HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Coburn to play for the Wolves

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2005, 12:48 PM
All Star United

vCash: 500
Coburn to play for the Wolves

Coburn signs AHL tryout contract

Old
04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Well this should mean Phaneuf is able to play in Lowell shouldn't it?

Old
04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Jacob

Yep. What's the holdup on Phaneuf?

Old
04-13-2005, 01:34 PM
sk84fun_dc

I do not understand all the new work visa rules, etc., but could there be a difference because Coburn was already playing in the States? Would the work visa be specific to Portland or could he move to playing for Chicago with less hassle than Phaneuf crossing the border to play for an American based team?

Old
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Yep. What's the holdup on Phaneuf?
I just received and e-mail from Flames VP Michael Holditch. He told me this..
At this time we are unable to sign Eric Nystrom to an NHL/AHL contract and we are unable to assign Dion to Lowell under his existing contract as he was not assigned there prior to September 15th 2004 (he was too young to assign at that point)

The Flames are -- however -- in negotiations with Nystrom to join up with the Lock Monsters.

Old
04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Hunter74

Yeah but Coburn is the same age as Phaneuf and was never assigned to the AHL before this season. Though Chicago isn't owned by Atlanta so that might have something to do with it. But then again the Flames dont own Lowell either.

I dont get this hold up at all. If Phaneuf signed the deal before the lcokout he should of recieved his AHL/USA working visa. Phaneuf just turned 20 on the 10th so maybe that has something to do with it as Coburn turned 20 in early Febuary. But still that doesn't make alot of sense at the moment.

Old
04-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
I just received and e-mail from Flames VP Michael Holditch. He told me this..
At this time we are unable to sign Eric Nystrom to an NHL/AHL contract and we are unable to assign Dion to Lowell under his existing contract as he was not assigned there prior to September 15th 2004 (he was too young to assign at that point)

The Flames are -- however -- in negotiations with Nystrom to join up with the Lock Monsters.
The way I understood the rule was- if your junior season is up, you are free to report to the NHL/AHL.

The only thing I can think of is that they don't want to risk injury. Or maybe Phaneuf is currently nursing an injury.

Last edited by Jacob: 04-14-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old
04-15-2005, 12:38 PM
All Star United

So did anyone see his first game yesterday. I know he fought and he had 2 shots on goal.

How was his game?

Old
04-15-2005, 09:37 PM
eatwake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hunter74
Yeah but Coburn is the same age as Phaneuf and was never assigned to the AHL before this season. Though Chicago isn't owned by Atlanta so that might have something to do with it. But then again the Flames dont own Lowell either.

I dont get this hold up at all. If Phaneuf signed the deal before the lcokout he should of recieved his AHL/USA working visa. Phaneuf just turned 20 on the 10th so maybe that has something to do with it as Coburn turned 20 in early Febuary. But still that doesn't make alot of sense at the moment.
it's because phaneuf is already under contract with the flames. since the CBA has expired, they can't assign their players anywhere

coburn is not currently under contract with the thrashers and signed an Amateur Try Out contract independentely with the wolves.

Old
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Coburn IS under contract with the Thrashers. He signed a deal July 29, 2004.

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View...0-2664c50543e3

Old
04-18-2005, 12:19 PM
john g

split affiliate in Lowell probably has something to do with it

Old
04-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon
Coburn IS under contract with the Thrashers. He signed a deal July 29, 2004.

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View...0-2664c50543e3
And since a rookie level contract contains a 2-way by default, there was no problem. I don't understand why Phaneuf can't be brought over to Lowell.

Old
04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brownstone
And since a rookie level contract contains a 2-way by default, there was no problem. I don't understand why Phaneuf can't be brought over to Lowell.
Coburn's rookie contract with Atlanta has nothing to do with this. The NHL is locked out and as such, no NHL team can make any moves or transactions. Using the two-way portion of an NHL contract would be considered a roster move, just like it is during any other time in the year.
Coburn signed a Amateur Player Tryout Contract with the Chicago Wolves organization, exclusively. It is a seperate and independent contract from the one he had previously agreed upon with the Atlanta Thrashers organization.
The real question is how was Coburn able to do this, when a player like Phaneuf (amateur player with a professional contract) cannot. It's quite simple for an amateur player without a professional contract to be signed to a Tryout (re: Jeff Carter and Jordan Smith), but Coburn seems to be an bit of an enigma, and if there is a loophole, perhaps players like Phaneuf and Getzlaf among others (when the become available) could join their respective team's farm clubs.
Word out of Calgary puts the blame on contracts, but if that isn't the case, what is?

Personally, I think the answer lies in US Immigration causing problems with amateur players with pro contracts. Coburn wouldn't apply because theoretically, he had already dealt with this because his home club is in Portland. But I am not skilled in the matters of US Immigration and must admit that is a shot in the dark.

Old
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
john g

i bet it is carolina balking at giving up more D time for their prospects. commodore already gets tons of ice time, so will regehr. carolina probably says no so that richmond, st jacques wont be shoved down to 4-6 dmen

Closed Thread