HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#33 |New York Islanders vs. Wasington Capitals | Mar 26 | 7 PM | W 3-2

Old
03-26-2013, 11:04 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Because of the lockout, it's been a weird season. He played over in Switzerland and was playing wing on the big ice surface. Has to rush back to the NHL. Playing center again and having to absolutely carry his line for anything to happen. In the early part of the season, he was the 2nd leading TOI forward in the league in a condensed schedule. He's got to be a little tired.

He strikes me as a creature of habit and the lockout has thrown him off a bit. He does need to play better, but he's earned enough points with me to give him a little bit of a pass on not being as consistently dominant as he was last season.
I think he's very tired, but so is everyone. No excuses. This team needs our best player to be HIS BEST, if there's a remote chance of the playoffs.

But I've long said JT is set-up to fail. Not statistically, because he'll get points. The PP will always be good but he kills himself 5on5 being the first guy in on the forecheck and skating back hard (like he did on the Crosby-to-Kunitz 2-2Goal vs the Pens. That stuff wears you down physically and mentally.

I'd play him with Cizikas and Martin for two weeks, 5on5 only. He will be completely refreshed and he'll produce much better with those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Definitely agree that Tavares, although playing fine overall, needs to a bit better than he has been lately. The JT of last season looked much more dominant, but that's not to say that JT has been bad this season. IMO losing PAP hurt JT a bit, because PAP was a solid puck carrier and also did more dirty work than either of Moulson or Boyes. The Moulson and Boyes combo is way too soft to be playing with JT, one of them needs to go (should be Boyes) and replaced with a more gritty winger (why not try Martin there?).
Tavares can't play the same way as he did last year. Notice how they RARELY score from offensive zone pressure, cycling? Tavares is ineffective at generating chances down low, those power moves to the net are gone. They gain the zone and for the most part it's ONE PASS and the opponents are out - then they are pinned in their own end and scored upon A LOT.

I'd argue JT was far better with KO on the wing, even though Okposo wasn't scoring. He worked hard and they allowed much fewer goals against.

But Capuano sees a different game, and he's the coach, not me.

But I see a player (in JT) who's A)talented as hell B) works his tail off C) wants to win more than anyone in the organization
BUT he's frustrated (at himself mostly) and worn down mentally and physically. His 22 year old body won't last long in an environment like this.

But as I said, I'm just a hockey fan and semi-poster on a message board. I don't make decisions, just observations.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:16 AM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think he's very tired, but so is everyone. No excuses. This team needs our best player to be HIS BEST, if there's a remote chance of the playoffs.

But I've long said JT is set-up to fail. Not statistically, because he'll get points. The PP will always be good but he kills himself 5on5 being the first guy in on the forecheck and skating back hard (like he did on the Crosby-to-Kunitz 2-2Goal vs the Pens. That stuff wears you down physically and mentally.

I'd play him with Cizikas and Martin for two weeks, 5on5 only. He will be completely refreshed and he'll produce much better with those guys.

Tavares can't play the same way as he did last year. Notice how they RARELY score from offensive zone pressure, cycling? Tavares is ineffective at generating chances down low, those power moves to the net are gone. They gain the zone and for the most part it's ONE PASS and the opponents are out - then they are pinned in their own end and scored upon A LOT.

I'd argue JT was far better with KO on the wing, even though Okposo wasn't scoring. He worked hard and they allowed much fewer goals against.

But I see a player (in JT) who's A)talented as hell B) works his tail off C) wants to win more than anyone in the organization
BUT he's frustrated (at himself mostly) and worn down mentally and physically. His 22 year old body won't last long in an environment like this.

But as I said, I'm just a hockey fan and semi-poster on a message board. I don't make decisions, just observations.
Very well said. I agree with you 100%, and I think from the start of the season that these new line combs definitely hindered JT's game. But nonetheless, he's still by far one of the best player's in the league IMO. Very few games this season have I witnessed an opponent be as dominant as JT. I know Howie mentions it all the time, everytime he gets the puck, there's this excitement that takes over because everyone knows how lethal he is.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Interesting thought. I wouldn't be against it

Quote:
Agreed. KO's been playing much better lately, Cappy should consider switching him and Boyes who wasn't that bad with Nielsen and Grabs earlier this season.

kuwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:29 PM
SDIsles34

Tavares isn't doing anything much different BUT Boyes is turning the puck over more and more. Notice the lack of offensive zone time for line 1? We need a possession guy with playing making skills to maximize JT's presence and Moulson finishing in tight. Blame Boyes

SDIsles34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:31 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

I think Martin should get a shot with Moulson and JT....Of everyone I think if nothing else he deserves an "atta boy" for the style of game he's brought all season....He definately has improved his skating and his work on the boards and behind the net would be a welcomed sight on the JT line.....When its not JT doing it. I do agree that JT must be breaking down to a certain extent due to the schedule mixed with him having to do all the work on his line. Hopefully a move like this could get him back to what he does best...create and score goals

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Gotta get 2. I'll be scoreboard watching at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

03-26-2013, 01:23 PM
xECK29x

Need two in regulation, that's all.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Hipietro

Hopefully Evgeni "Stopgap" Nabokov can keep the Caps off the board.

Just win.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I've grown too apathetic towards the Caps. I want to hate them again like I did during the '93 Playoffs. Please put a beating on them tonight.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:23 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Definitely agree that Tavares, although playing fine overall, needs to a bit better than he has been lately. The JT of last season looked much more dominant, but that's not to say that JT has been bad this season. IMO losing PAP hurt JT a bit, because PAP was a solid puck carrier and also did more dirty work than either of Moulson or Boyes. The Moulson and Boyes combo is way too soft to be playing with JT, one of them needs to go (should be Boyes) and replaced with a more gritty winger (why not try Martin there?).
I agree with the first part you said, but PA didn't go into the corners to get the puck.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Agree with all of this. Boyes is a turnover machine and he's too similar of a player of Moulson. They can't be on the same line, I don't know why Capuano doesn't change it, clearly it's not working. Okposo isn't a turnover machine, he will go in the corners and work very hard to get the puck.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Agree with all of this. Boyes is a turnover machine and he's too similar of a player of Moulson. They can't be on the same line, I don't know why Capuano doesn't change it, clearly it's not working. Okposo isn't a turnover machine, he will go in the corners and work very hard to get the puck.
I just don't understand how we have a superstar player and haven't tried to put more combinations around him to see what works? It's insanity.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Islander Prophet

we win

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Gonna be listening to the radio broadcast.. Hope we can pull this one off.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I just don't understand how we have a superstar player and haven't tried to put more combinations around him to see what works? It's insanity.
What works for this team is the hitters hit, the scorers score, the Reasoners reason....so Boyes and Moulson are doing great playing a non-physical game that showcases Tavares having to carry the team. THAT would be why they only just recently tried Martin and CMac on JT's wing.....and I doubt we'll see that again.

They have to figure out what they want before they know what works in the case. They don't think a physical specimen helps JT's scoring line.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
YearlyLottery

Big game tonight! Can't wait!!

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:45 PM
isleskovalchuk

This is the biggest game this team ahs played ina long time. Let's hope they show up

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:20 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
What works for this team is the hitters hit, the scorers score, the Reasoners reason....so Boyes and Moulson are doing great playing a non-physical game that showcases Tavares having to carry the team. THAT would be why they only just recently tried Martin and CMac on JT's wing.....and I doubt we'll see that again.

They have to figure out what they want before they know what works in the case. They don't think a physical specimen helps JT's scoring line.
I don't disagree with you, but I also didn't mention anything about it having to be someone physical. There's a good amount of agreement on this board that we think that would help JT's game by clearing some of the room for him, and I am one of them.

But what about Bailey? Or Grabner? Or Ullstrom before he got injured? Just try something different since your franchise player is struggling and his line has the worst +/- in the league. One of the pains of this team is that we will go into the off-season with just as many questions as we had coming into this season.

What do we have in Ullstrom? No idea.
What do we have in Poulin? No idea.
What kind of player is a good fit on JT's wing? No idea.
How's Grabner's ability to step in as a consistent secondary scoring threat? No idea.
How was Nino's ability to produce on the NHL level in a top 6 role? No idea.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Macch

Quote:

Its the Islanders brass. As Redbull eluded to, you can tell JT is tired. He does EVERYTHING for his line. He's the one going into the corners to get the puck. He's always the first one in on the forecheck. Moulson or Boyes don't do any grunt work.

But hey they scored 3 goals vs Florida. No reason for change.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
I don't disagree with you, but I also didn't mention anything about it having to be someone physical. There's a good amount of agreement on this board that we think that would help JT's game by clearing some of the room for him, and I am one of them.

But what about Bailey? Or Grabner? Or Ullstrom before he got injured? Just try something different since your franchise player is struggling and his line has the worst +/- in the league. One of the pains of this team is that we will go into the off-season with just as many questions as we had coming into this season.

What do we have in Ullstrom? No idea.
What do we have in Poulin? No idea.
What kind of player is a good fit on JT's wing? No idea.
How's Grabner's ability to step in as a consistent secondary scoring threat? No idea.
How was Nino's ability to produce on the NHL level in a top 6 role? No idea.
I've always wanted Grabner on JT's line. His speed could really help open up things for JT. Tavares is the only one on his line who can carry the puck into the offensive zone and he never has any room because of it. Grabner is good at carrying the puck in and a decent passer. Grabner is not really the best playmaker but he's a good enough finisher and will allow Tavares to have more room to work. Its atleast worth a shot in my opinion. He will also help sure up that line defensively.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:55 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
I've always wanted Grabner on JT's line. His speed could really help open up things for JT. Tavares is the only one on his line who can carry the puck into the offensive zone and he never has any room because of it. Grabner is good at carrying the puck in and a decent passer. Grabner is not really the best playmaker but he's a good enough finisher and will allow Tavares to have more room to work. Its atleast worth a shot in my opinion. He will also help sure up that line defensively.
I would also like to see this. Maybe with Okposo on the RW as he's gaining steam and does a lot of grinding lately. JT would have more space than now with his linemate's speed. How about this:

Okposo - Tavares - Grabner

Moulson - Nielsen - Bailey (Boyes)

McDonald - Aucoin - Boyes (Bailey)

Martin - Reasoner - Cizikas

I'd also like to get Casey on the 3rd line eventually and obviously Reasoner replaced. Though Reasoner is doing more things for us than last year, it's not enough on a successful team. He's a decent PKer and is giving effort but he can't score on an open net...

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
CREW99AW

Let's go Isles

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
I didn't check stats or dates, but from memory it really seems like their better play coincides with the return of Backstrom. He is far more important to that team than OV is, and has been for a few seasons.

Backstrom has one primary assist on the PP.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Macch

Here is something you'll never see from the Islanders...

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 1m
#NYR Some interesting line shake-ups for Rangers if pre-game rushes are any indications

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:10 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

I love winning faceoffs.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote