HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Penguins look unbeatable this season

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 10:11 PM
JWells16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
5th actually....but they haven't improved their defense or goaltending.

How people can actually state this is beyond me. They're top 5 for GAA....do they have to be first for people to admit they've improved?

....actually it's just completely uneducated, uninformed, posters on here that go on assumptions and don't even watch the games or look at stats.
Shhhhh... Our defense sucks. Nothing to see here.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Dekemeister

Quote:
5th actually....but they haven't improved their defense or goaltending.

How people can actually state this is beyond me. They're top 5 for GAA....do they have to be first for people to admit they've improved?

....actually it's just completely uneducated, uninformed, posters on here that go on assumptions and don't even watch the games or look at stats.
When was the last time the Penguins played good playoff hockey and made a good transition into the playoffs? Defense and goaltending have been central to them only winning one series in the last three years. I think its completely founded to question whether anything will change this year, seeing as the back end hasn't changed much during that time.

We'll all see in about a month I guess

Old
03-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Number8

Bottom line is the Penguins are absolutely stacked.

If they win it all, no one is going to be shocked.

If they lose it all, a huge choke.

Not a terribly easy position to be in, actually. Only thing that can stand in way is if Fleury's yips from last playoffs return.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:23 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post

Not a terribly easy position to be in, actually. Only thing that can stand in way is if Fleury's yips from last playoffs return.
Last playoffs were about a hell of a lot more than just Fleury. As long as the team doesn't decide to completely forego any sort of structure or defence, Fleury (or Vokoun for the matter if Fleury is injured) will be fine.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:25 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekemeister View Post
When was the last time the Penguins played good playoff hockey and made a good transition into the playoffs? Defense and goaltending have been central to them only winning one series in the last three years. I think its completely founded to question whether anything will change this year, seeing as the back end hasn't changed much during that time.

Meh, ran into Halak/defense a few years ago. They didn't have Sid/Geno against the Bolts, and they ran into the scissors to their paper against the Flyers last year. The Pens D has actually been better (just going off of memory, may be wrong) the past few years than 07-08 and 08-09.

Bottom line: We'll see. Nothing is a given in the playoffs. The Pens are chasing their own 17 win record from 92-93... when they lost to the Isles. As a Pens fan, we can only hope that Mario is hammering this message home.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:28 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekemeister View Post

Really? Defense and goaltending was the problem against Tampa Bay?

It had nothing to do with missing Crosby, Malkin, Cooke, Jeffrey? You're right, they clearly should have won with Mark Letestu as their 1st line center, but the defense and goaltending let them down.

Or the time that Halak stood on his head the whole playoffs and beat teams himself while the Habs played rope-a-dope?

The back end hasn't changed much? Being ranked 5th in the league in GAA means nothing? The resurgence of Paul Martin? The pairing with Brooks Orpik being a solid pair? The addition of Douglas Murray (who looked great tonight btw), the addition of Simon Despres who is a stud in the making, the solid backup goaltender they've acquired? The new dzone coverage they've worked on and started to master now?

Yeah, you're right, nothing has changed. That 5th place GAA is smoke and mirrors.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

I'm not exactly sure why everyone is saying that the Penguins have not improved their defense or goaltending since last season.

Did they bring in Thomas Vokun and Doug Murray so they have someone to bring the bagels and coffee to the morning skates?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:30 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Meh, ran into Halak/defense a few years ago. They didn't have Sid/Geno against the Bolts, and they ran into the scissors to their paper against the Flyers last year. The Pens D has actually been better (just going off of memory, may be wrong) the past few years than 07-08 and 08-09.

Bottom line: We'll see. Nothing is a given in the playoffs. The Pens are chasing their own 17 win record from 92-93... when they lost to the Isles. As a Pens fan, we can only hope that Mario is hammering this message home.
Therrien had them playing excellent defense in '08. It really the only season he got them to though, he implemented a more tight checking defensive system when Crosby and Fleury went down in January '08 and they carried that all the way to the SCF. Bylsma eased up on the tight checking structure a bit in '09 but still used Therriens system for the most part. Since then, while Bylsma has shown he can coach good defence, see 2011, the Pens haves lacked structure when fully healthy. How they are playing now, completely structured and disciplined is how they need to keep playing if they want to make a splash, regardless of their roster.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:32 PM
VerySuperFamous

Well since regular season stats don't directly transfer into the playoffs than it's not proven.

Especially this shortened season with only conference play one shouldn't put too much weight in statistics. Playoffs are a completely different animal.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Last playoffs were about a hell of a lot more than just Fleury. As long as the team doesn't decide to completely forego any sort of structure or defence, Fleury (or Vokoun for the matter if Fleury is injured) will be fine.
Still got some pressure on them. Given what Shero has done (kudos to him by the way -- this mess of a trade is on Iginla/Feaster not him) anything short of he Cup has to be a fail.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

Quote:
Still got some pressure on them. Given what Shero has done (kudos to him by the way -- this mess of a trade is on Iginla/Feaster not him) anything short of he Cup has to be a fail.
I think the thing that makes Ray Shero great is that he considers any season that doesn't end with a Cup to be a failure

Old
03-28-2013, 10:34 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuperFamous View Post
Well since regular season stats don't directly transfer into the playoffs than it's not proven.

Especially this shortened season with only conference play one shouldn't put too much weight in statistics. Playoffs are a completely different animal.
Have you seen the Pens record vs the West over the last few years?

Might want to review that.

I agree, anything can happen in the playoffs, ANYTHING.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:35 PM
BeauRoger

I think we can always count on MAF to be the weakest link.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:36 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 6000
When I predicted a Jets win tonight, I didn't expect them to dress the Timbits in their place. Just an awful effort from the whole team on a night when they needed to bring it. Some brutally bad defense tonight that you don't normally see and it wasn't even caused by the Pens being aggressive or anything, they were just flat out awful all by themselves.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Personally, I think they have to win or it's a choke. You can't have that much talent, make this many moves, and not have the cup to show for it.

Kind of like my Patriots in 2007-08

Old
03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberts View Post
I'm not exactly sure why everyone is saying that the Penguins have not improved their defense or goaltending since last season.

Did they bring in Thomas Vokun and Doug Murray so they have someone to bring the bagels and coffee to the morning skates?
But Doug Murray isn't exactly good anymore. I'd go as far as saying his pickup was completely unnecessary.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
TertiaryAssist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
But Doug Murray isn't exactly good anymore. I'd go as far as saying his pickup was completely unnecessary.
No, it was necessary. We needed someone to kick ass in our crease.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberts View Post
I think the thing that makes Ray Shero great is that he considers any season that doesn't end with a Cup to be a failure
Don't get me wrong, Shero's a good GM. But lets be honest, show me a GM that has the luxury of Crosby and Malkin as a base that doesn't have that attitude and I'll show you a loser.

One day those guys will be gone and everyone will realize even more how lucky you are to have them. If Shero didn't go for it every year, you need a new GM. Make hay while the sun shines.....

Old
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

Quote:
He fills a need. Similar to Hal Gill when the Pens traded for him. Murray isn't going to be expected to shut down a top line or to play 25 minutes per game. Murray is there to clear the crease and to throw his body around.

Old
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
No, it was necessary. We needed someone to kick ass in our crease.
I... I guess. He isn't even that type of guy, either. I mean, he has a giant ass that can push people, but he isn't the rugged scrapper people think he is.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:42 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
While 1 game sample and all, he looked great tonight. But the penguins problems with defence last year wasnt personnel based, it was structure and disciplined based.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:42 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Wrong. The Pens are stacked with PMDs. We do not have a steady, stay-at-home, crease clearing defenseman in the mold of Gill or Scuderi like we did during the Cup final years.

Murray fits that bill. Not his fault the Sharks were retarded and paired him with Stuart. The Pens can insulate him with swift partners and he can stand there and block shots and lay hits all day.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
PensFever71

Quote:

This board will erupt with laughter if they don't win. Its pretty much the position they are put in.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:45 PM
VerySuperFamous

Quote:
Have you seen the Pens record vs the West over the last few years?

Might want to review that.

I agree, anything can happen in the playoffs, ANYTHING.
I meant more that a lot more east teams are top heavy, and a most teams in the west would match up better and keep the games more respectable.

Plus the shorter travel has to help everyone be better rested even with the condensed schedule.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Shero's a good GM. But lets be honest, show me a GM that has the luxury of Crosby and Malkin as a base that doesn't have that attitude and I'll show you a loser.

One day those guys will be gone and everyone will realize even more how lucky you are to have them. If Shero didn't go for it every year, you need a new GM. Make hay while the sun shines.....
Believe me, Pittsburgh Penguins fans know exactly how lucky we are. Before the Crosby/Malkin era we had a pair of players by the names of Lemieux and Jagr who could make a strong claim as the two best players in the league.

Craig Patrick felt the need to try to shake up the team every season at the trade deadline without thought to how the team was constructed. He made some very good trades and some very bad trades as a result.

Ray Shero makes trades to fill needs and build on the strengths of the roster.

But there are a lot of GM's that have very strong cores to build around. Few of them show the combination of restraint/balls that Shero has.

Closed Thread