HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How pathetic must team be before Gainey reacts?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Exactly. And it's unfortunate, because my guess is that Therrien was not a terribly bad coach.
The fact he wasn't a terribly good coach either, got him canned.

Quote:
And that Julien is a quality coach. But Therrien did not get a fair shake, and Julien likely will not either. It's definitely hard to tell how good they are though, for the reasons pointed out.
Therrien never got a fair shake? That's debateable, considering his record and emberassing actions behind the bench.

[qote]A good tactical coach will get a team to overachieve. Overachieving brings team unity. Team unity brings collective leadership. And collective leadership gets vocal leaders giving (and then acting) on adrenaline-rushing speeches.[/QUOTE]

Jaques Lemaire may be the best example of this. He installs a solid system, and makes the players believe in it. I can't say I have seen this system by Therrien, or Julien.

The players look confused in the offensive zone. They refuse to shoot, or cycle the puck with any regularity. System?

Old
09-24-2003, 09:13 PM
tinyzombies

I agree with what a previous poster said. The last coach to get anything from this team was really Carbonneau. That's my impression at least. Julien is fine with the kids I'm sure and Jarvis is a teacher as well, but so is Carbo and nobody will **** with Carbo.

He tried to stab Julien in the back by floating that he was interested in the job, but maybe that's the type of guy that we need here in Montreal. Tremblay was similar, but Carbo is light years ahead of Tremblay in hockey knowledge it seems. He just seems to know the details better.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
The fact he wasn't a terribly good coach either, got him canned.

Therrien never got a fair shake? That's debateable, considering his record and emberassing actions behind the bench.

Jaques Lemaire may be the best example of this. He installs a solid system, and makes the players believe in it. I can't say I have seen this system by Therrien, or Julien.

The players look confused in the offensive zone. They refuse to shoot, or cycle the puck with any regularity. System?
I'm not arguing Therrien was a good coach. You should know I wasn't a big fan of his, but was less of a fan of the players he had to work with. I don't think he was solely to blame for the team's brutal performances night in, night out. Without a coachable lineup, I don't think he was ever given a fair shake.

That said, I don't think he even deserved a fair shake to begin with.

I think it's too early to judge on Julien's system, by the way. And I do like the hiring of Julien, but hope he'll be given a fair shake as he's earned it in my opinion.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:56 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I'm not arguing Therrien was a good coach. You should know I wasn't a big fan of his, but was less of a fan of the players he had to work with. I don't think he was solely to blame for the team's brutal performances night in, night out. Without a coachable lineup, I don't think he was ever given a fair shake.

That said, I don't think he even deserved a fair shake to begin with.

I think it's too early to judge on Julien's system, by the way. And I do like the hiring of Julien, but hope he'll be given a fair shake as he's earned it in my opinion.
I actually really liked Vigneault, and what he accomplished with the horrid cast of players he was forced to work with.

I guess I'm at the point, where I would like to see a proven winner behind the bench. If that person is a former player, or coach, then fine. It just seems a proud franchise, like this, deserves at least this one commodity to build around.

Experimenting behind the bench is a risky business, it rarely works. Julien has put his time in the minor ranks, so perhaps he can have some success.

If this team played its heart out, and lost, I would be happy. Then again, I'm not convinced we have the players to make this sacrifice. So, I'll give Julien a chance. I hope Gainey can give him the character players needed.

Genereally though, I do tend to agree with you on the problems at hand.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:33 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
Ummm.. how was that a bad trade for Dallas? He was working for them at the time... It was an excellent trade for him
You missed the joke. The joke was Gainey is equally at fault for having Audette with us. The point is moot anyways because Audette could have been quite successful here without that unforseeable wrist injury,a nd still could be if he picks up where he left off last season.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:34 AM
pup

vCash:
Audtte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
You missed the joke. The joke was Gainey is equally at fault for having Audette with us. The point is moot anyways because Audette could have been quite successful here without that unforseeable wrist injury,a nd still could be if he picks up where he left off last season.
So far this pre season,Audette looks worse than ever.

Useless crap.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:04 AM
Habnot

Finally a half-decent thread. There hasn't been to many of these lately.

Here are my two cents:

1. Gainey has very little wiggle room. AS left him with contracts that no GM in their right mind will trade for.

2. Offense will be a problem all year so get used to boring defensive battles.

3. Pre-season has been positive from the perspective that Julien and the Habs brass have decided that the only way to win is to instill a true defensive system. So far the results have been positive. The Habs have kept the score down and also controlled the game. They outplayed Boston and Toronto by all accounts.

4. The only "move" that can help the Habs is moving Brisebois for some offensive help. I think this will happen sooner than later. There is abundance of D-men and I we keep hearing how Brisebois has bulked up (upper body) and playing more agressive. Either the spin doctors are working overtime or Breezby has turned himself into a true NHL d-man. Eitherway, the Habs will trade him.

5. Finally I'm convinced the Habs have turned the corner because they finally have upper-level management that won't listen to certain members of the French Press. For all of those 110% listeners, you know who they are. Don't underestimate the power of these voices and over the years they have forced mistakes from AS and Houle. Do you think Audette, Perreault, Juneau would of played anywhere else in the NHL.

Gainey won't listen to any of that crap. We have already heard how boring the Habs are, how useless Rivet is, Koivu sucks (Bergeron's new whipping boy), defense sucks, Ribiero is the greatest thing since sliced bread, all the usual crap eminating from Bergeron, Villeneuve and Rinfret.

So arm yourself with patience, get ready for boring defensive hockey but the payoff will be a much more competitive team than last year.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:27 AM
Capitano

Ok, I'm calm now. I'm no longer worried about the upcoming season. It really helps to hear from some smart hab fans. Thanks for helping get to sleep at night boys.

Cap

Closed Thread