2011-12: 3rd for Hawks in points for forwards(ahead of Sharp, Hossa, Bickell, Stalberg) - Hossa 0 points in 3 games, injury early in 3rd game

Yes, this guy needs to be moved clearly. No reason to keep the most consistent point producer in the playoffs other than Toews/Kane.

It is also quite interesting Bolland has scored more points than Sharp in the playoffs 3 out 4 times and SCORED MORE POINTS THAN HOSSA IN THE PLAYOFFS ALL 3 YEARS HOSSA HAS BEEN A BLACKHAWKS PLAYER.

Last edited by RomersWorld: 04-01-2013 at 01:11 PM.
RomersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

rewatch the games and you will see Whitney having the puck on his stick when he was on the ice. Whtiney wasn't their problem.

Bolland is not a #2 Center and the bottom 6 is doing fine with Shaw and Krüger. He will want a raise on his contract soon and in this case, we should really consider trading him in the offseason

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

He has not been garbage this year, he hasn't been a #2C, but he hasn't been garbage.

He is the best 3rd line C when healthy, and he is normally one of our better defensive forwards. Kruger is not capable of taking over what Bolland does, shutting down the opposition when it matters. Not even close.

He doesn't have a bad back, and what 3rd line C doesn't struggle with consistency, that's why they are 3rd line C's and not top 6. The reason he shouldn't be traded is because we don't lack scoring, and do lack defensive players who can shut down the other teams top players.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:46 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:

Garbage is of course going too far. There is very, very little to suggest that Kruger could carry the third line. Bolland has put up 40-pt seasons on the THIRD LINE up against teams' best players. So yeah he is struggling now, but I doubt Kruger is the solution.

Not to mention the 2nd line C need is way overblown. You are of course correct that organization should not have given in to Sharp's requirement to not play C. He's getting paid 6 mil a year and is pretty good at the dot and is good in his own end. He should be playing C on 2nd line.

Part of the problem is that even though Bolland was moved up to 2C, that lin enow becomes the "checking" line much of the time. Which seems like an odd match-up with Kane on wing doing not much defensively.

Either way what is solution? Trading Bolland (signed for another year) for a rental? Maybe a marginal upgrade this year but we are worse off next season.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Tim Sassone ‏@TimSassone 2m
Apparently #Blackhawks ready to move forward with Bolland as their 2nd line center.
“We’ve done pretty good so far with that,” Bowman said."

what else is there to say at this point?

i seriously hope bowman is only talking about this year and not permanently

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote