HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal/Trade Rumour Thread III It's Christmas, will we get diamonds or coal?

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Redbirdgrad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
Also if the Hawks were thinking of moving Sharp back to center they would have done so by now.
Not true.

He's either been a part of a massive points streak, or been hurt. When have they had time?

Also, Jagr hasn't been available until right now, so adding a weapon like him and possibly moving Sharp back to center wasn't really an option.

This also improves both puck possession and the powerplay, both driving forces come playoff time.

I'm still 100% on board with standing pat, but there are reasons a Stalberg trade makes sense.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
I'm sorry but you are clearly underrating Leddy and his potential. Leddy's floor is 2nd-pair d-man. More likely he is the offensive half of #1 defensive pair for many, many years to come with the Hawks.
I hope you are right about Leddy's potential. I do like what I've seen from him this year but let's not forget that his defensive assignment has been the opposing 3rd and 4th lines this year. Maybe with Q reshuffling the D, we'll see what he does against better opponents.

Another question is if he's a 1st D pairing talent, will you have enough to pay him down the line? You've got 11 mil in 2/7, how much can you afford to pay Leddy/Hammer down the road as your 2nd D pairing especially when you've got 19/88 coming up in a couple years? I'm not saying that this is the reason you trade him but if you can move one asset for a comparable asset to fill a bigger hole, it might make sense to consider.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
OTT would be nice, would cost us a decent amount to get him, but still doesnt solve our #2C issues as keeping Bolland at #2 is useless at this point as he simply cannot handle that pressure of having to be a scorer there.. and I dont want Ott as our #2 center either...Ott would bring the grit we need, but we still will be wishing we had a Ribeiro or someone like that at #2..
Ya but here's the thing, no true #2 center is getting dealt at the deadline. Its something that just doesn't happen and if it does, you're giving up a top line wing or a 1st pairing defenseman to get it done. People want other teams to gift the Hawks a great player and its not going to happen.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
chico_hawk

Jamie McBain

Now there is a dman I would have interest in if I was Bowman

Good size 6'2, 200, shoots right (they come at a premium), just turned 25, has 1 year left at a cap friendly $1.8M

Ben Smith (who hails from North Carolina) would be the guy I'd dangle back...will be 25 in summer, another year left at $560K before becoming an RFA tho is hurt at the moment...

Old
04-01-2013, 11:50 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Ya but here's the thing, no true #2 center is getting dealt at the deadline. Its something that just doesn't happen and if it does, you're giving up a top line wing or a 1st pairing defenseman to get it done. People want other teams to gift the Hawks a great player and its not going to happen.
you dont think that Ribeiro or Roy will be moved this week?

I cant imagine Washington holding on to Mike and not get anything for him as he likely bolts for FA this summer...and they arent a playoff team. makes no sense for them to keep him.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:53 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico_hawk View Post

Good size 6'2, 200, shoots right (they come at a premium), just turned 25, has 1 year left at a cap friendly $1.8M

Ben Smith (who hails from North Carolina) would be the guy I'd dangle back...will be 25 in summer, another year left at $560K before becoming an RFA tho is hurt at the moment...
I have liked Jamie for years since his USNDP days...but I dont see how he improves our overall team right now, and to also be honest, we arent landing him for just Ben Smith. To get McBain we would have to give up a bit more than that to be honest.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
topnotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirdgrad View Post
Not true.

He's either been a part of a massive points streak, or been hurt. When have they had time?

Also, Jagr hasn't been available until right now, so adding a weapon like him and possibly moving Sharp back to center wasn't really an option.

This also improves both puck possession and the powerplay, both driving forces come playoff time.

I'm still 100% on board with standing pat, but there are reasons a Stalberg trade makes sense.
At any point since the 2009-10 Cup run - or in other words, since the last time they had a #2 center. The Hawks have tried Pirri, Kruger, Kane, Bolland, Kopecky, and Brendan Morrison at that position since Sharp has moved to LW. I'm not holding my breath that Q finally has a change of heart 14 games before the Hawks hopefully start a Cup run.

This team could well improve by trading for a center #2, #3, or even #4 if that can take draws. There aren't very many #2 centers out there and the Hawks certainly won't get one by saying Saad, TT, and Danault are off limits (as many posters say). A #3 center would be fine but it would mean breaking up the chemistry the third line has built all season. Getting a #4 who is good at draws is the most likely option at this point.

I called for him over a month ago, and with Phoenix out, Boyd Gordon would be a good #4 center who can skate, and take draws pushing Kruger to the wing.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

I cant imagine Washington holding on to Mike and not get anything for him as he likely bolts for FA this summer...and they arent a playoff team. makes no sense for them to keep him.
Washington is 1pt from 8th spot....and Dallas is only 2.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
chico_hawk

Quote:
I have liked Jamie for years since his USNDP days...but I dont see how he improves our overall team right now, and to also be honest, we arent landing him for just Ben Smith. To get McBain we would have to give up a bit more than that to be honest.
He's a natural right Dman who could move Hjalmarsson back to his normal left D position (if they are that concerned about Oduya)...plus he adds size (over Oduya) and decent shot & PP numbers...

Smith was the top Hogs forward (better than Saad, Shaw, Hayes, Morin, etc.) this season before he got hurt, right before the end of the lockout, so I don't think he's simply a spare part - he would be in an NHL lineup for most teams...

All I'm saying is I'd rather give up a valuable piece for a guy like McBain than for some questionable, old rental like Streit...

Old
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Andreas

What do you guys think about Marty Reasoner? Remember him being pretty solid defensively and relatively good at faceoffs. Wouldnt cost much?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:

Riberio has made it pretty clear he wants to stay in DC. Sure, they could trade him and resign him after July 1, but when does that ever actually happen?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:28 PM
ndgt10

No trades to be had and no trades necessary!

Old
04-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Redbirdgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
At any point since the 2009-10 Cup run - or in other words, since the last time they had a #2 center. The Hawks have tried Pirri, Kruger, Kane, Bolland, Kopecky, and Brendan Morrison at that position since Sharp has moved to LW. I'm not holding my breath that Q finally has a change of heart 14 games before the Hawks hopefully start a Cup run.

This team could well improve by trading for a center #2, #3, or even #4 if that can take draws. There aren't very many #2 centers out there and the Hawks certainly won't get one by saying Saad, TT, and Danault are off limits (as many posters say). A #3 center would be fine but it would mean breaking up the chemistry the third line has built all season. Getting a #4 who is good at draws is the most likely option at this point.

I called for him over a month ago, and with Phoenix out, Boyd Gordon would be a good #4 center who can skate, and take draws pushing Kruger to the wing.
I agree with your assessment that we need a #2 center. Everyone in America knows that as well, and yes we've tried options, but what you're forgetting in all of that analysis is that at no time after the 2009-2010 season did we have both:

A. Stalberg's extension talks stalling
AND
B. Jagr become available.

Our biggest problem is on the dot, everyone knows that. A #2 center isn't as readily available as decent wingers that can help on the powerplay (read - we can pickup a winger for less assets than a #2 center).

Think about this... Kaner has had a fantastic year with absolutely nobody around him contributing. Now imagine that line with Sharp and a guy who can finish and help puck possession in that zone like Jagr. All of a sudden the 2nd line has a new dimension and Bolland drops back to the 3rd and can focus on his shutdown capabilities.

Does Jagr solve the dot problem? No... probably not. But what he does is make our team more dangerous on the powerplay, makes our 2nd line more lethal, and puts a HUGE piece in Bolland back in the spot he most needs to be.

I think just saying "we need a 2nd line center!!!" is being a little shortsided. If you can help your team in multiple areas and not weaken the future, you do it!

Old
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
chico_hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
What do you guys think about Marty Reasoner? Remember him being pretty solid defensively and relatively good at faceoffs. Wouldnt cost much?
He actually was a Blackhawk for a month back in the summer of 2010...got him from Atlanta in the Byfuglien/Morin deal, then shipped him to FLA in July

he is decent on draws & used to be decent skater/PKer- haven't seen much of him lately so not sure if he's lost a step, but probably could be had on the cheap...5th round pick, maybe even a 7th?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Hawkaholic

A tweet I just got..

Quote:
Dave Nonis hit the problem with trade deadline on the head. "Some (available) players it would be a reach just to say they can help you."
I have no problem if Stan decides to stand pat, this trade deadline will be boring, unless you want to completely overpay for players that marginally improve your team.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
So the Leafs GM (Who failed in Vancouver) is guy who you think has best read on things?

Sounds like more excuses for Bowman ,,, This team fails in playoffs and his job should be on line

Old
04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

The number of quality players available is pretty thin right now. i do not have my hopes up.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
topnotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirdgrad View Post
I agree with your assessment that we need a #2 center. Everyone in America knows that as well, and yes we've tried options, but what you're forgetting in all of that analysis is that at no time after the 2009-2010 season did we have both:

A. Stalberg's extension talks stalling
AND
B. Jagr become available.

Our biggest problem is on the dot, everyone knows that. A #2 center isn't as readily available as decent wingers that can help on the powerplay (read - we can pickup a winger for less assets than a #2 center).

Think about this... Kaner has had a fantastic year with absolutely nobody around him contributing. Now imagine that line with Sharp and a guy who can finish and help puck possession in that zone like Jagr. All of a sudden the 2nd line has a new dimension and Bolland drops back to the 3rd and can focus on his shutdown capabilities.

Does Jagr solve the dot problem? No... probably not. But what he does is make our team more dangerous on the powerplay, makes our 2nd line more lethal, and puts a HUGE piece in Bolland back in the spot he most needs to be.

I think just saying "we need a 2nd line center!!!" is being a little shortsided. If you can help your team in multiple areas and not weaken the future, you do it!
I just disagree with you that trading for Jagr would force Q to move Sharp to center. If that trade went down, I would bet that Q would use Jagr on the 3rd line and keep Bolland as the #2 center.

The fact remains that Q has had EVERY opportunity to put Sharp back at center and has NOT done it for whatever reason. I highly doubt that a trading for Jagr was that magical missing piece that forces Q's hand.

Even if Q were to move Sharp back to #2 center I have doubts that Jagr could keep up with the play of Kane and Sharp. Jagr's skating ability is not nearly what it use to be.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
So the Leafs GM (Who failed in Vancouver) is guy who you think has best read on things?

Sounds like more excuses for Bowman ,,, This team fails in playoffs and his job should be on line

Here we go again with the BWC rhetoric....as if he knows more and is smarter than the GM's themselves....

The price is too high for these guys and the GM's know it....giving up 1st/2nd round picks + high level prospects is just not worth the very marginal improvement to your team for 15 games + a playoff run....particularly for big market teams with the salary cap rollback, keeping your 1st round picks and best prospects is even more important.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
KanetoToews2883

Quote:

If you could add McBain and someone like Zac Dalpe (a minor league C with a 2C upside) for Stalberg, you might have to consider it

Old
04-01-2013, 01:12 PM
SLarmer28*

Trade Viktor Stalberg and a 2013 4th round draft pick to the Detroit Red Wings for center Valtteri Filppula.

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Filppula - Kane
Bickell - Bolland - Frolik
Carcillo - Kruger - Shaw

Morin, Bollig

Heck, toss in Steve Montador for a turkey sandwich and a bag of potato chips.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

you'd be fine with McNeill + 1st for Grabo, like rumored last year?
or Saad for Grossman, as rumored last year?

You'd be fine with Teräväinen + 1st + Frolik for Leino?
When there is nothing to get and you have to overpay, it's better to go with what works and is already a strong roster.

Bowmans job is secure and he did his job. If they fail in the POs, it's not because of the lack of talent on the roster. Forwards are fine, D is fine and goaltending is fine. As of now, we have no problems scoring goals or avoiding them

I'd love to get Ott or even adding Regehr. Regehr would be luxury and only for a 5th + not needed prospect or something like that. BUF will get better offers for Regehr

Old
04-01-2013, 01:14 PM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
He actually was a Blackhawk for a month back in the summer of 2010...got him from Atlanta in the Byfuglien/Morin deal, then shipped him to FLA in July

he is decent on draws & used to be decent skater/PKer- haven't seen much of him lately so not sure if he's lost a step, but probably could be had on the cheap...5th round pick, maybe even a 7th?
Boyd Gordon from the Phoenix Coyotes is younger and better on faceoffs.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
As of now, we have no problems scoring goals or avoiding them.
Except when the Chicago Blackhawks play against the Anaheim Ducks.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'm sure there are other team we haven't outscored much like the Oilers or Nucks...

overall, our team is doing fine and is on top of the league. (1 point less in 2 games less)
Hawks are 2nd in Goals per Game and 2nd in Goals against per Game.

Getting Goc or Gordon for prospects would be more than enough in my books. Streit for a 4th or next years 3rd and our roster would have almost no hole.

Closed Thread