HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eugene Melnyk says he'll prove Cooke on Karlsson was intentional

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

vCash: 50
What an embarrassment...

Old
03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
montador

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
This is borderline ridiculous. If this was someone like say, Phil Kessel who did this would this so called investigation be happening? Not likely. But because it was Matt Cooke he automatically loses the benefit of the doubt.

C'mon, Cooke might be dirty but there's no way he goes in there hoping/aiming to slice Karlsson's leg...
of course Cooke loses the benefit of the doubt. are you serious?

Old
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Why can you not prove intent?

If they can prove that at a 99% confidence interval that the force exerted by a player breaking their fall weighing Matt Cooke's weight, at the angle Matt Cooke came in on, is between X Newtons and Y Newtons and that based on the sharpness of even a freshly sharpened blade, Z Newtons would be needed to sever the average human Achilles tendon in the manner in which Karlsson's was severed, if Y is less than Z, you can effectively provide strong evidence that Cooke exerted more force than a normal human of his size would exert if falling in the same circumstance.
The bolded is where the argument goes off the rails. You'd have to build a strong case with a reasonable sample size that a falling man of roughly Cooke's size would generate that much force. Normally, I'd say nobody cares/has the time to do something like that, but Mr. Melnyk suggests otherwise.

Even then, though, the mere fact that Cooke exerted more force than the average human being would not be proof that he intended to hurt Karlsson, only confirming evidence that he did—which we already know. The key element would be taking that evidence that Cooke exerted more force and showing that nothing else could account for the generation of that force—except the intent to injure. You'd essentially be watching Cooke's movements trying to account for the "proper" application of force and where an innocent Cooke might have gone wrong. As you can probably tell, that's speculative at best. Nobody worth their salt would be willing to put their name on the line as expert testimony, I don't think.

Old
EDDIE20*

Eugene better hope that his forensic investigators can prove this, or else he'll come off as a total a-hole (yet again). Then again, if/when they find nothing, methinks the public will never hear about it.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Why can you not prove intent?

If they can prove that at a 99% confidence interval that the force exerted by a player breaking their fall weighing Matt Cooke's weight, at the angle Matt Cooke came in on, is between X Newtons and Y Newtons and that based on the sharpness of even a freshly sharpened blade, Z Newtons would be needed to sever the average human Achilles tendon in the manner in which Karlsson's was severed, if Y is less than Z, you can effectively provide strong evidence that Cooke exerted more force than a normal human of his size would exert if falling in the same circumstance.

In other words, that he stomped.

Now I'm not saying he did - in fact I don't think he did - but you guys are way off on what you think you know.
Because to prove intent you would have to climb inside his mind....... and as small as that brain may be, you aren't going to be able to do that.... unless you could somehow make him admit he did.

If you think all your X, Y formulas are going to prove anything, you are the one way off on your thinking.

If I drive through a red light into the side of your car, it's my fault...... it will always me my fault you can physically prove that........ but you would never be a able to prove if I didn't see the light or did it intentionally.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
Right now Kaspars Daugavins is probably texting one of his Latvian buddies "Sure am glad I'm out of that nuthouse."
Are you kidding?

Having a game at 7 pm then watching an African cage death match at 11 pm live.

What better combo is there in life than that.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
That in no way, shape, or form proves that he stomped with intent though. All it proves is that his foot accelerated on the way down to the ice. Perhaps he was off balance and quickly stomped his foot down to regain his balance? This study can and will prove nothing. Not unless we can somehow tap into Matt Cooke's thoughts during the incident.
The argument would be that no human would increase their force to that level in that circumstance to break their fall. This testimony would be coming from experts in the field - not you and not me.

Again, this under the assumption that that is what the physics beyond the incident suggest, maybe they don't suggest that at all: that's what he's going to find out by the research.

I fail to see how there's anything wrong with that. Great owner if you ask me.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

noted physician Dr. Recchi is going to be testifying at the trial as an expert witness as certified by Andy Sutton.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:37 PM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
Yeah no. This method at best proves that this kind of play happens very often or not very often. Nothing more and nothing less.
That would be true only if you did a blind statistical study of similar plays. Obviously the kind of study I was talking about would also involve detailed studies of the mechanics involved in the plays. You would have probabilities accumulating on different tracks of the investigation, and if you had anomalies on this specific play across the board in comparison with a large number of comparable plays, it would be a convincing demonstration of intent. I am not saying that is the inevitable conclusion of such study, but I would be interested to know how much of an outlier Cooke's play really was and on what counts.

Old
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Because to prove intent you would have to climb inside his mind....... and as small as that brain may be, you aren't going to be able to do that.... unless you could somehow make him admit he did.

If you think all your X, Y formulas are going to prove anything, you are the one way off on your thinking.

If I drive through a red light into the side of your car, it's my fault...... it will always me my fault you can physically prove that........ but you would never be a able to prove if I didn't see the light or did it intentionally.
Is Eugene gonna have Cooke pass a psychological / psychiatric examination?

Something tells me the Pens organization must be having a good laugh right about now.

Old
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

Quote:

So you're saying you're an expert?

Old
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Sotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Eugene better hope that his forensic investigators can prove this, or else he'll come off as a total a-hole (yet again). Then again, if/when they find nothing, methinks the public will never hear about it.
Of course they will prove this. They will prove whatever he wants as long as he pays them.

Old
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by montador View Post
of course Cooke loses the benefit of the doubt. are you serious?
Of course I'm serious. You really think that this incident deserves a forensic investigation, simply because Matt Cooke was involved? Really?

Old
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
noted physician Dr. Recchi is going to be testifying at the trial as an expert witness as certified by Andy Sutton.
Dr. Pronger is also penciled in for a physics lecture.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
BigEezyE22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Seems like he's comfortable in that state.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
Of course they will prove this. They will prove whatever he wants as long as he pays them.
Yeah and it's amazing what you can pay some expert to write.

Old
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
The argument would be that no human would increase their force to that level in that circumstance to break their fall. This testimony would be coming from experts in the field - not you and not me.

Again, this under the assumption that that is what the physics beyond the incident suggest, maybe they don't suggest that at all: that's what he's going to find out by the research.

I fail to see how there's anything wrong with that. Great owner if you ask me.
How would you intend to prove that no human would? You could only prove that no human did.

Old
HockeySens

Im a sens fan but AHAHAHA LOOOL melnky you idiot

thts all

Old
inthewings

As an Ottawa fan: Eugene Melnyk is consistently embarrassing and needs to learn to write the cheques without flapping his gums.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:41 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
So you're saying you're an expert?
(sigh)

Are you asking him or are you telling him?

Old
03-27-2013, 07:42 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
How is that embassing ?
It's embarrassing because he used the term "forensic study", and the owner of the Sens is acting like an irrational 12 year old child.

Old
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
The bolded is where the argument goes off the rails. You'd have to build a strong case with a reasonable sample size that a falling man of roughly Cooke's size would generate that much force. Normally, I'd say nobody cares/has the time to do something like that, but Mr. Melnyk suggests otherwise.

Even then, though, the mere fact that Cooke exerted more force than the average human being would not be proof that he intended to hurt Karlsson, only confirming evidence that he did—which we already know. The key element would be taking that evidence that Cooke exerted more force and showing that nothing else could account for the generation of that force—except the intent to injure. You'd essentially be watching Cooke's movements trying to account for the "proper" application of force and where an innocent Cooke might have gone wrong. As you can probably tell, that's speculative at best. Nobody worth their salt would be willing to put their name on the line as expert testimony, I don't think.
You're spot on and I agree with everything up to here. If there is strong enough evidence to suggest that Cooke did it intentionally (ie. very strong evidence) I believe there would be plenty of unbiased experts willing to testify that they believe he did it intentionally.

As I have already said, the use of the word "prove" is incorrect, but honestly people misuse that word all the time. You really can't "prove" much other than in scientific experiments.

Old
Moore Money

Melnyk might be on to something or maybe he's just on something.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
What are they going to do, what is he doing wrong? Hey here's an idea, lets punish the Leafs for not making the playoffs for 7 years, and being the laughing stock of the league!
WTF do the Leafs have to do with anything? If you want to ***** about something, start with going off on your crackpot owner.

One thing though - if Eugene's dogs intend to interview Matt Cooke in any form, he can legally tell them to F-O. There were no criminal charges laid on Matt Cooke or the Penguins organization.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Sureves

Quote:

Entirely different situation in your comparison.

Closed Thread