HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Jussi Jokinen (CAR)

Old
03-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks82 View Post
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sharp miss 4 weeks or so with a broken bone in his hand or forearm last season? I seem to remember it happening right after he scored. He took a slash to the glove. I just can't remember what team we were playing.

Could be a reason why he's had trouble putting the puck in the net.
You could be right. It may still be nagging him. Or was it Kane's wrist?

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:54 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks82 View Post
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sharp miss 4 weeks or so with a broken bone in his hand or forearm last season? I seem to remember it happening right after he scored. He took a slash to the glove. I just can't remember what team we were playing.

Could be a reason why he's had trouble putting the puck in the net.
No, I don't think he missed that much time and looking at his game log, it didn't seem to effect his goal-scoring too much for the rest of that season.

He had chances he shanked and his some posts. I think his wrist/forearm are fine.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Sharp-Jokinen-Hossa

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:13 PM
KanetoToews2883

This thread is also about David Bolland more than it's about Jussi Jokinen.

Bolland isn't the 2C we wanted... it turns out we need someone who can compliment Kane and Sharp... unfortunately, no one just simply acquires a 2C.. cause everyone thinks their 2C is a 1C....

KanetoToews2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Exactly my sentiment. Does anyone around who wants Bolland gone have a thoughtful, intelligent argument against this? I would love to hear it.
Sure. Although the guy HTB was responding to doesn't want Bolland gone. Neither do I. We just want him off the second line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
He's facing the toughest competition on the other team and is allowing Kane to score at the highest rate in his career. Everyone keeps talking about Kane scoring in spite of Bolland, yet, in 4 years playing with Toews, never has Kane scored at a higher rate. Kane didn't suddenly become more talented, perhaps more committed, but if Kane was having an "average" Kane year, no one would be talking about him being a more "committed" player, that kind of stuff comes with the increased scoring.
Correlation is not causation. Kane has taken the step this year that he appeared to be ready to take last season prior to the unfortunate wrist injury. Kane's offensive ability has always been there, but there's been an extra bit of potential he had yet to harness. I don't think putting Bolland - a guy who simply hasn't had much finish this season - on his line suddenly let him harness that potential. His points would almost certainly be higher playing with a better offensive player, like Toews. But that's obvious, isn't it? In the end, Bolland has hurt Kane's offensive output because he doesn't do much of anything well on offense - at least, not this season. I loved how Bolland managed to produced despite being stuffed on a line with a pretty ineffective Bickell and an offensively anemic Frolik last year. He put in good effort and got some results. This year, he still has the same talent (you don't just lose that), but he's floating around and simply not really trying on the offensive end. He's playing lazy, and that line would almost definitely be better with someone else in the middle.

Quote:
At the end of the day, I'm not saying Bolland is the perfect 2nd line centre. But when your team's on top of the NHL standings, Kane's scoring regardless and all 4 lines, when healthy, looked good-very good-outstanding, it's hard to complain about Bolland's scoring, or lackthereof.

Bolland's proven time and again how valuable he is to this team. I get people expected him to score more, but really.. if you really, really think about it, who cares? The team is winning. Kane is scoring. I'm not seeing the big issue. If Chicago's biggest hole is the lack of scoring from Bolland, than this team should have no problem winning the Cup.
Eh, the team has gone into a bit of a rough patch since the end of the awesome streak, but you can't argue with the overall record. Still, the lack of a true #2C is probably the most glaring problem on the roster. Just because the overall record is good doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.
You reference Bolland is valuable to the team. I agree. And he's most valuable when he's playing a role that he is suited for.
That role is centering the third line with two solid defensive players on his wing, going out against the opponent's best in a shutdown role every night.

He's not a scoring line center, and that has become very obvious this season. He's not incredibly talented, although he does have his fair share. In the end he hasn't looked good at all in the middle on the second line this year and the Hawks would be better off finding a different player for that line.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Sevanston

Jokinen clears waivers. Cue the sound and the fury.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Hawkaholic

Jokinen clears waivers

-beat to it.

I'm happy we didn't claim him.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:09 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Weird to say the least. Maybe he came down with some disease or something and it is being kept within the NHL circles. Or maybe this is so he can be bought out to go to Europe for some personal reason of his.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:11 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Yeah the disease of being terrible at hockey

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:14 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Yeah the disease of being terrible at hockey
He's not though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt for a decent return in the coming days, however, with Carolina eating a little salary.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
He's not though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt for a decent return in the coming days, however, with Carolina eating a little salary.
@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Spoke with one GM this morning who likes Jokinen and would have taken him if he was a pending UFA. Next year's $3 M on his deal scared teams

If Carolina wasn't willing to eat any of his salary before, I don't see why they would now. In fact, now that it's proven no one wants him, they'd probably need to eat even more of his salary than was originally offered because everyone knows there's no market for him at the current price.

But once he does become a UFA, I'd bet he'll get another contract.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Hawkaholic

He's still an NHL'er...just not a $3mil one.

..and he definitely won't be traded for anything of real value.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:05 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Jokinen doesn't get luxury of playing with Sharp/Kane

Pretty sure he wouldn't fail as bad as Bolland has as #2 C

Pick up Jokinen and waive/trade Bolland at this point

I will take the guy who tries (Jokinen) every night with inferior talent then Dave Bolland who is MIA in effort most nights
Every team needs a whipping boy.

Before seeing his career stats I would've said yes (30 games, holy ****balls) but now, no, thank you.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Not all that surprising that he didn't get claimed. The cap is dropping next year and Jokinen's production doesn't justify his cap hit. I would have no problem with the Hawks making a move for Jussi (as a winger at least. He is god awful at center) if they could send Monty back the other way in the deal. But picking him up without moving some salary out the door puts the Hawks in a real bind next year and Jussi just isn't good enough to be worth that.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:53 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I'd do Jokinen for Olesz.

Otherwise we don't need that cap hit

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
Every team needs a whipping boy.
God knows the Chicago Blackhawks had plenty last year.

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I'd do Jokinen for Olesz.

Otherwise we don't need that cap hit
What about Jokinen for Montador? Seems like it could be a solid trade for both teams. Carolina needs (or needed) defensive depth, and Montador's making slightly less against the cap, while Chicago would bolster their LW depth and would have a potential depth replacement for Bickell/Stalberg next year if one (or both) walk.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

not even in a trade... thanks we did not get him

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Fortyfives

Quote:
What about Jokinen for Montador? Seems like it could be a solid trade for both teams. Carolina needs (or needed) defensive depth, and Montador's making slightly less against the cap, while Chicago would bolster their LW depth and would have a potential depth replacement for Bickell/Stalberg next year if one (or both) walk.
That is an interesting trade idea!

Fortyfives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
And hope he gets good enough again to trade him in the offseason? I don't know, I would rather have Bicks or Berg than Jokinen, so what happens if JJ continues to suck and you can't trade him? Guess you could buy him out like we would Monty.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
And hope he gets good enough again to trade him in the offseason? I don't know, I would rather have Bicks or Berg than Jokinen, so what happens if JJ continues to suck and you can't trade him? Guess you could buy him out like we would Monty.
No, hope he's good enough that you keep him over a Bickell or Stalberg next year as depth (Bickell and Stalberg could command 3M+), while dumping Montador who, unfortunatley, doesn't fit into the team's plans next year.

If Jokinen sucks, you could buy him out or you could hold onto him and and see if there are any takers in the off-season looking for secondary scoring.

Not saying it's perfect, but thought it was a potentially useful deal for both teams. Two guys, overpaid for what they've brought this season (Monty's obviously been out) and both cleared waivers and are in the minors.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
coldsteelonice84

I'm fine with that swap, needs something else of good value going to Carolina though, we **** them as it is.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:06 AM
giza

Jokinen

If it was earlier in the year, I would be all over this guy. He basically can win you a point in every shootout. But since the season is coming to an end in 15 games, he doesn't do as much since there is no shoot out in the playoffs. Pass.

giza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:22 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
God knows the Chicago Blackhawks had plenty last year.
There was even a topic about it.

I say if he takes $1.1M or lower in 2014-15, then go for it then, but not now. Olesz for Jokinen maybe, but only because of the cap hit.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:52 AM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post
He basically can win you a point in every shootout.
I have seen people say this in damn near every thread about Jussi and it just isn't true. He had a ridiculously good year right after the shootout was put in place, but hasn't been very good at all since. I think people just remember that first year and assume he has kept it up when he hasn't at all. Minus that first year his career average is probably in the low 40's if not lower.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote