HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TDL Acquisition Thread | Part V: All Your Captains Are Belong To Us

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 02:05 PM
66-29-33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
YOu think we will go after a c/w and use him at center, then when Sid gets back move him to wing? Burmistrov comes to mind since he can play both C and W, hes also young so he isnt considered a rental.

But i guess we wont see something like that, i bet we just use Jeffrey (who should have been traded a long time ago).
Ott can play C and wing and is a pretty good faceoff guy.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:07 PM
sniugneP

Jeffrey won't be traded due to Sid's injury.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Fire Shero*

He said it was a really short walk from consol so I'm guessin the Marriott or Cambria Suites.

Maybe he's balling on a budget and staying at the holiday inn on the south side and walks across the 10th street bridge through the Armstrong tunnels.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:35 PM
leafspensfan

Trade Orpik...

Old
03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Trade Orpik...
The best time would be at the deadline..teams may be willing to offer a first...I doubt shero is even thinking about it though

Old
03-31-2013, 05:03 PM
redsono93

With Sid out for awhile why rush him let him heal up for the playoffs. What about a trade for Brassard? He can play center/wing.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Malkinstheman

We dont have space on the roster(Not number of players wise, but just in the yop-9)plus we dont have many assets either. Id be willing to move guys like maata/poliout in deals for stewart etc.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:36 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
He said it was a really short walk from consol so I'm guessin the Marriott or Cambria Suites.

Maybe he's balling on a budget and staying at the holiday inn on the south side and walks across the 10th street bridge through the Armstrong tunnels.
I'm sure he's at the Marriott. All the new guys stay there. Hossa and his sexy ass woman were seen there frequently

Old
03-31-2013, 07:03 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
We dont have space on the roster(Not number of players wise, but just in the yop-9)plus we dont have many assets either. Id be willing to move guys like maata/poliout in deals for stewart etc.
The acquisition of someone like Stewart worries me (so up and down), but I too would be willing to move some prospects for him. He's young and we could lock him up for 5 (give or take) years, so moving a young d or two for him wouldn't bother me (especially after giving nothing for Iginla).

I doubt we go big again, but if we do a young 20 some power forward is good with me.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
The acquisition of someone like Stewart worries me (so up and down), but I too would be willing to move some prospects for him. He's young and we could lock him up for 5 (give or take) years, so moving a young d or two for him wouldn't bother me (especially after giving nothing for Iginla).

I doubt we go big again, but if we do a young 20 some power forward is good with me.
It all depends on iginla staying. Next season we are manageable cap-wise the the season after it is trouble because of (If they stay) letangs raise kicking in, potentially malkin and kunitz getting one as well. The cap is also supposed to increase that season. If it could increase by even 1-2 million it would be great

Old
03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post

It's not going to happen. We've already traded a lot of good assets (Joe Morrow, 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and Agostino who was one of our better forward prospects). We got our guy in Jarome Iginla, and Kunitz and Dupuis have shown they're both legit top-6 forwards. I see us trying to re-sign Jarome long before we start trading additional assets to acquire someone who's probably not even as good as a 36 year-old Iginla will be next year.

Iginla is on the back-9 of his career, and he has chosen to be with the Penguins. He is more likely to re-sign at a favourable salary than even a guy like Stewart could be on a long-term deal. He's a tremendous player who's got a lot left in the tank, is very consistent, and his character & work ethic are never in question. I'd look to sign him for 3 or perhaps even 4 years at a favourable cap-hit. Do the same with Kunitz and Dupuis, and hopefully Cooke, and we're set for the next 3-4 years with those guys, Sid, Neal, Bennett, and Malkin + Letang if we extend them (and all indications are that we will).

As far as moving out any more assets/prospects: no thanks. I can live comfortably with what we've given up, but I'd start to feel very uncomfortable if we started unloading any more top prospects. We're right at the edge of that comfort zone and there's no reason to extend ourselves past that. I don't see us making any more moves as buyers, and expect us to start selling a bit after the season ends.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:58 PM
redsono93

How about Luke Adams from Buffalo? When I have seen him play looked pretty good. Better option at center then Jeffery till Sid gets back. Can't see Buffalo asking a lot for him.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:39 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
How about Luke Adams from Buffalo? When I have seen him play looked pretty good. Better option at center then Jeffery till Sid gets back. Can't see Buffalo asking a lot for him.
I've actually been a Luke Adam fan since before he was drafted, so I like this player (though don't know WHAT happened to him that he's fallen so far), but I cannot understand how you can think he is a better option than Jeffrey. Jeffrey, at the very least, is a far superior two-way player than Adam, and Adam isn't even close to being as dominant at the AHL level offensively than Jeffrey. I can only interpret this as you thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

Crosby will be out for 3-4 weeks. We've seen what our team has done when we had one of Malkin/Crosby out, and that was before we had Iginla, Morrow, and Dupuis + Kunitz playing at the top of their careers. Jeffrey is a quality player and more than capable of stepping in and filling a 2nd or 3rd line role for a few weeks to a month. Jeffrey was just starting to come on before Geno came back, and he'll be ready to seize this opportunity. There's no need, nor would it be smart nor necessary, to trade any assets for a short-term fix when we still have arguably the best team in the NHL even without Crosby and a playoff spot all but locked up. Chill.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Honour Over Glory

The only move I think Ray should make now is to call up Beau with a spot open thanks to a few guys on the IR, etc.

When healthy, and it likely will be a few weeks, the team is fine.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Malkinstheman

I really just want shero to get rid of kennedy if he fetchs a 3rd-4th round pick then thats good enough. At this point he is just taking up a valuable roster spot. The only way him staying okay is if dupuis takes his spot, bumping him to the 4th line, bumping glass out.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:34 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
I really just want shero to get rid of kennedy if he fetchs a 3rd-4th round pick then thats good enough. At this point he is just taking up a valuable roster spot. The only way him staying okay is if dupuis takes his spot, bumping him to the 4th line, bumping glass out.

Kennedy is not the problem, especially with the way he is playing lately. Having him bumped down to the 4th line (in place of Glass) along side Adams and Vitale would be an awesome 4th line come playoff time.

We will be able to get a 3rd/4th for him at the draft. I thought that we may trade him sooner if we could get a higher pick (i.e. 2nd/3rd range), but we may just keep him now that Crosby got injured. It really does not affect the long-term plan in any significant way, and if TK stays with us past the deadline, there will be times when we appreciate his contributions in the playoffs (injuries, extended overtime games, etc.)

Old
04-01-2013, 01:00 AM
SarahCrash

Ryan Whitney. Was he joking?

Unbelievable. I live in Edmonton right now and was listening to a hockey program on the local am radio station 630CHED. They were interviewing Ryan Whitney and he said that he will go to the Penguins if traded... I thought it must have been a joke, but looking at the injuries on our blueline, I am HOPING it is a joke.

for what it's worth, Whitney is a weirdo...

Old
04-01-2013, 01:10 AM
madinsomniac

Its April Fools day... believe nothing today. I had severe issues with the trade deadline being so damn close to this date when they announced it... I may jus not log in to any sites today... I hope the Mods are well rested :/

Old
04-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Maybe he's just joking about how everybody seems to be getting traded to Pittsburgh this deadline (Iggy, Morrow, Murray). I don't want him back but I suppose anything is possible, especially with Martin out for 4-6 weeks. Pens may want to acquire even more veteran insurance on D because of that.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

I hope he comes back to Pittsburgh since Martin is out a few weeks.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post
I hope he comes back to Pittsburgh since Martin is out a few weeks.
Nice, you got me, you funny guy you.

Oh you.

Anyways, I think Bortuzzo has a chance of playing again whenever he's back from his conditioning assignment.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
I almost hate merging this with the trade thread just because I wanted to say 'Ryan Whitney has as much to give to this team as this thread does.'

Then close it.

*Drops mic and walks off*

(I hate Ryan Whitney)

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 04-01-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old
04-01-2013, 06:32 AM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I've actually been a Luke Adam fan since before he was drafted, so I like this player (though don't know WHAT happened to him that he's fallen so far), but I cannot understand how you can think he is a better option than Jeffrey. Jeffrey, at the very least, is a far superior two-way player than Adam, and Adam isn't even close to being as dominant at the AHL level offensively than Jeffrey. I can only interpret this as you thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

Crosby will be out for 3-4 weeks. We've seen what our team has done when we had one of Malkin/Crosby out, and that was before we had Iginla, Morrow, and Dupuis + Kunitz playing at the top of their careers. Jeffrey is a quality player and more than capable of stepping in and filling a 2nd or 3rd line role for a few weeks to a month. Jeffrey was just starting to come on before Geno came back, and he'll be ready to seize this opportunity. There's no need, nor would it be smart nor necessary, to trade any assets for a short-term fix when we still have arguably the best team in the NHL even without Crosby and a playoff spot all but locked up. Chill.
Maybe Adam could be signed as a depth player then. He's still young only 22 yrs old. I love Jeffery's game I'm just trying to think of options at center till Crosby comes back.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Please stay away from Whitney Ray, you sent him away and it was one of the best things you ever did for this franchise

Old
04-01-2013, 09:40 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Anyways, I think Bortuzzo has a chance of playing again whenever he's back from his conditioning assignment.
Yeah, between Bortuzzo, Engelland, Despres and Eaton, I'm pretty sure we'll be fine with Martin gone for 4 to 6 weeks. That's why we made the trades we did. The absence of Martin (and to a lesser extent, Sid) will be made up for somewhat by having guys like Jarome and Morrow, whom we can use on the 1st or 2nd PP units. We'll be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Maybe Adam could be signed as a depth player then. He's still young only 22 yrs old. I love Jeffery's game I'm just trying to think of options at center till Crosby comes back.

He cannot be "signed" because he's another team's RFA. He's too young & valuable still at this point to be traded for scraps or not qualified. Forget about it. We have a better player right now in Jeffrey. Adam wouldn't crack our top-9. If he can't make a piss-poor Buffalo team, he ain't making ours right now either. And Adam is probably better as a winger anyway, which is the only negative thing you could say about Jeffrey at this point, if anything. Adam played wing on the WJCs and for much of junior.

Closed Thread