HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Take off your bags for a moment, Oilers win 3-0

Old
03-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Expatriate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
At the pro level I am sure they don't comment much on that stuff because they know the NHL statisticians are going over every goal (in the intermission and/or after the game) to properly assess goals and assists.

Now for a bit of a related story... Not that I played anywhere near the NHL, but the situation you describe happened to me in the biggest game of my life (my final year of hockey, Zone Championships). In OT of the final game our captain won the game on a shot from the point that hit the top corner. A massive celebration ensued and he was our town's local hero for weeks after that (small town Alberta). Only known to me and a few others, is that I tipped the puck while battling for position against the defenseman in front of the net. I saw the puck coming to my and the goalies right and tipped it slightly with the end of my stick when the puck was about 4 feet in the air and heading slight wide of the net. Because of the scrum and only the slight change in trajectory almost no one noticed the tip besides me, the ref (maybe), a line mate, and my coach. I remember the ref immediately asked me if I tipped it and I told him no because I was worried he would waive it off as a high-stick goal (it was clean, IMO, but close so why risk it?).

In the end, the team won so I didn't care for the glory of being the guy that won the big game. After the game, however, the coach mentioned that he saw me deflect the puck and asked me why I didn't tell the ref I got my stick on it and claim credit. I told him why and he just gave me the biggest smile, patted me on the back, and rejoined the celebration. Funny enough, that was all the credit I craved.

/sappy story that no one cares about except me

On topic... Kruger sucks
Great story

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Gord
Batfink!

vCash: 50
Quote:
At the pro level I am sure they don't comment much on that stuff because they know the NHL statisticians are going over every goal (in the intermission and/or after the game) to properly assess goals and assists.

Now for a bit of a related story... Not that I played anywhere near the NHL, but the situation you describe happened to me in the biggest game of my life (my final year of hockey, Zone Championships). In OT of the final game our captain won the game on a shot from the point that hit the top corner. A massive celebration ensued and he was our town's local hero for weeks after that (small town Alberta). Only known to me and a few others, is that I tipped the puck while battling for position against the defenseman in front of the net. I saw the puck coming to my and the goalies right and tipped it slightly with the end of my stick when the puck was about 4 feet in the air and heading slight wide of the net. Because of the scrum and only the slight change in trajectory almost no one noticed the tip besides me, the ref (maybe), a line mate, and my coach. I remember the ref immediately asked me if I tipped it and I told him no because I was worried he would waive it off as a high-stick goal (it was clean, IMO, but close so why risk it?).

In the end, the team won so I didn't care for the glory of being the guy that won the big game. After the game, however, the coach mentioned that he saw me deflect the puck and asked me why I didn't tell the ref I got my stick on it and claim credit. I told him why and he just gave me the biggest smile, patted me on the back, and rejoined the celebration. Funny enough, that was all the credit I craved.

On topic... Kruger sucks
it's sports. Are you sure he didn't pat you on the butt? you sporty guys do a lot of butt patting.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:

On topic... Kruger sucks
Actually, that's a fairly awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
Does anyone view this as a game where the team actually grew up a bit together? I thought they handled the fact the Refs seemed to be oblivious to what was going on, and the fact they were having liberties taken against them very well. Thought a lot of guys stepped up for the teammates, not in the dropping gloves sense. But in a way to give some sort of hope, that maybe this team could learn to play for each other.
not really. the oilers have had several games where it looked like they took a step up or grew up. turned out to be a false positive.
so don't get your hopes up too much for this past game, too. lol

Old
03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the 3-17 is true but the team that was in front of him was pretty bad. khabi can get shelled but he doesnt consistently let in bad goals.
He let in 2 stinkers the last time we played the Blues.

Made up for it last night though.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He let in 2 stinkers the last time we played the Blues.

Made up for it last night though.
Yeah. Probably because he needs to play more regularly. He looked rusty the first St. Louis game, but he's obviously a pro and rebounded appropriately this time. If we can see more of this solid play from him, I say we ride him.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:14 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Yeah. Probably because he needs to play more regularly. He looked rusty the first St. Louis game, but he's obviously a pro and rebounded appropriately this time. If we can see more of this solid play from him, I say we ride him.
He can't play more regularly. Whenever we try to play him more regularly, he gets injured.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:25 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Sorry, I gotta ask. Is this a joke? Kinda like referring to the internet as 'teh internetz'? Just a ridiculous misspelling for the sake of mocking those who genuinely don't know how to spell the word?
This is another one of the running jokes here on HF Oilers, like the Montoya/Rangers and TOPPEP (not referring to TOPPEP as a joke, this is the real deal) stuff. One poster (not saying who it was JTS) referred to his avatar as an aviator while making an avatar bet and it just grew from there.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Ah forgot my one comment. Guys crowding in on Bulin yesterday. Smyth should've ran him once to stop that. Take the 2 minutes and be done with.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Crude View Post
3-0 wow lost all my vcash, ok with it : )
I won me some vcash!

Double win last night for me.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
This is another one of the running jokes here on HF Oilers, like the Montoya/Rangers and TOPPEP (not referring to TOPPEP as a joke, this is the real deal) stuff. One poster (not saying who it was JTS) referred to his avatar as an aviator while making an avatar bet and it just grew from there.
Ah, thanks! Yeah, the aviator guy. I remember him now. I think I posted a link to a poster for the most successful movie of all time in that thread.

Edit: aha! Found it! Was this the start of it, or was it something else?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1025329

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
s7ark
Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Ah forgot my one comment. Guys crowding in on Bulin yesterday. Smyth should've ran him once to stop that. Take the 2 minutes and be done with.
I don't normally advocate running goalie, but as retribution, I tend to agree. The only way to stop a team that's bumping your goalie is to bump theirs right back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Ah, thanks! Yeah, the aviator guy. I remember him now. I think I posted a link to a poster for the most successful movie of all time in that thread.

Edit: aha! Found it! Was this the start of it, or was it something else?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1025329
No it came from earlier. I don't remember the exact thread, but I believe someone wanted to make an avatar bet with BBO and started a thread where they misspelled aviator instead.

Ahh found it, thx Google. It was JTS in a Brule vs Schremp bet thread

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-533356.html

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:05 PM
IV XIV XCI

KhappyBoozin'!

Nice job old man.

Are you feeling good enough to carry this team for a while? The giraffe's neck is sore.
Dubnyk would have let in 2 bad third period goals yesterday and the Blues would have tied it. That makes me sad.

I think 3-4 fluke wins in a row will finally give this team the mojo to actually "win" games by "beating" their opponents. I think it's possible but only if this fragile bunch of guys figures out how to win before the end of April

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
KhappyBoozin'!

Nice job old man.

Are you feeling good enough to carry this team for a while? The giraffe's neck is sore.
Dubnyk would have let in 2 bad third period goals yesterday and the Blues would have tied it. That makes me sad.

I think 3-4 fluke wins in a row will finally give this team the mojo to actually "win" games by "beating" their opponents. I think it's possible but only if this fragile bunch of guys figures out how to win before the end of April
that's one reason why it's hard to enjoy an oiler game this year. Even when they do get a 2 goal and/or a third period lead, you expect them to lose the game. (and they usually do lose them)

Old
03-27-2013, 04:37 PM
phamJET

had nik khabibulin been healthy all year, I think the oilers would be in a playoff spot. the oilers are only 3 points out of 8th in the west.

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
had nik khabibulin been healthy all year, I think the oilers would be in a playoff spot. the oilers are only 3 points out of 8th in the west.
I doubt it. He's an elite backup at this point, but that's it

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:05 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't normally advocate running goalie, but as retribution, I tend to agree. The only way to stop a team that's bumping your goalie is to bump theirs right back.

No it came from earlier. I don't remember the exact thread, but I believe someone wanted to make an avatar bet with BBO and started a thread where they misspelled aviator instead.

Ahh found it, thx Google. It was JTS in a Brule vs Schremp bet thread

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar.../t-533356.html
Ha! Thanks! Fun read.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Off Topic: Is this seriously hanging up there?

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

If it is, it's not hanging up with the Cup/Conference winners

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If it is, it's not hanging up with the Cup/Conference winners
Best avatar on these boards.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:48 PM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Off Topic: Is this seriously hanging up there?

No, it's not. Thankfully there has been something else to commemorate in the last 20 years. Even if it was only one magical playoff run.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:35 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
wrong thread

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote