HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ramifications of false news from Aaron Ward? (Not a thread about the trade of Iginla)

Old
03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Bo Hunter
Registered Schmoozer

vCash: 50
Has anyone been able to take Aaron Ward seriously since this embarrassment of a shift:

Bo Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
sobrio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Well, given Chiarelli was told at noon that the deal was done, and then couldn't get Feaster to return a phone call, it was probably far less a done deal in the evening when those tweets came out then it was during the day.

This is all Feaster's fault.
Probably not the best analogy but if I've been told I've been hired by a company and then they won't return my calls I'm likely to think there's a chance things are not proceeding as planned. Do I blame the prospective employer if I run and around and tell everyone I've been hired?

I think the responsibility lies squarely on the backs of the Bruins front office.

sobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
madinsomniac

Look in the instant media world this is going to happen a lot, get used to it. In the past, when things like this happened there was time to get confirmation and potentially retract a statement before it went worldwide... nowadays, things are reported on second and are all over the world in a minute or so. Its just the nature of the business... The Pens have had the rug pulled out from them with Hossa, Jagr, and Parise lately in simular circumstances. Its going to happen... just learn to live with it.

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENuck View Post
Probably not the best analogy but if I've been told I've been hired by a company and then they won't return my calls I'm likely to think there's a chance things are not proceeding as planned. Do I blame the prospective employer if I run and around and tell everyone I've been hired?

I think the responsibility lies squarely on the backs of the Bruins front office.
The analogy would be better if it wasn't you doing the "running around", but rather someone who we're not aware of. Given the timing of Ward's remarks, it couldn't have been Chiarelli that was leaking the rumors.

Even in your analogy, that prospective employer was unprofessional and dickish.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

When the GM comes out and says he thought they had a deal, you can't blame Ward, he clearly had sources inside the Bruins team, and as far as they (including the GM!) were concerned the deal was made.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Boromir Jagr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
Look in the instant media world this is going to happen a lot, get used to it. In the past, when things like this happened there was time to get confirmation and potentially retract a statement before it went worldwide... nowadays, things are reported on second and are all over the world in a minute or so. Its just the nature of the business... The Pens have had the rug pulled out from them with Hossa, Jagr, and Parise lately in simular circumstances. Its going to happen... just learn to live with it.
that's a horrible attitude to have. nobody should "just learn to live with" the media misrepresenting rumors as facts and making money off of it. that's exactly why the profession has eroded over the last decade. people aren't being held to any sort of standard.

Boromir Jagr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Lacaar

There's many types of people in the world as you'll see in responses in this thread.

There's the ones that stand back.. put themselves in other peoples shoes that come away with the conclussion.. **** happens.

Then there's those who for whatever reason have a stick up their ass too. Who will come on here and vent and say he should be fired/repromanded/lose credibility. 9/10 of them wouldn't have the balls to say it to his face though. Go internet.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir Jagr View Post
that's a horrible attitude to have. nobody should "just learn to live with" the media misrepresenting rumors as facts and making money off of it. that's exactly why the profession has eroded over the last decade. people aren't being held to any sort of standard.
When the GM says he thought they had a deal, it's not misrepresenting runors, it's reporting the facts. As far as anyone withing the Bruins organization was concerned the deal was made. What was Ward supposed to do? Ignore everyone in Boston and wait before announcing?

Old
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
The analogy would be better if it wasn't you doing the "running around", but rather someone who we're not aware of. Given the timing of Ward's remarks, it couldn't have been Chiarelli that was leaking the rumors.

Even in your analogy, that prospective employer was unprofessional and dickish.
Who knows for sure other than the insiders?

Feaster had to go along with the player's final say. If he cut communications as is being claimed it's because the negotiations were going in a different direction.

sobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
go_leafs_go02

It happens, although I noticed throughout the night that TSN staff pointed to Ward to confirming it, rather than McKenzie saying "done deal" or anything.

Iggy stopped this from happening, although those defining Ward from TSN are doing brand damage control.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Boromir Jagr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
When the GM says he thought they had a deal, it's not misrepresenting runors, it's reporting the facts. As far as anyone withing the Bruins organization was concerned the deal was made. What was Ward supposed to do? Ignore everyone in Boston and wait before announcing?
He's supposed to confirm it with other people or qualify it by saying it's not a done deal. He didn't report a fact, I can't believe you're even debating this. He reported a rumor as fact and was wrong.

I'm not even placing this all on him. Everyone who wrote articles using him as a source should catch hell, too. It's just bad reporting. It's a product of faux-journalism introduced by the blogging generation and it's resulted in lowered journalistic standards.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
MessierII

He's a horrible analyst anyways. I've been hoping for them to be rid of him for a while.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:36 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
He's supposed to confirm it with other people or qualify it by saying it's not a done deal. He didn't report a fact, I can't believe you're even debating this. He reported a rumor as fact and was wrong.

I'm not even placing this all on him. Everyone who wrote articles using him as a source should catch hell, too. It's just bad reporting. It's a product of faux-journalism introduced by the blogging generation and it's resulted in lowered journalistic standards.
If you had asked Chiarelli last night if it was a done deal he would have said yes. Once a GM says the deal is done you don't need other sources, it's pretty damn credible...

Old
03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

Quote:
If you had asked Chiarelli last night if it was a done deal he would have said yes. Once a GM says the deal is done you don't need other sources, it's pretty damn credible...
100%.

I don't know how more credible you need aside from the Iginla literally wearing a Bruins jersey receiving a pass from Bergeron to say "Confirmed: Iginla is a Bruin.

In the end, only Iginla knew that he was going to choose Pittsburgh over Boston. You can't really blame Feaster, Chia, Ward or anyone. Iginla has served the Flames organization for years. He deserves to make his choice.

MildlyAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyAwesome View Post
100%.

I don't know how more credible you need aside from the Iginla literally wearing a Bruins jersey receiving a pass from Bergeron to say "Confirmed: Iginla is a Bruin.

In the end, only Iginla knew that he was going to choose Pittsburgh over Boston. You can't really blame Feaster, Chia, Ward or anyone. Iginla has served the Flames organization for years. He deserves to make his choice.
Forget that, we don't need to add stuff like honor and duty to this, he had a NTC, he can decide to waive it to go to Pitts, like anyone else would have done. End of story.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Boston thought they had Iggy till the last minute. Who do you think was Ward's contact? Blame the Bruins for what he did instead.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Boromir Jagr*

Quote:
~~~~~THAT DOESN'T MATTER~~~~~

you shouldn't report fiction as fact and he didn't confirm it or qualify it. he did report fiction as fact, just like everyone else did when they sourced him. it's BAD, LAZY journalism and leads to things like this.

i'm truly sorry you apparently have zero standards.

If boston's GM told you Iginla farts marshmallows and rides a unicorn to the rink would you believe it? apparently so.

Last edited by Boromir Jagr*: 03-28-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:

you shouldn't report fiction as fact and he didn't confirm it or qualify it. he did report fiction as fact, just like everyone else did when they sourced him. it's BAD, LAZY journalism and leads to things like this.

Reporter A decides to report rumors that Iginla is now a Bruin following Ward's comment. He decides to call Boston's front office to get confirmation, as far as the front office is concerned the deal is done, they have no reason to lie, so they confirm it. Journalist A then reports that Iginla's on his way to Boston. Who's to blame?

Old
03-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Hagman Klugman

Quote:

If boston's GM told you Iginla farts marshmallows and rides a unicorn to the rink would you believe it? apparently so.
This is a prime example of completely lame reporting, not just tsn for breaking the story, but for all the other media's that don't actually do any reporting except googleing the internet.

Hagman Klugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Boromir Jagr*

Quote:

Reporter A decides to report rumors that Iginla is now a Bruin following Ward's comment. He decides to call Boston's front office to get conformation, as far as the front office is concerned the deal is done, they have no reason to lie, so they confirm it. Journalist A then reports that Iginla's on his way to Boston. Who's to blame?
all of them? it's lazy journalism. just because some blowhard in the front office says they think a deal is done doesn't mean a deal is done. it means they think a deal is done. it's easy to think things, i think lots of things. i think this conversation is absurd because you're trying to debate whether iginla being traded to boston is a fact. is he on boston right now? you mean he isn't? well i guess it doesn't take encyclopedia brown to solve that mystery. apparently thinking things is different than actual things happening in reality land here on spaceship planet earth.

and this applies to everyone else. just because aaron ward says he thinks something happened doesn't mean that something happened. once again, lazy journalism. all because they want hits and ad revenue. like i said, sorry you have zero standards for your media intake, but i do.

and it's not about getting some guy fired or crucifying him. it's about wanting quality, accurate reporting. i don't think that's too much to ask for. it was expected once upon a time.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:16 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:

Quote:
all of them? it's lazy journalism. just because some blowhard in the front office says they think a deal is done doesn't mean a deal is done. it means they think a deal is done. it's easy to think things, i think lots of things. i think this conversation is absurd because you're trying to debate whether iginla being traded to boston is a fact. is he on boston right now? you mean he isn't? well i guess it doesn't take encyclopedia brown to solve that mystery. apparently thinking things is different than actual things happening in reality land here on spaceship planet earth.

and this applies to everyone else. just because aaron ward says he thinks something happened doesn't mean that something happened. once again, lazy journalism. all because they want hits and ad revenue. like i said, sorry you have zero standards for your media intake, but i do.

and it's not about getting some guy fired or crucifying him. it's about wanting quality, accurate reporting. i don't think that's too much to ask for. it was expected once upon a time.
You're acting as if a team's GM isn't a credible source regarding trades involving his team.... How don't you see that if a GM says "I have made a deal", you don't need a second source...

Old
03-28-2013, 03:18 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

This isn't a problem that is isolated.

The problem has been ongoing for years, now that we have the internet and now Twitter.

Everyone wants to be 1st, but they're not willing to wait to be right.

From all the testimony that has come out since, Ward wasn't right to say it was done. Ciarelli knew it wasn't done.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Boromir Jagr*

Quote:
You're acting as if a team's GM isn't a credible source regarding trades involving his team.... How don't you see that if a GM says "I have made a deal", you don't need a second source...
here i will give you an example of why you need a second source, let me paint you a picture

it happened long ago in 2013 involving a man named jarome iginla, when a boston GM thought he had a trade done, but it turns out thinking trades are done is a lot different than trades actually being done

Old
03-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He said that today, no one knows Ward's sources.

But given Chiarelli's explanation of things falling apart because of the silence on the Flames' side, it seems improbably that he got it straight from the horses mouth.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
Lol this 100 pct, how is this a thread?

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote