HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[CGY/PIT] Jarome Iginla for Kenneth Agostino, Ben Hanowski, 2013 1st rounder - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
cpsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
God damn, Iggy is classy.
+1
This guy is the definition of the perfect captain. Have always had tremendous amounts of respect for this guy. Coming from an Oilers fan.

EDIT: although he kinda did screw over the flames by choosing pitts haha

Old
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
So Iggy screwed the Flames and there fans, Why is nobody saying a word about that.

If he provided a list of 5 teams,
1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. LA
4. Detroit
5. Chicago

Then that is all the say he should have, The team should be allowed to get the best Deal PERIOD. Thats B.S. from the player and agent.

If it was Pittsburgh all along, why have the list....of 5.
He could've just refused, he didn't have a limited NTC, he had a NMC, big difference. This clause gave him the power to refuse any trade, he chose PIT over BOS, big friggin deal.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGuest View Post
Don't understand why Feaster has to make the trade a week before the deadline. If he hold on longer would he get more in return for Iginla? Teams tend to get desperate when it get closer to the deadline.
If Iginla said he only wanted to go to the Pens, they may have traded all of their assets before the deadline. Feaster had to get in their while there was still an opportunity to do so. If anything, Feaster would have been better off making the trade earlier, prior to the Morrow acquisition.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGuest View Post
Don't understand why Feaster has to make the trade a week before the deadline. If he hold on longer would he get more in return for Iginla? Teams tend to get desperate when it get closer to the deadline.

And this is the take of this trade from Puck Daddy:
"Feaster’s getting roasted like a suckling pig for this return for Iginla."
That is the only thing I don't get
If Iggy was set on the Pens that is fine I get that and it makes Feaster's bargaining situation with the Pens that hard to get a good return
But why pull the trade so early? Trade deadline was still approx 6 days away
Lots of things could happen during this team that could help the Flames bargaining position (injuries to Pens players, other teams in the East making big trades to put pressure on the pens etc). This puts pressure on the Pens to close the deal with Iggy and change the deal to benefit the Flames more. Stupid Feaster and Flames management - no patience apparently.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
So i wonder if Kipper still won't report if traded.
Sounds more and more like Kipper might be retiring after this season.

In which case it's unlikely he wants to make a move.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
mlm

kinda?

Old
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If Iginla said he only wanted to go to the Pens, they may have traded all of their assets before the deadline. Feaster had to get in their while there was still an opportunity to do so. If anything, Feaster would have been better off making the trade earlier, prior to the Morrow acquisition.
Also a good point
Hadn't thought of that in my previous point but still
Considering the return we got...

Old
Martyros
Allow me to retort

I don't see why anyone would laugh at Feaster for this trade. He ultimately wanted to go to Pittsburgh only, and he got atleast a 1st round pick to boot.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Tapu Debe
Serene Grace

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
He looks like he's had the weight of the world lifted off his shoulders.
Definitely. Good for him.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:02 PM
JeffPeppers
ξ •_,•)

Does this make sense as a pure rental? pens didn't want to give up way too much for a player going back to calgary immediately after the season.

i think i've heard this was totally illegal, but whatevs.. hes not getting younger on a team that needs to rebuild. i don't know all of the ins/outs/legalities for trades.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

"I knew Pittsburgh was in the mix with Boston, really hard up to a chance to play with Malkin and Sid. I was very fortunate that the three teams were making a pitch. All great teams. I wanted it to be a mutual thing (mutually beneficial for Iginla and CGY).

I would never rule anything out (with regard to playing for CGY again). As far as living here, I don't know where I'll be playing after this year, but it's definitely become home, it would be hard to leave.

With regard to what he'd like his legacy to be in CGY: "I loved competing, I loved playing the game, and had fun. I love competing and battling. Hopefully that is what some fans will remember. I'm very thankful for the years (in Calgary)."

~Iginla

03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
MFSorcerer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPeppers View Post
Does this make sense as a pure rental? pens didn't want to give up way too much for a player going back to calgary immediately after the season.

i think i've heard this was totally illegal, but whatevs.. hes not getting younger on a team that needs to rebuild. i don't know all of the ins/outs/legalities for trades.

What on Earth would make this trade illegal?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Homesick

vCash: 2259
Quote:
Iggy earned what right? if it was Pittsburgh all along, why dangle other teams to Feaster.

Look I think Feaster is an IDIOT and a hypocrite. But he was obviously in a bind here. and I hate when players and there agents do this crap.
The Flames put themselves in this situation by giving Iginla a NTC. Iginla probably said my first choice is PIT but if they arent interested, my second choices are...... Don't doubt for a second that Iginla and Crosby werent talking before hand(Obviously Crosby would be relaying info to Shero)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
God damn, Iggy is classy.
I know. I just wish he would end it with the double finger salute and "**** you Calgary"

Old
03-28-2013, 12:05 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 1307
How can anyone not love this guy, I'll never know. Just seems like the most genuine human being.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Iggy earned what right? if it was Pittsburgh all along, why dangle other teams to Feaster.

Look I think Feaster is an IDIOT and a hypocrite. But he was obviously in a bind here. and I hate when players and there agents do this crap.
If you think Feaster did not know Iginla's true intentions, you are very naive.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:07 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

I hope someone asks "setting up the play."

Old
03-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Signature
Real Maple Syrup™

vCash: 50
Ah man, I lost it a little when he was talking about the kind of teams the Flames have had, and he said, "we", but them he realized his mistake, stumbled a little, and said "the Flames" and it was just so :[

Old
03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
I don't see why anyone would laugh at Feaster for this trade. He ultimately wanted to go to Pittsburgh only, and he got atleast a 1st round pick to boot.
Seriously...this thread is ridiculous.

1) Calgary did not merely trade their "franchise player". They traded their franchise player at AGE 35 and as a rental. Iginla is now 2 years remove from a PPG season. Anyone who watched him this year can see he has lost a step. He's still good, but cannot carry a team anymore.

2) People are blasting Feaster for not negotiating enough. People are also blasting him for negotiating too much with Boston. If Iggy said he only wanted to go to Pitts, then Feaster made exactly the right move. Create the illusion that it's a bidding war. And no, you don't just lie down and exclude all other teams from a bidding war becasue they are your "business partners". That's not how business works. So obvious that people here have zero negotiating experience. Good luck people negotiating your next car loan or mortgage payment, if you think that's how the real world works.

3) Feaster had very little room here. NMC. Iggy wanted Pitts. What was he suppossed to do?

4) The prospects Feaster got were fairly solid. It was obvious that Pitts was going to give up a top prospects, so he used his scouting staff to dig into their prospect pool to look for diamonds in the ruff. Solid job at gaining value in a tight situation.

5) Feaster doesn't get to call the shots when it comes to trading Iggy. The owners, Iggy, management, etc... are all involved.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
JeffPeppers
ξ •_,•)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSorcerer View Post
What on Earth would make this trade illegal?
not the trade, but the wink wink of a rental.. isn't that kind of frowned upon now?
like i said, i dont know all of the rules

Old
03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
The Flames put themselves in this situation by giving Iginla a NTC.
When Iginla was given a NTC, he was a world class player in his prime taking a discount. They didn't put themselves in any situation. That's what players of that calibre get.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Homesick

vCash: 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
+1
This guy is the definition of the perfect captain. Have always had tremendous amounts of respect for this guy. Coming from an Oilers fan.

EDIT: although he kinda did screw over the flames by choosing pitts haha
Not really. I'm watching this presser and I think Iginla has let it slip that he's coming back in the off season

Old
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
not the trade, but the wink wink of a rental.. isn't that kind of frowned upon now?
it's called Keith Tkachuk-ing. as opposed to Ray Bourque-ing. doesn't seem illegal.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Signature
Real Maple Syrup™

Quote:
If you don't know, I'd like to introduce you to Google where you can look all of that information up yourself and much more before you post, so that you can form a more informed opinion before hitting 'Submit Post'.

Rental players have been happening since the advent of professional sports. Every team involved, not just Pittsburgh but anyone who wanted to make an offer to the Flames knew what they were about to get.

Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti of the Flow View Post
Seriously, what does this mean? How is he classy? For saying the default press conference things?
If you can't see how genuine he is from this presser, there is no point explaining it.

Quote:
This is correct. The rest isn't.

Old
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

"I'd like to play for five more years." ~Iginla

Closed Thread