Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rebuild or Retool?

Old
03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Flamester

vCash: 500
Rebuild or Retool?

What's the plan??? Iggys gone now but we still haven't heard anything from managment regarding the plan moving forward. This team can't possibly believe that trading iginla and retooling will acctually fix the issues . I personally want a rebuild like an actual 3-5 year plan, that way we know wtf is going on.

Flamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 695
We'll have a better idea of what's up over the next 5-6 days.

Ace Rimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Flames92

The main reason we haven't rebuilt yet was because of Iginla, I doubt this is the only trade we make.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Ken King made it sound like they were going to move everybody.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
JurassicTunga

Apparently this is what was said when Ken King was on the Fan590 today:

-Says that they realized that the team needs significant changes and a new direction. Says that Feaster avoids the rebuild label because people in Western Canada think of it as the Oilers template, they don't want to 'wander in the desert for years'
-Indicated that he expects several moves to be made at the deadline and more to be made at the draft
-Noted that the team isn't anywhere close to where it wants to be
-Characterizes the organization and Feaster as an aggressive group that is going to seek out opportunities to improve the team like a 'heat-seeking missile'

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:45 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
You can do both as long as you have smart asset management. We need good drafting and player development, as well as smart signings and trades. As an example

Trade Gio to STL for Cole + 1st/Rattie
Stempniak + mid pick to a desperate team for a 1st
trade the depth defensemen for picks
Move Kipper to TO for Scrivens + Ashton/2nd
Move Jackman for anything

This offseason sign Iginla,Riberio/Roy/Cervenka(if he proves he can play at this level),Ryder/Horton,White

Cammy - Riberio/Roy/Cervenka - Iginla
Tanguay - Backlund - Ryder/Horton
Hudler - Stajan - GlenX
Aliu - Bouma - McGrattan

Jbo - Brodie
Cole - Wideman
Butler - Breen/White

Ramo
Scrivens

Don't trade picks, let prospects like Sven,Horak,Reinhart,Granlund develop in the AHL together. Introduce prospects into the team as they become ready move out vets standing in there way.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Devilspuppet666

its feasters way of saying were gonna put 100% effort into winning but will look to improve longer term, not short term...

we dont wanna be the oilers

they have been in the playoffs once in the last 13 years or somethign like that

ANY who HF should be happy... were blowing it up

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

There's nothing to retool with. All they can do now is tear it down and rebuild it.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
There's nothing to retool with. All they can do now is tear it down and rebuild it.
I think Baertschi should be called up now and played on the top line.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:13 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post

-Says that they realized that the team needs significant changes and a new direction. Says that Feaster avoids the rebuild label because people in Western Canada think of it as the Oilers template, they don't want to 'wander in the desert for years'
-Indicated that he expects several moves to be made at the deadline and more to be made at the draft
-Characterizes the organization and Feaster as an aggressive group that is going to seek out opportunities to improve the team like a 'heat-seeking missile'
Thanks for summarizing this. I'm still worried about Feaster heading a rebuild. I believe we had a discussion before about other GM's/people that would do a better job. We'll see.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:

Music to my ears.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:02 PM
HeroNtF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
You can do both as long as you have smart asset management. We need good drafting and player development, as well as smart signings and trades. As an example

Trade Gio to STL for Cole + 1st/Rattie
Stempniak + mid pick to a desperate team for a 1st
trade the depth defensemen for picks
Move Kipper to TO for Scrivens + Ashton/2nd
Move Jackman for anything

This offseason sign Iginla,Riberio/Roy/Cervenka(if he proves he can play at this level),Ryder/Horton,White

Cammy - Riberio/Roy/Cervenka - Iginla
Tanguay - Backlund - Ryder/Horton
Hudler - Stajan - GlenX
Aliu - Bouma - McGrattan

Please stop..kipper said

Jbo - Brodie
Cole - Wideman
Butler - Breen/White

Ramo
Scrivens

Don't trade picks, let prospects like Sven,Horak,Reinhart,Granlund develop in the AHL together. Introduce prospects into the team as they become ready move out vets standing in there way.
Please stop, kipper wont go anywhere and no one will pay for him, those returns are out to lunch, and iginla isn't returning, he left to be on a contender, not a rebuild. Bouwmeester is about the only player that can grab a good return this deadline, and muat go to kick start a rebuild.

HeroNtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post
Please stop, kipper wont go anywhere and no one will pay for him, those returns are out to lunch, and iginla isn't returning, he left to be on a contender, not a rebuild. Bouwmeester is about the only player that can grab a good return this deadline, and muat go to kick start a rebuild.
Why won't Kipper go any where? Iginla could very well return if they win this year.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
What's the plan??? Iggys gone now but we still haven't heard anything from managment regarding the plan moving forward. This team can't possibly believe that trading iginla and retooling will acctually fix the issues . I personally want a rebuild like an actual 3-5 year plan, that way we know wtf is going on.
Retooling and rebuilding are the same thing. The Oxford dictionary says only one thing about "retooling" and that's "Equip with new tools." With regard to "rebuild" it says, "build again or differently". In both cases you're changing out older players for new - It's as simple or complicated as that.

I have no idea why Uncle Feaster doesn't like the word "rebuild" or why he doesn't want to use the Edmonton model. It worked for the Wings when they did it in the 80's.

Last edited by Mike Jones: 03-29-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:31 AM
slappipappi

Whether people want it or not, Calgary will be in a full mode rebuild sooner or later.

If they wait a few years to totally rebuild, it will be forced upon them in any event, as aging players leave or retire.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Whether people want it or not, Calgary will be in a full mode rebuild sooner or later.
You're right but in terms of timing the rebuild is happening now and any management type trying to argue the contrary is off their rocker.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 695
If it takes calling a rebuild a retool to sell it to ownership, fine. Call it "Brenda" for all I care. Just get er done.

Ace Rimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
FlamesFreak4

vCash: 8454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If it takes calling a rebuild a retool to sell it to ownership, fine. Call it "Brenda" for all I care. Just get er done.

Done. The Calgary Flames are doing Brenda! ...wait a minute...

FlamesFreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:15 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:

Thank goodness. The whole tank rebuild is such a crock of Sh@t it pisses me off. I have nothing against top picks (in fact I celebrate adding them) but years of losing is not good for an organization. It should be unacceptable to see that level of losing. If teams like Detroit, Philly, Vancouver, Boston can continue to develop talent while being succesful than I see little reason why Calgary can't. That doesn't mean there won't be tough seasons (Philly the year they grabbed JVR, Boston the year they grabbed Kessel) but you can build a strong base of talent in the organization through more than just the draft. If you can only do it through the draft by finishing bottom 5 consistently, you're not a balanced organization.

Things look a lot better after this year for the organization with two first rounders, especially if one is top 5.

Adding a guy like Barkov/Drouin/MacKinnon and Mueller/Hagg is a huge help. Maybe moving Bouwmeester brings back a nice prospect and a high pick (2nd or 1st rounder).

Try and make some room in the top 9 for younger players. Move Stajan (who should be considerably more attractive to teams with only one year left on his contract and only being paid 2.5 million for it), Stempniak and Bouwmeester. They all should be attractive to some level and relatively easy to move. Hopefully Kipper can be convinced to move.

Consider moving Cammy if the price is right (might be a little more difficult with his contract) but he could fit moving forward. Buy out Sarich with one of the amnesty deals. Use the other one if necessary.

Go into the offseason with a core of Cammy, Hudler, Tanguay, Glencross, Backlund, Wideman, Giordano, Brodie. Bring in Ramo to take over the starter role. Let some other young guys fight for the open spots. Go into the next season as a growth season. Doesn't matter where you finish because prospects are developing and if you finish bottom 10, you get another prospect to add. If you do well, then you do well.

Hopefully by 2014-2015 the core has worked itself out and its looking stronger with some additions like the top 5 pick this year, Ramo etc. Retool I guess?

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Actually this is brilliant.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
At the end of the day, this team needs to stop winning.
I hate saying it, because you play hockey to win... But you have to start putting out some dismal teams every night to drop down into the bottom three; hopefully bottom two.

The guy they get with their first overall pick will be huge for this organization going forward, so it's important he's within the top 4 guys available at the draft. Although you can pick up guys like Sven a little later, it's more likely you can pick up high end players earlier on.

The simple reason Rebuild isn't being used it that there's such a negative connotation to it in Alberta. Edmonton has been 'rebuilding' for about 4 years now, has gotten 3 first overalls, and yet has done little better than the decaying Calgary Flames. Call it whatever you want, but Calgary needs to start infusing their roster with young talent. On a nightly basis there are only 2 Calgary picks playing in a game (and one's from the 90's), and that's just unacceptable.

There are pieces to move to get better in the long run, get it done.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Flamester

well the only thing i can actually look forward to this year is the draft. just imagine if we won the lottery, grabbing the next franchise player Seth Jones.

this trade deadline should be a very busy day for the flames. i can see bouwmeester, stepniak , and tanguay leaving.

Flamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
well the only thing i can actually look forward to this year is the draft. just imagine if we won the lottery, grabbing the next franchise player Seth Jones.

this trade deadline should be a very busy day for the flames. i can see bouwmeester, stepniak , and tanguay leaving.
I believe we already have a franchise player: a Mr. Sven Bärtschi.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
I wouldn't jump to that already lol. Not like this kid doesn't already have the weight of the Calgary Flames world on his shoulders.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:40 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
I don't think so, I think he will be Tanguay 2.0. A first line player but not able to carry the team.