HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part Deux **

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
LOL, yeah right..

Radulov is exactly what the Avs need. A team that can't win getting a guy who doesn't care about winning
You didn't happen to write up the same piece about Alexander Semin last summer for TSN, did you? Or about Varlamov not signing with the Avs and going back to Russia?

Russian = problem. The North American mentality. Shameful stuff. For every "Semin", I can give you a Wolski and more.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:27 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
Could have used Radulov this year with Sacco I guess...

04-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Can these friggin analyst that watch like 2-3 Av games a year stop propping up Sacco? How the hell does Pierre McGuirre know if Sacco is a problem or not?

Yea, he has them very well prepared, but they're probably among the league leaders in giving up the first goal, let alone first two goals. Don't talk about things you know nothing about. Idiot.

Quote:
“I don’t think their problem is coaching at all,” McGuire said. “I think Joe Sacco has them very well prepared every night and I like their systems of pushing the puck. The coach doesn’t get to pick the players, he has to make do with the players picked for him.”
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...alanche/12903/

Old
04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Well Pierre is right on one thing. Sacco doesn't get to pick the players. Sacco's game plan is built on creating offense from defense. This requires defenseman that can transition quickly. Highly skilled defenseman. In saying that, Sacco knew what his lineup was going to be. He isn't walking into every game blind. He has the worst transition defenders in the league on the bench, so maybe it is time to change your system.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Well Pierre is right on one thing. Sacco doesn't get to pick the players. Sacco's game plan is built on creating offense from defense. This requires defenseman that can transition quickly. Highly skilled defenseman. In saying that, Sacco knew what his lineup was going to be. He isn't walking into every game blind. He has the worst transition defenders in the league on the bench, so maybe it is time to change your system.
It's like you've never even seen Hunwick play.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:14 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Its ripe for another egime change and im talking overhaul. Im talking getting rid of Lacroix, Sherman, Sacco the whole lot. We saw it with FG and Granato getting axed. We need another one. Wat they did tonight and the game before is nothing short of disgraceful to such a storied organization.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Its ripe for another egime change and im talking overhaul. Im talking getting rid of Lacroix, Sherman, Sacco the whole lot. We saw it with FG and Granato getting axed. We need another one. Wat they did tonight and the game before is nothing short of disgraceful to such a storied organization.
Won't happen. He will stay for another 3 years at least, probably 5-10 more years. He is grooming Sakic for the President role IMO, and he still has a lot to learn.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
I disagree on this. Sacco's "system" is to generate offense from turnovers with an aggressive three man forecheck. Both in the offensive zone, and the neutral zone, multiple forwards are rushing the puck carrier instead of clogging lanes.

This is great when the team is on it's A game, but it's pretty unsustainable over the course of the long haul. If the team is slightly out of sync, or a little flat, they get eaten alive, and give the other team easy outlets and an easy transition game, which then puts way too much pressure on a crappy D unit.

Sacco doesn't use the D very much at all for offense, except to send short passes to the forwards in their own zone and let them do all the work. That's why they have almost no goals or points from their D men. It doesn't help that they're mostly defensive guys, but even guys like O'Brien, Hejda, and EJ should be able to put up secondary assists, or a few goals. Hell, O'Byrne scored a goal in his first Leaf game.

I'm all for more of an offensive system, than a defensive one, but no matter how many times PL gets his coach to try this uber offensive style, it doesn't work anymore. They need to have a more balanced approach, that's not as aggressive, or they'll continue to give up too many goals, and fail to hold leads.

Last edited by Mystic MacK: 04-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 11:34 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I disagree on this. Sacco's "system" is to generate offense from turnovers with an aggressive three forward forecheck. Both in the offensive zone, and the neutral zone, multiple forwards are rushing the puck carrier instead of clogging lanes.

This is great when the team is on it's A game, but it's pretty unsustainable over the course of the long haul. If the team is slightly out of sync, or a little flat, they get eaten alive, and give the other team easy outlets and an easy transition game, which then puts way too much pressure on a crappy D unit.

I'm all for more of an offensive system, than a defensive one, but no matter how many time PL gets his coach to try this uber offensive style, it doesn't work anymore. They need to have a more balanced approach, that's not as aggressive, or they'll continue to give up too many goals, and fail to hold leads.
Agree with the neutral zone, but they only have 1 forward pressuring in the offensive zone when opposition has the puck. They do try and force bad passes and create turnovers in the neutral zone though.

And what I meant from creating offense from defense is exactly this. Trying to create opportunities when the other team has possession. When the Avs have possession they just get it deep and give the puck right back to the other team. It is like they are always defending a lead.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Agree with the neutral zone, but they only have 1 forward pressuring in the offensive zone when opposition has the puck. They do try and force bad passes and create turnovers in the neutral zone though.

And what I meant from creating offense from defense is exactly this. Trying to create opportunities when the other team has possession. When the Avs have possession they just get it deep and give the puck right back to the other team. It is like they are always defending a lead.
They send in one forechecker, but the 2nd and 3rd ones are just waiting to pressure the next guy that gets the pass, and a lot of times two of them are right next to each other, and all three are still in the zone rather than someone hanging back in the middle.

I really think this causes them a lot of problems. They have to be perfectly on point every time for this to work, and the top teams are just gonna support each other well and make quick passes to move up ice with plenty of time and space.

It's part of the reason why Duchene, who's got almost all his 36 points in 38 games 5 on 5, and a plus with each of those plus the ones he didn't pick up an assist on, but he's a -11. They are sacrificing too much of their overall game for offense, and putting too much pressure on a immobile and poor D unit.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

On a side note, Tony Granato's brother Don is in the running for Gwozdecky's replacement according to Chambers. Denver just can't get rid of these Granato's.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Rrabb1t

About 4 weeks ago or so I was hoping that Washington keep on losing and Oates gets canned so that Avs would have a chance to hire this guy. I think his system would fit the Avs extremely well. Not to mention that he actually knows how to coach a powerplay.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:26 AM
HockeyFan100

As of 10-11, Sacco's coaching record is 83-101-19.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:50 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
As of 10-11, Sacco's coaching record is 83-101-19.
Better than I thought.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:59 AM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

After Giggy's comments last night Sacco is getting lambasted in the media here in Canada. Duhatchuk was just on Fan960 in Calgary and was saying he would have fired him by now. He thinks the only reason they haven't is because Roy will be coming in and Roy is busy in the Q right now. This is all just opinion on his part, no rumors or anything.

One thing is for sure. Sacco has no control over that room. There is no respect there for him.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:04 AM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

“It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed to be here right now. It’s not even funny.”

"It’s just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game."

--

If I'm a head coach and my most respected veteran (Hejduk won't say a word) talks like that, I have a hard time facing my dressing room the next day.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Hesher
Sagan for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Better than I thought.
Would love to see his record against the Western Conf.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:17 AM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny.Ē

"Itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game."

--

If I'm a head coach and my most respected veteran (Hejduk won't say a word) talks like that, I have a hard time facing my dressing room the next day.
Im not so sure Sacco doesnt seem very tuned in on whats going on. If it werent for the numbers and names on the back of the jersey I doubt he could tell Duchene apart from Zanon. Giggy complains about practices being not intense or whatever but isnt it the responsibility of the guy running the bench to keep our guys in line?

Old
04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Quote:
Im not so sure Sacco doesnt seem very tuned in on whats going on. If it werent for the numbers and names on the back of the jersey I doubt he could tell Duchene apart from Zanon. Giggy complains about practices being not intense or whatever but isnt it the responsibility of the guy running the bench to keep our guys in line?
It is like there is a substitute teacher. Nobody respects him. Yeah, yeah, blah, blah.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Huis Clos*

Quote:
What's funny is I swear Chambers or Dater wrote earlier in the season that with Army and Quinn on board the practices were much more up tempo this season.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny.Ē

"Itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game."

--

Two weeks ago Giguere said it wasn't the coach.

"It has nothing to do with the coaches. The system is there. It's a good system. It's the same system as we played last year, when we had some success. When we decide to be all on the same page and play within the rules of our team, we're a successful team, especially with the talent that we have."

It seems he's got more of a problem with some of his team mates.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:32 AM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

I'm not saying he's talking about the coach, Freud. I'm saying that as a head coach, I would be ashamed to face my team. You're the captain of the ship and accountable for all members on-board. I'd be extremely embarrassed knowing there is so much turmoil amongst the team.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
I'm not saying he's talking about the coach, Freud. I'm saying that as a head coach, I would be ashamed to face my team. You're the captain of the ship and accountable for all members on-board. I'd be extremely embarrassed knowing there is so much turmoil amongst the team.
I agree. It is Sacco's job to keep control of the locker room. It is obvious that he has lost it.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

It is pretty funny that Pierre Maguire said just yesterday that it wasn't a coaching problem. It clearly is Pierre.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
JoemAvs

Am I the only one who believes that Sacco lost the locker room over 2 years ago?
How can any coach go on that kind kind of losing strak and not have lost the locker room?
They looked better last year but the big theme there was our unbelievable bottom 6 (Winnik, McClement, even Galiardi) and Varly being pretty solid at the end.
I don't really blame Sacco for it. He had success early on (thanks to Anderson) and he got exposed in 2010/2011. It happens.
No big deal. But Sherman and Lacroix completely missed the boat on him. He is not a NHL coach. Never really was.
But the idiots who continue to employ the fool are more to blame than the fool himself. He is in over his head. And maybe he even knows it. And his facial expression gets worse every game.
I hope he knows that he is getting canned.
They have to have included an out in his contract extension.
Otherwise a terrible move becomes even worse.

Closed Thread