HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VII

Old
04-15-2013, 03:33 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Red Fisher conference results:

Foster Hewitt:
1. Trail Smoke Eaters
2. Ottawa Senators
3. Guelph Platers
4. Dawson City Nuggets

Jim Robson:
1. Montreal Canadiens
2. Kenora Thistles
3. Chicago Shamrocks
4. Detroit Red Wings

James Creighton:
1. Minnesota Fighting Saints
2. Halifax Mooseheads
3. Edmonton Mercurys
4. Boston Mules

Louis Magnus:
1. Vancouver Millionaires
2. Pittsburgh Bankers
3. West Island Lions
4. Viking Maniacs

Top-8 Conference Standings (NHL regular season style):

1. Minnesota Fighting Saints
2. Trail Smoke Eaters
3. Montreal Canadiens
4. Vancouver Millionaires
5. Pittsburgh Bankers
6. Kenora Thistles
7. Ottawa Senators
8. Chicago Shamrocks

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 04-15-2013 at 03:48 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:49 AM
EagleBelfour

Pretty much my ranking for the Jim Coleman Conference, although I disagree with some ranking in the Red Fisher one. It's nice to win our division once again, after missing on it 2 years in a row.

EDIT: My three favourite team to win the draft (excluding Dave & I team) have all won their division, although none finish first in their conference.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Jim Coleman conference results:

Bob Cole:
1. Hershey
2. Mystery
3. Seattle
4. Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Red Fisher conference results:

Louis Magnus:
1. Vancouver Millionaires
2. Pittsburgh Bankers
3. West Island Lions
4. Viking Maniacs

I'm glad we spent those 2 weeks debating if my team would get a "competitive advantage or not", it has clearly proven my point that this voting system is a farse and that personal opinions of individual GM's outweigh actual teams.

Not like it's a big surprise, if anything i'm happy with the voting results it shows what i've been looking to do the entire time.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:26 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post

I'm glad we spent those 2 weeks debating if my team would get a "competitive advantage or not", it has clearly proven my point that this voting system is a farse and that personal opinions of individual GM's outweigh actual teams.

Not like it's a big surprise, if anything i'm happy with the voting results it shows what i've been looking to do the entire time.
- Hershey is IMO, one of the better team in the draft, and objecively it's very hard to place them anywhere else but first in their division.

- I had you either second or third, flip-flopping between you and the Mystery Alaskans. Two teams constructed of different manner, with obvious flaws, but terrific strength. I have a hard time seeing how Seattle have a better team than yours, but to each their own.

- What were you 'looking to do the entire time', if I may ask? If the sole reason of your participation in these drafts is to sabotage them, perhaps it would be wise not to participate in further installment & concentrate your free time on something else.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
BraveCanadian

For the sake of argument I had Hersey first in their division and you second, mark.

Like I said earlier though, outside of a few stragglers there is a lot of parity so several teams I really could have flipped a coin on.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:35 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
For the sake of argument I had Hersey first in their division and you second, mark.

Like I said earlier though, outside of a few stragglers there is a lot of parity so several teams I really could have flipped a coin on.
Half the division it was very hard placing a 4th place team. Some undeserving last position team that, given the right matchup, could knock out first place team, no question.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:39 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
- Hershey is IMO, one of the better team in the draft, and objecively it's very hard to place them anywhere else but first in their division.

- I had you either second or third, flip-flopping between you and the Mystery Alaskans. Two teams constructed of different manner, with obvious flaws, but terrific strength. I have a hard time seeing how Seattle have a better team than yours, but to each their own.

- What were you 'looking to do the entire time', if I may ask? If the sole reason of your participation in these drafts is to sabotage them, perhaps it would be wise not to participate in further installment & concentrate your free time on something else.
Quote:

Hey i'm not saying I was a slam dunk to finish first, there w other really good teams. But coming dead last is a clear showing of how things work.

And what I was looking to do EB was create my team and then near the end of the draft try and tip the scales by having a trade that clearly improves my team and yet still be voted last.

I have nothing but good things to say about MB, but the trade was a slam dunk in my favour (as shown by the pages upon pages of veto talk), and yet still voted last

Old
04-15-2013, 08:40 AM
MadArcand
Whaletarded

Quote:
Ditto that.

I'm definitely surprised to see mark's team last, but I'd be just as surprised if it'd be first ahead of Hershey.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I'm not surprised that we finished 2nd to Hershey. They were the one team we thought might take the division ahead of us.

I do think that our division is abnormally strong. Mark would have won a few other divisions.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Hey i'm not saying I was a slam dunk to finish first, there w other really good teams. But coming dead last is a clear showing of how things work.

And what I was looking to do EB was create my team and then near the end of the draft try and tip the scales by having a trade that clearly improves my team and yet still be voted last.

I have nothing but good things to say about MB, but the trade was a slam dunk in my favour (as shown by the pages upon pages of veto talk), and yet still voted last
The pieces was clearly at your advantage, but suited MB team far better (I didn't have MB first in their division). I think you team look more ackward and unbalance after the trade. However, is the cheer advantage of gaining Red Kelly made your team overall a better one? I'm not sure. As I said, I'm not sure why Seattle was voted ahead of you, but finishing third behind VanI & Dreak is perfectly normal objectively.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:46 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I'm not surprised that we finished 2nd to Hershey. They were the one team we thought might take the division ahead of us.

I do think that our division is abnormally strong. Mark would have won a few other divisions.
I would be curious which 'few' divisions you or Mark could of won.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
markrander87

There is nothing to debate here, it's pretty black and white. I was clearly not the worst team in the division and was voted last, i'm honestly not surprised.

I could easily name at least 6 GM's who I know without a doubt voted my team last.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
There is nothing to debate here, it's pretty black and white. I was clearly not the worst team in the division and was voted last, i'm honestly not surprised.

I could easily name at least 6 GM's who I know without a doubt voted my team last.
You didn't expect them to be unbiased with posts from you like this, though, did you?

People can be biased and not even realize it.

I mean I agree that GM reputation seems to get the benefit of the doubt around here but antagonizing people all the time isn't the way to fix it.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:09 AM
markrander87

Quote:
You didn't expect them to be unbiased with posts from you like this, though, did you?

People can be biased and not even realize it.

I mean I agree that GM reputation seems to get the benefit of the doubt around here but antagonizing people all the time isn't the way to fix it.
I'm not going to sit quietly and have the same 5-6 GM's dominate the conversations and try to garner a couple more votes, what's the point of that? I would rather them just say my posts cause them to vote me last rather then saying "Oh you're acting like we are all against you, we vote purely on teams etc.."

I don't participate in these to sit on the sidelines and not upset the apple cart in hopes that my team can get more votes, I participate because I enjoy reading about Hockey's History and I enjoy a lot of the posts from a portion of the GM's.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:00 AM
tony d
BMO

2nd in the division and 5th in the conference. Will definitely take that. Congrats to the division winners and a great effort by all the other 24 teams. Looking forward to a spirited ATD playoffs.

04-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I'm not going to sit quietly and have the same 5-6 GM's dominate the conversations and try to garner a couple more votes, what's the point of that? I would rather them just say my posts cause them to vote me last rather then saying "Oh you're acting like we are all against you, we vote purely on teams etc.."

I don't participate in these to sit on the sidelines and not upset the apple cart in hopes that my team can get more votes, I participate because I enjoy reading about Hockey's History and I enjoy a lot of the posts from a portion of the GM's.
5-6 GMs only get 5-6 votes. When we end up with nearly 40 voters, a group of 5 or 6 don't really have a lot of voting power.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:07 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
5-6 GMs only get 5-6 votes. When we end up with nearly 40 voters, a group of 5 or 6 don't really have a lot of voting power.
That is 15% of the vote.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I would be curious which 'few' divisions you or Mark could of won.
I think the Alaskans could have won our own division. I'm not complaining about where we finished, since the voting looks to be very fair to me, but I don't see a gap between Hershey and us.

I could be wrong, but I would think our division was one of the more tightly voted ones in the draft. The fact that they finished 4th overall tells me there was quite a lot of vote-splitting in our division.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
markrander87

Quote:
You're also assuming everybody voted which is never the case. The people I rub the wrong way are the people who are always on, which are the GM's who always cast their votes.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
I think the Alaskans could have won our own division. I'm not complaining about where we finished, since the voting looks to be very fair to me, but I don't see a gap between Hershey and us.

I could be wrong, but I would think our division was one of the more tightly voted ones in the draft. The fact that they finished 4th overall tells me there was quite a lot of vote-splitting in our division.
It was one of the toughest ones for me to rank, and I think the only division where not a single team finished where I had them.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
That is 15% of the vote.
Which is not much voting power...

Old
04-15-2013, 10:25 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Which is not much voting power...
I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous statement.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous statement.
How much influence do you think that has over the rankings? Do you think he was in 1st or 2nd before the "biased" 5-6 votes came in?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
How much influence do you think that has over the rankings? Do you think he was in 1st or 2nd before the "biased" 5-6 votes came in?
I have no idea but I do know that things are close enough in this that 15% of the vote is pretty heavy.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea but I do know that things are close enough in this that 15% of the vote is pretty heavy.
Again, this "15%" is based off the assumption that every GM voted, that is never the case.