HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Calgary Flames...

Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Wouldn't quite go that far, Tambo is easily the worst GM in the league for my money. Nothing but assets, let them waste away into a sea of failed potential. Since he took over the Oilers have never done better than 4th in their division. That's unnaceptable. Feaster has a ways to go to reach that level of futility.
Ya true. I embellished that.
Tambo is heinous lol

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

...are going in the right direction finally.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
KidLine93

the way I see it.

Oilers got Hall,RNH,Yak

Calgary is gunning for Jones/Mackinnon, Reinhart/Ekblad, McDavid....

the battle of alberta might not look like a pond hockey game anymore

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
DonthaveaCOWEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
So they can trade him at the deadline again next year? I don't get the rationale for bringing him back to an organization that's rebuilding, it wouldn't make much sense for either side.
There is NO WAY Iggy goes back to Calgary when they are going to be entering a long period as a basement dweller. If Pittsburgh doesn't win the cup (very possible), Iggy will resign in Pittsburgh for another crack at it. He's done in Calgary.

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Feaster said today that hes not ready for a full rebuild, so that would explain the piss poor return on Jarome.
Wow, did he actually say that? That has to be management because it's obvious to that they're looking forward to the draft this season (unless those Jaybo rumors are nothing but speculation)

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:26 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Wouldn't quite go that far, Tambo is easily the worst GM in the league for my money. Nothing but assets, let them waste away into a sea of failed potential. Since he took over the Oilers have never done better than 4th in their division. That's unnaceptable. Feaster has a ways to go to reach that level of futility.
Tambellini could've done the exact same thing as Feaster... he could've kept that crappy 2008 team together and tried year after year to make the playoffs missing it by one or two spots for the rest of time.

Instead management decided to rebuild through the draft.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Although they are not my team, I am hoping for a quick and effective rebuild. Calgary fans deserve it, the city deserves it, and my NHL has a powerful Flames franchise in it.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Although they are not my team, I am hoping for a quick and effective rebuild. Calgary fans deserve it, the city deserves it, and my NHL has a powerful Flames franchise in it.
Management doesn't deserve it.
Just like the Oilers, they are incompetent and deserve a drop in sales to smarten them up.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
kshinkman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
There is NO WAY Iggy goes back to Calgary when they are going to be entering a long period as a basement dweller. If Pittsburgh doesn't win the cup (very possible), Iggy will resign in Pittsburgh for another crack at it. He's done in Calgary.
I agree. The Pens have a window for this year and next before big new contracts would have to kick in. They'll can easily afford to pay him around $5 for short term. They can basically keep him instead of paying Dupuis the $3-4 and replace Kennedy and maybe Cooke Cooke the $2 it would take to keep them with cheaper players. They can get some money other ways, like converting Vokoun ($2) to a cheaper backup. It's tight, but the money is there to re-sign Iginla. Shero was prepared to go $7 long term for Parise, and $6 for Staal. so a plan is already in place.

kshinkman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Wow, did he actually say that? That has to be management because it's obvious to that they're looking forward to the draft this season (unless those Jaybo rumors are nothing but speculation)
Yes he said it, so i wouldnt beshocked if he didnt move any other assets on deadline day (JayBo, Kipper, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Glencross, Stempniak).

Theres a much greater chance he is going to grab another bucket of KFC before he blows it up

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Yes he said it, so i wouldnt beshocked if he didnt move any other assets on deadline day (JayBo, Kipper, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Glencross, Stempniak).

Theres a much greater chance he is going to grab another bucket of KFC before he blows it up
On the bright side, maybe we will have a new GM going into next year to do a proper rebuild?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Count Von Grabo*

I feel horrible for Calgary. What an awful package.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:34 PM
oilersfan11

I miss the days when competent people were managing both the Flames and Oilers.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Von Grabo View Post
I feel horrible for Calgary. What an awful package.
I feel bad for the fans who have been stuck with their inept management so long. Being "just good enough to not suck" is no fun at all (Habs fans have known that feeling pretty well). If the Flames had pulled the trigger a couple years ago and blown things up, they could have gotten much better returns for Iginla, Kiprusoff, etc.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Mmhmm.

But as an Oiler fan, I'm glad they held onto him until their knuckles turned white.
Look at the wicked return!

Feaster is going to be eating his damn words

hahahaha What a god damn joke he is.
I'm really sad he didn't get Ryan O'Reilly... O wait.

Makes Tambo look like Shero.
Iove this haha.

He'll be out soon.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Kadri 4 Hart

The problem is that Feaster waited to long to trade Iginla, he should have been dealt last season or 2 years ago when he had more value.

Perhaps Iginla didn't want to be moved at that time though?

It's hard to know exactly what went on.

Can't blame Feaster for this deal..Iginla gave a list of 4 teams, and it seems like he eventually decided Pitt was his destination, so they got what they could for him.

Kadri 4 Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:12 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri 4 Hart View Post
The problem is that Feaster waited to long to trade Iginla, he should have been dealt last season or 2 years ago when he had more value.

Perhaps Iginla didn't want to be moved at that time though?

It's hard to know exactly what went on.

Can't blame Feaster for this deal..Iginla gave a list of 4 teams, and it seems like he eventually decided Pitt was his destination, so they got what they could for him.
Flames fans know exactly what went on actually. Ownership gave Feaster a mandate to make the playoffs and not to do a rebuild in past years. Feaster had no choice but to try and make that a reality.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Flames fans know exactly what went on actually. Ownership gave Feaster a mandate to make the playoffs and not to do a rebuild in past years. Feaster had no choice but to try and make that a reality.
Yup.

Alberta has the worst hockey management in the NHL.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:41 PM
madmike77

Quote:
That's the problem - even if Feaster goes, the strategy will remain the same.

On the bright side the team is now bad enough that they should get a few high picks regardless.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Sucks for them.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
If Iggy gets a cup, why would he move his family just cause. There are more considerations than just contending. Also, Calgary's plan has never been to spend years rebuilding. They are going to reload with prospects this year and then continue with their plan of trying to stay competitive through UFAs signins and trades.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:35 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If Iggy gets a cup, why would he move his family just cause. There are more considerations than just contending. Also, Calgary's plan has never been to spend years rebuilding. They are going to reload with prospects this year and then continue with their plan of trying to stay competitive through UFAs signins and trades.
These two posts summarize exactly what I expect the Flames have done and will do.

I've lived in Calgary for more than a few years now, I think the Flames ownership are concerned that support for the Flames will lapse if they aren't actively pushing for a playoff spot every season. Which is why they will continue to what blankall said.

I don't think there's an appetite within the Flames ownership group/management and corporate sponsors/suite owners in this city for the Flames to blow their team up, suck for a few years and start over from scratch.

tempest2i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:58 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
These two posts summarize exactly what I expect the Flames have done and will do.

I've lived in Calgary for more than a few years now, I think the Flames ownership are concerned that support for the Flames will lapse if they aren't actively pushing for a playoff spot every season. Which is why they will continue to what blankall said.

I don't think there's an appetite within the Flames ownership group/management and corporate sponsors/suite owners in this city for the Flames to blow their team up, suck for a few years and start over from scratch.
So, what is their plan to get better?

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Plan?

Old
03-28-2013, 05:36 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Get a lot of prospects this year. Continue to make big pitches for free agents and trades as those opportunities become available. The idea you can only build a team through many years of bottomonig out and drafting high is ridiculous. By that logic, the top teams this year should be Florida, Columbus, and Edmonton.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote