HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Preliminary Poll: Where will the Oilers finish in the West this season?

View Poll Results: Where will the Oilers finish in the Western Conference standings this season?
1st 11 4.76%
2nd 1 0.43%
3rd 1 0.43%
4th 2 0.87%
5th 6 2.60%
6th 13 5.63%
7th 37 16.02%
8th 48 20.78%
9th 33 14.29%
10th 51 22.08%
11th 17 7.36%
12th 6 2.60%
13th 2 0.87%
14th 3 1.30%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-24-2013, 03:41 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Preliminary Poll: Where will the Oilers finish in the West this season?

OK... time for a poll here to get an idea what everyone sees as being the probable finish for the Oilers in the West this season.

It's getting to be the dog days of summer... MacT may or may not be done for the summer but since it's slowing down and the rosters around the league are taking shape I'd like to get a feel for where everyone feels the Oilers will place in the Western Conference standings based on your outlook as of right now.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
No 15th or 16th place options?

Pfffffffffft.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
14th.

If you set the bar low, the season isn't as frustrating when they finish in top 10 drafting territory, and has potential to be awesome if they make a slight push for the playoffs.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Right around the same as this year. Maybe a couple spots higher.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Krut

Does west place finish even matter anymore? W should be looking at where we end up in the division.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:36 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

we still aren't a playoff team. made changes, but maybe we are only marginally better. that said, if the young gunz continue to develop, we could finish higher than i'm thinking we will, which is around 10th or so.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
has anyone complied stats as to how long it takes teams who finish last to rebuild and make the playoffs?
this has got to be one of the worst rebuilds ever if at this point people are hoping this year the Oilers can at least come close to making the playoffs.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Soundwave

Kind of a scary thought but I think the entire season basically rests on RNH's shoulder. Literally.

If the shoulder doesn't heal properly or he reinjures it and has to miss a good chunk of games -- pretty much zero chance of playoffs.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Soundwave

Organizationally we made a mistake not embracing the rebuild a bit earlier. Should have made a run at Tavares.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Kind of a scary thought but I think the entire season basically rests on RNH's shoulder. Literally.

If the shoulder doesn't heal properly or he reinjures it and has to miss a good chunk of games -- pretty much zero chance of playoffs.
barring two (not one) of the kids going supernova, we have zero chance at the playoffs... we'll be slightly better than last year i would guess, but still nowhere near the playoffs

- our bottom 6 is just as bad as last year... boyd the player is about equal to horcoff the player, only horcoffs contract is worse.... jones is the same, smyth will be worse, brown is the same, eager will be the same and joensuu is a 4th liner plug... hemsky could maybe give some offence from the 3rd line i suppose

- top-6 (assuming RNH is healthy) should be better due to experience for the kids and the addition of perron.... still really small though, and that will hurt us in our divisional play

- defense is better with addition of ference, maturation of j.schultz and petry... we also have some competition for the bottom pairing and 7th dman, which should mean 3 of n.schultz/grebs/belov/larsen/potter/klefbom should able to actually play a little

- tending might be the same or ever so slightly better... dubnyk will be roughly the same, but labarbera might be a slighty upgrade on khabbi

unless 2 of RNH/hall/eberle/yakupov score 70+ points, we don't have a chance really

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:09 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

this is a silly poll considering conference standing mean squat

should have a division standings

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Organizationally we made a mistake not embracing the rebuild a bit earlier. Should have made a run at Tavares.
Yup!

Hall - Tavares - Yakupov
(Gagner trade) - RNH - Eberle

WOWWWWWWW

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:17 AM
CupofOil

Too many question marks as seems to be the case every offseason with the Oilers.
I do think that Ference and Gordon bring much needed stability to those positions which will help and Perron eliminates one question mark because lets face it, Paajarvi was a big question mark as a top 6 player even with the improvements last season.

All in all, it boils down to 4 specific players IMO. RNH, J. Schultz, Petry and Dubnyk.
RNH and Dubnyk are especially key because the depth at those positions is scary bad. If RNH isn't healthy most of the season and Dubnyk doesn't progress, it doesn't matter what the rest of the roster does. I think it will fall somewhere in the middle. RNH will be better than last season but it will take a good chunk of the season for him to get back to 100% and Dubnyk is what he is. He'll show some flashes but let in his usual softies so all this adds up to the Oilers being somewhat improved but not good enough to make the playoffs. Still too soft and too thin at some key positions to make a serious run for the playoffs. If any serious injuries happen to the top 6 guys, the team might actually regress.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Below Ana, LA, Chi, Stl, Sjs, Van. Above Winnipeg and Calgary.

Among Col, Phx, Min, Col, Dal, Nsh.

So around 9th I guess.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:31 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I agree with CupOfOil.

but picked 8th. Last year I said head said 10th, gut said 7th.

one reason for optimism is I don't believe many of the Pacific are greatly improved from last year so maybe we can gain ground

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:35 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Does west place finish even matter anymore? W should be looking at where we end up in the division.

I'm sure it will still end up being the top 8 in the conference.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

If Ales Hemsky, Ryan Smyth, Jesse Joensuu, and Mike Brown are getting regular shifts in the bottom 6, this is not a playoff team.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:08 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
If Ales Hemsky, Ryan Smyth, Jesse Joensuu, and Mike Brown are getting regular shifts in the bottom 6, this is not a playoff team.
A third line of, Jones - Gordon - Hemsky isn't so bad. Two very good defensive/energy guys paired with a skill player would do alright IMO.

MacT even said he would like some scoring from bottom two lines, this would provide a bit of that, from the 3rd line at least.

Though I am worried about the 4th line.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:13 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

different coach, different system

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:15 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
has anyone complied stats as to how long it takes teams who finish last to rebuild and make the playoffs?
this has got to be one of the worst rebuilds ever if at this point people are hoping this year the Oilers can at least come close to making the playoffs.
It seems to be an accelerated process when you got quality veterans who can help guide the young stars a lot quicker, thus expediting the process like every other rebuilding team has / had besides us.

Don't know why anyone compares us to any other rebuild, they all have their own variables. No assets to obtain quality veterans with, awful location at the time (no veteran wants to join a rebuild in the early stages) leading to no quality leadership.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:18 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
So you thought the rebuild would be 3 years long?

Old
07-24-2013, 10:21 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

We'll be behind LA, SJ, Ana, Chi, and StL for sure.

Probably Van too, although I think that team may surprise some and have a poor year(for them) The Sedins strike me as the type of players that could have a fast fall when they eventually decline. And even 70-80% of the old Sedins puts the Canucks in the middle of the pack.

We'll probably be fighting it out with Min(and Van) for one of the wildcard spots. Probably too optimistic, but I think the kids will take a step forward and the bottom 6 and D won't be the hindrances they have been in the past.

We should be ahead of Win, Col, Nash, Dal, Phx, and Cgy, imo.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:24 AM
NMK

1.Chi
2.LA
3.STL
4.Min
5.Van
6.SJ
7.Edm
8.Anh

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
armandh01

We lost last year about 2+ games directly related to awful coaching (probably more tbh) and system. (Detroit near the end comes to mind)

A couple related directly to Ryan Whitneys awful defensive play early in the season.

A few related to our awful bottom 6 who could not shutdown anyone.

To me we are better now in at least 2 of these areas. Mostly coaching (no I don't have to see how Eakins coaches to know he's better, he can't be worse). We were also snake bitten pretty good early on.

We'll be in the thick of fighting for a playoff spot. I predict we finish 7th in the west. We should have won at least 3 more games last season if we didn't settle on Kruegers patented ideas such as a) sitting on a lead and b) playing the 4th line way too much. Combine this with better D and our young players aging, we should be improved.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Perfect_Drug

I think we need at least a season of a near-miss to finally reach over the hump to being a perennial playoff team.

This miight be that year. But there's no indication we'll get any secondary scoring.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote