HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OIL! @ Blues

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2013, 11:01 PM
  #226
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Should be some interesting comments following the 22 minute closed door meeting.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:10 PM
  #227
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Should be some interesting comments following the 22 minute closed door meeting.
1 hour 17 minutes. Much bigger talk going on.

Bluesman91 is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:29 PM
  #228
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I went to the game and this is what I got from the game.

Blues started off the 1st period slow, they dominated and looked like they weren't even trying. They were overly confident since beating Edmonton so easily just a week ago that they could get by without having to put too much work in.

2nd Period started and play picked up a little bit but lead to 2 quick odd man rush goals. After that we started playing more physical and continued to dominate for the rest of the game, other than actually getting the puck into the net.

We had way too many chances to make a sweet pass to a guy open in the slot, yet we carried it to the outside and make a pass to the point only to get pokechecked and lead to an odd man rush.

My views on players tonight.

Pietrangelo: Awful, absolute garbage. He needs to pick up his skating speed if he is going to continue to step up in the offensive zone or neutral zone and get burnt EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Polak: Jesus Christ! Can you settle the puck once in your life? I know Polak is the least offensively gifted of our D, but there is no reason an NHL caliber player should create so many turnovers as he did tonight. Not to mention he CANNOT stop a puck from clearing the offensive zone to save his life.

Stewart: He looked good at times but with the puck tonight he kind of looked like the Stewart from last year. He wasn't shooting when he usually has this season, he should have made some slick passes but held on to the puck too long and/or made the wrong pass instead of the right one. Didn't play bad but not up to the Stewart standards we have seen this whole year.

Backes: Oh. My. Dear. ****ing. Lord. His physical game was much much better but he turned the puck over and made so many terrible blind passes, he was simply atrocious. Not to mention every shot he had was right at the goalie's chest.

Halak: Hey do you have any rebound control? You don't... Anyways he didn't let up a goal but I've never seen a goalie has worse rebound control than Halak has. Not only that he just looks shaky, looked over his back way too many times a goalie should. Wasn't really challenged a whole lot during the game, but god help him if he faced a quality shot.

Allen: Wasn't his fault, they had 3 scoring chances and capitalized on all of them. First goal he could have saved but I think he relied too much on Jackman blocking the pass. Second goal was just a roofer. Third goal, lol, what was he supposed to do? not have Eberle drill him to the boards?

Frank: Was our best player tonight, great hustle, great moves, shot the puck a lot, and his defensive game is starting to pick up more.

Schwartz: Don't like him on the 4th line but regardless I love his work ethic and his play. When moved to center Tarasenko they looked great, at times there was a little confusion but I think their playstyles will compliment each other very well for years to come. Is Hitch trying to turn Schwartz into a center? I can't say he did bad but as he grows into a man's body and with practice, I think he could be an effective 2-Way Playmaking Center. Think of Steen but more of a playmaker than a shooter.

Sobotka: Was Sobtoka, no complaints.

Berglund: Were you on the ice? Because you were invisible.

Oshie: Played a decent game, but pissed me off quite a bit because of how many times he failed to clear the puck out of the defensive zone.

Shattenkirk: Not bad but not great

Russell: I think Russell looked fine.

Perron: Not bad but sometimes I wish he would make a pass to Tarasenko who gets open for a perfect one-timer. I think he has just been accustomed to playing the perimeter which needs to be fixed if he is playing on a line with Frank. He played with the puck too much at times and made some questionable passes.

Porter: Porter came out throwing his body around, showing off his speed, and was just everywhere. Loved his game and which is why he got bumped up a few lines for awhile tonight.

Redden: Had a decent game but when he did turn the puck over it was just like

Andy (Speed down the wing and lose the puck right after you enter the zone) Mcdonald: Pretty self explanatory from the name I gave him. He's become almost a useless player. He had a few good passes but overall does not make up for his lack of puck control.
Good post. I concur with these thoughts.

Porter's speed has really impressed me. I knew he always had good wheels but I don't remember him being THIS fast last season. He just flies by everyone on the wing. He has got to be the fastest skater on the team IMO (although Russell, Polak, McDonald are right there too). If only he had some hands. But he is what he is, a very hard-working, physical, good 4th-line player. Really like having him on the team, he always brings the effort and does his job very well.

Pietrangelo really did look bad. Very frustrating.

Polak: I love his defensive/physical ability but offensively it's funny to watch. He never hits the net with his shot either.

I would start Allen again on Thursday instead of Halak.

I do like Tarasenko's game since coming back from injury...always seems dangerous with the puck, plus solid overall defensive/physical game.

It's nice how much Russell has turned his game around. He is somewhat limited in his abilities, he is what he is as well, but a solid 3rd-pairing d-man nonetheless. Speed is a positive factor, he looks more confident offensively and much more solid defensively. Underrated shot blocker actually. A good Russell (like what we saw in the playoffs and what we are seeing now) and a bad Russell (earlier this season) is such a humongous difference. At least we have the good one back.

McDonald really isn't impressive at all. Shame.

Nichol is really only effective at winning faceoffs. Wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade there.

Jackman has generally been good with Petro, but Jackman-Shattenkirk and Russell-Polak compliment each other SO well, that it'd be nice if we could finally trade for someone to play with Petro and leave all 3 pairings alone. Redden will hold us back, no matter if he has improved a bit lately.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:35 PM
  #229
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Originally JR tweeted the locker room was closed for 22 minutes. But then maybe there was a subsequent meeting between Hitch and the team leaders? It's not being reported clearly who met whom.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:40 PM
  #230
Colt 55
RIP Oscar
 
Colt 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eureka
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 10,649
vCash: 500
Could you imagine the panic that would ensue around here if sobotka had a bad game?

Colt 55 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:45 PM
  #231
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Could you imagine the panic that would ensue around here if sobotka had a bad game?
It's hard to say Sobotka had a bad game because he hasn't been playing like what he usually is labelled as a 4th/3rd liner. Sobotka's version of playing a bad game is him playing like a 4th line player instead of a 3rd/Fill-In player.

Bluesman91 is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
  #232
YOUR FEARLESS LEADER
rip bruv/cudi
 
YOUR FEARLESS LEADER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: stl
Country: Finland
Posts: 53,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Good post. I concur with these thoughts.

Porter's speed has really impressed me. I knew he always had good wheels but I don't remember him being THIS fast last season. He just flies by everyone on the wing. He has got to be the fastest skater on the team IMO (although Russell, Polak, McDonald are right there too). If only he had some hands. But he is what he is, a very hard-working, physical, good 4th-line player. Really like having him on the team, he always brings the effort and does his job very well.

Pietrangelo really did look bad. Very frustrating.

Polak: I love his defensive/physical ability but offensively it's funny to watch. He never hits the net with his shot either.

I would start Allen again on Thursday instead of Halak.

I do like Tarasenko's game since coming back from injury...always seems dangerous with the puck, plus solid overall defensive/physical game.

It's nice how much Russell has turned his game around. He is somewhat limited in his abilities, he is what he is as well, but a solid 3rd-pairing d-man nonetheless. Speed is a positive factor, he looks more confident offensively and much more solid defensively. Underrated shot blocker actually. A good Russell (like what we saw in the playoffs and what we are seeing now) and a bad Russell (earlier this season) is such a humongous difference. At least we have the good one back.

McDonald really isn't impressive at all. Shame.

Nichol is really only effective at winning faceoffs. Wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade there.

Jackman has generally been good with Petro, but Jackman-Shattenkirk and Russell-Polak compliment each other SO well, that it'd be nice if we could finally trade for someone to play with Petro and leave all 3 pairings alone. Redden will hold us back, no matter if he has improved a bit lately.
3 goals on 7 shots. No.

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
  #233
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
3 goals on 7 shots. No.
None of which were on him(first one a point could be made he should have anticipated the pass, but he relied too much on Jackman blocking the pass). They will play Halak just because of that, but they shouldn't play him because of it.

Bluesman91 is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
  #234
The Note
Time's a Flat Circle
 
The Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
3 goals on 7 shots. No.
Can you really fault him for two of those though?

The Note is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
  #235
YOUR FEARLESS LEADER
rip bruv/cudi
 
YOUR FEARLESS LEADER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: stl
Country: Finland
Posts: 53,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
None of which were on him(first one a point could be made he should have anticipated the pass, but he relied too much on Jackman blocking the pass). They will play Halak just because of that, but they shouldn't play him because of it.
Whether it was on him or not, he still gave up 3 goals on only 7 shots. You don't get two consecutive starts after a game like that whether it was your fault or not

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:52 PM
  #236
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 14,045
vCash: 380
Einstein's definition of insanity states that you repeat an action and expect a different result.

I saw what happens when the action is Halak faces the Kings. I would rather try something different and go with Allen.

Falco Lombardi is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:54 PM
  #237
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 12,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
Whether it was on him or not, he still gave up 3 goals on only 7 shots. You don't get two consecutive starts after a game like that whether it was your fault or not
Agreed, especially since there is a battle for the number 1 spot. If one guy struggles, the other gets the chance. Allen struggled, Jaro deserves the chance.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:02 AM
  #238
The Note
Time's a Flat Circle
 
The Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,193
vCash: 500
Hey at least Thursday we won't outplay our opponent and lose, we'll just straight up lose.

The Note is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:04 AM
  #239
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Thursday is the last chance before playoffs to make a dent in LA's stranglehold. Halak needs to play if he's the intended playoff starter. If a playoff series were starting against LA tomorrow, would Halak be in net? If the answer is yes, then he needs to start Thursday. If the answer is no, then start Allen, but then the plan needs to be starting Allen in the playoffs.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:05 AM
  #240
CarvinSigX
The Toilet
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 11,374
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
Hey at least Thursday we won't outplay our opponent and lose, we'll just straight up lose.
That's the spirit. Sadly, I don't think the sarcasm emoticon is needed. You're likely speaking the truth.

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:13 AM
  #241
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Berglund and Stewart getting back to that bit of inconsistency again. Berglund ... was gonna make a comment about his invisibility during the game but glad others saw the same thing. Stewart ... hmm ... don't want to rag on him because overall his effort this year has been strong, but he did look quiet tonight. Pietrangelo had been looking good again but he definitely had an early-season crop-up. Schwartz, Porter, Sobotka, Tarasenko were bright spots on offense. Tarasenko has gone on a long stretch of dangerous chances thwarted. Feels like when he breaks out it'll be a big breakout.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 12:25 AM
  #242
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Korac offers some clarity in his piece:

Quote:
Maybe that's why the players weren't available for the media until 22 minutes after the end of the game because of a players-only meeting, and coach Ken Hitchcock did not address the media group that waited him out until one hour, 17 minutes after the conclusion of the game as Hitchcock and general manager Doug Armstrong met with team leaders after players addressed the media.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:02 AM
  #243
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Einstein's definition of insanity states that you repeat an action and expect a different result.

I saw what happens when the action is Halak faces the Kings. I would rather try something different and go with Allen.
Exactly.

Halak/Elliott have shown they can't beat LA. It's time to give Allen a shot against them and see what happens. Allen still gives us the best chance to win right now.

Oh but he got pulled since his defense left him hung out to dry. Better put in the guy with a .893 save% again even after he got completely owned last time.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:10 AM
  #244
frostyflo
#peskyblues
 
frostyflo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
I would start Halak the next game against any opponent not named LA

frostyflo is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:49 AM
  #245
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,813
vCash: 500
I'd rather see Allen in goal vs. La than Halak. Allen is bigger (covers more of the net), seems to have much more consistent concentration, squares up better, uses his glove hand (and, therefore, gives up a LOT less rebounds (juicy rebounds). Allen also is much better at handling the puck.

There are too few games left to go into this crucial game with a significantly lower upside potential, and also with a worse proven recent track record. It makes no sense to gamble only on Halak's possible "embarrassment factor". That hasn't worked much at all after his recent poor games.

Allen will be better than Halak, regardless of whether or not his teammates hang the goalie out to dry, or they play relatively well on defence.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 06:11 AM
  #246
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I went to the game and this is what I got from the game.

Blues started off the 1st period slow, they dominated and looked like they weren't even trying. They were overly confident since beating Edmonton so easily just a week ago that they could get by without having to put too much work in.

2nd Period started and play picked up a little bit but lead to 2 quick odd man rush goals. After that we started playing more physical and continued to dominate for the rest of the game, other than actually getting the puck into the net.

We had way too many chances to make a sweet pass to a guy open in the slot, yet we carried it to the outside and make a pass to the point only to get pokechecked and lead to an odd man rush.

My views on players tonight.

Pietrangelo: Awful, absolute garbage. He needs to pick up his skating speed if he is going to continue to step up in the offensive zone or neutral zone and get burnt EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Polak: Jesus Christ! Can you settle the puck once in your life? I know Polak is the least offensively gifted of our D, but there is no reason an NHL caliber player should create so many turnovers as he did tonight. Not to mention he CANNOT stop a puck from clearing the offensive zone to save his life.

Stewart: He looked good at times but with the puck tonight he kind of looked like the Stewart from last year. He wasn't shooting when he usually has this season, he should have made some slick passes but held on to the puck too long and/or made the wrong pass instead of the right one. Didn't play bad but not up to the Stewart standards we have seen this whole year.

Backes: Oh. My. Dear. ****ing. Lord. His physical game was much much better but he turned the puck over and made so many terrible blind passes, he was simply atrocious. Not to mention every shot he had was right at the goalie's chest.

Halak: Hey do you have any rebound control? You don't... Anyways he didn't let up a goal but I've never seen a goalie has worse rebound control than Halak has. Not only that he just looks shaky, looked over his back way too many times a goalie should. Wasn't really challenged a whole lot during the game, but god help him if he faced a quality shot.

Allen: Wasn't his fault, they had 3 scoring chances and capitalized on all of them. First goal he could have saved but I think he relied too much on Jackman blocking the pass. Second goal was just a roofer. Third goal, lol, what was he supposed to do? not have Eberle drill him to the boards?

Frank: Was our best player tonight, great hustle, great moves, shot the puck a lot, and his defensive game is starting to pick up more.

Schwartz: Don't like him on the 4th line but regardless I love his work ethic and his play. When moved to center Tarasenko they looked great, at times there was a little confusion but I think their playstyles will compliment each other very well for years to come. Is Hitch trying to turn Schwartz into a center? I can't say he did bad but as he grows into a man's body and with practice, I think he could be an effective 2-Way Playmaking Center. Think of Steen but more of a playmaker than a shooter.

Sobotka: Was Sobtoka, no complaints.

Berglund: Were you on the ice? Because you were invisible.

Oshie: Played a decent game, but pissed me off quite a bit because of how many times he failed to clear the puck out of the defensive zone.

Shattenkirk: Not bad but not great

Russell: I think Russell looked fine.

Perron: Not bad but sometimes I wish he would make a pass to Tarasenko who gets open for a perfect one-timer. I think he has just been accustomed to playing the perimeter which needs to be fixed if he is playing on a line with Frank. He played with the puck too much at times and made some questionable passes.

Porter: Porter came out throwing his body around, showing off his speed, and was just everywhere. Loved his game and which is why he got bumped up a few lines for awhile tonight.

Redden: Had a decent game but when he did turn the puck over it was just like

Andy (Speed down the wing and lose the puck right after you enter the zone) Mcdonald: Pretty self explanatory from the name I gave him. He's become almost a useless player. He had a few good passes but overall does not make up for his lack of puck control.
My sentiments almost exactly... Maybe Pietro needs to be the piece that goes. He seems to cost us more goals than he can create. Can't win that way. Just frustrating me to no end. Oshie needs to shoot the puck...we get it...you have great hands...now put the puck on goal and clear the puck out of your own zone. Perron doesn't need to be on the ice with teammates. I wish it was a video game where I could press a button and make him pass...see the wide open one timer...press the A button... Backes needs a $100 jar to drop money in everytime he shoots the puck at the goalies chest...helped my grandfather quit smoking...maybe he will go to the left or right. Stewart, Berglund, McDonald, Steen, Shatty...did you even play last night? We lost to Edmonton...

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 06:19 AM
  #247
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12,805
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
My sentiments almost exactly... Maybe Pietro needs to be the piece that goes. He seems to cost us more goals than he can create. Can't win that way. Just frustrating me to no end. Oshie needs to shoot the puck...we get it...you have great hands...now put the puck on goal and clear the puck out of your own zone. Perron doesn't need to be on the ice with teammates. I wish it was a video game where I could press a button and make him pass...see the wide open one timer...press the A button... Backes needs a $100 jar to drop money in everytime he shoots the puck at the goalies chest...helped my grandfather quit smoking...maybe he will go to the left or right. Stewart, Berglund, McDonald, Steen, Shatty...did you even play last night? We lost to Edmonton...
That should only be frustration talking, because if you are even 1% serious in that statement you should consult a medical professional.

Alklha is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 06:31 AM
  #248
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
That should only be frustration talking, because if you are even 1% serious in that statement you should consult a medical professional.
It's frustration...I know how valuable a piece he is. I have to be honest though. If the Blues did decide to trade him, then I can see why they did. He has really cost them this year. I don't know, if it is the pressure of the contract or what. He has several games that you can point to that he was a prime factor in why they lost.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:02 AM
  #249
fst6
Moderator
JuhaMetsolaForVezina
 
fst6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 65,009
vCash: 50
This is the NHL. Not EA Sports or minor hockey. Just shooting it rarely goes in, and is a waste of an opportunity.

fst6 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:09 AM
  #250
erderuft
Registered User
 
erderuft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Borås, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Thursday is the last chance before playoffs to make a dent in LA's stranglehold. Halak needs to play if he's the intended playoff starter. If a playoff series were starting against LA tomorrow, would Halak be in net? If the answer is yes, then he needs to start Thursday. If the answer is no, then start Allen, but then the plan needs to be starting Allen in the playoffs.
This is pretty much exactly what I think. I wouldn't be overly upset if they decided to play Allen again, but this is a golden opportunity for Halak to show everyone that he deserves to get his starter status back. If he could have a good game against the Kings, I think that would mean a lot for Halak's confidence, and be extremely important for the Blues as a whole.

I just don't see Hitch playing Allen as the starter in the playoffs, regardless of Halak/ Elliott playing poorly. The playoffs is a whole other entity than the regular season, and Allen has all of 3 playoff games of experience as a pro. All with Peoria, all losses. I'm not saying Allen doesn't deserve the start, I just think that it's too important for us to get Halak going again to pass up on this opportunity.

erderuft is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.