HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LIX

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
Just went over to the Caps board and read through their trade deadline thread.

Hilarious. Moving Forsberg for Erat is the type of move that can haunt a franchise for the next decade.

I can't even imagine what the reaction here would be if Gillis made a move like that.
Put Raymond on the 1st line for his whole career and he probably fetches Filip Forsberg today. Erat is the worst possible player to overpay that much for.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:23 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
didn't we do that with hodgson/Kassasin swap
I don't see any comparisons to the Erat/Forsberg trade and the Kassian/Hodgson trade.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:23 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
didn't we do that with hodgson/Kassasin swap
Not really. Even if you don't like the trade, at least Hodgson was moved for another young first round pick with considerable upside.

The Caps just traded their 11th overall pick from a couple of seasons ago for an aging 2nd line winger who averages around 50 points per season. He also makes 4.5 million per.

It would be like if the Canucks traded Hodgson for Booth.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:26 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Put Raymond on the 1st line for his whole career and he probably fetches Filip Forsberg today. Erat is the worst possible player to overpay that much for.
I can only imagine what David Poile was thinking when he heard that offer. I doubt he had to think about it for too long

Old
04-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Tiranis

The only hope for the Caps is that Latta becomes something good (or even decent, really) but that's a tall order for a guy who to me has looked like an AHL/NHL tweener any time I've seen him.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Waveburner

OK, so I defended Yzerman awhile ago on the Lindback trade, saying every GM makes a foolish trade or two eventually. But seriously, less than 12 months later he goes and makes the exact same mistake? Giving up good value for a giant backup goalie? Someone else needs to be in charge of acquiring goalies in Tampa Bay or Yzerman has to go, because that's just insane.

Conacher has an outside chance at being a first line scorer down the road. Bishop is dime a dozen, only famous for being the tallest goalie. Yzerman has wasted good assets and still hasn't solved the goalie situation.

He's not as bad as McPhee though. The Caps were my favourite non-Canucks team a couple years ago and McPhee has run them into the ground. Just a horrible value trade, Forsberg is the type of young offensive forward they need. I truly hope McPhee finally loses his job this summer. So tired of watching him destroy that team.

Of course, neither hold a candle to Tambellini. Has he made a single trade of consequence in 4 years as GM? Sit on his hands and smile at the draft. Atta boy Tamblowe.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:36 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

Oilers beating on the Flames 7-2. Taylor Hall with FIVE points.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:37 PM
LiquidSnake*

4-2 sharks

Old
04-03-2013, 11:38 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

Make that 8-2 Oil.

Yakupov 2 Goals
Eberle 2 Goals
Hall 5 points
RNH 4 points

Good night for the kids.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Oilers beating on the Flames 7-2. Taylor Hall with FIVE points.
And people legitimately believed that Eberle was the better and more desirable player in Edmonton. Hall has 41 points in 33 games now. Eberle has 28 in 35. Not to mention that Hall is the one that drives possession and chances for them.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:39 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
well they waste all their energy on the flames so we should destroy them tomorrow.....

Old
04-03-2013, 11:40 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
OK, so I defended Yzerman awhile ago on the Lindback trade, saying every GM makes a foolish trade or two eventually. But seriously, less than 12 months later he goes and makes the exact same mistake? Giving up good value for a giant backup goalie? Someone else needs to be in charge of acquiring goalies in Tampa Bay or Yzerman has to go, because that's just insane.

Conacher has an outside chance at being a first line scorer down the road. Bishop is dime a dozen, only famous for being the tallest goalie. Yzerman has wasted good assets and still hasn't solved the goalie situation.

He's not as bad as McPhee though. The Caps were my favourite non-Canucks team a couple years ago and McPhee has run them into the ground. Just a horrible value trade, Forsberg is the type of young offensive forward they need. I truly hope McPhee finally loses his job this summer. So tired of watching him destroy that team.

Of course, neither hold a candle to Tambellini. Has he made a single trade of consequence in 4 years as GM? Sit on his hands and smile at the draft. Atta boy Tamblowe.
Yzerman love his big goalies. Would be funny if Bishop bombs and he goes out to acquire another backup with potential. Scrivens?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
Yzerman love his big goalies. Would be funny if Bishop bombs and he goes out to acquire another backup with potential. Scrivens?
I don't know, I think given his progression from 6'6" to 6'8" guy, I think next he needs to go find a basketball centre to play net for him. Unless there are some 7'0" goalies I'm not aware of.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:44 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

Quote:
And people legitimately believed that Eberle was the better and more desirable player in Edmonton. Hall has 41 points in 33 games now. Eberle has 28 in 35. Not to mention that Hall is the one that drives possession and chances for them.
Yup, pretty clear Hall is the engine, and to think Eberle is going to be making 6M next season.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:45 PM
LiquidSnake*

Quote:
I don't know, I think given his progression from 6'6" to 6'8" guy, I think next he needs to go find a basketball centre to play net for him. Unless there are some 7'0" goalies I'm not aware of.
He'll try Hedman in net

Old
04-03-2013, 11:47 PM
PuckZilla

vCash: 50
Another nicely refereed game between the Wilds and Sharks. Its so bad, its laughable.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Yup, pretty clear Hall is the engine, and to think Eberle is going to be making 6M next season.
Eberle's contract puts them in a bind for RNH and Yakupov deals. It will now be impossible for them to sign them for any less than $6m as RFAs if they produce a 60-70 point season in their contract year. Same thing for Schultz too. But it also reflects on lower-end RFA guys that they might have in the future.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:50 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

Quote:
Eberle's contract puts them in a bind for RNH and Yakupov deals. It will now be impossible for them to sign them for any less than $6m as RFAs if they produce a 60-70 point season in their contract year. Same thing for Schultz too.
I've always been under the impression they wouldn't be able to keep all of them anyways, but with the Hall/Eberle deals, RNH and Yakupov will want the same, as you mentioned.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
LiquidSnake*

Quote:
I've always been under the impression they wouldn't be able to keep all of them anyways, but with the Hall/Eberle deals, RNH and Yakupov will want the same, as you mentioned.
They better pray the Leafs don't want any of them. They'll be valued at "take em for free"

Old
04-03-2013, 11:57 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
They better pray the Leafs don't want any of them. They'll be valued at "take em for free"
Dreger: Oilers offered RNH, Yakupov for Kostka, Orr, 7th. Nonis said no.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Simply signing 5 guys to $6m deals is not the end of the world, it's really the fact that 3 or 4 of those guys will likely not be worth it (Eberle, Schultz, likely Yakupov and possibly RNH). Then also the fact that they'll be asking for even more when they hit UFA.

I don't know. I just don't get why Tambellini signed Eberle when he did. There was quite literally no chance he would earn more through his play this season.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Simply signing 5 guys to $6m deals is not the end of the world, it's really the fact that 3 or 4 of those guys will likely not be worth it (Eberle, Schultz, likely Yakupov and possibly RNH). Then also the fact that they'll be asking for even more when they hit UFA.

I don't know. I just don't get why Tambellini signed Eberle when he did. There was quite literally no chance he would earn more through his play this season.
he literally thought eberle might be a corey perry level superstar. no joke, i'll put money he thought the current contract was going to be a steal (as it might be for hall)

Old
04-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Orca Smash

Heatly hurt? Surprised he was trying to fight, not surprised hes hurt after.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
The trade proposals from the Canucks.
Dreger twitted that there were 3 proposals from the Nucks...
All rejected by the Leafs.

I honestly don't know how much of it is true though...
When did Dreger ever broke something significant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Exact details of offers right down to the times of phone calls. That makes the Toronto organisation look pretty bush league if true.
I see. Bush league indeed. Is there a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
What trust factor? This isn't the first time the Leafs have tampered with the Canucks/leaked various info. If Gillis still trusts Nonis he's an idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Toronto is a leaky ship when it come sto the Canucks. Dreger has been doing Nonis' dirty work since the day he was fired ("He was fired because he wouldn't trade Edler, Kesler, Schneider, and a 1st for Richards!!!11"). Gillis knew this when he was making Luongo trade offers to them.
Perhaps he won't trust him anymore after this, but before? There was no indication they would be airing everything down to the last detail - from what me2 said above - as a negotiating 'tactic'. One leak in the past doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen repeatedly in future.

The hope was that he'd at least be honourable in dealing with the Canucks. Of course now we know that he's incapable of even that but why should that have stopped MG from trying to do the right thing in talking trade? You're only limiting your options. If they won't cooperate, then no dice - and that's more than fine by us.

It's still pretty bad form nonetheless and it's out there for all to see. But, I wonder what it'll hurt more - us or their reputation around the league? I'm leaning towards the latter...

When the Leafs came calling about Luongo, what if MG had refused to negotiate no matter what, knowing Dreger would start leaking info as soon as things did not go as Toronto wanted? What do you think the media angle would have been then? Oh, maybe "Now he's refusing to do what's best for all parties involved and let Luongo move on, Leafs offered a more than fair return, yadda yadda". Don't underestimate their ability to twist and warp things to suit the home team the way they want... If you're going to let the media influence your decisions you're going to be put in a bad spot pretty quick. It's why Gillis ripped them the way he did.

Still, you should expect the other party to have at least a little integrity. Is it so wrong to do so? Otherwise Nonis is going to find that teams won't be so willing to deal with him if he's going to pull this s*** on them every time something doesn't go his way.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I see. Bush league indeed. Is there a link?

Perhaps he won't trust him anymore after this, but before? There was no indication they would be airing everything down to the last detail - from what me2 said above - as a negotiating 'tactic'. One leak in the past doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen repeatedly in future.

The hope was that he'd at least be honourable in dealing with the Canucks. Of course now we know that he's incapable of even that but why should that have stopped MG from trying to do the right thing in talking trade? You're only limiting your options. If they won't cooperate, then no dice - and that's more than fine by us.

It's still pretty bad form nonetheless and it's out there for all to see. But, I wonder what it'll hurt more - us or their reputation around the league? I'm leaning towards the latter...

When the Leafs came calling about Luongo, what if MG had refused to negotiate no matter what, knowing Dreger would start leaking info as soon as things did not go as Toronto wanted? What do you think the media angle would have been then? Oh, maybe "Now he's refusing to do what's best for all parties involved and let Luongo move on, Leafs offered a more than fair return, yadda yadda". Don't underestimate their ability to twist and warp things to suit the home team the way they want... If you're going to let the media influence your decisions you're going to be put in a bad spot pretty quick. It's why Gillis ripped them the way he did.

Still, you should expect the other party to have at least a little integrity. Is it so wrong to do so? Otherwise Nonis is going to find that teams won't be so willing to deal with him if he's going to pull this s*** on them every time something doesn't go his way.
Hopefully this ruins Dreger's and Nonis' rep around the league. What a bunch of ***es.

Closed Thread