HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rask-Trying to get a feel for the average Bruins fan on here, please help

View Poll Results: How Many of the Goals Were Rask's Fault Tonight?
1 goal was his fault 41 24.55%
2 goals were his fault 25 14.97%
3 goals were his fault 8 4.79%
4 goals were his fault 1 0.60%
5 goals were his fault 7 4.19%
None of the goals were his fault. Bad luck and big breakdowns on D to fault 85 50.90%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
  #176
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I guess I'm harder on goalies than most, (which is kind of odd because I was one). Or maybe it's not that I'm harder on them, but that I expect more from an "elite" goalie. Maybe I expect too much... but here's the problem as I see it...


Since when is "not his fault" an acceptable standard of play? People expect Krejci to be great every night and kill him when he's not. People expect Seguin to bring them out of their seats every night, and when he doesn't they say something's wrong with him.

To me, "was it his fault?" is setting the bar too low. That's what you say about backups, not guys who are supposed to be elite players in the league.

Do the Rangers expect Lundqvist to just stop the easy ones? Or do they expect him to be a difference maker by making the difficult save at critical times?

Tips and deflections are not unstoppable.
Breakaways and odd man rushes are not unstoppable.
They are high degree-of-difficulty saves, but we see goalies making these stops every week.

If Rask was able to make the save on that 2on1 last night or stop that deflection it would have been a great save. But what's wrong with asking for a little greatness?

Rask is in line to become one of the highest paid players on the team, should they not expect a player tying up that much cap space to be great? To be a difference maker and stop the ones he shouldn't once in a while?

Very few teams are able to win the Cup without a goalie who stood on his head at some point. The 2010 Hawks come to mind. But look at Thomas in the 2011 playoffs. Look at Quick last year. Look at how many playoff MVP's are goalies. If it's true that your goalie has to be your best penalty killer, then it's also true that your goalie has to be your best player at crunch time.

I'm not saying Rask can't do it. Rask is already a very good goalie (and I think he has the potential to be the best in the league). He was great in the Buffalo series in 2010 and in the first half of the Philly series. He can and has made some of those 10 bell saves on breakaways/odd-man-rushes/and deflections this season and in the past. But IMHO, he hasn't made them consistently when the game has been on the line this year and that is part of the reason the B's are the worst team in the league at holding 3rd period leads. Certainly not the only reason, but one part of the equation.

It seems to me that, no matter how tight you are defensively, good teams are going to find a way to get a good scoring chance on you late in a close game. Thomas grew to be a difference maker in those moments, and I think Rask is still learning.
Agree with you Bill,
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1373319
I read this thread on the hockey stats board and it was an interesting analysis, basically it’s a save percentage based on scoring chances. Now there are issues with such analysis because a scoring chance is subjective and some teams hand them out like halloween candy, but it illustrates a few things. The Bruins allow the second fewest scoring chances and Rask is average in the league on scoring chances.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  #177
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,237
vCash: 583
Rask was not the problem last night.

He was terrific in the shootout.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:12 PM
  #178
Taz#24
Registered User
 
Taz#24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Washington DC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,876
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
Anybody else worried about RASK?

I'm not confident in his ability to hold onto a lead, make a timely save and I'm concerned as to whether he is an ideal "locker room" guy. I noticed a few things in the past but some of his teammates looked less then impressed with his antics after the Montreal shootout loss. Hope he proves me wrong but he's had plenty of chances and seems to struggle more often then not when he's under pressure in BIG games.

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
  #179
corpfan1
Registered User
 
corpfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 500
I am as worried about Rask as Rask is worried about Rask.

Now say that 5 times...

corpfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:16 PM
  #180
Bmessy
Registered User
 
Bmessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Allston, MA
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Im worried just as much as I am about Seidenbergs visor assists and charas tree of a stick tipping in goals.
And god damnit Ference sucks

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:17 PM
  #181
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser
 
TheReal13Linseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nation's Capital
Country: United States
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
raises hand.

__________________
My views have No Movement Clauses.
Bruins HF Board: Come for the lunacy; stay for the snipefest.
Marchand: Today's Linseman
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
Voted "Most sarcastic man on Earth" by GloryDaze4877. So Proud.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:18 PM
  #182
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24 View Post
I'm not confident in his ability to hold onto a lead, make a timely save and I'm concerned as to whether he is an ideal "locker room" guy. I noticed a few things in the past but some of his teammates looked less then impressed with his antics after the Montreal shootout loss. Hope he proves me wrong but he's had plenty of chances and seems to struggle more often then not when he's under pressure in BIG games.
Taking his last playoff series into account, it's hard to be overly confident until he proves himself. He's a good goalie, but I'm not sure he's the horse you can ride all the way to win a cup.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
  #183
Its Alright Ma
Registered User
 
Its Alright Ma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
I'm worried insofar as I think this team needs a dominant goaltender like Thomas in 2011 to win the cup...and while Rask is very good, so far he hasn't demonstrated that he can reach that next level in big games. There really isn't a way to upgrade the position so its pointless to worry too much about it, just gotta hope he can make the leap.

I like Rask and I'm rooting for him, but lets just say I wouldnt be trading any goaltending prospects

Its Alright Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
  #184
VanIsle
Registered User
 
VanIsle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Comox Valley, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,122
vCash: 500
I am worried about the Bruins with a 2 or more goal lead more than I am worried about Rask.

When the Bruins are behind they play with hunger, but when they have the lead they look scared and play not to get scored upon.

The Bruins almost need the Bergeron line to play 30 minutes a game as they are the only ones that seem to have any skill these days.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
  #185
jasonbaz77*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 6,317
vCash: 500
Not even a bit. How about giving him more than 1 or 2 goals?


Yeah...you guys are right- Price, Henrik those guys never had a bad game in their careers.


Who can we get for Rask?

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
  #186
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 13,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent

__________________
I've been an "I don't know." guy all my life and it's never let me down.
smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:03 PM
  #187
Latrappe
If Cam allow it
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
You're absolutely right, people are harping on the timing of Rask's saves, but the reality of it is, there's a lot happening out there, and Rask isn't really one of the things.

1. Our defensive personnel was always thin (I think we're two deep in terms of outstanding guys in our own end) and now it's worse.

2. Our forwards are also now very thin. Where we used to be able to wear teams down all game long, the opposite is happening. We're over relying on the Bergeron line and Chara/Seids, and they're not as effective later in the game.
And to illustrate your point, take the 3rd period of last night game and look at the numerous time our D-man are panicing/not able to clear the zone cleanly and you start to understand why this team can't hold a lead in the 3rd period. The number of defensive breakdowns is atrocious...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
  #188
sjaustin77
Registered User
 
sjaustin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
MTaylor - thanks for taking the heat. I don't have the time or energy to post much lately. You are right. Each goal means the same. The better you are earlier is actually more important than later though, because the other team now has to outplay you with less time to do it. The late goals only matter if you didn't do enough in the 1st 2 periods or 55 minutes.

The saves made in the 1st period, through 2 periods, through 55 minutes are actually more important than saves made in what people think is "clutch" which is contrary to what people are arguing against you.

I don't have time to post a sortable table but here are some numbers for people to chew on. (You can go to NHL.com under team stats - summary and sort these yourself if you want).

Team Pt % when scoring 1st (average is well within the first 20 minutes):
Highest - .882
Lowest - .421

Only 2 teams under .500. Making those 1st saves is very critical.

Now leading after a full 20 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (1 team)
Lowest - .500

No team under .500 when leading after 1. So the goalie who lets in less goals is never going to have a losing record.

Now after 40 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (3 teams)
Lowest - .545

Even better after 40 minutes. What a goalie does in the longer time period is most important, not what he does in the 3rd or last 5 minutes.

You want "clutch"? How about the shootout?

Rask has a .731 Sv% in the shootout in 26 shots. 4th best of anyone over 10 shots. The 3 above him Bishop, Pavelec and Lundqvist only have - 19, 16, and 19 shots faced respectively.

Rask makes many "clutch" saves. 1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period, OT, shootout. The eyes and mind are biased with great selective memory. The Bruins are +8 in 1st, +6 in the 2nd, and +7 in the 3rd. Looks pretty even to me, yet selective memory has everyone here in a panic over their 3rd period play. What about the games they have been great in the 3rd? It looks to me like there are a lot of them if they are a +7 with all of their blown leads.

The Bruins were .471 in 1 goal games in their cup season and people think they were great. They are .556 this year and people think they suck.

Clutch and momentum are fallacies. They aren't there - until they are, and then they aren't there again. Ortiz, ARod, Pats-49ers, Canadiens series, Canucks series, Hurricanes series, Caps series, last nights game.

Thomas gave up plenty of soft goals, including in every playoff series he has ever played which includes his cup run and finals. Had Thomas been "clutch" maybe we sweep Vancouver. Anyone remember the end of games 1 and 2? He was let off the hook in some games in the Montreal and Tampa series because the Bruins offense was great. Thomas let in some major softies in last year's Caps series. Only 2 and 2 in OT games, Game 5 - late Brouwer goal, game 6 - late Ovechkin goal. Carolina series - Walker.

People really need to look at the overall picture and what is actually most important. If you are going to pick out every "unclutch" save or bad goal, then also start picking out every "clutch" save and good save. Compare Rask, or whoever, or the Bruins to their peers, and current teams instead of some fantasy you have of what they should be. If we are going to criticize every time they win because it isn't good enough, then they deserve credit for games they were good enough but didn't win. Either winning is the only thing that matters or the way they play in every game win or lose does.

Rask is great, in fact elite by the numbers, and makes plenty of "clutch" saves. Don't let bias, selective memory, and focusing on only the 3rd period or what you think is important cloud that fact.

I will take a stats (objective) argument over the people on this board any day. But what do I know, I'm the biased fanboy that doesn't know how to look at things objectively apparently, or so I've been told by the (unbiased ) posters on this board.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
  #189
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Blessed w the best
Country: United States
Posts: 41,320
vCash: 500
Does anyone have how many goals Rask has let up in the third? Or his 3rd period sv pctg?

I like Rask and think he will be fine but you guys can show me whatever stats you want, I can see how he and the team go down the crapper when the pressure is on in certain games...not all the time, but more then it's been in a long time..

Is it just me that expects us to lose now when tied, or to get tied when up by a goal? It never used to feel like that..and that includes when Rask was in net the past few years.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:26 PM
  #190
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 500
On every goal a defenseman makes a mistake or the scoring team gets a lucky bounce. None of the goals were soft, but Rask didn't play well (except in the shootout).

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:25 PM
  #191
Braunbaer
also a giraffe
 
Braunbaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
He could have had the first one, but I don't blame him there.
Maybe he was too aggressive for the Gallagher goal. But then again, everything's fine if the puck doesn't hit Seidenberg's face.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
  #192
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 37,969
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24 View Post
I'm not confident in his ability to hold onto a lead, make a timely save and I'm concerned as to whether he is an ideal "locker room" guy. I noticed a few things in the past but some of his teammates looked less then impressed with his antics after the Montreal shootout loss. Hope he proves me wrong but he's had plenty of chances and seems to struggle more often then not when he's under pressure in BIG games.
I sit behind Bruins goal in first and third and can shake hands with the goal judge without even getting out of my seat- so I love watching the goalies. Never played goal accept between a couple of boots on a pond, but can tell you I am pretty good at knowing who is good and not, and there is only one thing from stopping this guy from being a top 5 goalie and that is injuries

zero worries he is really, really, really good

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:11 PM
  #193
sjaustin77
Registered User
 
sjaustin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Does anyone have how many goals Rask has let up in the third? Or his 3rd period sv pctg?

I like Rask and think he will be fine but you guys can show me whatever stats you want, I can see how he and the team go down the crapper when the pressure is on in certain games...not all the time, but more then it's been in a long time..

Is it just me that expects us to lose now when tied, or to get tied when up by a goal? It never used to feel like that..and that includes when Rask was in net the past few years.
I don't WBC and don't have time to figure it out now. I would like to see them too.

As a team - not separated by goaltender the Bruins rank:

Goal Differential 1st period - 6th
Goal Differential 2nd period - 9th
Goal Differential 3rd period - 7th
Goals Against 1st period - 4th
Goals Against 2nd period - 9th
Goals Against 3rd period - 2nd - I'll repeat this one - Goals Against 3rd period - 2nd

Now the good part:
Goals For 1st period - 9th
Goals For 2nd period - 13th
Goals For 3rd period - 17th (Actually propped up by some EN goals)

The offense in the 2nd and 3rd period is the reason the Bruins are losing leads - not Rask.

The 1st bolded is exactly what MTaylor is talking about. We can show you all the stats we want, but you are going to ignore them because they aren't when you think the pressure is on or in certain games. The pressure isn't just on in the 3rd period or in certain games. And unless you compare him in these situations to other goalies and show me that he performs worse, then people can't say that he fails under pressure. Is the shootout not pressure? I've already shown his numbers there.

Teams that are behind that are desperate will often outplay the other team. This isn't exclusive to the Bruins. No team plays 60 minute efforts, has goalies that make all the saves, players that have 5 hits per game, etc., but that seems to be the standards this board expects. It isn't realistic.

The 2nd part that I bolded - doesn't that show that it isn't Rask's fault? Which my numbers show that it isn't and if you watch the games you will also see that it isn't. If you have only felt that way this season even when Rask was in net then it is obviously something else. Low and behold it is the lack of 3rd period scoring.

Rask is the least of my worries. I also think the 3rd period stuff is an anomaly that will correct itself.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
  #194
Orrthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaustin77 View Post
I don't WBC and don't have time to figure it out now. I would like to see them too.

As a team - not separated by goaltender the Bruins rank:

Goal Differential 1st period - 6th
Goal Differential 2nd period - 9th
Goal Differential 3rd period - 7th
Goals Against 1st period - 4th
Goals Against 2nd period - 9th
Goals Against 3rd period - 2nd - I'll repeat this one - Goals Against 3rd period - 2nd

Now the good part:
Goals For 1st period - 9th
Goals For 2nd period - 13th
Goals For 3rd period - 17th (Actually propped up by some EN goals)

The offense in the 2nd and 3rd period is the reason the Bruins are losing leads - not Rask.

The 1st bolded is exactly what MTaylor is talking about. We can show you all the stats we want, but you are going to ignore them because they aren't when you think the pressure is on or in certain games. The pressure isn't just on in the 3rd period or in certain games. And unless you compare him in these situations to other goalies and show me that he performs worse, then people can't say that he fails under pressure. Is the shootout not pressure? I've already shown his numbers there.

Teams that are behind that are desperate will often outplay the other team. This isn't exclusive to the Bruins. No team plays 60 minute efforts, has goalies that make all the saves, players that have 5 hits per game, etc., but that seems to be the standards this board expects. It isn't realistic.

The 2nd part that I bolded - doesn't that show that it isn't Rask's fault? Which my numbers show that it isn't and if you watch the games you will also see that it isn't. If you have only felt that way this season even when Rask was in net then it is obviously something else. Low and behold it is the lack of 3rd period scoring.

Rask is the least of my worries. I also think the 3rd period stuff is an anomaly that will correct itself.
Very good post. People here are blaming Rask because the team in front of him stops play offense when it has a lead. If a team needs a big save from the goalie to motivate them then the problem is with the team not the goalie.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:46 PM
  #195
sjaustin77
Registered User
 
sjaustin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I sit behind Bruins goal in first and third and can shake hands with the goal judge without even getting out of my seat- so I love watching the goalies. Never played goal accept between a couple of boots on a pond, but can tell you I am pretty good at knowing who is good and not, and there is only one thing from stopping this guy from being a top 5 goalie and that is injuries

zero worries he is really, really, really good
My thoughts exactly - I wish I could keep them that short

Injuries is another myth that people were concerned about with Rask. They are always a concern, but he has only had 1 injury over his whole international, AHL and NHL career that cost more than a game or 2 and he was even ready to go for the last game or 2 vs the Caps last year.

PS - Thanks DKH for the kind words in one of the Spooner threads that I never got back to.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:54 PM
  #196
thornton22
Registered User
 
thornton22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Also, I love when people complain about Rask but agree that Price is a top 5/10 NHL goalie (for the record, I think he's really good). Can someone please remind me which one was pulled last night? Which one could have actually saved some of the shots against him? Sorry that Rask can't have a shutout every game, but he's obviously a very, very good goalie.

thornton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
  #197
Bone for your jar
Registered User
 
Bone for your jar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston, Mass.
Posts: 2,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaustin77 View Post
MTaylor - thanks for taking the heat. I don't have the time or energy to post much lately. You are right. Each goal means the same. The better you are earlier is actually more important than later though, because the other team now has to outplay you with less time to do it. The late goals only matter if you didn't do enough in the 1st 2 periods or 55 minutes.

The saves made in the 1st period, through 2 periods, through 55 minutes are actually more important than saves made in what people think is "clutch" which is contrary to what people are arguing against you.

I don't have time to post a sortable table but here are some numbers for people to chew on. (You can go to NHL.com under team stats - summary and sort these yourself if you want).

Team Pt % when scoring 1st (average is well within the first 20 minutes):
Highest - .882
Lowest - .421

Only 2 teams under .500. Making those 1st saves is very critical.

Now leading after a full 20 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (1 team)
Lowest - .500

No team under .500 when leading after 1. So the goalie who lets in less goals is never going to have a losing record.

Now after 40 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (3 teams)
Lowest - .545

Even better after 40 minutes. What a goalie does in the longer time period is most important, not what he does in the 3rd or last 5 minutes.

You want "clutch"? How about the shootout?

Rask has a .731 Sv% in the shootout in 26 shots. 4th best of anyone over 10 shots. The 3 above him Bishop, Pavelec and Lundqvist only have - 19, 16, and 19 shots faced respectively.

Rask makes many "clutch" saves. 1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period, OT, shootout. The eyes and mind are biased with great selective memory. The Bruins are +8 in 1st, +6 in the 2nd, and +7 in the 3rd. Looks pretty even to me, yet selective memory has everyone here in a panic over their 3rd period play. What about the games they have been great in the 3rd? It looks to me like there are a lot of them if they are a +7 with all of their blown leads.

The Bruins were .471 in 1 goal games in their cup season and people think they were great. They are .556 this year and people think they suck.

Clutch and momentum are fallacies. They aren't there - until they are, and then they aren't there again. Ortiz, ARod, Pats-49ers, Canadiens series, Canucks series, Hurricanes series, Caps series, last nights game.

Thomas gave up plenty of soft goals, including in every playoff series he has ever played which includes his cup run and finals. Had Thomas been "clutch" maybe we sweep Vancouver. Anyone remember the end of games 1 and 2? He was let off the hook in some games in the Montreal and Tampa series because the Bruins offense was great. Thomas let in some major softies in last year's Caps series. Only 2 and 2 in OT games, Game 5 - late Brouwer goal, game 6 - late Ovechkin goal. Carolina series - Walker.

People really need to look at the overall picture and what is actually most important. If you are going to pick out every "unclutch" save or bad goal, then also start picking out every "clutch" save and good save. Compare Rask, or whoever, or the Bruins to their peers, and current teams instead of some fantasy you have of what they should be. If we are going to criticize every time they win because it isn't good enough, then they deserve credit for games they were good enough but didn't win. Either winning is the only thing that matters or the way they play in every game win or lose does.

Rask is great, in fact elite by the numbers, and makes plenty of "clutch" saves. Don't let bias, selective memory, and focusing on only the 3rd period or what you think is important cloud that fact.

I will take a stats (objective) argument over the people on this board any day. But what do I know, I'm the biased fanboy that doesn't know how to look at things objectively apparently, or so I've been told by the (unbiased ) posters on this board.
Thank you. This is one of the very best posts I've read here, ever. And I love how you phrased the bolded part above.

I vaguely recall disagreeing strongly with you on some other thread a while back, but all is forgiven.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
  #198
BaBaBruins
Ludicrous Speed Go!
 
BaBaBruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaustin77 View Post
MTaylor - thanks for taking the heat. I don't have the time or energy to post much lately. You are right. Each goal means the same. The better you are earlier is actually more important than later though, because the other team now has to outplay you with less time to do it. The late goals only matter if you didn't do enough in the 1st 2 periods or 55 minutes.

The saves made in the 1st period, through 2 periods, through 55 minutes are actually more important than saves made in what people think is "clutch" which is contrary to what people are arguing against you.

I don't have time to post a sortable table but here are some numbers for people to chew on. (You can go to NHL.com under team stats - summary and sort these yourself if you want).

Team Pt % when scoring 1st (average is well within the first 20 minutes):
Highest - .882
Lowest - .421

Only 2 teams under .500. Making those 1st saves is very critical.

Now leading after a full 20 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (1 team)
Lowest - .500

No team under .500 when leading after 1. So the goalie who lets in less goals is never going to have a losing record.

Now after 40 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (3 teams)
Lowest - .545

Even better after 40 minutes. What a goalie does in the longer time period is most important, not what he does in the 3rd or last 5 minutes.

You want "clutch"? How about the shootout?

Rask has a .731 Sv% in the shootout in 26 shots. 4th best of anyone over 10 shots. The 3 above him Bishop, Pavelec and Lundqvist only have - 19, 16, and 19 shots faced respectively.

Rask makes many "clutch" saves. 1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period, OT, shootout. The eyes and mind are biased with great selective memory. The Bruins are +8 in 1st, +6 in the 2nd, and +7 in the 3rd. Looks pretty even to me, yet selective memory has everyone here in a panic over their 3rd period play. What about the games they have been great in the 3rd? It looks to me like there are a lot of them if they are a +7 with all of their blown leads.

The Bruins were .471 in 1 goal games in their cup season and people think they were great. They are .556 this year and people think they suck.

Clutch and momentum are fallacies. They aren't there - until they are, and then they aren't there again. Ortiz, ARod, Pats-49ers, Canadiens series, Canucks series, Hurricanes series, Caps series, last nights game.

Thomas gave up plenty of soft goals, including in every playoff series he has ever played which includes his cup run and finals. Had Thomas been "clutch" maybe we sweep Vancouver. Anyone remember the end of games 1 and 2? He was let off the hook in some games in the Montreal and Tampa series because the Bruins offense was great. Thomas let in some major softies in last year's Caps series. Only 2 and 2 in OT games, Game 5 - late Brouwer goal, game 6 - late Ovechkin goal. Carolina series - Walker.

People really need to look at the overall picture and what is actually most important. If you are going to pick out every "unclutch" save or bad goal, then also start picking out every "clutch" save and good save. Compare Rask, or whoever, or the Bruins to their peers, and current teams instead of some fantasy you have of what they should be. If we are going to criticize every time they win because it isn't good enough, then they deserve credit for games they were good enough but didn't win. Either winning is the only thing that matters or the way they play in every game win or lose does.

Rask is great, in fact elite by the numbers, and makes plenty of "clutch" saves. Don't let bias, selective memory, and focusing on only the 3rd period or what you think is important cloud that fact.

I will take a stats (objective) argument over the people on this board any day. But what do I know, I'm the biased fanboy that doesn't know how to look at things objectively apparently, or so I've been told by the (unbiased ) posters on this board.
TL;DR - TAke off your tinfoil hats everyone, Rask is an elite netminder.

(Excellent post BTW)

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
  #199
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaustin77 View Post
MTaylor - thanks for taking the heat. I don't have the time or energy to post much lately. You are right. Each goal means the same. The better you are earlier is actually more important than later though, because the other team now has to outplay you with less time to do it. The late goals only matter if you didn't do enough in the 1st 2 periods or 55 minutes.

The saves made in the 1st period, through 2 periods, through 55 minutes are actually more important than saves made in what people think is "clutch" which is contrary to what people are arguing against you.

I don't have time to post a sortable table but here are some numbers for people to chew on. (You can go to NHL.com under team stats - summary and sort these yourself if you want).

Team Pt % when scoring 1st (average is well within the first 20 minutes):
Highest - .882
Lowest - .421

Only 2 teams under .500. Making those 1st saves is very critical.

Now leading after a full 20 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (1 team)
Lowest - .500

No team under .500 when leading after 1. So the goalie who lets in less goals is never going to have a losing record.

Now after 40 minutes:
Highest - 1.000 (3 teams)
Lowest - .545

Even better after 40 minutes. What a goalie does in the longer time period is most important, not what he does in the 3rd or last 5 minutes.

You want "clutch"? How about the shootout?

Rask has a .731 Sv% in the shootout in 26 shots. 4th best of anyone over 10 shots. The 3 above him Bishop, Pavelec and Lundqvist only have - 19, 16, and 19 shots faced respectively.

Rask makes many "clutch" saves. 1st period, 2nd period, 3rd period, OT, shootout. The eyes and mind are biased with great selective memory. The Bruins are +8 in 1st, +6 in the 2nd, and +7 in the 3rd. Looks pretty even to me, yet selective memory has everyone here in a panic over their 3rd period play. What about the games they have been great in the 3rd? It looks to me like there are a lot of them if they are a +7 with all of their blown leads.

The Bruins were .471 in 1 goal games in their cup season and people think they were great. They are .556 this year and people think they suck.

Clutch and momentum are fallacies. They aren't there - until they are, and then they aren't there again. Ortiz, ARod, Pats-49ers, Canadiens series, Canucks series, Hurricanes series, Caps series, last nights game.

Thomas gave up plenty of soft goals, including in every playoff series he has ever played which includes his cup run and finals. Had Thomas been "clutch" maybe we sweep Vancouver. Anyone remember the end of games 1 and 2? He was let off the hook in some games in the Montreal and Tampa series because the Bruins offense was great. Thomas let in some major softies in last year's Caps series. Only 2 and 2 in OT games, Game 5 - late Brouwer goal, game 6 - late Ovechkin goal. Carolina series - Walker.

People really need to look at the overall picture and what is actually most important. If you are going to pick out every "unclutch" save or bad goal, then also start picking out every "clutch" save and good save. Compare Rask, or whoever, or the Bruins to their peers, and current teams instead of some fantasy you have of what they should be. If we are going to criticize every time they win because it isn't good enough, then they deserve credit for games they were good enough but didn't win. Either winning is the only thing that matters or the way they play in every game win or lose does.

Rask is great, in fact elite by the numbers, and makes plenty of "clutch" saves. Don't let bias, selective memory, and focusing on only the 3rd period or what you think is important cloud that fact.

I will take a stats (objective) argument over the people on this board any day. But what do I know, I'm the biased fanboy that doesn't know how to look at things objectively apparently, or so I've been told by the (unbiased ) posters on this board.
I wouldn't normally do this, but since so many people said they loved this or thought it was amazing, I just wanted to say I thought it was mostly garbage.

It is full of nonsense and flat out falsehoods. You twisted meaningless stats to have the appearance of substance, but on only a superficial analysis they fall apart.

Tuukka Rask deserves a better defense than this trash.

(I have my concerns, but he deserves a stronger argument than this.)

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:53 PM
  #200
thegodfather
Registered User
 
thegodfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
How anyone in there right mind can blame Rask on any of these goals is down right stupid to say the least.

You can break down any of the goals and put the blame on anyone other then Rask.

Chara tips one in because he's out of position to take the body, Seids falling down from a little cross check, Ference being an outright idiot in trying stop a puck by going down on one knee and Dougie not playing the pass.

People on here will take shots at Lucic for bad games, but has anyone really paid any attention to some of our defense...

Here are some top names to pay attention too...

Seidenberg

Starts here and ends here.

Can anyone really count on one hand how many times he's been caught flat footed this year...it's down right sickening...

thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.