HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Windsor, ON

Old
03-30-2013, 10:54 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 811
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
The most specific area is the area just around the Bridge and the universities, lots of strip clubs and motels praising their free HBO and Color TV's. It is being redeveloped a bit though. Downtown is what you make of it, it's not the best downtown, but it's not the worst either, the view of the Detroit River lightens up the area significantly, IMO.

Of course, Winnipeg isn't free of urban problems either, so I'm sure it will be fine. Anyway, welcome to Metro Detroit!!!
Noted. I'll generally stick more towards Downtown or Walkerville. From what I've read, it sounds like the downtown is pretty well populated and safe, certainly compared to Winnipeg - is that correct? i.e. would you generally (aside from maybe a few streets) feel safe walking at 2AM there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Also another cool thing is the via rail station at windsor hop on and only about an enjoyable 4 hour train ride to downtown toronto on long weekends.
Toronto, Chicago (one of my favorite cities), and of course, Detroit, means there's a lot more nearby than Winnipeg. Right now I've got an 8 hour drive to Minneapolis and 13 hr drive to Edmonton. By prairie roadtrip terms, I'll also have the US Northeast, Nashville, Ottawa and Montreal in easy reach.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:24 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep 'em coming.

Noted. I'll generally stick more towards Downtown or Walkerville. From what I've read, it sounds like the downtown is pretty well populated and safe, certainly compared to Winnipeg - is that correct? i.e. would you generally (aside from maybe a few streets) feel safe walking at 2AM there?

Toronto, Chicago (one of my favorite cities), and of course, Detroit, means there's a lot more nearby than Winnipeg. Right now I've got an 8 hour drive to Minneapolis and 13 hr drive to Edmonton. By prairie roadtrip terms, I'll also have the US Northeast, Nashville, Ottawa and Montreal in easy reach.
I've only been to Winnipeg once (I cheer for the Jets because of family history, but they all left for the US and Toronto in the 80's), but downtown is likely much safer. I do know that the Windsor downtown is safer than the bad parts of Vancouver downtown. You could very easily walk in downtown Windsor at 2 AM, as long as you use basic 2 AM common sense.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Cruiser008

I grew up in Windsor so I might be a bit biased, but unlike some others here I'd say you'll enjoy living there. Yes the unemployment rate there is still high, but it's nothing like Detroit or many other cities/towns in the US. The economic situation in the city has recovered reasonably since the recession, and since you have a (presumably good) job you'll be able to stretch your disposible income fairly well in an area where (IMO) the cost of living is quite low.

I think the best thing about Windsor is definitely the riverfront. There are tonnes of parks and greenspace all along the riverfront stretching from the Ambassador bridge all the way to the East end. The stretch from east of the university to just east of downtown is my favourite, with bike lanes, sculptures, etc. Certainly the proximity to Detroit is a huge plus as well.

There aren't any bad areas in Windsor. I would avoid living in the Sandwich area and the 4-5 blocks immediately east of downtown, but even these areas are more low income rather than 'bad' (I've lived in both of these areas btw, although I didn't have much growing up, esp. compared to now). The Nicest areas in the city proper are East of Walkerville along the riverfront and South Windsor (where I went to High School). Downtown is fairly lively for such a small city from what I remember... certainly I would have enjoyed it had I stayed there for university. Also crime is not a problem anywhere and I've never had a issue or been weary of walking downtown alone at night.

Hope that helps, and feel free to message me if you have any other/specific questions regarding my home town.

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser008 View Post
I grew up in Windsor so I might be a bit biased, but unlike some others here I'd say you'll enjoy living there. Yes the unemployment rate there is still high, but it's nothing like Detroit or many other cities/towns in the US. The economic situation in the city has recovered reasonably since the recession, and since you have a (presumably good) job you'll be able to stretch your disposible income fairly well in an area where (IMO) the cost of living is quite low.

I think the best thing about Windsor is definitely the riverfront. There are tonnes of parks and greenspace all along the riverfront stretching from the Ambassador bridge all the way to the East end. The stretch from east of the university to just east of downtown is my favourite, with bike lanes, sculptures, etc. Certainly the proximity to Detroit is a huge plus as well.

There aren't any bad areas in Windsor. I would avoid living in the Sandwich area and the 4-5 blocks immediately east of downtown, but even these areas are more low income rather than 'bad' (I've lived in both of these areas btw, although I didn't have much growing up, esp. compared to now). The Nicest areas in the city proper are East of Walkerville along the riverfront and South Windsor (where I went to High School). Downtown is fairly lively for such a small city from what I remember... certainly I would have enjoyed it had I stayed there for university. Also crime is not a problem anywhere and I've never had a issue or been weary of walking downtown alone at night.

Hope that helps, and feel free to message me if you have any other/specific questions regarding my home town.
This was a huge help. I knew of Sandwich being run down but wasn't sure about the area east of downtown. I've "driven" around a lot in Google Streetview and have been trying to assess areas based on the condition of the buildings and the type of pedestrian traffic. I'm trying to find an apartment on the west side of downtown (within a few blocks of Oullette) near the riverfront - that seems like the most desirable area of the downtown by my estimates.

You're right about the cost of living as well. I was disappointed with the salary offered until I found that the rent there is about half of what it is in Winnipeg. Of course, the privatized auto insurance is literally double what it costs in Manitoba so that takes away from it somewhat. Anyways I should be able to live comfortably and still put 1/3 of my income every month in longterm savings. I'm no financial planner but that seems pretty substantial to me.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceff Jarter View Post
everyone there owns a fish. and it's illegal to take a left on red. "
Are there places in North America where taking a left on a red light is legal?

04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
Are there places in North America where taking a left on a red light is legal?
One-way streets...

Old
04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
One-way streets...
Oh ok good to know. We don't have those here.

Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:18 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Stayed there once during a road trip. It was like I was still in America except all the restaurants had funny names.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:10 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Stayed there once during a road trip. It was like I was still in America except all the restaurants had funny names.
Care to explain? I read it was culturally an anomaly, not quite Canada, not quite the US, but I wasn't sure what it meant specifically. Politically, I think it's very pro-union so I don't think it applies there.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:38 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
One-way streets...
Not where I live, and I've got the ticket to prove it.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:27 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Not where I live, and I've got the ticket to prove it.
Ouch. So was Ceff Jarter being serious? Is that illegal in Ontario?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:01 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Used to get CBC Windsor 9 on American cable back in the day. One of the few Americans that knew about Mr. Dress up and This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

I have family who live there, always have wanted to visit but never did get around to it. Seems like a decent city though.

04-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Cruiser008

Quote:
Care to explain? I read it was culturally an anomaly, not quite Canada, not quite the US, but I wasn't sure what it meant specifically. Politically, I think it's very pro-union so I don't think it applies there.
Well many Windsorites are fluent in both Celcius and Fahrenheit, root for Detroit sports teams, and (those that listen to radio) listen to music from Detroit radio stations.

Politically though it is a union town and socially IMO it is quite Canadian.

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:23 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser008 View Post
Well many Windsorites are fluent in both Celcius and Fahrenheit, root for Detroit sports teams, and (those that listen to radio) listen to music from Detroit radio stations.

Politically though it is a union town and socially IMO it is quite Canadian.
Oh man, I have to learn Fahrenheit. All I know is minus 40 is the same and that's not useful outside of Winnipeg. I will definitely go to some Red Wings and Lions games though.