HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs vs Flames - 8PM MST - ALL ABOARD!

Old
03-28-2013, 05:08 PM
hoserthehorrible

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
To a point coaching can relieve the problem (not solve but make it better). Just rely very heavily on EJ and Barrie on the right side and alternate who is on their left to limit their minutes and zone starts.

IE:
EJ-26 min
Barrie 24 min
Hejda 21 min
SOB 17 min
Hunwick 16 min
Zanon 16 min

This alone could make this defense look a lot better. It keeps our best two defensemen always on the ice, while limiting the amount of minutes the others have to make a mistake.
A blue line of Johnson, Barrie and Hejda at the core is not going to put the team in a cup contending position. Johnson needs a couple players of his caliber or better to make this team's defense adequate. Hejda is not a top pairing Dman and should be used as a supplement to a strong blue line core; not as one of the showcase blue liners. Barrie is way too inexperienced, and not nearly big or strong enough yet, to be relied on to carry a defensive unit.

The Avs have one decent Dman, a role player Dman, and a youngster. The rest of the blue line is incompetent. Zanon, Hunwick, SOB, ROB are all horrible NHL defensemen and need to be dumped for whatever the team can get; if anything. Wilson is always hurt so he's not reliable at all.

Changing out Sacco for whomever is not going to solve the blue line problems. It won't hurt but it isn't the only answer either. The team needs new personnel.

hoserthehorrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserthehorrible View Post
A blue line of Johnson, Barrie and Hejda at the core is not going to put the team in a cup contending position. Johnson needs a couple players of his caliber or better to make this team's defense adequate. Hejda is not a top pairing Dman and should be used as a supplement to a strong blue line core; not as one of the showcase blue liners. Barrie is way too inexperienced, and not nearly big or strong enough yet, to be relied on to carry a defensive unit.

The Avs have one decent Dman, a role player Dman, and a youngster. The rest of the blue line is incompetent. Zanon, Hunwick, SOB, ROB are all horrible NHL defensemen and need to be dumped for whatever the team can get; if anything. Wilson is always hurt so he's not reliable at all.

Changing out Sacco for whomever is not going to solve the blue line problems. It won't hurt but it isn't the only answer either. The team needs new personnel.
I said a coach could relieve the problem not solve it. In no way is that a cup contending defense, nor is it claimed to be. It would just let our best players carry the load, and it would work better than what is going on now. Totally a relative term.

I disagree about the Barrie comment. He is pretty much ready to be relied on. When EJ was hurt he was averaging about 22 minutes a game and looked great doing it. He made Hejda look better than any other defensemen on this team has. Any time Barrie is paired with somebody else he makes them look better than they have in a while. It isn't ideal to throw him out there and play 24 minutes, but it isn't much more than he played earlier this season.

In other words, I will take EJ and Barrie splitting most of the minutes than giving more playing time to ROB/Hunwick/Zanon.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:21 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 50
http://deadspin.com/anchor-loses-his...ium=socialflow

We made it on Deadspin.

JWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:
I said a coach could relieve the problem not solve it. In no way is that a cup contending defense, nor is it claimed to be. It would just let our best players carry the load, and it would work better than what is going on now. Totally a relative term.

I disagree about the Barrie comment. He is pretty much ready to be relied on. When EJ was hurt he was averaging about 22 minutes a game and looked great doing it. He made Hejda look better than any other defensemen on this team has. Any time Barrie is paired with somebody else he makes them look better than they have in a while. It isn't ideal to throw him out there and play 24 minutes, but it isn't much more than he played earlier this season.

In other words, I will take EJ and Barrie splitting most of the minutes than giving more playing time to ROB/Hunwick/Zanon.
Hell, I could coach the team and get better results than Sacco. It's still not going to solve the problem unless a poor or mediocre team is what you're looking for. If you want a quality team then the blue line needs to be overhauled.

When Barrie was getting 22 minutes a game how did the Avs do? Were they a cup contending team? Were they even a playoff contending team? No, they were sniffing the bottom of the barrel. Therein lies the problem. If you have to rely on Barrie to be a top Dman on your team then your defense is seriously inadequate.

If you think Barrie is a Dman that can carry a team right now then perhaps Sherman has a job for you. I don't think he's capable now and I have my doubts he'll ever be capable of being a top Dman at the NHL level.

Last edited by hoserthehorrible: 03-28-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 05:35 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I never said anything about solving a problem. Other teams use strategies to hide their weaker defensemen, and play their better defensemen more often. It is a tactic that has worked for years.

Look at the Wild this year. Rely on your best (Suter 27+ min), play your capable, hide your weak (Falk ~13min). If they played everybody 20 minutes including Suter and Falk, their defense would look a hell of a lot worse. It isn't rocket science on how to hide terrible defensemen. The Avs biggest problem is that they only have 3 that are capable of playing 20+ minutes, the rest suck. So to do this you have to overplay Barrie and possibly Hejda.

When it comes to Barrie, team and pairing are two different things. Rely on EJ to carry the team's defense. Barrie just has to be the best on his pairing.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:36 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
And what are the other options that Sacco has?? Zanon, O'Brien, O'Byrne??? It's dificult to say who is worst. Frankly, i would rather have Hunwick with EJ than the other three. And Hejda hasn't been much better either.

While Sacco is the easy scapegoat. Sherman is the ******** that built this great defense.
I was going to sarcastically say that Hejda says hello but I can feel your frustration too. But we both know the d pairings do not have to be lashed together at the beginning of the game. EJ is capable of playing a couple of extra shifts with each of those clowns so we don't have two pylons on the ice at the same time for 40 minutes a night. EJ, Barrie and Hejda all should be showing distinctly higher TOI than the rest. I'd include Wilson with them but he's back on the shelf. And O'Brien should not be last in TOI no matter what.

I'll give you the entire d is weak but Sacco has exasperated the situation greatly. Again, the players are who they are. I can't fault them for signing the contracts they were handed. It's not their fault our GM doesn't know how to build a defensive corp and our coach can't devise a strategy or effectively manage TOI.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:48 PM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:
I never said anything about solving a problem. Other teams use strategies to hide their weaker defensemen, and play their better defensemen more often. It is a tactic that has worked for years.

Look at the Wild this year. Rely on your best (Suter 27+ min), play your capable, hide your weak (Falk ~13min). If they played everybody 20 minutes including Suter and Falk, their defense would look a hell of a lot worse. It isn't rocket science on how to hide terrible defensemen. The Avs biggest problem is that they only have 3 that are capable of playing 20+ minutes, the rest suck. So to do this you have to overplay Barrie and possibly Hejda.

When it comes to Barrie, team and pairing are two different things. Rely on EJ to carry the team's defense. Barrie just has to be the best on his pairing.
Rely on your best, play your capable, and hide your weak. Great idea! If you don't have four or five weak defensemen.

Are you suppose to play EJ 30 minutes a night to try and hide Zanon, O'Byrne, Hunwick and O'Brien? 30 minutes a night is going to kill EJ if it's for more than a few games. Assuming you buy into the EJ 30 minutes a night theory, then what? Play Hejda and Barrie for 22+ minute a night?

If the team has to play Hejda and Barrie 22+ minutes a night then that team is seriously hurting on the blue line. Hence the need for new personnel.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I was going to sarcastically say that Hejda says hello but I can feel your frustration too. But we both know the d pairings do not have to be lashed together at the beginning of the game. EJ is capable of playing a couple of extra shifts with each of those clowns so we don't have two pylons on the ice at the same time for 40 minutes a night. EJ, Barrie and Hejda all should be showing distinctly higher TOI than the rest. I'd include Wilson with them but he's back on the shelf. And O'Brien should not be last in TOI no matter what.

I'll give you the entire d is weak but Sacco has exasperated the situation greatly. Again, the players are who they are. I can't fault them for signing the contracts they were handed. It's not their fault our GM doesn't know how to build a defensive corp and our coach can't devise a strategy or effectively manage TOI.
EJ got 24 minutes last night. The reason he didn't get to the 26min mark is because he is not getting 1st PP time. And EJ is the only one to blame for it. The 5 fwd PP is working better.

EJ was very good in the 3rd last night and was rewarded with more ice time. Maybe if he played like that every night he would get more icetime. And Hunwick was his partner so he got more ice time too.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote