Notices

Non-Minnesota NHL News X

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

vCash: 500
So the NHL partnered with you can play? Very cool.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
So the NHL partnered with you can play? Very cool.
That's awesome. Hope it won't take too long to have the first openly gay player in the league. With 600 players there has to be a bunch around already.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Stopping Pucks

vCash: 14000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
That's awesome. Hope it won't take too long to have the first openly gay player in the league. With 600 players there has to be a bunch around already.
Oh God, I can't wait.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
forthewild

I think the big barrier to a player coming out isn't the team or the organization but fans. Look we all know that not every fan there is rational, specially on the road. Also when you throw in alcohol it gets out of hand. Now say you have a gay player, its an important game for the team and he pulls a Clayton "pass it to Hossa" Stoner and his team loses. i can see the some fans get irate with the player and blame his sexuality on that.

I hope that if and when there is a homosexual player in the NHL that comes out they prove my theory wrong, but man I can just picture fans chew into them for that sole reason which is a damn shame.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I think the big barrier to a player coming out isn't the team or the organization but fans. Look we all know that not every fan there is rational, specially on the road. Also when you throw in alcohol it gets out of hand. Now say you have a gay player, its an important game for the team and he pulls a Clayton "pass it to Hossa" Stoner and his team loses. i can see the some fans get irate with the player and blame his sexuality on that.

I hope that if and when there is a homosexual player in the NHL that comes out they prove my theory wrong, but man I can just picture fans chew into them for that sole reason which is a damn shame.
No doubt, there are always a**hats. Just reveals them as the mouth breathing neanderthals they are.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post

Yep, that's my biggest fear too, sadly. I doubt his team mates mind it, and if they do, they need to be kicked out for being ****ing stupid.

But as you said, I hope that someone comes out and fans prove us wrong. Sadly, with hockey being played in places like Texas, Arizona and Carolina, I don't see it happening as smoothly as we'd hope.

04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Yep, that's my biggest fear too, sadly. I doubt his team mates mind it, and if they do, they need to be kicked out for being ****ing stupid.

But as you said, I hope that someone comes out and fans prove us wrong. Sadly, with hockey being played in places like Texas, Arizona and Carolina, I don't see it happening as smoothly as we'd hope.
Since 2009, Texans between the ages of 18 and 29 have increasingly supported same-sex marriage. In June 2009, the University of Texas found that 49 percent of that age group supported same-sex marriage. In February 2013, it found that 59 percent of them did so. Opposition dropped 12 points in the same period, from 28 to 16 percent.[81]

Texas is getting more rational.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Don't really see it being an issue. I don't see anyone saying "well, if Setoguchi was white, he would have buried that puck." Maybe one or two backwards people, but not enough to really worry about.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

There's a difference between tweeting hateful things and saying it in a stadium. There was also a large backlash against those people among the hockey community.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post

There is a very big difference between North and South Carolina.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Speaking of race, yahoo had an article the other day about 14 Black "firsts". Like first black baseball player, first black president, etc. they had the first black nhl player, and i feel bad because i don't remember his name, but he played in the 80s. Who do they have for a picture of him?

PK Subban. I just had to laugh. How do they screw up that badly?

Old
04-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First black NHL'er was Willie O'Ree in the late 50's for Boston.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:38 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Herb Carnegie never played in the NHL. He was one of the best if not the best at that time. Praised by Jean Beliveau... actually Beliveau learned from him how to play hockey.

But he was black.

We've come a long way, but have we?

Old
04-11-2013, 03:01 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

First black NHLer that I recall playing for a Minnesota team, was Tony McKegney on the North Stars for a few seasons back in the mid 80's. Finished his career with 320 goals, pretty good player.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Don't really see it being an issue. I don't see anyone saying "well, if Setoguchi was white, he would have buried that puck." Maybe one or two backwards people, but not enough to really worry about.
Was it Joel Ward or Wayne Simmonds who had the banana thrown at them recently? There's definitely racism in hockey.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Was it Joel Ward or Wayne Simmonds who had the banana thrown at them recently? There's definitely racism in hockey.
Wayne Simmonds. One guy doing one stupid thing doesn't mean there's a pandemic of racism across the NHL.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Wayne Simmonds. One guy doing one stupid thing doesn't mean there's a pandemic of racism across the NHL.
I can't remember whose interview i read but i believe it was Simmonds and he talked about how horrendous it was coming up through juniors, described it as much worse then what he encounters at the NHL level but he did say he still encounters it.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
I can't remember whose interview i read but i believe it was Simmonds and he talked about how horrendous it was coming up through juniors, described it as much worse then what he encounters at the NHL level but he did say he still encounters it.
From fans or other players? I thought we were talking about fans getting on a player for being openly gay. I'd guess a lot of crazy ideologists would be up in arms but I'd think the level of support among fans, peers, teammates, and the media would be overwhelmingly positive.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
From fans or other players? I thought we were talking about fans getting on a player for being openly gay. I'd guess a lot of crazy ideologists would be up in arms but I'd think the level of support among fans, peers, teammates, and the media would be overwhelmingly positive.
I don't recall if the player was speaking of fans or players honestly, I am trying to find the interview but like i said i don't remember for sure that it was Simmonds in the interview.

Didn't a player get ejected from a game for a comment directed at PK?

Old
04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Can't wait to hear Don Cherry trying to rage against THIS.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

No hearing for hall? Really?

Old
04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
As expected.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Teddy10Beers

Quote:
Thought Hall's slash was just as bad as Volchenkov's elbow (which got 4 games).

At this point in the season I don't think Shanahan is interested in looking at anything that he doesn't have to and since the refs inexplicably didn't call a penalty on Hall it took Shanny off the hook.

If Vlasic hadn't been assessed a major after the game for his antics against Heatley ... I doubt Shanahan would have looked at that either.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
time for a goon-off

pmb vs hall

gogogo

Old
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
Honestly, why does someone HAVE to be open about it? Who cares? Whether you like "D's" or "V's" doesn't matter how you skate, pass and shoot.

I mean how many times have you said to yourself ... "Wow that is a good player, I sure hope he is straight, or I can't be fan of his"

Me...umm NEVER

Closed Thread