HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part Deux **

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 06:14 PM
IndustryLeech

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I don't think a coach should have to come up with a huge ****ing win one for the gipper speech every single game. I think it says more about the character of the players that as well paid as they are some of them just aren't interested in showing up. They shouldn't have to have William Wallace riding a pony around the locker-room before ever ****ing game to play like they did last night. They should be doing that every single game because that is what they are paid to do. Now, I'm not saying the end results of the game will always be a win but the effort should always be there.

Having said all that...I do believe Joe Sacco needs to go. But I also think the evil father and son duo, Greg Sherman and probably every single player Jiggy was referring to should be given the heave-ho as well. But that's just me...
I don't remember saying that the coach needed to constantly motivate the team to perform, but establishing the expectation for a consistent level of effort and accountability from the entire would make that unnecessary anyway. There is a middle ground you know.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I think he has been to easy. I think he had the right approach when he came in and made everyone accountable. Remember him sitting Chris Stewart then sending him to the minors? Something happened along the way and he started getting on guys like Galiardi for watver reason. Him not holding ROB, Zanon and Hunwick accountable for their fuq ups is what also boggles my mind. Telling us Barrie is 7th/8th on the depth chart infuriated me to no end seeing as hes the only defenseman we have whose a threat from back there and whose been our best dman all year YES more consistent then Mr. Johnson.
When was that?? Was that when Barrie was sent down?? I think it had a lot do with Barrie being the only defenseman with a two way contract.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
When was that?? Was that when Barrie was sent down?? I think it had a lot do with Barrie being the only defenseman with a two way contract.
It was before he got sent back down and Sacco was keeping him in the press box for a number of games after Barrie had played pretty well. It was very strange being that Barrie had played much better than ROB, Zanon, and SOB at the time.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:08 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
It was before he got sent back down and Sacco was keeping him in the press box for a number of games after Barrie had played pretty well. It was very strange being that Barrie had played much better than ROB, Zanon, and SOB at the time.
Yeah, i now remember, it was when Johnson came back from injury.

Maybe it was Sacco taking one for the team (the team being the FO). It would be easier to explain Barrie being demoted after Wilson came back.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Sacco was prematurely hired and shouldn't have had his contract renewed, but that only proves how bad our FO is.

I'm sure there is a lot of better coaches out there. But i also know that if you go to the other 29 team's boards you will find a lot of fans that believe they know more than their team's coach.

And i remember how much crap Queenville got from fans around here, and most wanted him gone too, just couldn't imagine Granato would be his replacement (again, proof of how bad our FO is).

A fan acting as if a video coach giving one of his players a few tips, is something that doesn't happen here because Sacco is so bad, is actually funny. That's why every team has a video coach, isn't it?

And we have to decide whether our defense is underachieving or not. We can't whine about Zanon/Hunwick/SOB/ROB, and give Sacco crap when those guys don't play like PK Subban.
Not sure why you are upset with me being critical of Sacco's teaching skills, when you want him gone too. Sure there are other problems with the team, but does that need to preface every conversation about Sacco?

Old
04-11-2013, 09:33 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Not sure why you are upset with me being critical of Sacco's teaching skills, when you want him gone too. Sure there are other problems with the team, but does that need to preface every conversation about Sacco?
Sorry Foppa, i wasn't upset with you, i actually quoted you when i should have quoted avsfan89.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Sorry Foppa, i wasn't upset with you, i actually quoted you when i should have quoted avsfan89.
All good. Hopefully we can get what most all of us want in a new coach, and then we can get a little closer in settling the EJ and management debate that's a little more polarizing.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
the_fan

I see zero indications from the Avs management that they are going to fire Sacco now or in off-season.

They are putting all the blame on the players for lack of success. Everyone from media to players and probably the management is saying it's not Sacco it's the players.

He's not going anywhere. This thread might as well be closed.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
I see zero indications from the Avs management that they are going to fire Sacco now or in off-season.

They are putting all the blame on the players for lack of success. Everyone from media to players and probably the management is saying it's not Sacco it's the players.

He's not going anywhere. This thread might as well be closed.
There's no indication either way. And the team and media aren't putting the blame all on the players, not sure why you think that. Of course the players are blaming themselves, that's what players always do in this situation.

This team takes advantage of it's fans more than any other in the league IMO, but I would be shocked if they went into next season with him behind the bench. There's just no justification for it after another season like this.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Foppa2118

BTW, I don't think anyone has mentioned a dark horse candidate for the next nepotistic head coach.

Konowalchuk. Doesn't matter that he's 49-83-8 with Seattle as HC, that should only help his chances.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:01 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

About two weeks ago I said that the Avs would start a winning streak and that would save Sacco's job. There it is guys. It has started.

As long as we stay in the top four, I'd be happy. Yes I really like Barkov.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:04 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
About two weeks ago I said that the Avs would start a winning streak and that would save Sacco's job. There it is guys. It has started.

As long as we stay in the top four, I'd be happy. Yes I really like Barkov.
I don't know that I'd actually call losing 5 straight, winning one and then losing one a winning streak.

Granted, it's been a tough season and it's taken its toll on all of us.

I get what you are saying...you'd rather the team not collect points in losing efforts. That's why I support 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win and 1 point for shootout win and 0 for the loser regardless.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:26 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I don't know that I'd actually call losing 5 straight, winning one and then losing one a winning streak.

Granted, it's been a tough season and it's taken its toll on all of us.

I get what you are saying...you'd rather the team not collect points in losing efforts. That's why I support 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win and 1 point for shootout win and 0 for the loser regardless.
Yeah I was counting the losing point as part of our turn around...I should have probably called it a "streak without a loss" lol

You get what I'm saying. My point was more about finishing strong which management would use to save Sacco's job.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:16 AM
CobraAcesS

O'Byrne is +4 with 2 points in 3 games with Toronto, it's amazing what a competent coach can do.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:33 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
O'Byrne is +4 with 2 points in 3 games with Toronto, it's amazing what a competent coach can do.
That is around +108 and 54 point pace over full season.

Sherman blew it up again.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
or winning culture, right?

Old
04-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

So a team that hasn't made the playoffs in what seems forever has a winning culture?

Old
04-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Let's see will this trade also be where Sherm let our best offensive D walk away (like Shatty).
None of our players are on pace for 50 points for this team.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
So a team that hasn't made the playoffs in what seems forever has a winning culture?
That's why I'm joking about it. Some people here says losing now is bad because we have losing culture here and our players will suck forever, because they keep losing this year or whatever. Look at Maple Leafs. It's not like they have winning culture.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
That's why I'm joking about it. Some people here says losing now is bad because we have losing culture here and our players will suck forever, because they keep losing this year or whatever. Look at Maple Leafs. It's not like they have winning culture.
There are plenty of teams that have been stuck in losing cycles for a decade. Including the Leafs.

It took a coach coming in that wasn't afraid to sweep away some of the veterans that were part of the problem (Lombardi traded, Connolly in the AHL, Komisarek buried), adding players like McClement and instituting a system of meritocracy. Kadri/Frattin might not have played under Wilson and Burke. Orr/Fraser/McLaren certainly wouldn't.

It's not as easy as flicking a switch to become a winning team. The idea that it's a bad idea to do it now because we can always do it in camp next year makes zero sense. It's learning the right habits. It takes time. What the team does now, even if there is no tangible draft benefit to it, will help them in the future.

Last edited by Freudian: 04-14-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 09:05 AM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Nor have the Leafs won anything yet.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:20 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post

Sherman blew it up again.
I'm just saying, it's a turn around (Short sample size) from what was one of our worst defenders this year. Their coach and system, had to have something to do with it.

He didn't starting playing right away, and got quite a bit of practice time in before he got into the lineup.

I'm not saying they shouldn't of traded him, but it's a good indicator of how bad our coach is when one of our worst defenders shows that much improvement that quickly after being traded.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:27 PM
iceberg

Quote:
I'm just saying, it's a turn around (Short sample size) from what was one of our worst defenders this year. Their coach and system, had to have something to do with it.

He didn't starting playing right away, and got quite a bit of practice time in before he got into the lineup.

I'm not saying they shouldn't of traded him, but it's a good indicator of how bad our coach is when one of our worst defenders shows that much improvement that quickly after being traded.
Same thing happened with McGinn and Downie last year and Mitchell this year. That means Sacco is a better coach than Tortorella and McLellan, right?

Also, the same O'Byrne was the 7th defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens when he first got here, and played relativelly well right after the trade. That makes Sacco better than whoever was the Montreal coach back then, right?

Old
04-14-2013, 02:29 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Same thing happened with McGinn and Downie last year and Mitchell this year. That means Sacco is a better coach than Tortorella and McLellan, right?

Also, the same O'Byrne was the 7th defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens when he first got here, and played relativelly well right after the trade. That makes Sacco better than whoever was the Montreal coach back then, right?
Uh there are some serious differences...

McGinn, Downie, and Mitchell all got larger roles, as did O'Byrne after coming over from Montreal. O'Byrne isn't getting any more or less ice time. The biggest difference is a new coach and system.

Nice try though

Old
04-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Sheet

vCash: 1727
Quote:
I agree that Sacco most go, but you guys love to crap on his head. There is only so much coaches can do.

You can show all the video you want, but those players have limitations.

Hunwick is looking much better this days compared to how he looked when he first got here. But i guess the coaches have nothing to do with it, right?
When he plays 22 minutes a game...

With that logic, staz, jones, etc etc can be used as a gauge too.

Closed Thread