HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brooks Laich vs. Mike Ribeiro

Old
03-26-2013, 12:31 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Brooks Laich vs. Mike Ribeiro

Would it be fair to say that the Washington Capitals can only afford one of these players?

Would Washington be better served trading Laich for assets and re-sign Mike Ribeiro?

OR

Would trading Ribeiro right now and retain Laich be better for the organization?

I ask because I wonder if Ribiero will really be available at the deadline. He seems like such a wonderful fit for the Capitals. Wouldn't they be able to at least get some decent assets out of Laich?

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Extra Texture
A new career

I doubt they are going to get much in return for Laich with his contract. I think he is worth more to the Caps than he is to another franchise.

And given the week the Caps had, I dont think its likely they move Ribiero either. They're back in the hunt and shipping him out would send a negative message when it seems like another few wins could put them firmly in the playoff race. Is any return going to be enough to potentially give that up?

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:42 PM
SDBondra

Nah I think they can afford both. The only players due a raise next year are Alzner and Neuvirth. Poti's salary will drop off and Marcus Johansson hasn't been consistent enough to get a major salary increase. If the Caps can keep Ribeiro at around the same cap hit they'll be fine.

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
txpd

the caps can afford both players. they are in pretty good shape salary cap wise. i think the contract that ribeiro is going to want is going to be the issue. the lenth and the nmc more than the salary.

btw....laich's value is often lost on the average fan. he plays all three forward positions at pretty much the same level of quality. thats rare. he is as good on an offensive line as on a checking line. he is first pp and first pk unit. there are a handful of players that are that versitile. in a salary cap league a player that can be effectively plaged in for so many roles is very valuable.

facts are that he is a top 4 defenseman on many teams. the caps have used him in that role when when injuries were deep and he has been strong. if he is scoring 15 goals or more he is worth every penny of his contract.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
I doubt they are going to get much in return for Laich with his contract. I think he is worth more to the Caps than he is to another franchise.

And given the week the Caps had, I dont think its likely they move Ribiero either. They're back in the hunt and shipping him out would send a negative message when it seems like another few wins could put them firmly in the playoff race. Is any return going to be enough to potentially give that up?
The Caps would get a ton in return for Laich. Stop fooling yourself.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
Nah I think they can afford both. The only players due a raise next year are Alzner and Neuvirth. Poti's salary will drop off and Marcus Johansson hasn't been consistent enough to get a major salary increase. If the Caps can keep Ribeiro at around the same cap hit they'll be fine.
Yes but Ribs is wanting retirement contract. 5 or 6 years.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
SherVaughn30

They will keep both, so end of story and close the thread.

SherVaughn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

They must trade Ribeiro. He's about to decline. Sell high for once.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote