HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Penguins look unbeatable this season

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 06:07 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

vCash: 500
A couple things I think are worth pointing out:

1) there is no team that has less use for draft picks than Pittsburgh. Crosby and Malkin are quite possibly the two best players in the NHL and they are JUST entering their prime. As we have seen this season, Pittsburgh will have very little difficulty convincing players to come play with Sid and Malkin for cap friendly contracts.

2. Iginla and Crosby - they have chemistry from the Olympics, right?

Old
03-28-2013, 06:08 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
Is the actual roster of Pittsburgh Penguins the deepest in the history?
Or at least better than was in Colorado Avalanche in 03/04?

Joe Sakic
Alex Tanguay
Milan Hejduk
Peter Forsberg
Rob Blake
Steve Konowalchuk
Paul Kariya
John-Michael Liles
Teemu Selanne
Adam Foote
Derek Morris
Martin Skoula
Karlis Skrastins
'02 red wings?

Old
03-28-2013, 06:11 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
They were supposed to win it last year too.

And in 2010.

But they have set themselves up well for a run this year. Still not sold on that defense/goaltending in the playoffs.
That's what I am thinking, especially the goaltending which was a big factor in their loss to the Flyers last season.

They are all in this season that is for sure as a number of these guys are not likely to be back next season.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:19 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Look at their defense the last 10 games. They're playing at an elite level.

Best team post lockout.
That's what happens when you fix the draft two years in a row.

And I wouldn't say "elite" considering they nearly lost to the crappy Flyers on Sunday. If it wasn't for the weak call that led to the 5 on 3 PP, their streak would be well over.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:22 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
let's be reality : a defensive minded team shuts'em down unless Malkin goes into Gretzky mode again.
I don't think so. Its just too much star power. They have:

- 2 guys capable of 50+ goal 110+ point seasons (Crosby, Malkin)

- 3 other guys capable of 40+ goals (Neal, Iginla have already done it, and Kunitz would probably do it this year)

- 3 solid 2 way players capable of scoring 25+ goals (Morrow, Sutter, and Dupuis)

- 1 elite offensive dman capable of 80 points (Letang)

- 3 solid dmen capable of 30+ points (Martin, Niskanen, and Despres)

Realistically, if they were able to stay healthy their top 6 alone would be good for about 200 goals in a season. (Crosby 40, Neal 40, Malkin 35, Iginla 30, Kunitz 30, Morrow 20). And that's a conservative estimate, seeing as how Iginla would likely pot 40+ on Crosby's wing and Kunitz is on pace for that this season.

But the real danger comes from their depth, which should be good for another 110 goals or so.
Dupuis 20 - Sutter 25 - Bennett 15
Cooke 10 - Adams 5 - Kennedy 10 Defense 25

That's a team that should score 310+ goals/yr fairly easily. Hell, they had 282 last year while missing Crosby for most of the year. Now the get him back and add Morrow and Iginla?

Honestly, that's the best top 6 I've ever seen.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Oshie97

How many unstoppable teams have let everyone down in the past, way too many to count. Hell, the Rangers were supposed to be at the start of the season...

Old
03-28-2013, 06:30 AM
zacharoni16

vCash: 50
It's just hilarious to have fans from other teams put words in pens fans mouths. Saying they should just give us the cup, and we think we are unbeatable... First of all, this team is beatable on any given day, second of all, winning streaks in the regular season don't mean anything except affecting seed level. Third of all, if you actually watch MAF he makes insane saves and can steal games, and he does it without what other teams take for granted... A strong crease clearing dman. Voulkoun can steal games as a backup goalie, and the Pens defense this year has tightened up big time

Their Goal differential is +33 they score 33 more goals than they let in...

Their last 10 games they have let in around 11 goals total from the opposing team.

Their win streak is a team effort, they don't focus on the streak, they focus on the next game.

The Pens will be a powerhouse and respectable team in the playoffs, any team they play against will make a great series.

People hoping for Crosby to get injured or Malkin seriously? If you were a true hockey fan you would never say such things... Enjoy the skill level and play from arguably the best players in the world.

People saying the Pens will lose in the first round, Idk if they will, who knows? All I can say is at least they are in the playoffs for sure, and that probably goes for more than half the people's teams they are saying bad things about the Pens..

Pens fans understand that they are blessed to have world class players, and we don't take for granted the time we get with them, and understand we won't always have them. Also, Shero knows this is the one year in a while that we can actually go all in for the cup

Take advantage, also lets get Iggy, Morrow, and Murray a cup boys!!

Lets go pens!

Old
03-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
let's be reality : a defensive minded team shuts'em down unless Malkin goes into Gretzky mode again.
From a non-fans perspective, it seems Malkin fades slightly when Crosby is in the lineup - like he's afraid to show him up or something - so he under-performs.

Scary looking team though

Old
03-28-2013, 06:33 AM
ByeBye

Well, now that this thread exists, it will be a devastating first round exit. Book it.

Have to bookmark this thread for reading later though. Where else do you get so many angry and ******** fans in just one place?

Old
03-28-2013, 06:49 AM
NastyNick

Running out of centers for these wingers. Think Mario might have to step out of retirement to anchor that third line

FWIW i am shelling out big bucks for more Pens tickets now. Whether they win the cup or not.. having a team with this much talent is a rare thing to see. Even rarer in this age of the salary cap.

Reminds me of seeing the red army team play the Penguins in the 80s.. looking at those programs now. Wow.. hall of famer, hall of famer, hall of famer..

Old
03-28-2013, 06:51 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Eh, look beatable to me unless their offense can play goalie and defense.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Xavier Laflamme*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
From a non-fans perspective, it seems Malkin fades slightly when Crosby is in the lineup - like he's afraid to show him up or something - so he under-performs.

Scary looking team though
He won an Art Ross with a healthy Sid in the lineup. He also won a Conn Smythe as well as putting up the third greatest statistical post season next to Lemieux and Gretzky as well with a healthy Sid. He'll be alright.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Xavier Laflamme*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Eh, look beatable to me unless their offense can play goalie and defense.
They've given up just 9 goals in their last 9 games. Apparently they're doing something right.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:56 AM
AK

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Morrow
Bennett-Adams/Vitale-Jeffrey

Beau Bennett's on the fourth line, and not as a demotion. What? Oh, and there's Kennedy somewhere, too.

And on defense and goaltending? The Pens have given up like nine goals in their last 10 games or something like that. Too tired to look.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:57 AM
AquaticBirdman

I love all the knocks on our defense and goaltending. Apparently people haven't been in the loop over the past 3 weeks or so.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:02 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Until the playoffs no one will know what they'll do. Fleury's still questionable plus the questions over Malkin's health persist. Getting Iginla though was huge for them.

03-28-2013, 07:06 AM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post
Said the same thing about the Hawks when they were 22-0, don't worry they cooled down just like any other team that gets hot...

They are huge cup contenders as usual but I wouldn't just hand them the cup, there's some strong teams this year that could easily beat them... How many people called the LA Kings to win the cup last year? Yeah, not many, the playoffs is all about who gets hot at the right time.. If the Penguins encounter a red-hot Devils or Rangers team in the playoffs you will quickly see how meaningless the regular season is...
Not to be a devil's advocate, and maybe it wasn't like that on forums but... Weren't the kings thought or expected to be one of the cup favourites by most people or 'exerts', etc?

What NYR is this year, except last year.

Personally I'm totally undecided, the only recent years I've called correctly well in advance were Chicago and LAK. I do think that PIT is scary, especially with Iggy now (and I hate to admit that as a Flyers fan) but I don't know if they have a cup in them this year. It sure as heck wouldn't be a suprise! I have trouble not calling them the favourite... But I would lean towards Chicago over them I think still. I've also had some belief that the Kings could be the first team in ages or repeat, or perhaps STL if they're ready yet.

anyway, it's quite a few but my most likely picks I guess would be in no order:
NYR
CHI
PIT
LAK
STL
OTT

PIT on the lower end of that.

EDIT: Perhaps a CHI > NYR final.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
I love all the knocks on our defense and goaltending. Apparently people haven't been in the loop over the past 3 weeks or so.
People will remain clueless. The Penguins arguably have a top 5 defense as well with Norris favorite Kris Letang.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
SundanceKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
They were supposed to win it last year too.

And in 2010.

But they have set themselves up well for a run this year. Still not sold on that defense/goaltending in the playoffs.
Nah they suffered way too many injuries to even consider winning those years. Be fair, bro

Old
03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
BreakfastatMarios

Hey the Pens Best team was in 1993 and the islanders beat the Pens. Anything can happen, however I do like the Penguins chances.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
ByeBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
I mean, I am a Penguins fan but I don't like how this period of very good defense and goaltending has seemed to make us a defensive juggernaut in the eyes of many fellow Pens fans. It's been good, all signs point towards the much needed improvement in that area but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Defense and goaltending will still be a question mark going into the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
failedsaucerpass

Fleury will crap his pants, again. Pens drop in the first round.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:14 AM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharoni16 View Post
It's just hilarious to have fans from other teams put words in pens fans mouths. Saying they should just give us the cup, and we think we are unbeatable... First of all, this team is beatable on any given day, second of all, winning streaks in the regular season don't mean anything except affecting seed level. Third of all, if you actually watch MAF he makes insane saves and can steal games, and he does it without what other teams take for granted... A strong crease clearing dman. Voulkoun can steal games as a backup goalie, and the Pens defense this year has tightened up big time

Their Goal differential is +33 they score 33 more goals than they let in...

Their last 10 games they have let in around 11 goals total from the opposing team.

Their win streak is a team effort, they don't focus on the streak, they focus on the next game.

The Pens will be a powerhouse and respectable team in the playoffs, any team they play against will make a great series.

People hoping for Crosby to get injured or Malkin seriously? If you were a true hockey fan you would never say such things... Enjoy the skill level and play from arguably the best players in the world.

People saying the Pens will lose in the first round, Idk if they will, who knows? All I can say is at least they are in the playoffs for sure, and that probably goes for more than half the people's teams they are saying bad things about the Pens..

Pens fans understand that they are blessed to have world class players, and we don't take for granted the time we get with them, and understand we won't always have them. Also, Shero knows this is the one year in a while that we can actually go all in for the cup

Take advantage, also lets get Iggy, Morrow, and Murray a cup boys!!

Lets go pens!
As I mentioned in my previous post, I am a life long Flyers fan, and quite honestly really, really don't want to see Pittsburgh win the cup or even win the Atlantic division. I'd rather any other team who can, do either of those things.

That said, everything he said is exactly on point. I'm sure there are super, super obnoxious Pens fans who think those things said above, or feel those ways. But if the team wasn't as good as they are, those things wouldn't be as obnoxious to hear, they'd be delusional. Not to say those beliefs would be any more correct, the point is... there is a heck of a lot of good things that can be said about the franchise and to think that even a majority of any given fan-base are going to be obnoxious about those facts is crazy to me. I have no doubt Philly has a lot of obnoxious, blood hungry, injury cheering bone-headed fans... Doesn't mean the majority of us are that way. And that reputation is partially influenced by our teams of past & current and how it affected a minority of fans.

Same situation in PIT, having Malkin & Crosby has inspired some very obnoxious thoughts, but more times than not people are just frustrated and seem to assign stereotypes to fans of a team they dislike... my two cents.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:14 AM
BalticWarrior

Just like Rangers looked unbeatable before the season,how did that turn out?

Old
03-28-2013, 07:15 AM
HatTricK09

vCash: 133
Wasn't there a thread earlier this season about how the Ranger's roster looked unbeatable too?

Closed Thread