HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

hypothetical question

View Poll Results: Which would you take with the #2 pick
Brule 11 44.00%
Johnson 13 52.00%
Somebody else 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Rowley Birkin

vCash: 500
hypothetical question

I have a question for you guys, for sabre fans in particular. As the title says, its totally hypothetical at the moment and lets be honest, almost totally unlikely to happen. But still...

Imagive that the draft lottery goes ahead, the Sabres miss out on the Crosby pick, but are lucky enough to be drawn at #2. Who do you take?

Gilbert Brule, probably the concencus #2 pick, a guy who would probably go #1 most years if not for Crosby. Everything i read about this guy, I like. He sound like a future superstar Or do we go for Jack Johnson. Some say he will go 2nd, but the fact that the Sabres have next to nothing on the future blueline is what interests me. Or do we pick someone else.

Now, my opinion is that we should take Brule. That may seem hypocritical, since i was so much against the Stafford pick last year, believing we should have taken a D-man {Meszaros?}, especially since the Oilers were so keen on Stafford anyway. But I think that when you are talking about someone as good as Brule should turn out to be, it makes things a little different.

Your opinions please?

Old
04-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If I had my choice, I lean toward Johnson while giving he, Brule, and Pouliot all long looks.

If in the hypothetical scouting or interview process I found one to be superior, I would certainly move toward him but as it stands, Johnson would be my choice.

04-12-2005, 12:21 PM
bernsy74

I've seen Pouliot play about 10 times this year. He's a legitimate #2 IMO.

Old
04-12-2005, 01:32 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

I really wish there was something that rated undrafted prospects the way that HF does for already-drafted prospects. I'd love to see how deep the defensemen prospects go this year. It's clear that the Sabres need defensemen.

Because of that need, I'm going with Johnson. Without it, I'd probably go with Pouilot. Hopefully they'll really address their D needs this draft... I'd like to see them draft nothing but D on day 1.

Old
04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think that if put in that situation, we need to take Johnson. Defense first. And besides, the ratio of good offensive prospects to defensive ones is so great that i'm sure we'd be able to land another super forward prospect in a later draft.

Old
04-12-2005, 04:44 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

i think you have to know johnson well enough and i don't. is he big?

i have herd how great he his. i am still looking for an offensive line like the rest of the league that is young and tallented.

i would rather draft a d- man in every round after and coach him. then miss out on a stud offensive weapon.

byt then again i really like defensive hockey also. and we have no body.

brule's stats were not that impressive.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 04-12-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old
04-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Digable5

You always, ALWAYS, draft on "best available" over need. Despite the fact that our cupboards are practically bare on defense, I think you take Brule if he certainly is the better player. However, if its basically a coin flip between the two then Johnson would make more sense. However, I feel that Brule is the guy to get. They could always trade down since even though this draft is deep, many teams would like to get there hands on Brule, and we could add more depth. Especially if there is a cap in place when the NHL returns, it will be even more important to have several good players rather than one great player.

Old
04-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27
I think that if put in that situation, we need to take Johnson. Defense first. And besides, the ratio of good offensive prospects to defensive ones is so great that i'm sure we'd be able to land another super forward prospect in a later draft.
I don't know about defense first or drafting by need that high makes much sense, but for me personally, I like the package of size and skill that Jackson provides. Granted, Brule and Pouliot are right there too. It's a coin toss, but I remain partial to defensemen.

Old
04-12-2005, 09:20 PM
westcoastsabre

I have seen Brule about 15 times, and have never seen him play a great game, a good one maybe. The Kelowna Rockets hardly ever have any problems shutting him down in Kelowna. He is gritty (dirty even) and has a great wrist shot, but I wonder about his size and his ability to fight through playoff traffic. There surely must be someone better at number two. I always get the feeling after watching him that I expected so much more from someone ranked so high in the draft. He was not a factor in their playoff series against Kelowna and may have been one of the reasons why they lost a series there for the taking (no Shea Weber).

Old
04-13-2005, 09:45 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastsabre
There surely must be someone better at number two.
I've been getting a lot of hearsay about Pouilot -- it sounds like he's leapfrogged Johnson and Brule.

Old
04-18-2005, 07:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I thought Pouilot was taken in the 2004 draft by Edmonton? I'm pretty sure he was already drafted, i just dont know by who

Old
04-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27
I thought Pouilot was taken in the 2004 draft by Edmonton? I'm pretty sure he was already drafted, i just dont know by who

You're thinking of Marc-Antoine ('03). He's talking about Benoit.

Old
04-19-2005, 03:18 AM
sensens

Quote:
I have seen Brule about 15 times, and have never seen him play a great game, a good one maybe. The Kelowna Rockets hardly ever have any problems shutting him down in Kelowna. He is gritty (dirty even) and has a great wrist shot, but I wonder about his size and his ability to fight through playoff traffic. There surely must be someone better at number two. I always get the feeling after watching him that I expected so much more from someone ranked so high in the draft. He was not a factor in their playoff series against Kelowna and may have been one of the reasons why they lost a series there for the taking (no Shea Weber).
I'm not saying this is necessarily wrong, but I think this post is a bit deceiving. Kelowna plays a pretty notoriously suffocating defensive game, which has prevented an awful lot of top WHL offensive players from scoring - not just an 18 year-old Gilbert Brule. Not to mention that in the 8GP (regular season) that Vancouver had against Kelowna this year, Brule had 4G and 6A in spite of his team going 1-5-2 in those games, and was the first star in two of those games, and the second star in another... not exactly a complete shut-down job.

As for the playoffs, yes it was a bit disappointing, but Brule was reportedly playing through injury during the playoffs, so you can interpret that either way - either as a demonstration of heart or an underachievement. Frankly, though, even if he hadn't of been injured, remember that their opponents won the Memorial Cup last year while giving up just 3 goals in their 4 M.C. games, and the fact that Kelowna has now shut out Seattle in all 3 of their wins in their current playoff series... this is a seriously defensive-minded team, and probably should have been the #1 team in the WHL, but still wound up rated #4 in the CHL, just after Rimouski.

Factor in some other considerations... namely that Brule stuck out like a sore thumb at the Top Prospects game, that he was 3rd in the WHL in scoring as an 18-yo (behind Eric Fehr and all of Ryan Stone's assists on Eric Fehr's goals), and that he's willing to play pretty much whatever kind of game is required (his 169PIM was good for 18th in the WHL), and he remains an awfully attractive package. #2 overall? Well, that remains up for debate, obviously.

Old
04-20-2005, 06:41 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Well, genius, Brule was playing that series with a seperated shoulder and back pain and still managed 5 points in 6 games VS the Rockets.

Pouliot over Brule? If you watched the prospects game, you know that Pouliot isn't in Brule's league.

Old
04-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Habs13

I think Montreal and Buffalo are in the same boat on this one.. both teams have great offensive prospects and not too much on the blue line, so, Jack Johnson for either team.

Old
04-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Buffalo Stylee

Johnson, definitely. Our blueline needs a game breaker type prospect.

Closed Thread