HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators making strong push for NCAA FA d-man Danny DeKeyser

Old
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
A lot of you are also forgetting if we land him... We get a young good defenseman who can fill one of our needs with out giving anything up in a trade. Then that gives us more pieces to trade for a forward.
This is the key thing most are missing; you could potentially get a #3 or #4 defenseman depending on your current corps for absolutely nothing. He also comes in on an ELC contract, so there is no price driving or anything like that going on; he just wants to play wherever he goes. I can't fault him for that at all; wanting to see the ice is a more noble aspiration than most player contract negotiations by a mile.

The more I read about him, the more amped I get; of course that's how the hype machine works, but for no risk? Trotz and Poile are going all-in, good for them.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
This is the key thing most are missing; you could potentially get a #3 or #4 defenseman depending on your current corps for absolutely nothing. He also comes in on an ELC contract, so there is no price driving or anything like that going on; he just wants to play wherever he goes. I can't fault him for that at all; wanting to see the ice is a more noble aspiration than most player contract negotiations by a mile.

The more I read about him, the more amped I get; of course that's how the hype machine works, but for no risk? Trotz and Poile are going all-in, good for them.
That's the key takeaway. I criticize Poile for being too passive in his pursuits. This is an uncharacteristically brazen pitch.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Schultz WAS drafted, by Anaheim, but pulled a lindros. Spoiled brat, wht's the purpose of the draft if you can just decide to go somewhere else.
yea the embarrassing thing is that I realized/saw that about an hour after I posted that. That's my bad.

I still like that we are going after DD.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Matt Gilroy v2?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

This has Poile written all over it. Let's see what the guy decides. I'm not really sold on blum or Ellis so I'm fine with this.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
hockey diva

Why would he sign here? He's a Michigan kid, grew up a Wings fan etc. Has a chance to play for an excellent and historic franchise in Detroit. Wishful thinking is all this is.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Why would he sign here? He's a Michigan kid, grew up a Wings fan etc. Has a chance to play for an excellent and historic franchise in Detroit. Wishful thinking is all this is.
While that's true, he's also clearly not a gifted kid - he's a worker that's still (hopefully) developing. Sure, they have good coaching in Det, but...... safe to say they've not drafted and DEVELOPED the kids like we have. Intangible - we got Shea Webber - if you're a Dman, seems like playing with and learning from him would be pretty great.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:00 PM
adsfan

It would be nice if the Preds signed him. It would be nicer if they found a forward who could score 20 or 30 goals a year in the NHL!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
It would be nice if the Preds signed him. It would be nicer if they found a forward who could score 20 or 30 goals a year in the NHL!
You mean like Hartnell (20+ as a Pred), Radulov, Legwand, Erat ... Bourque is on pace for what would be over 20 in a full season (might reach it this short season) ... Wilson was on pace for near 20 .... or we could talk the free agents he brought in .... Smith shows flashes of the ability to score 20-30, then his inconsistency bites him in the backend.

Ooops ... forgot Hornqvist.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 03-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Matt Gilroy v2?
No, Gilroy could score goals in college.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I don't believe this kid would make much of a difference anyways this year so I won't too excited either way.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Well explain how he has been ubdrafted for a couple drafts. Also point out what college players have made a big splask in the NHL. And consider Wilson, Geffrion, Smith, and Watson. All high caliber college players None of which has had huge impact on this team. Wilson might someday but hes not there. Smith has been well... Smith at this point he can't knock Muller or Beck back to the AHL.

Picking up another project is senseless.
Watson has never played college hockey, but hey you seem to know what you're talking about.

What college players have made a big "splask" in the NHL? Seriously?

Toews? Parise? Suter? Kariya? Quick? Vanek? Heatley? St. Louis?van Riemsdyk? Kunitz? Boyle? Kesler? Ryan Miller? Backes? Stastny? Rafalski? Pavelski?

Just a few off the top of my head.

Last edited by PredaDORES: 03-27-2013 at 07:36 AM.
PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Jubal

I honestly would not be at all surprised if he picks Detroit. It makes the most sense given his background. But I'd love it if he played for Nashville. Hopefully our defensive reputation will be a factor.

Hell, I'm just flattered we're one of his major choices.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:47 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I just find it hard to believe that a guy with zero NHL or even AHL experience(not even a training camp) can step right into an NHL lineup and be effective

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:59 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I just find it hard to believe that a guy with zero NHL or even AHL experience(not even a training camp) can step right into an NHL lineup and be effective
Kreider did it.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Depends on the role and support they are receiving. Have to remember this is an NCAA free agent and not someone coming straight out of juniors. DeKeyser is 23 and has been playing against men ages 18-25 (mainly 20-23) his entire NCAA career. NCAA route gives players fewer games than major junior hockey, but allows them a greater practice to game ratio to develop their skills.

There are people that slip through the cracks all over the place. Many are late bloomers that for whatever reason seem to suddenly put together all their talents over time and become a top player.

I haven't seen DeKeyser play since last season, but believe that he has the intangibles from all reports to step in and compete if given the right role. Playing 25+ minutes a night alongside Weber probably isn't the best fit for him right now, but playing ~18 minutes a night alongside Klein likely would allow him enough mentoring to fit in and be productive if he keeps his game simple.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I trust this staff implicitly with defensemen. If they want a guy this bad, I will be disappointed if he slips through the cracks.

03-27-2013, 09:31 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Depends on the role and support they are receiving. Have to remember this is an NCAA free agent and not someone coming straight out of juniors. DeKeyser is 23 and has been playing against men ages 18-25 (mainly 20-23) his entire NCAA career. NCAA route gives players fewer games than major junior hockey, but allows them a greater practice to game ratio to develop their skills.

There are people that slip through the cracks all over the place. Many are late bloomers that for whatever reason seem to suddenly put together all their talents over time and become a top player.

I haven't seen DeKeyser play since last season, but believe that he has the intangibles from all reports to step in and compete if given the right role. Playing 25+ minutes a night alongside Weber probably isn't the best fit for him right now, but playing ~18 minutes a night alongside Klein likely would allow him enough mentoring to fit in and be productive if he keeps his game simple.

I'll certainly defer to your knowledge on this but I just find it hard to wrap my head around it when top prospects like Blum and Ellis have struggled to integrate despite extensive time in Milwaukee. If nothing else the preds are one of the best organizations in all of hockey at developing defensemen, and for someone to be able to jump line from the NCAA all the way to the second pair in OUR organization just boggles my mind

Old
03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I trust this staff implicitly with defensemen. If they want a guy this bad, I will be disappointed if he slips through the cracks.
and of course this is the counterpoint to my concerns... if OUR organization wants him this badly, he must be the real deal...

Old
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
and of course this is the counterpoint to my concerns... if OUR organization wants him this badly, he must be the real deal...
or that we're sorely lacking in the 2nd pairing ... due to the graduation of Josi to the 1st pairing on our defense and the fact we didn't replace it at all

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

For debate purpose a few players that I remember the Predators specifically trying to trade up for or acquire:

Phil Kessel
Sean Couturier
Anze Kopitar
Colin Wilson

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:55 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Trotz was very hopeful on the radio this morning regarding this kid. Sounds like he wants him BAD.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:06 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Kreider did it.
But where is Kreider now?

He's not in the NHL...

Would be nice to get this kid, but Im not getting my hopes up.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:12 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
But where is Kreider now?

He's not in the NHL...

Would be nice to get this kid, but Im not getting my hopes up.
Playing for the Rangers. He was called up from the AHL and scored a goal against Philly last night.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:12 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
or that we're sorely lacking in the 2nd pairing ... due to the graduation of Josi to the 1st pairing on our defense and the fact we didn't replace it at all
This.