HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

lakehead thunderwolves OUA

Old
12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
thook

vCash: 500
lakehead thunderwolves OUA

Here is a LU thread so that we stop hijacking others.
Anything Lakehead or even OUA relaed should happen here!

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
lakeheadu

Lakehead 1 Calgary 0 at the end of the first period

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:34 PM
lakeheadu

Calgary with a big first 5 minutes of the 2nd period, scoring 3 goals to take a 3-1 lead

Old
12-03-2011, 07:56 PM
lakeheadu

Lakehead answers back with 3 goals of their own in a matter of minutes. Quesnele, Gamache and Grecica with the goals.

4-3 Lakehead

Old
12-03-2011, 09:05 PM
lakeheadu

Calgary tied it at 4 with 10 seconds to go in the 2nd period. The 3rd period was scoreless. Lakehead got a PP in OT and won the game

Lakehead 5 Calgary 4 - OT

Old
12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
Calgary tied it at 4 with 10 seconds to go in the 2nd period. The 3rd period was scoreless. Lakehead got a PP in OT and won the game

Lakehead 5 Calgary 4 - OT
Man I am sorry I missed this one! I had a dinner to attend. Any details? shots... how was bosch in net? who carried the play?

Old
12-03-2011, 09:43 PM
lakeheadu

I actually couldnt make it either and had to watch online tonight. Calgary outshot us for sure. They were over 40 if the scoreboard was correct. We were high 20s or low 30s. Not much went on in the 1st period but we were up 1-0. 2nd period saw Calgary score 3 in about 5 minutes, but we did the same later in the period. Seemed like there were quite a few penalties. Felt like Calgary had the puck in our end more often than not in the 3rd, but nobody could score.

We got a PP in OT on a high sticking call and scored a nice goal. Went from the point to the man to the left of the goalie, on the goal line, cross crease pass and they buried it. Couldn't tell who it was from the video and the audio was horrible. Waiting for the tbnewswatch report to see the shots & game winner

Old
12-04-2011, 08:09 AM
blackmarketmob

Streamed a bit right when the Quesnele, Gamache and Grecica goals happened. Big win again for Lakehead with quite a depleted lineup.

The OUA is hopefully continuing to show some strength (even though it is localized to just a few teams). Dating back to last year's University Cup, the OUA against the CW is as follows:

Western 3 - 2 Calgary (UCup)
McGill 6 - 3 Alberta (UCup)
Brock 5 - Saskatchewan 3 (Preseason)
Brock 1 - Regina 6 (Preseason)
Lakehead 4 - 2 Calgary (Christmas)
Lakehead 5 - Calgary 4 (OT) (Christmas)

Making the OUA 5-1 in their last 6 against the CW.

After years of generally losing pretty badly in out of conference play, hopefully the OUA can continue their trend. Against the AUS however, the OUA is still losing quite badly.

This year the OUA gets 3 births at nationals, which I am never of fan of. I would love 2 births for every conference every year. The last time the OUA had 3 births was when Western somehow crumbled against UQTR in the last few minutes in the bronze medal game, and UQTR got pummelled by Lakehead and Alberta at nationals. As a fan of the OUA, I would like to see some success at nationals, like last year, but by the time you get to the 3rd place team, I start to question their ability to compete against the top team from the other conferences.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 12-04-2011 at 08:19 AM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Sticky**

Weird. I live in Winnepeg and watched the game and didnt have any problem with audio. You should make sure you refresh. If your watching the games on ssn, sometimes the feed is really choppy.

Sticky** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
lakeheadu

Really? You must have got lucky. They even posted a message apologizing for the audio and said it would be fixed for the Carleton games after xmas

Old
12-05-2011, 05:01 PM
lakeheadu

Just read that McDonald didnt play Saturday either. Crazy that we got 5 goals. That means we were without all of these guys:

Caria 1.73 points per game
McDonald 1.20 points per game
Sergerie 1.06 points per game
Beljo 1.33 points per game

We also would have only had 10 forwards dressed. That makes me feel better about the shots in that game. Good for the rest of the guys that got an opportunity to step up and did so. Can't wait until everyone is healthy and Frazee is added into the lineup for the Carleton series in a few weeks. Beljo is likely the only one that might not be back by that point.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Big lineup boys, hardly more than a couple of players under 6 feet or someone is stretching that measuring tape? Have they played Western this year? Interesting, as I was impressed by the Mustangs in last years U Cup. They have skilled snipers up front in Baker, Turkewitz. They were better than Calgary and played UNB tough despite a 4-0 loss . They also have experience in capturing a National silver medal in 2009. With a lineup as big as Lakehead's, you would think that they would install a physical and aggressive style against Western.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
lakeheadu

This is probably the biggest team we have ever had. Scherban definitely focused on adding some size to the lineup over the offseason, and it was much needed. It makes a huge difference in our own end. Our D are much better and are having fewer problems clearing the puck and keeping guys away from the net.

We haven't played Western yet. We have 4 games with them in Jan/Feb. Those should be fun. It seems we became rivals from year one and they have been tough battles ever since.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:28 AM
lakeheadu

Lakehead and Carleton split their two game series. Carleton won last night in OT and we won tonight in a shootout.

Game 1 was absolutely terrible to watch. Our guys looked like they had been off for months and could not move out there. We were down 2-0 midway through the 3rd but finally woke up and were able to score 3 straight goals to take the lead. Gamache turned the puck over with a minute left and Carleton scored with 49.9 seconds remaining. The game went to OT and Maunu was gassed and took a penalty. Carleton scored to win 4-3

Game 2 saw us jump out to a 2-0 lead after 1. In the 2nd period, Carleton decided to show why they are the most penalized team in the league. It was pretty ridiculous. They were slashing on every single play. Brewer (the worst ref we have) totally lost control of the game and it got out of hand. Fillman got into a "fight". He didnt even throw a punch but was given a 5 minute major for fighting and a game misconduct. This was apparently overturned after the game and switched to a couple of misconducts and a game misconduct. We ended up going up 3-0 before the 2nd period was over.

In the 3rd period, Lakehead saw a non stop parade to the penalty box. Many of the calls were absolutely terrible. We received 5 straight penalties. Carleton ran our goalie and Frazee pounded him for it and, of course, we ended up shorthanded. After the 4th straight penalty, Quesnele put a towel on his stick and waved it from the penalty box. He got a 10 minute misconduct and a game misconduct for that, leaving us without our top 3 defencemen (Sagert got hurt in the 1st period). Scherban played our 3rd and 4th liners for almost the entire 3rd period, which was smart. Carleton was playing extremely dirty and we didnt need any more injuries. Carleton got 3 PPG in the 3rd to tie it and send it to OT. It ended up going to a shootout, with Sergerie being the only one to score

Old
12-31-2011, 12:30 AM
lakeheadu

Also, Frazee looked pretty good. In the first game he made a perfect pass from our own end to Grondin. It sent Grondin in on a breakaway and he scored. Tonight Frazee was able to get a PPG. He got about 20 PIM tonight, so he saw limited action, but he looked good when he was on the ice. He's exactly what we needed. He gives us another big body and one that can score

Old
12-31-2011, 09:26 AM
thook

Fridays game was definitely 100% better than game 1 of the series. Unfortunately it was game 2 for brewer as well. The people who sit in my section were clearly upset when he skated on the ice before the game. The game started out good and physical. Then Brewer got involved and destroyed another good game at the gardens. (unfortunately the second referee was no better but I am not sure who he was) Carleton is by far the most physical team LU has played this year. And judging by their stats probably the most physical in the OUA. They have some skilled guys who are fun to watch. As for lakehead I expect a even better second half than first. Their new pick up adds great depth upfront and the D have been solid all year. Its good they have these xmas break games to shake off the rust. Next weekend is Waterloo and I see they beat mcgill so I expect a great series between the two.

Old
12-31-2011, 02:11 PM
mikeandI

[QUOTE=lakeheadu;41689389]Lakehead and Carleton split their two game series. Carleton won last night in OT and we won tonight in a shootout.

Game 1 was absolutely terrible to watch. Our guys looked like they had been off for months and could not move out there. We were down 2-0 midway through the 3rd but finally woke up and were able to score 3 straight goals to take the lead. Gamache turned the puck over with a minute left and Carleton scored with 49.9 seconds remaining. The game went to OT and Maunu was gassed and took a penalty. Carleton scored to win 4-3

Game 2 saw us jump out to a 2-0 lead after 1. In the 2nd period, Carleton decided to show why they are the most penalized team in the league. It was pretty ridiculous. They were slashing on every single play. Brewer (the worst ref we have) totally lost control of the game and it got out of hand. Fillman got into a "fight". He didnt even throw a punch but was given a 5 minute major for fighting and a game misconduct. This was apparently overturned after the game and switched to a couple of misconducts and a game misconduct. We ended up going up 3-0 before the 2nd period was over.

just a quick question on hockey rules.
How do you over turn a major for fighting to a misconduct at the end of the game??
This is a Lakehead U phenomenon! Last year University of Regina was there as the visitors and a player Shane Bender was in two tilleys in one game (one game) and both were chaulked up as double minors for wrestling at the end by whom ever. It seems everyone who goes there gets in a dust up....only to have sherban or the supervisor reduce it to misconducts or double douces to avoid the CIS suspension for fighting. In the mckee era when the bisons were there that happened as well. not that it is a bad thing avoiding the suspension but your officials are a gong show buddy!

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:08 PM
lakeheadu

No idea what happened. It never should have been called a fight in the first place as Fillman didn't throw a punch and I'm not even sure he took a punch, but I don't get how you change it after the game either.

You are incorrect about the fight in the Manitoba series being changed, however. The Manitoba guy(s) only had to sit out the game here the next night (exhibition) but Jordan Smith for us missed the first OUA game back (vs. Western). You can check the game summary on the OUA site. He played the Saturday game but not the Friday game. He was suspended for the fight.

As for the Regina game, I don't quite remember that one but what your saying is not the same thing. If the guy had been given a fighting major, he would never have been allowed back in the game to fight a 2nd time. So, there's no way that it was just changed after the game. Perhaps it was a "fight" and just called a misconduct in game, but it couldn't have been changed post game like this one apparently was

Old
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
lakeheadu

And thook said he heard it was ruled as an intent to fight and not a fight if that changes anything. Not sure if he's right or not. It was getting a bit loud and there were about 10 penalties being announced at once, so I may have misheard it as a fighting major. Either way, according the tbnewswatch article, something got changed.

Definitely not defending the refs by any means, because they're brutal, but I thought that I should add that in just in case I'm wrong on the original call. I would be totally fine with an OUA ref from Southern Ontario being brought in to do all our games. Everyone's quick to say we get favoured by these refs but, if you watched the games, you would see that's far from true. We are better than most of the OUA teams and the refs find ways to keep them in the games at times. If the refs simply did their jobs and called only the legit penalties, I'm quite sure that our talent would prevail more often than not (as it does now).

Carleton played extremely dirty and deserved every call they got in the 2nd period. They were slashing and cross checking on every play. In the 3rd, Brewer seemingly felt the need to even up the power plays as we had to kill 6 straight penalties. The majority of them were horrible calls. He lost control of that game and was just making calls up.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:52 PM
lakeheadu

Lakehead 5 Waterloo 1

Waterloo is never known for their offensive abilities, but we made them look like they had almost nothing on offense at all. Their one goal came off a turnover. They had a hard time generating any quality scoring chances.

As for our guys, it was one of their better all around games of the season. Frazee picked up 2 points in his first regular season game. He is a very good passer and plays with an edge as well.

Tomorrow will be a huge game in terms of playoff seeding. If we can sweep them, it will be quite tough for Waterloo or anyone else to knock us out of one of the top 2 spots.

Scratches included McDonald and Sagert. McDonald has been out since the Calgary series. He's our best pure goal scorer, so hopefully he is able to get back by the games vs Western. Sagert injured himself last weekend. Our D played solid enough that we did not need him, but he's definitely one of our top 4.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:00 PM
lakeheadu

The lines for tonight's game were pretty well the same as game one vs Carleton. I'm glad we had that series to get our legs back. The boys looked in midseason form again tonight

Gamache - Caria - Sergerie
Grondin - Hammond - Frazee
Carrick - Wilkins - Beljo
Welsh - Magill - Menard

It will be interesting to see where McDonald fits in when he returns. He's easily in our top 3 forwards but the Caria line has been together almost all year (when Caria was healthy). Grondin has been very solid as well. I could see McDonald sliding in Grondin's spot, with Grondin moving down to the 3rd line. Menard will likely be out of the lineup.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
thook

I agree it will be tough to take anyone out of the line up right now. But I am thinking beljo could be on the out side looking in. He had been coasting on his potential. I do realize he has been hurt but he has looked pretty slow out there lately. I think he needs to pick it up soon because the wolves have lots of depth right now and these guys are going to need to earn their ice time.

As for tonight's game. Probably the best of the year at home for LU. It should have been 6-1 as the wolves had a goal pulled back in the first. IT was clearly in the net (I had a perfect line of sight on it) but the ref was out at the blue line and did not see it. Now I have a question. In the OUA can the goal judge be utilized to make a decision on weather the puck was in the net? He knew it was in. He even turned the light on and left it on to show it was in. All 3 officials on the ice missed it. It appears the goal judge is just there to turn the lights on for the fans.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
lakeheadu

Beljo is the only other guy I could see getting scratched. Thought it was interesting that he was out there on the 5 on 3 PK though. It seems that Scherban is trying to get him more involved. I agree that he's not very fast. I would just prefer to have him in there as opposed to a grinder like Menard in big games where we might need some secondary scoring.

I couldnt tell if that puck was in, but none of the refs were even close to the net to be able to see. Poor positioning. Like you said, why even have a goal judge if they wont even talk to him to ask what he saw.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Now I have a question. In the OUA can the goal judge be utilized to make a decision on weather the puck was in the net? He knew it was in. He even turned the light on and left it on to show it was in. All 3 officials on the ice missed it. It appears the goal judge is just there to turn the lights on for the fans.
I always thought the goal judge can/should be consulted on plays like that...if they can't then what is even the point of having them?? UNB had a similar situation against STU right before Christmas. A STU shot dribbled through the goalies leg towards the goal line before a UNB D-man cleared the puck. The goal light never went off but the ref called it a goal...there was no conversation between the refs and the goal judge. Sometime I think the refs are just too stubborn to admit what might be a mistake and don't want their initial ruling overturned.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
Beljo is the only other guy I could see getting scratched. Thought it was interesting that he was out there on the 5 on 3 PK though. It seems that Scherban is trying to get him more involved. I agree that he's not very fast. I would just prefer to have him in there as opposed to a grinder like Menard in big games where we might need some secondary scoring.

I couldnt tell if that puck was in, but none of the refs were even close to the net to be able to see. Poor positioning. Like you said, why even have a goal judge if they wont even talk to him to ask what he saw.
That is odd the goal judge was not consulted. In one game this year (Laurier's win over Western), a shot by Western rang squarely off the crossbar, and the officials were unsure of how to proceed as they did not see it, but upon talking with the goal judge, ruled it a goal. I was not at the game, but the highlight package demonstrated the play.

As for Waterloo not being high scoring, you are right they have scored less than Lakehead and Western, but other than that, they have outscored all other OUA West teams. Hill and Ray are currently sitting 2nd and 5th in OUA scoring, so solid job by Lakehead to limit Waterloo to only 1 goal.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote