HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators making strong push for NCAA FA d-man Danny DeKeyser

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 AM
  #51
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I'll certainly defer to your knowledge on this but I just find it hard to wrap my head around it when top prospects like Blum and Ellis have struggled to integrate despite extensive time in Milwaukee. If nothing else the preds are one of the best organizations in all of hockey at developing defensemen, and for someone to be able to jump line from the NCAA all the way to the second pair in OUR organization just boggles my mind
Look at Victor Bartley though. He was a career Euro\AHL defenseman that's done okay. DeKeyser's raw tools are further along than VBs.

Also note that DD is only a year younger than Blum is NOW, and 2 years older than Ellis.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:37 AM
  #52
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
But where is Kreider now?

He's not in the NHL...

Would be nice to get this kid, but Im not getting my hopes up.
Playing on the Rangers second line...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:39 AM
  #53
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,526
vCash: 500
This kid sounds like Ryan Parent sans significant back injuries. Intangibles. Positioning. Hockey smarts.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:53 AM
  #54
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Playing on the Rangers second line...
Ahh I see he got called up a few days ago. He has been in the A this entire year until then. Considering how bad the Rangers have been, Im surprised they kept him down as long as they did.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:59 AM
  #55
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This kid sounds like Ryan Parent sans significant back injuries. Intangibles. Positioning. Hockey smarts.
Yeah, Parent as he was drafted is a good comparison, but Brad Stuart is probably the best I've seen.

Essentially a bigger version of Dan Hamhuis.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
  #56
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Yeah, Parent as he was drafted is a good comparison, but Brad Stuart is probably the best I've seen.

Essentially a bigger version of Dan Hamhuis.
I need to see this kid play; that's a fairly high bar to set.

Cashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
  #57
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
For debate purpose a few players that I remember the Predators specifically trying to trade up for or acquire:

Phil Kessel
Sean Couturier
Anze Kopitar
Colin Wilson
That's....a damn good track record.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:55 PM
  #58
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Wayne Gretzky was never drafted.
Yes he was ..by the WHA Indianapolis Racers

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:14 PM
  #59
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
I'm going to judge either way about trying to sign this guy, along with his potential. What strikes me is that while quite a few teams are going to be active in the upcoming trade deadline for a playoff run, here we sit hoping we win out on a battle to draft an unproven college player. This kinda makes me sad.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
  #60
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I'll certainly defer to your knowledge on this but I just find it hard to wrap my head around it when top prospects like Blum and Ellis have struggled to integrate despite extensive time in Milwaukee. If nothing else the preds are one of the best organizations in all of hockey at developing defensemen, and for someone to be able to jump line from the NCAA all the way to the second pair in OUR organization just boggles my mind
Blum and Ellis were drafted with high expectations as 18 year olds. As a parent yourself, I'd trust that you realize a lot can change during the course of their development from 18-24. Ellis is still very young and not all that raw. He's working his way up and really shouldn't have been seen as anything more than a No. 6 PP specialist this season. Blum on the other hand has stalled in his development and needs to really show something right now with the Predators or will likely be packaged for a new piece at the deadline.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:00 PM
  #61
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
You mean like Hartnell (20+ as a Pred), Radulov, Legwand, Erat ... Bourque is on pace for what would be over 20 in a full season (might reach it this short season) ... Wilson was on pace for near 20 .... or we could talk the free agents he brought in .... Smith shows flashes of the ability to score 20-30, then his inconsistency bites him in the backend.


Ooops ... forgot Hornqvist.
I like Bourque. Last time I checked, he has 17 NHL goals in 74 games. Ten in 31 games this season. Rads has 47 goals in 154 games. I wish he hadn't bailed for 3 years. He did score 26 goals, but that was five seasons ago. Horny hit 30 in 2009-10 and 27 last season. Leggy has hit 20 goals twice in 11 full seasons. Fisher had 24 last season in 72 games. I would rate Hornqvist as the best of the lot, although Jason Arnott had 33 goals in 65 games in 2008-09.

The Preds have always needed more offense. Somehow, it eludes them. You are correct in fact, but so am I.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:01 PM
  #62
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I'm going to judge either way about trying to sign this guy, along with his potential. What strikes me is that while quite a few teams are going to be active in the upcoming trade deadline for a playoff run, here we sit hoping we win out on a battle to draft an unproven college player. This kinda makes me sad.
It's a throwaway year. This is exactly the sort of move we should be making. There is no "loading up" to try to make the playoffs.. Sure, you can trade a top ten pick for a couple of weeks of Mike Ribiero, then he leaves this summer, we still miss the playoffs, and we come out of the deal with nothing.

Or...we sign a guy that can realistically play a regular shift immediately, and likely anchors our second pair for years to come...then add a quality forward at the draft with a reasonably high pick.

But you're gloomy because we're missing on e excitement of deadline day for a year?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
  #63
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Gloomy because the Preds aren't in the thick of making a serious playoff run, where bringing in a player could possibly spell going even further than where we would enter said playoffs. But since it's just a "throwaway year", I guess it's o.k. not to be real contenders.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:18 AM
  #64
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Gloomy because the Preds aren't in the thick of making a serious playoff run, where bringing in a player could possibly spell going even further than where we would enter said playoffs. But since it's just a "throwaway year", I guess it's o.k. not to be real contenders.
I agree with the other guy. This is a throwaway year, has been since game 1. I would be pissed to trade a bunch for a whopping 3-4 weeks of service from someone. Playoffs are anything but a lock with the points race so we should just let the kids play, get experience, and if we make the postseason so be it. If not, no biggie. This is definitely not a "go for it" year like last year was.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:13 AM
  #65
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Blum and Ellis were drafted with high expectations as 18 year olds. As a parent yourself, I'd trust that you realize a lot can change during the course of their development from 18-24. Ellis is still very young and not all that raw. He's working his way up and really shouldn't have been seen as anything more than a No. 6 PP specialist this season. Blum on the other hand has stalled in his development and needs to really show something right now with the Predators or will likely be packaged for a new piece at the deadline.
I've said this a couple times lately but Blum's development reminds me of Klein's path.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:00 AM
  #66
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I've said this a couple times lately but Blum's development reminds me of Klein's path.
He's going about it a little bit slower though. By next season, he'll be 25, and is still going through the same things he's gone through since being drafted.

I'm not actively rooting against him, but I think he's been jumped by Bartley, and is only in NSH over Ellis because he'd have to clear waivers. If the Predators sign DD, I can't see a scenario where they have room for Blum, too

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
  #67
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He's going about it a little bit slower though. By next season, he'll be 25, and is still going through the same things he's gone through since being drafted.

I'm not actively rooting against him, but I think he's been jumped by Bartley, and is only in NSH over Ellis because he'd have to clear waivers. If the Predators sign DD, I can't see a scenario where they have room for Blum, too
I don't know about that, Klein is 28, 4 years ago he was battling for a NHL roster spot with Sulzer and averaging about 12 minutes a night. He played 63 games in the NHL that season.

Heck, last year many on this board wanted him traded or scratched.

The biggest difference between the two; Blum came in as a 21 year old and looked all world. When Klein was 21, he was one season removed from being demoted to the UHL.

Blum has the skill, it's the mental side effecting his game, well that and the size issue.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
  #68
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He's going about it a little bit slower though. By next season, he'll be 25, and is still going through the same things he's gone through since being drafted.

I'm not actively rooting against him, but I think he's been jumped by Bartley, and is only in NSH over Ellis because he'd have to clear waivers. If the Predators sign DD, I can't see a scenario where they have room for Blum, too
Don't forget that when Blum first came up he was pretty good and everyone thought he was ready, then he dropped off... then Ellis came up and played well and everyone thought he was ready, then he dropped off... Same with Craig Smith if we get outside of defense. Bartley will probably do the same thing.

The kids come in and do what they know how to do, so they look good because they're comfortable with it. Then the NHL coaches start to pick apart their game and give them other things to work on, suddenly they don't look as good while they're trying to figure out the things required to sustain a career in the NHL. It takes a season or two before things will start to click and they really establish themselves. Happens with all of them, Suter, Klein, Wilson... Sometimes it's more noticeable than others, but it's pretty much the same story with all of the kids.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  #69
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
The more I think about it, the less chance I think he's going to sign here. Basically every team in the league has been up to Toronto to meet with him, and they're all saying, "it went very well, we're definitely in the mix.' Just like us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
  #70
Jubal
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
I'm 90% sure he won't sign here, but Shea Weber and our defensive reputation are the only things that keep me thinking we have a chance. Eh, maybe it's still a pipedream. Who knows?

Isn't he supposed to make a decision today or tomorrow?

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
  #71
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I'm 90% sure he won't sign here, but Shea Weber and our defensive reputation are the only things that keep me thinking we have a chance. Eh, maybe it's still a pipedream. Who knows?

Isn't he supposed to make a decision today or tomorrow?
That's the rumor anyways.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
  #72
dubgeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I'm 90% sure he won't sign here, but Shea Weber and our defensive reputation are the only things that keep me thinking we have a chance. Eh, maybe it's still a pipedream. Who knows?

Isn't he supposed to make a decision today or tomorrow?

I think most in the NHL would consider it a coup if he does sign here, but I think it would be a shrewd decision on his part for the reason bolded. How many other teams have developed two $7+ million/year defensemen in the last few years?

dubgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
  #73
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubgeek View Post
I think most in the NHL would consider it a coup if he does sign here, but I think it would be a shrewd decision on his part for the reason bolded. How many other teams have developed two $7+ million/year defensemen in the last few years?
and it looks like Josi could be the 3rd

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
  #74
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,303
vCash: 500
There is no reason for him not to sign in Detroit. Hope we get him though.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
  #75
preds1
Registered User
 
preds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
There is no reason for him not to sign in Detroit. Hope we get him though.
That's my opinion as well.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.