HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 9: Trade Deadline Day is coming.

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Pennertration

vCash: 500
Have the Oilers already made their pitch to DeKeyser or is that upcoming? Any word on when he'll make a decision?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

vCash: 50
The one thing I'll say with regards to Myers failing is, I honestly don't think guys with that much talent don't land on their feet somewhere. I just don't buy that you go from a guy who looks as good as he does in his rookie season to looking like Corey Potter in 3 seasons and stay there.

I kinda liken it to Dion Phanuef. The guy looked like **** in the last few seasons in Calgary. Yet he's landed on his feet alright. Same with Jack Johnson.

So trading for him, I don't think worse case scenario is say another Corey Potter.

Oil In My Veins

Some tidbits from LeBrun:

"What up, Mike Smith?

An under-the-radar story in some ways has been the situation of Mike Smith in Phoenix.

The 31-year-old netminder, coming off a sensational year last season, is slated for unrestricted free agency in July. Sources say there have been talks between Smithís camp and Coyotes management but Iíd be pretty surprised if Smith signed until he had a clearer idea of the ownership situation in Phoenix.

Which puts the Coyotes in a bit of a pickle come April if the team continues to fall out of the playoff race. The team has gone winless in six games to fall four points behind the eighth and final playoff spot. If the Coyotes get to April 3 and Smith remains unsigned, what to they do if teams are calling on him? Do they recoup assets or hang in with him, hoping to get him signed before July 5?

Itíll be interesting to monitor. "

And then...

"A pending pursuit of Clarkson

Alexander Seminís signing Monday night further depleted what will be a meager-looking UFA crop come July 5.

But some intriguing names are still left out there, including two of the gameís premier power forwards.

Weíve talked before about Ryane Clowe and how contract talks with the Sharks havenít produced an extension, so heís looking likely to get dealt before April 3 and thus perhaps free-agent bound July 5.

But another name to keep an eye on is that of David Clarkson. A source told ESPN.com Monday night that the Devils and Clarksonís camp have not talked once this season about an extension, which isnít surprising because veteran GM Lou Lamoriello has often shown heís content to wait until after the season to get that going with his UFAs. And Lamoriello told ESPN.com recently teams should know better than to phone about Clarkson because heís not available.

However, if Lamoriello canít get Clarkson re-signed after the season, there might be few more desirable players on the market than Clarkson, a top-six goal scorer with toughness and grit. Can you say Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Minnesota? So many teams are looking for that kind of player. Itís a good year to be David Clarkson."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...uins-next-move

Old
Kepler 186f
Red Shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Sometimes a change in scenery could be a good thing.
Cam Barker.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Oil In My Veins

And just because it's always fun to read stuff like this:

‏@MurphysLaw74
NHL source to me today on Flames asking price for Iginla: "Calgary is going to screw this up for themselves bad if they don't come down."

Old
03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Turrican*

LOL

Stupid Feaster.

Flames War Room =

Old
03-26-2013, 01:03 PM
LaGu

Jokinen.

Energy: no.
Physical: no.
Defensive: bad.
Skill: good.
Offense: declining but still good imo.
Shootouts: ok (although better a couple of years ago).

I don't see what he can add to our left wing.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Jokinen.

Shootouts: ok (although better a couple of years ago)

Sounds like he'd fit right in

Old
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Jokinen.

A better shot at Seth Jones?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
nabob

Quote:
Jokinen.

Might as well just move Hemsky to LW and get the same thing.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
cpsman

Quote:
Jokinen.

He's also 58.2% in the face off circle....

If you look at all players in the NHL who have taken 100 draws or more this season, he ranks 13th.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Lord J T Shark
McDavid Headquarters

For those who forgot--Nash was never going to sign with the oiler because according to the Nash Camp--Oilers acted unprofessional and borderline rude when Nash was heading to Cornell. Oilers did something that pissed him off from little contact they had with him and he made it clear he would not sign with the oilers. Some people suggested the oilers were not happy with him going to Cornell and might have suggested he go to another school with a better hockey system and things went down hill from there

Old
03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Jokinen.

and still, after all this, he would be a massive upgrade over belanger as our 4th line center or smyth as a LW on essentially any line

this speaks more to how pathetically bad belanger and smyth have been though, than showing how great jokinen would be on our team

Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
For those who forgot--Nash was never going to sign with the oiler because according to the Nash Camp--Oilers acted unprofessional and borderline rude when Nash was heading to Cornell. Oilers did something that pissed him off from little contact they had with him and he made it clear he would not sign with the oilers. Some people suggested the oilers were not happy with him going to Cornell and might have suggested he go to another school with a better hockey system and things went down hill from there
are you surprised?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
and still, after all this, he would be a massive upgrade over belanger as our 4th line center or smyth as a LW on essentially any line

this speaks more to how pathetically bad belanger and smyth have been though, than showing how great jokinen would be on our team
hey ill take his 58% faceoffs any day over belanger, given that jussi actually has offensive instincts.

remember this guy was once a 30 goal scorer.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:18 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
He's also 58.2% in the face off circle....

If you look at all players in the NHL who have taken 100 draws or more this season, he ranks 13th.
Thats a lot of draws, is he a LW or C?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
like we can take anything the "camp" of a disgruntled player says too seriously.
but Kevin lowe has a knack for getting his panties in a bunch and I can see him saying or doing something dumb out of spite.

anyway. I'm at the point I actually hope Tambo and Lowe don't make any trades.
I want them both fired and let the new GM make the trades. what has tambo (lowe) done to make us think he/they can be trusted with proper use of the assets the oilers have?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
North

Quote:
Do you have a source for this, because if I recall correctly he told the Oilers that they had too many centres.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
like we can take anything the "camp" of a disgruntled player says too seriously.
but Kevin lowe has a knack for getting his panties in a bunch and I can see him saying or doing something dumb out of spite.

anyway. I'm at the point I actually hope Tambo and Lowe don't make any trades.
I want them both fired and let the new GM make the trades. what has tambo (lowe) done to make us think he/they can be trusted with proper use of the assets the oilers have?
The thing is how many prospects have they had trouble signing? A lot of people got the sense that he just wasn't interested in signing with the Oilers.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post

Not sure about that but it's possible. I don't want a $3M left winger as our 4th line C though. Maybe if he'd be 100% on the dot...

edit: Although your main point is valid. It is a testament over how bad things are when we are seriously considering a move like this...

Old
03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
LaGu

Quote:
hey ill take his 58% faceoffs any day over belanger, given that jussi actually has offensive instincts.

What he has in offense he lacks in defense. Adding the fact that he's a non factor in terms of energy and/or physicality I would still say that this would be a bad move.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
To add to this:

The reason, as I remember at the time, why the Oilers didn't like Riley's choice of college was that it seemed like Nash was more interested in picking a college where he could play with his brother than a college that would be best for his hockey career...and considering that Nash's major at Cornell was Agricultural Engineering? Well, that's not exactly a career choice you need to go to Cornell University for.

And considering he spent 3 years there essentially running in place hockey-wise, and has needed over 2 1/2 seasons in the AHL to make himself even marginally useful at the NHL level, IMO the Oilers were right to believe that his choice of college didn't do his hockey career any favours.

That being said, good on Nash for pulling his pro career up from the dirt. Many others in a similar situation fail to do so. But, I'm not going to blame the Oilers for moving on and cashing him in for a pick that turned into a good dman prospect in Marincin.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Why is that a bad thing? We could use an upgrade on Belanger.
I think it's bad because they'll just assume Lander is the answer and then next year when he struggles they'll be wondering why their center position is even weaker then it was in the past.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
knockoutpanda
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Do you have a source for this, because if I recall correctly he told the Oilers that they had too many centres.
Yeah he was traded at the very last chance to trade him. If it was about his school and the Oilers making him angry he probably would have been traded sooner.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
And just because it's always fun to read stuff like this:

‏@MurphysLaw74
NHL source to me today on Flames asking price for Iginla: "Calgary is going to screw this up for themselves bad if they don't come down."
I saw that and laughed. With Clowe also being available they could find themselves pushing teams to him.

Quote:

Pretty much, I didn't realize he was a center.
Quote:
Jokinen.

He was Carolina's 3rd leading forward in PK time, so he can't be that bad.

Closed Thread