HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins acquire D Douglas Murray from Sharks for 2013 2nd, 2014 conditional 2nd

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 01:37 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Penguins acquire D Douglas Murray from Sharks for 2013 2nd, 2014 conditional 2nd

Continue here.

Remember folks - no personal attacks.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Holy mother of christ. I saw a new thread & clicked on it while barely glancing at the title and I misread "Douglas" as "Despres." I nearly **** myself.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:42 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Depres for Gonchar!

Old
03-26-2013, 01:42 PM
johnniewalker

Love the trade. I can't wait to see him in action. The price may have been a little higher than I would have hoped, but he brings something this team needs and will be a great piece for the playoffs. I would much rather have Doug Murray when matching up against a physical opponent in the playoffs than Bortuzzo.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I love this deal!

LGP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Holy mother of christ. I saw a new thread & clicked on it while barely glancing at the title and I misread "Douglas" as "Despres." I nearly **** myself.

Soon™

Old
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Love the trade. I can't wait to see him in action. The price may have been a little higher than I would have hoped, but he brings something this team needs and will be a great piece for the playoffs. I would much rather have Doug Murray when matching up against a physical opponent in the playoffs than Bortuzzo.
Same. Maybe a bit of an overpayment but I'm not at all attached to 2nd round draft picks and Murray addresses a need. I'm hoping he fits in the way Hal Gill did...pylon elsewhere, key piece here.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit. I could easily see him as a key component in a big move.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive
So with as furious as people are about Joe Morrow being moved, they'd have been ok with moving him for a guy who had done nothing the entire first half of the year and was a healthy scratch before he turned it around? Or moving him this past summer for a guy who was a healthy scratch for the Blues last year? It's easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight.
I sure as **** would rather Shero moved Morrow for Seto or Stew over an old rental in B Morrow. It's really not hard to understand why.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit. I could easily see him as a key component in a big move.
Meh, I thought with the way Shero was talking during the press conference addressing the Morrow for Morrow swap it seemed like Despres would be staying with the team. He was specifically asked if he thought Despres would feel like he could relax because he wouldn't need to worry about Morrow being right behind him for a spot on the team & he said a lot of complimentary things about Simon and he doesn't need to feel like there are footsteps behind him. Anything is possible though.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I sure as **** would rather Shero moved Morrow for Seto or Stew over an old rental in B Morrow. It's really not hard to understand why.
Roster players are worth infinitely more than picks/prospects for contending teams.

Old
WVP

Quote:
Are those guys available?

Old
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Right, I get that. But I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about when they were healthy scratches and were playing poorly. You may be the exception but somehow I don't think trading Morrow for either of them at the point where their value was the lowest would have gone over much better overall than trading him for Brenden Morrow did. In fact there were several Seto to Pittsburgh trade threads in the main forum while he was on his skid and the overwhelming consensus was that not only did we not want to trade a prospect like Morrow (or Despres, his name was dropped a bit) for him, many didn't want him for free.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68
I think everyone was surprised by the deal. We all thought his value was higher. However, I think most have realized that his potential may not have been what we thought. I don't think anything thinks he wasn't good to begin with, I think people just think that we overvalued him if Shero moved him for so little.
I think this is what people think (Shero didn't value Morrow as much as his other prospects), but I seriously doubt that. Knowing Dallas' farm like I do, they needed a potential PP QB and I am willing to bet that JN held firm on either Morrow or DP. Shero then had to choose between those two guys, and DP has rare puck moving skills, was a #8 overall, and Shero simply valued him more.

JN I'm very certain could of just said I need Morrow or DP.... No? Ok well I have Chirelli on the other line...

People trying to put Morrow down now either never saw him play, or are doing it to make themselves feel better. As I said, it wasn't just Pens fans who saw Morrow's talent. Even on here a guy I really respect, Renegade Stylings, thought very highly of him. Independent scouts also had glowing reports about him this Summer and a number of people I know who follow the W and the A, who aren't Pens fans.

I've seen a few people suggest Morrow struggled in his own end in the A, so he lost value. That's total BS, because Despres was just as big a mess when he came into the A.

There are only about 5 "A" level prospects in the entire league, so no, Morrow wasn't an "A" level prospect, but he has a very high ceiling and the talent to reach it I think.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Are those guys available?
Ding ding ding! I'm wondering how many times this will need to be asked in this thread before it really sinks in.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Ding ding ding! I'm wondering how many times this will need to be asked in this thread before it really sinks in.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post

Old
03-26-2013, 02:20 PM
SweetStache

Nice pick up, Murray certainly adds a physical element to our D.

I'm not super upset by the price as I heard Carolina was after him as well. I do wonder if J. Morrow and 2 seconds could have been spent elsewhere (Iginla) but one thing is certain, we are a better team going fwd because of these moves.

It seems we still have some valuable assets and a roster player that needs moved...

Old
03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

I don't know, im a little bit iffy on this trade. Apparently Murray has been terrible for a while. I just hope he gets limited minutes and has a specialized role for this team on the pk.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Til the End of Time

OK, so murray has sucked this year, maybe longer. fine.

the real question i need answered is how has he been recently in the postseason? he was good in the postseason a few years ago in their run to the WCF. but more recently? does he take advantage of the increased leniency of the refs in the playoffs, as hal gill did? does he obstruct and make borderline hits that escape the refs attention? i hope so, because otherwise the pens defense is devoid of such players, and filled with players (letang, niskanen, martin) who get rattled by a hard forecheck that occurs in the playoffs.

pens need more playoff-style d-men. i hope murray is one such player.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
You generally make those type of trades in the offseason. Those kind of players will be available then. Will we have Joe Morrow as a chip to trade then? No.

So that argument is misleading and kind of dumb.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
OK, so murray has sucked this year, maybe longer. fine.

the real question i need answered is how has he been recently in the postseason? he was good in the postseason a few years ago in their run to the WCF. but more recently? does he take advantage of the increased leniency of the refs in the playoffs, as hal gill did? does he obstruct and make borderline hits that escape the refs attention? i hope so, because otherwise the pens defense is devoid of such players, and filled with players (letang, niskanen, martin) who get rattled by a hard forecheck that occurs in the playoffs.

pens need more playoff-style d-men. i hope murray is one such player.
historically, he's done most of what you've said - obstructing and holding, taking full advantage of the 'increased leniency' - he may be built like a truck, but he's very cerebral.

one thing i will note, there's a lot of people talking about the Sharks 4th ranked PK. i attribute that to the coaching of Larry Robinson. last year they had the second worst PK in the playoffs (after us!!!). Murray was second in TOI for that unit (after Marc-Édouard Vlasic). his mere presence is not going to 'magically' improve the PK - he has the ability to clear the crease and play big PK units, as to whether the PK unit will improve that's going to be more related to Bylsma than to the personnel.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
historically, he's done most of what you've said - obstructing and holding, taking full advantage of the 'increased leniency' - he may be built like a truck, but he's very cerebral.

one thing i will note, there's a lot of people talking about the Sharks 4th ranked PK. i attribute that to the coaching of Larry Robinson. last year they had the second worst PK in the playoffs (after us!!!). Murray was second in TOI for that unit (after Marc-Édouard Vlasic). his mere presence is not going to 'magically' improve the PK - he has the ability to clear the crease and play big PK units, as to whether the PK unit will improve that's going to be more related to Bylsma than to the personnel.
He doesn't have to single handedly rescue the penalty kill. Just clear the crease. Injure aanyone who dares to park there. If he can do that it would be enough. And far more than we have seen in years.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
He doesn't have to single handedly rescue the penalty kill. Just clear the crease. Injure aanyone who dares to park there. If he can do that it would be enough. And far more than we have seen in years.
i agree completely. your 'few inches of the ice' theory of acquisition makes a lot of sense. Shero paid through the nose for it, but at least he got guys who aren't just capable to screening the goalie and clearing the crease, he's gotten guys who have made a career out of those roles.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Does anyone know the story behind the nickname Crankshaft?

Old
03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erz8771 View Post
Does anyone know the story behind the nickname Crankshaft?
he's refused to reveal the full origin of the nickname. which makes it that much better.

Quote:
San Jose defenseman Douglas "Crankshaft" Murray -- Murray wouldn't reveal the full story behind his nickname, but he is an energetic defenseman for the Sharks and contributes in all three zones.

"I have a lot of energy and I have to keep everyone going," Murray said. "It comes from me having a lot of energy. My former teammate, Grant Stevenson, came up with it when we used to live together."
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=474988

Closed Thread