HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News From Around the League - Part XL

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I was reading something like a month ago about how he already retired?
when Kovy went down he was waiting for the phone to ring but then Lou opted for Sullivan as the devils retread.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
when Kovy went down he was waiting for the phone to ring but then Lou opted for Sullivan as the devils retread.
Why do I not even doubt this might have actually happened?

Old
04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Why do I not even doubt this might have actually happened?
Him and Arnott got together and had $100 bill under each other's phone on trade deadline day.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Him and Arnott got together and had $100 bill under each other's phone on trade deadline day.
I'm sure it won't be long before we hear about Arnott retiring next. Once he failed that physical with the Rangers, I pretty much figured he was done too.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Post is reporting that the Islanders are currently focus grouping possible rebranding for their move to Brooklyn including new colors and maybe new logo. Head of Barclay's wants to adopt the Nets new color scheme "black and white" to the Isles...so someone created a concept for that http://www.icethetics.info/storage/c...=1365067515841

WTF?!? Bring the fisherman back before going black and white. Yuck.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:19 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

absolutely disgusting

Old
04-30-2013, 05:42 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Post is reporting that the Islanders are currently focus grouping possible rebranding for their move to Brooklyn including new colors and maybe new logo. Head of Barclay's wants to adopt the Nets new color scheme "black and white" to the Isles...so someone created a concept for that http://www.icethetics.info/storage/c...=1365067515841

The creator of that image knows that Callahan does NOT play for the Isles right...?

edit- Unless it's a different Callahan but... uh.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:44 PM
AsherDoodle

Nashville gave Patric Hornqvist a five-year, $21.25 million extension.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
04-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherDoodle View Post
Nashville gave Patric Hornqvist a five-year, $21.25 million extension.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
I'd take him over Clarky any day. Lou better not give him more than this.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:52 PM
battlingBard56

I know the Wild isn't anybody's bandwagon around here, but something's up with Backstrom.

RT @ChrisKuc: Wild goaltender Niklas Backstrom had to be helped down the tunnel into the Wild dressing room. #Blackhawks

He was diagnosed with MS earlier this season. I REALLY hope this has nothing to do with it. Please be okay Backstrom.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:54 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
I know the Wild isn't anybody's bandwagon around here, but something's up with Backstrom.

RT @ChrisKuc: Wild goaltender Niklas Backstrom had to be helped down the tunnel into the Wild dressing room. #Blackhawks

He was diagnosed with MS earlier this season. I REALLY hope this has nothing to do with it. Please be okay Backstrom.
Harding has MS. Backstrom just looked like he pulled something in warm-ups and won't be playing tonight.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:

It was Harding that was diagnosed with MS

Old
04-30-2013, 07:00 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Harding has MS. Backstrom just looked like he pulled something in warm-ups and won't be playing tonight.
Now I feel really stupid. UGH. That is a bad bard. BAD BARD

I am very sorry.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:02 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:

Harding has MS.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:12 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Harding has MS.
See the comment I just posted. Made a mistake.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I really like Josh Harding, and I feel terrible rooting against him.

Take it easy on them Hawks, but win!

Old
04-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Scott04

Quote:

Thankfully its pretty safe to say that's the last logo they would ever adopt. If they went with that, its like they're accepting being like a minor league/farm team for the Brooklyn Nets. Its literally ripping off their logo but in a crappy watered down kind of way (like you would expect a AA or AAA baseball team to do with the major league club). It would be branding suicide for them to consider that, so you know they'll never do it. Using a similar color scheme could happen, but i really don't see it. They may alter their colors a bit, but I doubt anything too drastic. Maybe changing the shade, and/or introducing black as more of a 3rd color at most.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Thankfully its pretty safe to say that's the last logo they would ever adopt. If they went with that, its like they're accepting being like a minor league/farm team for the Brooklyn Nets. Its literally ripping off their logo but in a crappy watered down kind of way (like you would expect a AA or AAA baseball team to do with the major league club). It would be branding suicide for them to consider that, so you know they'll never do it. Using a similar color scheme could happen, but i really don't see it. They may alter their colors a bit, but I doubt anything too drastic. Maybe changing the shade, and/or introducing black as more of a 3rd color at most.
Well there seems to be some divide on what they should do. Wang is on record saying he doesn't want logo changes, or color changes. He is handing business operations over to Barcley's management team, and their CEO is apparently going to recommend a full re branding. Here is a quote

"Yormark, at the conference with Wang, without mentioning his study, said, “The colors black and white are the new badge of honor in Brooklyn. The question is, can we weave that into the [Islanders] color scheme, and create a connection to the fans here in Brooklyn?”"

My guess is that is why they are doing these focus groups. In some attempt to convince Wang to go along with a large rebranding. I agree with you that going the black and white route would be beyond stupid. I already hate their garbage bag third jerseys as is. Apparently they are also weighing with the idea of removing the orange completely and going for a Brooklyn Dodgers look.

Also for fun the Post did their OWN version of the Isles new Brooklyn unis. Note our good friend Moose in the background

Old
04-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Well there seems to be some divide on what they should do. Wang is on record saying he doesn't want logo changes, or color changes. He is handing business operations over to Barcley's management team, and their CEO is apparently going to recommend a full re branding. Here is a quote

"Yormark, at the conference with Wang, without mentioning his study, said, “The colors black and white are the new badge of honor in Brooklyn. The question is, can we weave that into the [Islanders] color scheme, and create a connection to the fans here in Brooklyn?”"

My guess is that is why they are doing these focus groups. In some attempt to convince Wang to go along with a large rebranding. I agree with you that going the black and white route would be beyond stupid. I already hate their garbage bag third jerseys as is.

Also for fun the Post did their OWN version of the Isles new Brooklyn unis. Note our good friend Moose in the background
They definitely need some form of a re-branding because I just don't see them gaining full acceptance otherwise (unless they already have a large contingent of Brooklyn supporters, but I doubt it). The blue/orange color scheme just screams more of a Long Island/Queens type thing. Its always been them and the Mets in those areas, and the same color scheme can keep that kind of a connection. Need to do something different if they really want to appeal in Brooklyn.

I think going to black and white is too dramatic for them. But I think they also need to worry about keeping some unique look to them. If they go with black and white, are they going to keep enough of a visual distinction from the Kings? Probably not. And especially with them being more of a national focus thanks to their prominence (and that trophy they sadly won last year), those are the natural comparisons that will be made. Can't drop the blue because an orange/black color scheme can be reminiscent of the Flyers, halloween (and Rick DiPietro's scary contract), and parking cones. Not the ideal. They could probably pull off dropping the orange and going with more of a blue/white/black color scheme. Ties in the "current" look of Brooklyn (in regards to what the Nets do), can be a bit of an allusion to the dodgers, and it can be pretty sleek and identifiable. That's probably their best bet.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:38 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:

Awful. I don't get why they don't just keep their current uniforms. They're fine.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
They definitely need some form of a re-branding because I just don't see them gaining full acceptance otherwise (unless they already have a large contingent of Brooklyn supporters, but I doubt it). The blue/orange color scheme just screams more of a Long Island/Queens type thing. Its always been them and the Mets in those areas, and the same color scheme can keep that kind of a connection. Need to do something different if they really want to appeal in Brooklyn.

I think going to black and white is too dramatic for them. But I think they also need to worry about keeping some unique look to them. If they go with black and white, are they going to keep enough of a visual distinction from the Kings? Probably not. And especially with them being more of a national focus thanks to their prominence (and that trophy they sadly won last year), those are the natural comparisons that will be made. Can't drop the blue because an orange/black color scheme can be reminiscent of the Flyers, halloween (and Rick DiPietro's scary contract), and parking cones. Not the ideal. They could probably pull off dropping the orange and going with more of a blue/white/black color scheme. Ties in the "current" look of Brooklyn (in regards to what the Nets do), can be a bit of an allusion to the dodgers, and it can be pretty sleek and identifiable. That's probably their best bet.
I agree, but the idea of dropping the orange and going blue/white sounds like a bad idea to me anyway. The orange keeps them connected with their area/ The Mets, and separate from the Rags. Apparently they don't want to alienate their old fanbase either. They should just go with those purple hipster ones.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Scott04

Quote:
I agree, but the idea of dropping the orange and going blue/white sounds like a bad idea to me anyway. The orange keeps them connected with their area/ The Mets, and separate from the Rags. Apparently they don't want to alienate their old fanbase either. They should just go with those purple hipster ones.
They should really just bring back Ziggy Palffy. If that doesn't make the people happy then we need to get new people.

Really, in my opinion, they should just go with a bit of a more modern update to their logos/colors. Nothing drastic. Change some shading, introduce a more official third color, and maybe slight alterations to the logo. Its a re-branding, but its not changing the brand that way. Something new enough for Brooklyn to pick up on, but enough of an homage to their history and not a move to alienate their existing fan base.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I almost spit my soda out when I read Ziggy Palffy.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Scott04

Say what you will about the level of competition he may be facing, but the man put up 73 points in 39 games in Slovakia this year at 40 years old.

EDIT: and he turns 41 on Sunday. We should wish him a happy birthday.... somehow.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Say what you will about the level of competition he may be facing, but the man put up 73 points in 39 games in Slovakia this year at 40 years old.

EDIT: and he turns 41 on Sunday. We should wish him a happy birthday.... somehow.
I didn't even realize he was still playing.

Closed Thread