Iginla to Pittsburgh!!

Old
03-28-2013, 03:19 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Get over it. We got two prospects and a first round pick for a month+playoffs of 35yr old Iginla. He is a rental.. Seriously. What were people expecting. Get over it and let Iggy win his ****in cup.
This! I can finally come into a thread and thank you sir! Nice.

I am happy for the following reasons

1. This clearly shows that ownership has finally had a change of heart. They realize that what we have tried to accomplish over the past half decade is simply not working anymore. Time to move on, turn a page.

2. Jarome gets to go where he wants. I could not be happier for the guy. He finally gets a legitimate opportunity to be a champion and to play with the best player in the world.

3. Although the return was not as phenomenal as we all anticipated, this is simply the reality of the situation. First of all Jarome has a full NTC/NMC clause, he completely controlled these negotiations. Second of all he is a 35 year old UFA to be that has struggled at times this season and despite what we all want to believe is not nearly as valuable as he used to be.

4. We get two very solid prospects that are both at the stage in their careers where they can step directly into professional hockey and potentially onto the flames within the very near future. We also get a guaranteed first round pick in a very deep 2013 draft, as opposed to a conditional 2014 pick (from all accounts...lol)

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:20 AM
mpp9

This Pens fan just got trolled by his own GM. Iggy will be loved in Pittsburgh. This team has the feel of 09. Players are hungry. We'll get Iggy a Cup and return him to you as good as new.

Sorry Feaster couldn't get more.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

I think you'll be happy with Hanowski once you see him playing for you, and he will. Doubtful Agostini becomes anything more than an AHL regular though. Plus you have the pick. It probably seems worse than the bruins offer now, but it isn't. Koko was boom or bust and Bart wasn't adding anything you couldn't find off the scrap heap. Hanowski will at least have a shot at a bottom 6 role if top 6 doesn't work. Koko is top 6 or KHL

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:29 AM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
I'm not happy with the return but whatever. Things like this have to be expected from the Flames organization at this point. Well, so long as this current management group and ownership remain anyway.

Regardless, I'm legitimately looking forward to seeing Iginla and Crosby play together. Iginla goes from guys like Moss, Comeau, Jokinen and Cammalleri to the best centre in the game in the Crosby. Can't wait to see how he does.
This. I can wait to see him play with an extra jump in his step.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Merc29
Sid ney Cr os by

Don't know if anyone caught that the bruins offered a conditional 1st and weren't budging and that's why Shero's offer was taken because it guaranteed a 1st. Anyways, I'm more than thrilled to have Iggy join our team and we thank you.

If there was a team you'd want him to I to it would be the Pens, because the chances of us resigning him after this season is slim from the drop in cap.
Like the previous poster said, lets help Iginla win the cup and we'll return him good as new!

Merc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:35 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Name one rental who was traded for an "elite prospect".
You think Iginla's gonna get sick of being on a line with either Crosby or Malkin? Seriously doubt he comes back to Calgary.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
You think Iginla's gonna get sick of being on a line with either Crosby or Malkin? Seriously doubt he comes back to Calgary.
He's got a much better shot at returning to Calgary, than he does re-signing in Pittsburgh, unless he leaves a ridiculous amount of money on the table.

Pittsburgh cap situation, combined with the fact that the cap is coming down and Malkin will be talking new deal shortly, means that they can't afford to have Iginla on the books as anything other than a rental.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:40 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Right I think we will go with what we know about Iggy over what you know.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:56 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
This! I can finally come into a thread and thank you sir! Nice.

I am happy for the following reasons

1. This clearly shows that ownership has finally had a change of heart. They realize that what we have tried to accomplish over the past half decade is simply not working anymore. Time to move on, turn a page.

2. Jarome gets to go where he wants. I could not be happier for the guy. He finally gets a legitimate opportunity to be a champion and to play with the best player in the world.

3. Although the return was not as phenomenal as we all anticipated, this is simply the reality of the situation. First of all Jarome has a full NTC/NMC clause, he completely controlled these negotiations. Second of all he is a 35 year old UFA to be that has struggled at times this season and despite what we all want to believe is not nearly as valuable as he used to be.

4. We get two very solid prospects that are both at the stage in their careers where they can step directly into professional hockey and potentially onto the flames within the very near future. We also get a guaranteed first round pick in a very deep 2013 draft, as opposed to a conditional 2014 pick (from all accounts...lol)
I'm starting to come around to this. At first I was fairly angry but if I think about it, the Pens could very well get Iggy a cup and it is possible he will come back here after (gonna hope).

I really wanted Koko, but a garaunteed 1st round pick is always good and at the rate we are going hopefully a chance at a #1 center in the coming draft and can supplement with a guy in the late first round like Lazar/Nikulischin or someone similiar.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:59 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Not to be rude, but how do you guys feel about Iginla chosing the team with the smallest return?

Bob McKenzie tweeted out that Flames brass liked the Boston deal more, but Iginla chose the Pittsburgh one instead. So he had originally said Boston was fine, but then changed his mind and chose the lowball offer that in turn screws you over.

Jeez, maybe Im just bitter, but if a homegrown guy like Bergeron ended up doing that to us I would be pretty pissed

Sorry if this pisses anyone off. I always liked Jarome and Calgary and am pretty bummed about all this

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:02 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Not to be rude, but how do you guys feel about Iginla chosing the team with the smallest return?

Bob McKenzie tweeted out that Flames brass liked the Boston deal more, but Iginla chose the Pittsburgh one instead. So he had originally said Boston was fine, but then changed his mind and chose the lowball offer that in turn screws you over.

Jeez, maybe Im just bitter, but if a homegrown guy like Bergeron ended up doing that to us I would be pretty pissed

Sorry if this pisses anyone off. I always liked Jarome and Calgary and am pretty bummed about all this
Feaster shouldn't have let the decision be Iginla's he had the list of teams Iggy was ok with. Also both offers are very comparable but Pitt offers a better chance at the cup imo and a better chance he comes back in the offseason. The offers are fairly equal as Boston's first had conditions.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:07 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

Ketch and I agree. I really liked seeing all the well-wishes from the Calgary fans before. I don't know, we are quite a bit hurt. I remember when Ray left and it was ok because we ended up with a solid return. If we didn't fetch the best return then I don't know how I would take it.

Either way, my condolences. I've always like Calgary because of Lanny.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:09 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Feaster shouldn't have let the decision be Iginla's he had the list of teams Iggy was ok with. Also both offers are very comparable but Pitt offers a better chance at the cup imo and a better chance he comes back in the offseason. The offers are fairly equal as Boston's first had conditions.
I bet Chia would have caved if he knew that he would go to Pitt over a silly condition

I still think Boston's is better. Bartkowski is pretty much useless besides his sweet owski name, but Koko is solid. You ask any Boston reporter or knowledgeable fan, and he is easily in everyone's list of top three Bruins prospects.

Meh, kind of a sad night. I seriously hope the best for you guys. I hope these guys turn out great

Old
03-28-2013, 04:10 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Ketch and I agree. I really liked seeing all the well-wishes from the Calgary fans before. I don't know, we are quite a bit hurt. I remember when Ray left and it was ok because we ended up with a solid return. If we didn't fetch the best return then I don't know how I would take it.

Either way, my condolences. I've always like Calgary because of Lanny.
Iggy choose what he thought was the best team hard to disagree when he gets to play with Crosby, apparently Boston wouldn't make the first unconditional so Calgary took the offer where they got a 1st for sure.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:11 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I bet Chia would have caved if he knew that he would go to Pitt over a silly condition

I still think Boston's is better. Bartkowski is pretty much useless besides his sweet owski name, but Koko is solid. You ask any Boston reporter or knowledgeable fan, and he is easily in everyone's list of top three Bruins prospects.

Meh, kind of a sad night. I seriously hope the best for you guys. I hope these guys turn out great
Not what I have read apparently the non conditional first was with Subban in the untouchable zone. Chia didn't believe Feaster would trade him to Pitts and was wrong, he tried to low ball Feaster and lost he will have to live with it.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:13 AM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:

Hate to comment on the flames board but I come in peace.

We had a similar situation with Sundin in leafs nation. In retrospect a player of this caliber, despite not receiving his value, is completely worth it. He is the type or player you wish will retire a Flame.

Feaster did what he could. He is a NHL GM and his back was against the wall. At least you got something for iggy. Lets just hope that your scouting staff will find a good player with this first round pick.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:

You only have Subban and Spooner as better than Koko, but Pitts has how many dmen better than both of those guys? You can't use numbers to suggest a trade is better and forget context. Hanowski was Pitts best lw prospect. Fact is, Chiarelli could have offered Spooner and it likely wouldn't have mattered in the least with the NHL centers you have going nowhere for a long time, but he didn't. He even could have offered Subban and it also would likely not have mattered with Rask in Boston for a long time, but he didn't. He also could have offered a non-conditional first, but he didn't. In the end, Iginla went where he wanted to go and you really gave Feaster no reason to argue.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:21 AM
mich25

It is what it is. I can accept Iginla decision, which I think it's clear it was. I have been around the last 4 out of the 5 Stanley Cup winning teams and can tell you that it's not the fancy names on the back of a jersey that will win you a SC. Anything is possible. I still think the Bostons deal was way better than Penguins. Have watched Koko play and he will be a great NHL player - NHL friends who played in the KHL with him are high on him as well , Bart is totally under-rated. He was last player cut from the B's training camp and is very strong defensively, the conditional 1st would have been a 1st easily - Boston would have worked out an extension. The fact is that Iginla wanted to go to the Penguins instead. He has 1 year at a shot to win the Cup instead of 3-4 if he went to Boston. Time will tell if he made the right decision.

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
You only have Subban and Spooner as better than Koko, but Pitts has how many dmen better than both of those guys? You can't use numbers to suggest a trade is better and forget context. Hanowski was Pitts best lw prospect. Fact is, Chiarelli could have offered Spooner and it likely wouldn't have mattered in the least with the NHL centers you have going nowhere for a long time, but he didn't. He even could have offered Subban and it also would likely not have mattered with Rask in Boston for a long time, but he didn't. He also could have offered a non-conditional first, but he didn't. In the end, Iginla went where he wanted to go and you really gave Feaster no reason to argue.
You really think these two no name guys are better than Subban Spooner or Koko? Not a chance

I don't know why you are thinking Boston didn't offer enough. Bob McKenzie literally tweeted that the Flames liked the Bruins offer more. And I'll give you a hint, its not because of Bartkowski.

The reason the trade didn't go down wasn't because of the damn conditional first. It was because Iginla didn't want it to. Feaster was all ready to accept it, regardless of the conditions.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
What the ****! Who the **** are these prospects. Feaster is a ****ing dumbass.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:37 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
You really think these two no name guys are better than Subban Spooner or Koko? Not a chance

I don't know why you are thinking Boston didn't offer enough. Bob McKenzie literally tweeted that the Flames liked the Bruins offer more. And I'll give you a hint, its not because of Bartkowski.

The reason the trade didn't go down wasn't because of the damn conditional first. It was because Iginla didn't want it to. Feaster was all ready to accept it, regardless of the conditions.
Again Spooner and Subban were never offered and without the 1st being unconditional the Pitt package is about as good.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:40 AM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:

You misread. I don't think either are better than Spooner or Subban. Koko is up in the air imo however. As far as what they offered, what I'm saying is, if the offer was so much better, why didn't Feaster at least ask Iggy to sleep on it? Why didn't Boston just give enough to make Feaster say, "too bad, go there or go in the summer" and let the chips fall wherever? If Pitts is so screwed next year with cap that they couldn't possibly make room for him, I'd think someone would mention that his best chance of winning and getting a new extension is with Boston and he takes it.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:41 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Again Spooner and Subban were never offered and without the 1st being unconditional the Pitt package is about as good.
Man you really don't like Khoklachev I guess. I think we will see in a few years. Like I said I hope for your guys sakes they work out, but something tells me in a few years some of you might be a little pissed when all you have to show for this trade is an extremely late 1st.

All the best gentlemen... It was a pleasure getting to know some of you that came over to Bruins-ville earlier. You will all hold a small place in my heart for the 2 hours that Jarome Iginla was a cyber-Bruin

You guys deserve better, for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
You misread. I don't think either are better than Spooner or Subban. Koko is up in the air imo however. As far as what they offered, what I'm saying is, if the offer was so much better, why didn't Feaster at least ask Iggy to sleep on it? Why didn't Boston just give enough to make Feaster say, "too bad, go there or go in the summer" and let the chips fall wherever? If Pits is so screwed next year with cap that they couldn't possibly make room for him, I'd think someone would mention that his best chance of winning is with Boston and he takes it.
I've been saying that same thing over on the Bruins board. Its pretty weird how this happened. Its like Feaster was just soooo excited to make a trade that he couldn't just sleep on it haha

Old
03-28-2013, 04:41 AM
mich25

Quote:
Disagree with you. I think everyone would agree the Boston package was better - significantly better, even Calgary's management agreed it was the best deal presented. I have friends who are players in the NHL and played with Koko - he's going to be a good NHL player. No question about it. The conditional 1st was mute really - because Boston would have offered an extension contract to Iginla. Boston was fond of Iginla and they have been for a few years, unfortunately for Boston Iginla was more fond of Pittsburgh. That's the way the cookie crumbled. You can never be sure of anything either until you have it in writing and signed!

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:43 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich25 View Post
Disagree with you. I think everyone would agree the Boston package was better - significantly better, even Calgary's management agreed it was the best deal presented. The conditional 1st was mute really - because Boston would have offered an extension contract to Iginla. Boston was fond of Iginla and they have been for a few years, unfortunately for Boston Iginla was more fond of Pittsburgh. That's the way the cookie crumbled. You can never be sure of anything either until you have it in writing and signed!
Not saying Bostons isn't better but it isn't that substantial, I would have taken Bostons but if a 1st got it done then Chia ****ed up big time.