HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CGY/PIT] Jarome Iginla for Kenneth Agostino, Ben Hanowski, 2013 1st rounder - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

vCash: 500
Wait so, this did happen? I wasn't dreaming? Dammit...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Oh. And Iggy gets an A.

Screw Orpik.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
StrongIslanders90

I called it yesterday!!! hahah PIT is going to win the cup....I hate them but Iggy and Crosby is going to be sick

Shero not messing around

Old
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich25 View Post
The only thing that bothers me is that Calgary should have been up front with the Bruins, if in fact Iginla wanted to go the Penguins all along. Something leads me to think for some reason Calgary played Boston. They shouldn't have agreed to anything with Boston verbally, which by the sounds of it seems like the case especially with Boston scratching Koko, announcing they will be holding a press conference tomorrow and so forth. I truly believe their was an agreement in place. Koko's agent tweeted that he was absolutely shocked by hearing Iginla to Pittsburgh and was sure Koko would be making his first NHL start as a Flame soon, Bart was signed to deal by the Bruins (probably at the request of Calgary), because Boston would neve have signed him otherwise (no room for him on their defense), and now they have to count that against their cap next season and do damage control with Koko. If the Bruins never really truly believed a deal was in place they would never have scratched Koko and sign Bart to a deal and announce they would be holding a press conference today....I truly believe the Bruins had a verbal confirmation/assurance from Calgary Iginla was on board too, but in reality he wasn't and changed his mind or something.
Yep-one thing missing in all this is the fact that Iginla and the flames were acting in bad faith while negotiating with the Bruins.

I am definitely bothered by the fact that it appears to have gone so far as to look like all was done except the signing of the paperwork and at the same time Feaster was still negotiating with Pittsburgh.

Feaster should have called the Bruins before they started scratching people and said 'Wait, we aren't sure the deal is going to go through, we are negotiating with another team"

But right now somehow Chia gets all the criticism, Feaster is mostly criticized because the deal is bad and Iginla gets a pass (and while I think wanting the Pens is fine, if he really only wanted to go to the Pens, then that's what he should have said-that trade deal couldn't have gotten much worse it was for essentially nothing anyway).

Old
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
zoomzoom

anyone thinks pens can sign Iggy to a contact extension?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Terrible return. Feaster should be fired immediately.
Oh, you won't have to wait long...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Good job Jarome

Old
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Why? What? How?

I went to bed thinking "Look, Octopi, you were wrong, Pittsburgh isn't some kind of evil empire that makes other teams do things. What are you, nuts?"

Wake up.Read this. "Are you freaking kidding me?"

I assume the Pens will win the Cup, in about 16-4 fashion now and it will all be about how magnificent Crosby is despite the fact they've just gotten one of the most stacked teams while noone other team has done anything of major significance. Chicago Bulls of the NHL. A player they can ram down every other fans throat for at least a decade.I'll be putting on my tin foil hat now.
Miami Heat of the NHL. They're ****ing stacked. Iginla, Morrow, Murray... ridiculous.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them." - PK Subban
He has physical charisma. When he talks he sounds like a gps device in a car. "In 500 feet, belie dat!" - NewAgeOutlaw
Old
Turrican*
Not a homer

lol Jay Fleecester

Old
rajuabju

this is truly laughable.

Calgary should just have asked for 2 1st round picks, and maybe a conditional 2nd if Iginla re-signs, instead of these midling prospects.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Pens are going to make a first round exit and I'm going to laugh.

But I'm still laughing at Feaster more
Who's going to take them out in the first round? The Rangers? The Devils?The Isles? The Canes? The Caps?Because it's almost certainly going to be one of those teams in eighth.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Leafs Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Yep-one thing missing in all this is the fact that Iginla and the flames were acting in bad faith while negotiating with the Bruins.

I am definitely bothered by the fact that it appears to have gone so far as to look like all was done except the signing of the paperwork and at the same time Feaster was still negotiating with Pittsburgh.

Feaster should have called the Bruins before they started scratching people and said 'Wait, we aren't sure the deal is going to go through, we are negotiating with another team"

But right now somehow Chia gets all the criticism, Feaster is mostly criticized because the deal is bad and Iginla gets a pass (and while I think wanting the Pens is fine, if he really only wanted to go to the Pens, then that's what he should have said-that trade deal couldn't have gotten much worse it was for essentially nothing anyway).
I'm not a Flames fan but come on....acting in bad faith? Sheesh.

I can guarantee that this stuff goes on all the time, this time the friggin media screwed up big time.

Last edited by 2525: 03-28-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: in not on
Old
SirKillalot

Woke up to this, and thought Boston would be a sure thing. Got only got one thing to say about Shero & Feaster.

Or a longer unhealthy version :

Old
KA BLAMO

vCash: 182
Feaster probably consulted with Milbury on this one.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:45 AM
DaveT83*

I love all 3 players Pitts has acquired.

Shero earning his keep.

Trades happen/don't happen all the time - no sympathy for Bruins. No sympathy for Calgary either this rebuild should have started years ago - could have got max value for Iggy then.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Lol. Dallas getting Morrow looks even better now.

Wow, Feaster...wow.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
RIP Chris Butler
Feels bad man

I'm kind of optimistic about this one. The Flames have great scouting in the NCAA. It's not a coincidence that they picked up both Gaudreau and Gilles (the finalist and runnerup for hockey east mvp) after the 4th round

Old
03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

BWahaahhahahahaha....
that is all.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
The funniest thing about this all is that people though we were out because of what we gave up for Morrow.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

you could argue Paul Gaustad got a better return

Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I called it yesterday!!! hahah PIT is going to win the cup....I hate them but Iggy and Crosby is going to be sick

Shero not messing around
this^

Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Fleury4ever

So happy he did not go to Boston, but that return is not great. Looks worse than the old Fleury trade. Calgary really does not know how to run a team. Those owners need a good GM and to get out of the way after all this.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Since1989
Bring Back Sjostrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
No i didnt. Geez. At the time of the draft even the Flames admitted its a gamble. I dont think thats a big secret.. Saying that doesnt mean he's going to bust.

Bolded part: Thats what the scouts are for. Its always a possibility that stuff wont work out no matter who the player is. But there are lots of players that are very very likely making it in the NHL. Its a combination of your abilities + attitude + how prone you are to injuries.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. They saw potential and went for it and I'm ok with that. There's a reason we're both talking behind keyboards and not working for professional sports teams making draft picks etc. Anyone can be a critic.

Scouts cannot tell the future, we both know that. They can give educated guesses, and provide insight, that's it. Success in others leagues don't = success in the NHL. If scouts were perfect at their jobs and you could absolutely predict drafts then the best players out of each draft would rank in the order that they're taken, which is never the case.

And regarding the playing it safe ordeal, the Flames organization has been 'playing it safe' since I could remember in terms of who they've been selecting. In my eyes we needed to take the risk (keep in mind at #21 not a lottery pick) for a 1C, rather than what might end up being a journeyman NHLer. Plus, we also were able to snag Sieloff while trading down, and he looks to be a total stud on the backend.

Last edited by Since1989: 03-28-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I just opened the TV this morning before my shower and saw Agostino and a 1st. Only saw the end of it and i'm like what the hell did we get cause I was so dam convinced Iggy was going to Boston. Couldn't believe it when I saw it after, woke up the wife
that's the same way I found out about it.

Took a second to realize that Agostino was a Pens' prospect, then it kicked in that a 1st was also dealt. I thought maybe that Shero dealt for somebody that was off everybody else's radar since Iginla was all but traded to Boston last night...or not.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I thought the nba and mlb were the only sports where you could buy your way to the championship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
02 Red Wings say hi.
Hmm. It was more of:

- Trade LW Slava Kozlov + 1st <> G Dominik Hasek
- Waive G Chris Osgood
- Sign UFA LW Luc Robitaille to replace LW Kozlov.

- Then let 27-goal scorer RW Martin Lapointe walk for free agency (signed for Boston for 5 million per year for 4 years)
- Signed 37-year old RW Brett Hull for 2-years, 4.5 million per year (got him cheaper than Lapointe got from Boston) and Hull was signed almost two months after the free agency begin, when other organizations weren't interested.

- Larry Murphy (Nicklas Lidström's partner for last 4 and half years) retired.
- Signed 35-year-old UFA Fredrik Olausson to play with Lidström.

- 2nd line RW Pat Verbeek was let walk.
- 3rd line RW Doug Brown was let walk.
- 4th line/depth C Brent Gilchrist was let walk.
- Promoted prospect C Pavel Datsyuk to playing roster.
- Promoted youngster LW Boyd Devereaux from depth forward to playing roster.
- Promoted prospect RW Jason Williams to depth player.

What really happened during the season, was Pavel Datsyuk effort as an organizational growth that enabled to put one centerman (injured Yzerman) to wing to replace the spot was left from Verbeek.

So it's not just that Detroit "bought all star players players from the world" and Championship. They also let many valuable pieces go to make a total shakeup, guys like Murphy, Lapointe, Kozlov, Osgood, Verbeek, Brown and replaced them piece by piece from free agency, from prospect pool and by trades.

It was overall building, not buying a championship.

Closed Thread