HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you want to see Ryane Clowe traded?

View Poll Results: Well do ya, punk?
Yes, for anything 30 17.44%
Yes but only for a great deal (1st, 2nd, prospect) 97 56.40%
Yes but only for another roster player 10 5.81%
No, keep him for the playoff run 11 6.40%
No, re-sign him 24 13.95%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 04:59 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
IMO that a terrible return. DW is reportedly letting teams discuss a contract extension with Clowe. A signed Clowe should be worth a low first and high-end prospect, or a mid-to-high first and good prospect. Add in Demers (top-4 puck moving D) or Braun (4-5 2-way D), who are both on great contracts AND a 2nd and you better be getting a whole hell of a lot more than a 1st and top-prospect. Unless that prospect is of insanely high-value (like top-3 overall range who is killing it).

And this is from someone well known for being a fan of prospects.
Demers, right now, is not a top-4 puck-moving D. Braun is on a great contract; Demers is up this year.

My preference would be to keep Demers and Braun. If one has to be traded, trade Braun.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:03 PM
KirbyDots

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...clowe-could-be

Sounds to me like Clowe and maybe someone else(Zeus hopefully) are gone if we can get a halfway decent return and we might bundle some of the acquired picks we get to add a young winger. Just my opinion/ wishful thinking.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
"Are we going to give up first- or second-round picks in a draft that's viewed as very strong? The answer is no. This is the time that we're going to replenish in a very strong draft year.

Wilson also emphatically stated he was not in the market for a veteran rental player.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:12 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Hopefully this gets resolved and quickly...I hate the suspense that leads up to these deals. Either trade him or keep him please (preferably trade him xD). Go Sharks Go.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:13 PM
domon

What was in that Clowe to Boston thread that was in the trade forum a few minutes ago?

Old
03-31-2013, 11:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by domon View Post
What was in that Clowe to Boston thread that was in the trade forum a few minutes ago?
An April Fool's Day joke.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:17 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
"But," he added, "if there's younger players that can fit into what we're trying to do and how we're trying to play, I have no problem acquiring that maybe in lieu of a pick."

Could still throw in a pick with Clowe for a younger player like Eller or Hagelin.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...clowe-could-be

Sounds to me like Clowe and maybe someone else(Zeus hopefully) are gone if we can get a halfway decent return and we might bundle some of the acquired picks we get to add a young winger. Just my opinion/ wishful thinking.
DW valuing draft picks over win now 2 month rental players? About time.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
"But," he added, "if there's younger players that can fit into what we're trying to do and how we're trying to play, I have no problem acquiring that maybe in lieu of a pick."

Could still throw in a pick with Clowe for a younger player like Eller or Hagelin.
That's not a problem though. An already young player that is ready to contribute right now is better than a prospect who might or might not pan out.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:21 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post

This, I'm thinking he adds a younger winger. Someone who plats a faster more shoot first game. As some people have pointed out, who fills Clowe's spot? Team is looking much better now, think we are buyers and sellers at this point. Get a few high picks and bundle some to add a forward that better fits our needs.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:27 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
That's not a problem though. An already young player that is ready to contribute right now is better than a prospect who might or might not pan out.
Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like I had a problem with it. I wouldn't mind it at all actually.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

This reminds me of how the Sharks got a second first rounder in the 2003 draft, also viewed as very strong. Obviously this one isn't nearly 2003 caliber, but the parallel is interesting. Better not **** up with a Bernier again.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Bowie22
In DW we trust

Quote:
haha, well done.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
This reminds me of how the Sharks got a second first rounder in the 2003 draft, also viewed as very strong. Obviously this one isn't nearly 2003 caliber, but the parallel is interesting. Better not **** up with a Bernier again.
You can change your whole franchise with a draft like that. The ducks did

Old
03-31-2013, 11:57 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Yeah, that stunk. Everyone thought the Sharks traded up for Parise. The Sharks could've had Suter and Parise. Kind of funny when you think about it now.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:01 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Yeah, that stunk. Everyone thought the Sharks traded up for Parise. The Sharks could've had Suter and Parise. Kind of funny when you think about it now.
I'd have settled for Michalek and Parise. Man, what if.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:02 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
I don't consider Bernier a failure of scouting and management so much as it being Berniers own fault. He looked great when he came up and in the playoffs but he never committed to working out and being in NHL shape. That line with him marleau and Michalek was one of my favorite sharks lines ever until Michalek got KOd by that cheap ******* Torres.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:21 AM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
I'd have settled for Michalek and Parise. Man, what if.
That had to have been one of the worst drafts in Sharks history, if you really put it into perspective of what could have been a serious franchise changer.

6th overall-Michalek-Sharks need was LW and he was the most NHL ready player

16th Steve Bernier- Well, Parise (17th).

Here is where it gets ugly...

43rd: Josh Hennessy- The next center drafted after him at 45th, Patrice Bergeron.

47th: Matt Carle- The next defenseman drafted at 49th, Shea Weber.

Stockpile those 2nd rounders Dougie!!

Old
04-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
An April Fool's Day joke.
**** .. forgot all about that.

Tomorrow is going to be a long ass day.

04-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumpInTheCorner View Post
That had to have been one of the worst drafts in Sharks history, if you really put it into perspective of what could have been a serious franchise changer.

43rd: Josh Hennessy- The next center drafted after him at 45th, Patrice Bergeron.

Granted there were some mistakes made by the Sharks in that draft, but it doesn't compare to the Islanders draft that year. The only player they drafted who is still in the NHL is Bruno Gervais. Ouch. The Rangers are definitely the winners though, Corey Potter is their only NHLer left from that draft. Hugh Jessiman, their 1st round pick, has played 2 nhl games, none of them with the Rangers.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:35 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:

Michalek vs. Suter is, really, a wash. Suter is overrated, and Michalek had those unexpected injuries. It was only about 2 years ago that Suter began to pull away; unlikely that the Sharks retain him post-2012; not too sure I'd want that contract on the books anyways. Never trust a defenseman with so few goals, in any case...Michalek not reaching his potential was more bad luck; I wouldn't put it on the developmental staff, and I reckon the scouting staff properly nailed his potential. DW also got solid value for Michalek....

Bernier was a bad pick. At that point, SJ had no business swinging for the fences. Power forwards rarely pan out. Lazy power forwards? Practically never. When the Sharks picked Kaspar a year later, I could kind of accept it because the Sharks had a prospects coming out of their ass and could afford to take a swing...I guess the fact that the Sharks had 4 picks in the top-60 + Morris and Goc were looking really good somewhat justifies the Bernier pick. I will admit that I was excited by the pick at the time. One could argue that the Sharks never handled Bernier properly, but IMO, like with Setoguchi, the player wasn't willing to put in the work, and that is a scouting issue. It doesn't help that DW clearly sold low on Bernier.

Hennessey was probably more mismanagement than anything. Remember, this was a player who was touted as having Sakic's shot by Patrick Roy...he had a lethal shot, good hands, good wheels, and was responsible defensively. Not too sure if I should blame SJ or Ottawa...at least DW got value for him in the Mark Bell trade.

Matt Carle was a great pick that I will always defend; his development was botched.. Shea Weber, like Suter, is a heavily overrated player; he gets points because the offense HAS to go through him. Defensively, Weber is overrated (compared to Suter, who at least is very good defensively). Weber was heavily on the Sharks's radar at the time, but Carle's hockey sense brought SJ on board. I can't argue with a 42-point rookie season, but Carle could have used some Worcester seasoning. He never really improved on his skating like he needed to, and he never learned to blend the offense with the defense. Like so many Shark-developed defensemen, he lost his offense as he improved with defense, and he is to this day prone to some stupid blunders in the defensive zone. Still, the guy was an absolutely phenomenal playmaker who tore through all the expectations in college. The Norris talk about him was well-merited. At the very least, SJ got great return for him. I wouldn't take him for free right now...

Old
04-01-2013, 12:36 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

We got Pavelski from '03, he was probably our best pick in that draft. Funny how that stuff works. :/

Old
04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
param

Quote:

Old
04-01-2013, 12:41 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:

1991 is where we f-ed up.

Falloon over Niedermayer.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:09 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
I don't consider Bernier a failure of scouting and management so much as it being Berniers own fault. He looked great when he came up and in the playoffs but he never committed to working out and being in NHL shape. That line with him marleau and Michalek was one of my favorite sharks lines ever until Michalek got KOd by that cheap ******* Torres.
Michalek-Marleau-Bernier remains one of my favorite lines the Sharks have ever iced.

As for Bernier, sure it was his fault for not being a committed athlete, but the scouting staff took a chance on a big player with work ethic issues, when they could have gone for the polar opposite in Parise.

Closed Thread