HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The right time for a Coyotes rant

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 06:16 AM
eye

vCash: 500
The right time for a Coyotes rant

All summer long we have read mostly positive posts about acquiring this player and that player, building our team through prospects, our forward depth, a young but experienced NHL veteran defense corps, depth in net, great new uniforms, great new arena etc. etc. etc.

Does anyone besides myself find it odd that almost every other team in the NHL have prospects standing out, getting a lot of ink and producing a lot of points in their respective training camps and exhibition games. Supposedly, we are now loaded with prospects and yet none of them including an experienced Jeff Taffe have put up any numbers or are getting any press. I believe Jeff had 1 goal in 4 rookie games. All due respect to Gelech who had a good tourney. None of our D prospects have produced, I think Spiller got a goal that bounced in off the glass into an empty net the other night but that's been it. There are several teams showcasing 18 and 19 year olds in their camps and many of them are scoring on a regular basis. I know, we didn't have a 1st rounder this year.

How many Dave Draper draft picks are on this roster which IMO is and has been set in ink for some time now regardless of training camp performance? We could have picked this team without an exhibition schedule.

Even though we now have our own minor league affiliate and it appears much deeper I still have this feeling that MB and BF prefer to build this team by buying a team through free agency and by using a veteran free agency lineup just like the Leafs and Rangers. Even the Leafs are finally changing their ways with the arrival of their new GM. Maybe it's the result of the agent influence with MB always looking to get his players signed each year. Maybe he thinks he is still working on commission!

We give up Teppo and sign a half dozen fringe players which again IMO is like rolling the dice hoping that one or more of these players can turn their carreers around. I would have preferred to keep Teppo that being the case. Unless the CBA attains cost certainty as Gary Bettman calls it most of our prospects will develop in Springfield and end up benefitting some other team down the road as this team has no openings for youngsters that may cost them a game or two while they learn their trade.

BF is coaching for today and to keep his job. He or another coach needs job security and a long term contract so that he can coach with long term goals in mind and not just to keep his job. I still have to wonder if there is a long term plan.

That's my rant. It's not meant to take away from the many positive things that have transpired in the last few months but I felt they needed to be brought up for discussion.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:55 AM
Dancing Chicken

To be honest Eye, I belive Mike would of loved to have kept Teppo. It was Teppo who stated it was time for a change. I am impressed with the team that the Yotes have dresses both Yotes and Springfield. For the first time we can say we have a foundation as for that troll of a coach Booby.. It would make my day to see him leave..

Old
09-24-2003, 07:05 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Chicken
To be honest Eye, I belive Mike would of loved to have kept Teppo. It was Teppo who stated it was time for a change. I am impressed with the team that the Yotes have dresses both Yotes and Springfield. For the first time we can say we have a foundation as for that troll of a coach Booby.. It would make my day to see him leave..
The Teppo thing is another rant for me. This nonsense about veteran players wanting to finish their carreers with a Stanley Cup contender has to stop. It's bad for the league and it's bad for loyal fans of all teams that would like to see their team improve enough to compete for the Cup. It's time that players and their agents stop trying to run the league. That's another reason why I hate it when teams retire the jersey numbers for players who ask to be traded. How ironic is that. They want out, they don't want to play for a certain team or for their fans any longer but we will honor you for it by retiring your jersey number. The only players I can think of that deserve that honor today are Yzerman, Lemeiux and Forsberg.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:43 AM
PhoPhan

When I clicked this thread, I expected to read a bunch of negative stuff that could be easily refuted or is based only on opinion. However, you raise many good points, especially the one about coaching.

Just about every poster here is either against or indifferent towards Francis, so naturally he has to do something big. He won't be able to. He is not the answer. This team needs a new, young coach.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:01 AM
The Viking

Coach of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
When I clicked this thread, I expected to read a bunch of negative stuff that could be easily refuted or is based only on opinion. However, you raise many good points, especially the one about coaching.

Just about every poster here is either against or indifferent towards Francis, so naturally he has to do something big. He won't be able to. He is not the answer. This team needs a new, young coach.
Invariably when a team is going through a tough stretch (as the Coyotes will this season) the coach lasts for most of the year and is then uncerimoniously dumped.

We all know the shelf life of an NHL coach isn't much over 4 years in most cases ( average would be less I would guess) so it won't be a big surprise when BF is let go at some point this year.

It probably won't be too early because you don't want to poison the new coach and his approach/philosophy with a bunch of losses. BF will stick around long enough to "take one for the team" by logging many of the tough nights the Yotes will face this year.

Hopefully the team will be ready to rise from the ashes when the next hockey season rolls around and a fresh approach with a new coach will allow everyone to start with a clean slate.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:07 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
He is the winningest coach in franchise history.
Im sorry, but with this franchise, thats not a medal.

Hopefully they can find a great coach to replace him, Im thinking around december if the team is .500 hes gone.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You've got to be kidding. If this team is .500 in December Francis gets a contract extension.

This frachise has been in the NHL since 1979. To be the winningest coach in franchise history is something to be proud of regardless of the organization.
Agreed. The team would have to be near the bottom of the standings, proving all the critics right, for Francis to be canned.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Master T

Send a message via AIM to Master T Send a message via Yahoo to Master T
Personally, I like Francis. The only thing I would like to see is a more structured system; which it sounds like he is implementing now that the team is "built". I think this year the Coyotes are gonna shock a lot of the teams, critics, and even the fans with their style of play. I think the playoff teams last year showed that you can trap, and it isn't boring. I think the Coyotes will try to move in that direction and play more of a 5-man system instead of this man-to-man crap that got them killed last year.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:21 PM
ulf

i don't know if booby is a bad coach or not. what i see from last year was he was given very little to work with[lack of centres and the worst injury bug in history]

the year before he held a distracted franchise together on the ice for one of the best years in franchise history.

is there a better coach out there...yes.
is there a lot of worse choices, i think so.
will he take the blame for this team...probably.
this year he's been given 12-15 very capable fwds.one goalie that's a sure thing and a d that's half as good as last year[shudder].

if this team fails it won't be his fault alone,and his replacement will of course need a couple years to right the ship.and the downward spiral will continue.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:05 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
You've got to be kidding. If this team is .500 in December Francis gets a contract extension.
.500 from a team that is perennial crap doesnt put the fans in the stands regardless of a new look and arena.

.500 is NOTHING to be proud of. Thats just one aspect I cant stand about hockey, a team thats sub 500 and its acceptable to the fans. "Oh but were rebuilding" Oh thats a bunch of ********, with the payroll they have they can assemble a playoff team.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
.500 from a team that is perennial crap doesnt put the fans in the stands regardless of a new look and arena.
Good point. Real fans are there regardless of the teams record, their look, their arena, & their 'star power'.

Quote:
.500 is NOTHING to be proud of. Thats just one aspect I cant stand about hockey, a team thats sub 500 and its acceptable to the fans. "Oh but were rebuilding" Oh thats a bunch of ********, with the payroll they have they can assemble a playoff team.
To tell you the truth, I don't give a rat's ass what their record is as long as A) the players are putting forth a quality effort (debateable last year, but you have to take injuries - specifically Burke's because of his ability to get his teammates to play hard - into account), and B) the management/ownership team has a vision (If you prefer the Bobby Smith band-aid days you must be a moron & if you can't see that we now have a vision/future you are also a moron). Not specifically calling you a moron XX, but all who can't fathom the idea of going thru some rough times in order to pave the way for a bright future.

I don't want to 'assemble' a playoff team season by season. I want to 'assemble' a franchise which within the next 3-4 years will be an elite franchise like today's Avalanche, Redwings, Senators, etc.

I don't like the perennial crap comment though. This has been a franchise which for the last 15 years has had to deal with perennial financial issues and some TERRIBLE decisions by the previous ownership/management group. Call that an excuse if you want, but IMO it's a better assessment than blaming the 'team'. I think the last 2 ownership groups are more representative of perennial crap than the team is. Thank goodness for the new ownership group. I think you also have to consider that Winnipeg played in arguably the toughest division/conference in their last 5-6 years & the Coyotes have also played in arguably the toughest division & definitely conference.

I'd prefer to call this thread "the right time for Coyote patience"

Old
09-24-2003, 05:18 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaful
Good point. Real fans are there regardless of the teams record, their look, their arena, & their 'star power'.

Not specifically calling you a moron XX, but all who can't fathom the idea of going thru some rough times in order to pave the way for a bright future.
Phoenix doesnt have the opportunity to have "real fans" yet. Its still a young team, and to sell out games you need to win. Diamondbacks are a good example, I bet attendance is going to suck royally next season.

I grasp the idea of rebuilding and going through rough times, but Barnett and co are just doing it half assed. Signing fringe players, drafting and making some wierd trades. We never lost all of the dead weight, and its killing us right now.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Phoenix doesnt have the opportunity to have "real fans" yet. Its still a young team, and to sell out games you need to win. Diamondbacks are a good example, I bet attendance is going to suck royally next season.

I grasp the idea of rebuilding and going through rough times, but Barnett and co are just doing it half assed. Signing fringe players, drafting and making some wierd trades. We never lost all of the dead weight, and its killing us right now.
They sure do have the opportunity for real fans, I know of at least one. I don't see any correlation with real fans & selling out games? Just the opposite for me. If anything this year will truly show who the real fans are. I'm not just talking about those who go to the games, but also those who watch & listen to the games as well.

half assed my ass. Barnett & Co are doing what we should have done 5 years ago. You don't get rid of players like Tkachuk, Roenick, Khabibulin, Numminen, etc if you are half-assing it. We have posts here about logjams at forward & logjams at defense (surprised no one started a logjam at goalie post). On top of that we have people complaining because we don't have room for young players like Taffe & a few others.

Prior to the new ownership we never had logjams of anything except for the logjam in Bobby Smith's brain.

I think I'm wasting my time.

peace~!

Closed Thread