HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs @ Canucks 8 PM MDT || Ugh

Old
03-29-2013, 01:15 AM
dahrougem2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
I have plenty of faith in our centers, but we need another left and right winger of 1st and 2nd line quality. Landeskog and Parenteau are the only two wingers on this team that should be on the top lines. McGinn, Jones, Palushaj... these are 3rd liners at best, more realistically 4th liners, on a playoff team. Hejduk has completely declined, and though he still has the shot, he doesn't have the legs any more for the role he has always filled.

We pick up a pair of top line wingers and it will turn this team around, because right now this team doesn't have a one-two punch... it has a left jab and a limp-wristed slap. All it takes is shutting down the Duchene line and this team is completely neutered, as it lacks the talent on the other lines to pick up the slack.

The 3rd and 4th lines aren't really the problem at all, other than 3rd and 4th line players being on the top two lines.

When it comes to defense, it should be cleaned out entirely with the exception of Johnson and Barrie. Everyone other than them would be the 3rd pairing or 7th and 8th reserves on a playoff team.

Goaltending I'm confident in moving forward, even if Varly hasn't been so sharp lately.

If Sacco had a team the quality of what Granato had, I'd be all for blaming it all on him... but he doesn't. He doesn't have the scorers, he doesn't have the defensemen, and he doesn't have the veteran leadership on the ice. Management needs to make good on the statement that the would start spending once the new CBA was finalized.
See but the problem is, this is the exact same team from last season PLUS P.A. Parenteau who happens to be our leading scorer this season. And people can fault the efforts of certain players but Stastny this season is on the same pace he was last season, and O'Reilly is on an even better pace. Yes injuries have played a part and our defense blows, but its unchanged from last season which is baffling

All of the games we played well in last season I recall us playing and up and down style of hockey, fast paced the way we did during Duchene's and O'Reilly's rookie seasons. But this season, it seems like Sacco doesn't want them playing that way. We all saw what happens when we play that way, we dominated Vancouver tonight and if not for Schneider turning into the second coming of Ken Dryden tonight, likely would have won. In my opinion the way this team needs to look is:

Drouin/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/O'Reilly/Downie
McGinn/Stastny/Free Agent
McLeod/Mitchell/Palushaj

Unknown/Johnson
Wilson/Barrie
Hejda/Elliott

Unless there's a trade involving Stastny that can net us a capable defenseman to play with Johnson

dahrougem2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:16 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
No sarcasm. It's what i expect to hear from Sherman after the season.

Not that i agree with it.
Ah there we go lol, I thought you'd agree with it

Old
03-29-2013, 01:18 AM
BusterBluth

Quote:
No sarcasm. It's what i expect to hear from Sherman after the season.

Not that i agree with it.
We were supposed to be the beneficiaries of the shortened season. Us being a young team, we were supposed to have our legs, start on time and play good hockey.

I happen to agree that the longer we don't fire Sacco, the more likely we will retain him, but I hope to see Sacco fired simply to say "enough is enough". There needs to be some kind of change within the organization.

Every GM is supposed to get two coaches; if Sherman retains Sacco after this season, he shouldn't get another. He made his bed, he should sleep in it.

BusterBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:20 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBluth View Post
It's disrespectful is why. Dutchy was right to state that Jones is not an Av and that he is irrelevant to the discussion.

He didn't like discussing OReilly and OReilly was an RFA. Chambers knows that. Why bring up a non-Av after a loss as if its relevant?
I respect your point of view but i don't think it's disrespectful.

Those guys are professionals, they are the worst team in hockey, bound to get a top pick and Seth Jones is top ranked prospect.

If Duchene doesnt like the question it's his problem. Chamber has the right to ask.

Last edited by iceberg: 03-29-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: edit: spelling
iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:23 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:

Those guys are profetionals, they are the worst team in hockey, bound to get a top pick and Seth Jones is top ranked prospect.

If Duchene doesnt like the question it's his problem. Chamber has the right to ask.
Lol what? It absolutely is disrespectful. He is not part of this team, and Chambers is basically telling Duchene "So what do you think about this kid since you guys are so bad and probably not gonna win very much". How do you think that rubs with Duchene?

If that was me and Chambers asked me that, I'd tell him to shut up and get the **** out of my face before I break my stick over his

Old
03-29-2013, 01:32 AM
avsman

Went to the game live, Schneids had a couple BEAUTY saves. Duchene was the best player on the ice just all over the place. Sacco's an idiot.

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:37 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Lol what? It absolutely is disrespectful. He is not part of this team, and Chambers is basically telling Duchene "So what do you think about this kid since you guys are so bad and probably not gonna win very much". How do you think that rubs with Duchene?

If that was me and Chambers asked me that, I'd tell him to shut up and get the **** out of my face before I break my stick over his
Clearly Chambers took a little shot, but the players put themselves in this position. If they were in a playoff battle this question would never been asked.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Mant*

Quote:
See but the problem is, this is the exact same team from last season PLUS P.A. Parenteau who happens to be our leading scorer this season.
Parenteau is one of the four players I count among the top line keepers. But this is not the same team from last season. We had Winnik and McClement who were good defensive forwards, we had O'Reilly not ****ing the team over by sitting out half the season wanting to make more money than anyone else on the team, we had Quincey who as actually putting up a lot of points on D and is better than most of the defensemen we have left. And Downie shouldn't be cracking the top lines if we want to be serious about succeeding... 3rd liner at best.

We lost a lot more than we gained.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:45 AM
iceberg

Great to see Duchene again taking responsability.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/

Old
03-29-2013, 01:48 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

^ John garrett is just going to LOVE that.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:51 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Does anybody whine about penalties as much as Garrett and Shorthouse? They wanted so many penalties and anytime an Avs player would do anything even slightly wrong they would demand a penalty. These guys are worse than the Raptors commentators.

BrickAHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:02 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Parenteau is one of the four players I count among the top line keepers. But this is not the same team from last season. We had Winnik and McClement who were good defensive forwards, we had O'Reilly not ****ing the team over by sitting out half the season wanting to make more money than anyone else on the team, we had Quincey who as actually putting up a lot of points on D and is better than most of the defensemen we have left. And Downie shouldn't be cracking the top lines if we want to be serious about succeeding... 3rd liner at best.

We lost a lot more than we gained.
But the case can be made for the other side too. Winnik was a good defensive forward but that's about all he did and he's pretty much been easily replaced by McLeod. Jay McClemment was not a very big loss at all because John Mitchell has been as good if not better than McClemment. I agree with you on the O'Reilly front, that never should have happened. But then Quincey who, I for one liked as a player, got traded to bring in Steve Downie who I for one love as a player. Downie is a 2nd line player, lets not kid ourselves here, hes no first liner but he is definitely a 2nd line player. Maybe not the prototypical 2nd line player who is all offense but he is a guy who can put up 45-50 points while providing 150 hits, plus he seems to have outstanding chemistry with O'Reilly and Landeskog. If anything we need a left winger for the top line *Ahem Drouin* because Duchene and Parenteau just don't have chemistry with McGinn

Old
03-29-2013, 02:05 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Clearly Chambers took a little shot, but the players put themselves in this position. If they were in a playoff battle this question would never been asked.
But you don't ask players that, no matter what the circumstances may be. You can go ahead and ask Pierre Lacroix, or Greg Sherman, or one of the scouts but do not ask the players. Like I said, I'd be pissed off at Chambers for asking that and next time he covers a game, if he goes up to Duchene, I hope he just blows him off and tells him to go ask someone else. You just don't ask players about having the potential 1st overall pick

Old
03-29-2013, 02:15 AM
IceyDice

Was at the game. Not trying to start something but every time there was an extended stop in the action O'Reilly would get off the bench and skate to the corner by himself looking sad. Again, not trying to start a rumor, just something odd I noticed.

Also McGinn and Landy did their handshake thing again which was cool and EJ and Barrie played really well. Good effort, Schneider just played well.

IceyDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:17 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceyDice View Post
Was at the game. Not trying to start something but every time there was an extended stop in the action O'Reilly would get off the bench and skate to the corner by himself looking sad. Again, not trying to start a rumor, just something odd I noticed.

Also McGinn and Landy did their handshake thing again which was cool and EJ and Barrie played really well. Good effort, Schneider just played well.
I know Stastny and Duchene have one but I didn't know that McGinn and Landy have one.

BrickAHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:20 AM
IceyDice

Yeah, i'm not too sure how to describe it but it's pretty neat. Only saw it once and even then it was from the corner of my eyes.

IceyDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
But you don't ask players that, no matter what the circumstances may be. You can go ahead and ask Pierre Lacroix, or Greg Sherman, or one of the scouts but do not ask the players. Like I said, I'd be pissed off at Chambers for asking that and next time he covers a game, if he goes up to Duchene, I hope he just blows him off and tells him to go ask someone else. You just don't ask players about having the potential 1st overall pick
Especially players who obviously feel bad about losing and who play a very good season although the team sucks.

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:47 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceyDice View Post
Yeah, i'm not too sure how to describe it but it's pretty neat. Only saw it once and even then it was from the corner of my eyes.
Sounds dumb if they are doing it after losses. Especially your captain.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:03 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
But the case can be made for the other side too. Winnik was a good defensive forward but that's about all he did and he's pretty much been easily replaced by McLeod. Jay McClemment was not a very big loss at all because John Mitchell has been as good if not better than McClemment. I agree with you on the O'Reilly front, that never should have happened. But then Quincey who, I for one liked as a player, got traded to bring in Steve Downie who I for one love as a player. Downie is a 2nd line player, lets not kid ourselves here, hes no first liner but he is definitely a 2nd line player. Maybe not the prototypical 2nd line player who is all offense but he is a guy who can put up 45-50 points while providing 150 hits, plus he seems to have outstanding chemistry with O'Reilly and Landeskog. If anything we need a left winger for the top line *Ahem Drouin* because Duchene and Parenteau just don't have chemistry with McGinn
Once again I wholeheartedly disagree with you.
Losing McClement was huge. Mitchell is not even coming close to replacing him. Yeah he puts up solid offensive numbers but thats it.
He is so far off from McClement when it comes to defensive play and especially PK that it is not even funny.
Losing him had an enormous impact on our team.

Look what McClement is doing for Toronto right now.
He singlehandedly carries their PK.
He is that good. Wish we would have never let him go. He asked for too much money but looking at the contract he signed with Toronto, I wonder if the Avs negotiation tactics have once again backfired.

We played well tonight and lost. I dislike seeing the Nucks winning but atleast we have a 3 point cushion on the 3rd last team right now.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Sounds dumb if they are doing it after losses. Especially your captain.
I think it was on the bench before the first period.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think it was on the bench before the first period.
Oh, haha. I thought they said like Duchene and Stastny and assumed it meant after the game. That makes more sense.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Ceremony
There is Only You

vCash: 18726
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBluth View Post
It's disrespectful is why. Dutchy was right to state that Jones is not an Av and that he is irrelevant to the discussion.

He didn't like discussing OReilly and OReilly was an RFA. Chambers knows that. Why bring up a non-Av after a loss as if its relevant?
Quote:

Those guys are professionals, they are the worst team in hockey, bound to get a top pick and Seth Jones is top ranked prospect.

Chambers never ceases to amaze me with the arrogance he has about his job and the things he has the right to ask players about. He's asking a player, probably the best player on the team this year, a young kid who's clearly angry with our form what he thinks about finishing at or near the bottom of the standings so they can get a nice shiny new defenseman. What kind of question to ask is that? Does he think that these athletes go into games with a tank mentality that we have here, that losing's alright so they can get a good young player? Please.

Aaron Portzline, the Blue Jackets beat writer, tweeted a great quote from one of their players a week or two ago...

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...45031780544513

Quote:
#CBJ player in last 48 hours about what 11-game point streak says: "It says 'I don't give a drunken (urination) about a draft pick in June."
The Avs may well suck right now and we may well finish bottom, but you don't ask someone right after a loss if they want to get a good pick in the draft to get a good prospect in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Losing McClement was huge. Mitchell is not even coming close to replacing him. Yeah he puts up solid offensive numbers but thats it.
He is so far off from McClement when it comes to defensive play and especially PK that it is not even funny.

He is that good. Wish we would have never let him go. He asked for too much money but looking at the contract he signed with Toronto, I wonder if the Avs negotiation tactics have once again backfired.

We played well tonight and lost. I dislike seeing the Nucks winning but atleast we have a 3 point cushion on the 3rd last team right now.
McClement is much better than Mitchell, though I find it unlikely he'd be able to hold the defensive side of things together if he was still here. Maybe if he played Hunwick minutes per game. I also don't think we can blame management on him leaving: he wanted to go to Toronto.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:31 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

I'll agree that losing Silent Jay was huge, but the Avs really didn't have much of a choice. They offered him more money than he is getting in Toronto and he decided to leave anyway.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Chambers never ceases to amaze me with the arrogance he has about his job
It seems he doesn't properly think things through before writing stuff (the twitterification of journalism?).

This gem from last night "Hard to believe Duchene, P.A. Parenteau and Gabe Landeskog were each minus-3 in this one."

Duh. They were on for two EN goals.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:

Lol you've quickly become my favorite poster on this board because of the fact that it always seems to be you who answers my posts It was a big loss losing McClemment I agree, but nobody thought that O'Reilly would hold out as long as he did, and Duchene has played excellent on the penalty kill this season, McClemment wasn't exactly needed because to start the season our pk could have been

O'Reilly-Landeskog
Duchene-McGinn
Stastny-McLeod

All of those forwards have proven to be excellent penalty killers. Not saying that the Avs knew this at the start of the season with regards to guys like Duchene and McLeod but it makes losing McClemment that much easier because he was here to do one thing: Kill penalties, he didn't get much ice time after that, and if anything our PK isn't bad because he's gone, rather it is bad because of our incompetent defenseman losing their sticks every minute and trying to play goal while not being able to move anyone from the front of the net