HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Minnesota NHL News X

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
  #626
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
So the NHL partnered with you can play? Very cool.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
  #627
FVM
Screaming seagulls
 
FVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 755
vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
So the NHL partnered with you can play? Very cool.
That's awesome. Hope it won't take too long to have the first openly gay player in the league. With 600 players there has to be a bunch around already.

FVM is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
  #628
Stopping Pucks
Registered User
 
Stopping Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 14000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
That's awesome. Hope it won't take too long to have the first openly gay player in the league. With 600 players there has to be a bunch around already.
Oh God, I can't wait.

Stopping Pucks is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
  #629
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
I think the big barrier to a player coming out isn't the team or the organization but fans. Look we all know that not every fan there is rational, specially on the road. Also when you throw in alcohol it gets out of hand. Now say you have a gay player, its an important game for the team and he pulls a Clayton "pass it to Hossa" Stoner and his team loses. i can see the some fans get irate with the player and blame his sexuality on that.

I hope that if and when there is a homosexual player in the NHL that comes out they prove my theory wrong, but man I can just picture fans chew into them for that sole reason which is a damn shame.

forthewild is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
  #630
FVM
Screaming seagulls
 
FVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 755
vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I think the big barrier to a player coming out isn't the team or the organization but fans. Look we all know that not every fan there is rational, specially on the road. Also when you throw in alcohol it gets out of hand. Now say you have a gay player, its an important game for the team and he pulls a Clayton "pass it to Hossa" Stoner and his team loses. i can see the some fans get irate with the player and blame his sexuality on that.

I hope that if and when there is a homosexual player in the NHL that comes out they prove my theory wrong, but man I can just picture fans chew into them for that sole reason which is a damn shame.
No doubt, there are always a**hats. Just reveals them as the mouth breathing neanderthals they are.

FVM is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
  #631
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I think the big barrier to a player coming out isn't the team or the organization but fans. Look we all know that not every fan there is rational, specially on the road. Also when you throw in alcohol it gets out of hand. Now say you have a gay player, its an important game for the team and he pulls a Clayton "pass it to Hossa" Stoner and his team loses. i can see the some fans get irate with the player and blame his sexuality on that.

I hope that if and when there is a homosexual player in the NHL that comes out they prove my theory wrong, but man I can just picture fans chew into them for that sole reason which is a damn shame.
Yep, that's my biggest fear too, sadly. I doubt his team mates mind it, and if they do, they need to be kicked out for being ****ing stupid.

But as you said, I hope that someone comes out and fans prove us wrong. Sadly, with hockey being played in places like Texas, Arizona and Carolina, I don't see it happening as smoothly as we'd hope.

__________________
"Flat out until you see God, count to three, then brake!" - Kevin Schwantz
Puhis is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
  #632
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Yep, that's my biggest fear too, sadly. I doubt his team mates mind it, and if they do, they need to be kicked out for being ****ing stupid.

But as you said, I hope that someone comes out and fans prove us wrong. Sadly, with hockey being played in places like Texas, Arizona and Carolina, I don't see it happening as smoothly as we'd hope.
Since 2009, Texans between the ages of 18 and 29 have increasingly supported same-sex marriage. In June 2009, the University of Texas found that 49 percent of that age group supported same-sex marriage. In February 2013, it found that 59 percent of them did so. Opposition dropped 12 points in the same period, from 28 to 16 percent.[81]

Texas is getting more rational.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
  #633
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,647
vCash: 500
Don't really see it being an issue. I don't see anyone saying "well, if Setoguchi was white, he would have buried that puck." Maybe one or two backwards people, but not enough to really worry about.

Jarick is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
  #634
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
There's a difference between tweeting hateful things and saying it in a stadium. There was also a large backlash against those people among the hockey community.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
  #635
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,524
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Yep, that's my biggest fear too, sadly. I doubt his team mates mind it, and if they do, they need to be kicked out for being ****ing stupid.

But as you said, I hope that someone comes out and fans prove us wrong. Sadly, with hockey being played in places like Texas, Arizona and Carolina, I don't see it happening as smoothly as we'd hope.
There is a very big difference between North and South Carolina.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
  #636
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,828
vCash: 710
Speaking of race, yahoo had an article the other day about 14 Black "firsts". Like first black baseball player, first black president, etc. they had the first black nhl player, and i feel bad because i don't remember his name, but he played in the 80s. Who do they have for a picture of him?

PK Subban. I just had to laugh. How do they screw up that badly?

FUBAR McDangles is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:16 PM
  #637
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,647
vCash: 500
First black NHL'er was Willie O'Ree in the late 50's for Boston.

Jarick is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:38 PM
  #638
W75
Wegistewed Usew
 
W75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,512
vCash: 50
Herb Carnegie never played in the NHL. He was one of the best if not the best at that time. Praised by Jean Beliveau... actually Beliveau learned from him how to play hockey.

But he was black.

We've come a long way, but have we?

W75 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:01 PM
  #639
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 50
First black NHLer that I recall playing for a Minnesota team, was Tony McKegney on the North Stars for a few seasons back in the mid 80's. Finished his career with 320 goals, pretty good player.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
  #640
Minnesota
Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Don't really see it being an issue. I don't see anyone saying "well, if Setoguchi was white, he would have buried that puck." Maybe one or two backwards people, but not enough to really worry about.
Was it Joel Ward or Wayne Simmonds who had the banana thrown at them recently? There's definitely racism in hockey.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
  #641
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Was it Joel Ward or Wayne Simmonds who had the banana thrown at them recently? There's definitely racism in hockey.
Wayne Simmonds. One guy doing one stupid thing doesn't mean there's a pandemic of racism across the NHL.

Jarick is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
  #642
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wayne Simmonds. One guy doing one stupid thing doesn't mean there's a pandemic of racism across the NHL.
I can't remember whose interview i read but i believe it was Simmonds and he talked about how horrendous it was coming up through juniors, described it as much worse then what he encounters at the NHL level but he did say he still encounters it.

Blizzard6411 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
  #643
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
I can't remember whose interview i read but i believe it was Simmonds and he talked about how horrendous it was coming up through juniors, described it as much worse then what he encounters at the NHL level but he did say he still encounters it.
From fans or other players? I thought we were talking about fans getting on a player for being openly gay. I'd guess a lot of crazy ideologists would be up in arms but I'd think the level of support among fans, peers, teammates, and the media would be overwhelmingly positive.

Jarick is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
  #644
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
From fans or other players? I thought we were talking about fans getting on a player for being openly gay. I'd guess a lot of crazy ideologists would be up in arms but I'd think the level of support among fans, peers, teammates, and the media would be overwhelmingly positive.
I don't recall if the player was speaking of fans or players honestly, I am trying to find the interview but like i said i don't remember for sure that it was Simmonds in the interview.

Didn't a player get ejected from a game for a comment directed at PK?

Blizzard6411 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
  #645
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Can't wait to hear Don Cherry trying to rage against THIS.

Puhis is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
  #646
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
No hearing for hall? Really?

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
  #647
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
No hearing for hall? Really?
As expected.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
  #648
Teddy10Beers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
No hearing for hall? Really?
Thought Hall's slash was just as bad as Volchenkov's elbow (which got 4 games).

At this point in the season I don't think Shanahan is interested in looking at anything that he doesn't have to and since the refs inexplicably didn't call a penalty on Hall it took Shanny off the hook.

If Vlasic hadn't been assessed a major after the game for his antics against Heatley ... I doubt Shanahan would have looked at that either.

Teddy10Beers is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  #649
OpRedDawn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 127
time for a goon-off

pmb vs hall

gogogo

OpRedDawn* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  #650
Dampland
Overly Moderated
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Job Search City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
That's awesome. Hope it won't take too long to have the first openly gay player in the league. With 600 players there has to be a bunch around already.
Honestly, why does someone HAVE to be open about it? Who cares? Whether you like "D's" or "V's" doesn't matter how you skate, pass and shoot.

I mean how many times have you said to yourself ... "Wow that is a good player, I sure hope he is straight, or I can't be fan of his"

Me...umm NEVER

Dampland is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.