HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Cam Ward or Kari Lehtonen

View Poll Results: Cam Ward or Kari Lehtonen
Cam Ward 9 16.98%
Kari Lehtonen 44 83.02%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Veritas0Aequitas

vCash: 500
Cam Ward or Kari Lehtonen

Who is the better goaltender? Obviously we're mostly comparing regular season play since Kari hasn't appeared much in the playoffs.

Veritas0Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
Who is the better goaltender? Obviously we're mostly comparing regular season play since Kari hasn't appeared much in the playoffs.
You're also comparing them when Kari's having a career year and Ward's having a career worst (injury aside).

In addition, you remove Ward's bread and butter in his playoff play.

Real fair poll.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Pohlow

He played the worst game I have ever personally seen out of him on Monday, but I still gotta go with Lehtonen. Top 5 goalie in the league, and when he is hot he is 2012 playoffs J.Quick hot, could easily backstop to a cup on a team with decent D.

Last edited by Pohlow: 03-28-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:25 PM
bp spec

Two of my favorite goalies in the league. Right now it's Lehtonen, but both are very talented.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:23 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
You're also comparing them when Kari's having a career year and Ward's having a career worst (injury aside).

In addition, you remove Ward's bread and butter in his playoff play.

Real fair poll.
Lehtonen in a bad year is still as good as Ward in a good year.

Also, there's no such thing as "playoff play". If you think Ward is better in the playoffs, do you think he purposefully doesn't stop as many pucks as he could in the regular season? Man, if I was Carolina, I'd be pissed.

Goaltending is highly volatile. Any goaltender can get on a good run. That's why we've seen Roloson lead an 8th seed Oilers to the finals, why Brian Boucher has the NHL record for a shutout streak, and why Fleury has been unbelievably awful in every playoff appearance except for one, in which he was brilliant. It's why Brian Elliott came out of nowhere to have a monster year last year, and now he's back to being, well, Brian Elliott. Last year, Nikolai Khabibulin was 7-0-2 with a 0.960sv% + through 9 games. He was awful the year before that, and awful the rest of the year. He went a full calendar year without winning a game.

Lehtonen is quietly a top-10 goaltender, and probably closer to 5th than 10th. Ward... probably somewhere closer to 15th.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Cam Ward

03-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Lehtonen AINEC.

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:59 PM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
Lehtonen AINEC.
This.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Lehtonen, he's just flat out more talented.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
blueowl2
Caniac

If I had to chose one, when they are both healthy, I am always going to go...

Ward says NO!

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:37 AM
MP92

Lehtonen.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Also, there's no such thing as "playoff play". If you think Ward is better in the playoffs, do you think he purposefully doesn't stop as many pucks as he could in the regular season? Man, if I was Carolina, I'd be pissed.
Ward visibly feeds off his environment more than any goalie I've seen since Roy. If it's a close game with high stakes and his teammates are going all-out, he will flat out dominate. If it's a random Wednesday night in Edmonton and the team is playing like crap, he loosens up and becomes a very average goalie.

Do those soft games piss us off? Absolutely. But man, when it really counts there's not a goalie in the league I'd rather have.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:55 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Ward visibly feeds off his environment more than any goalie I've seen since Roy. If it's a close game with high stakes and his teammates are going all-out, he will flat out dominate. If it's a random Wednesday night in Edmonton and the team is playing like crap, he loosens up and becomes a very average goalie.

Do those soft games piss us off? Absolutely. But man, when it really counts there's not a goalie in the league I'd rather have.
Quote:
The game seven argument is also fairly meaningless because it represents such a small sample of Ward's career. Win/loss record aside, it is correct to say that Ward has performed well in game sevens (1.85 GAA and .932 save percentage), but we don't have to go very far to find examples of important games where Ward didn't manage to get the job done. Twice he has played the final game of the season in "win and you're in" situations, and both times he gave up four goals in a Hurricanes loss that eliminated them from playoff contention. Ward also gave up five goals in a world championship final loss on Canadian ice in Quebec City in 2008. These performances show that his performances in must-win games are far more variable than the "4-0 in game sevens" narrative implies.
From here.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:31 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
I'm not talking only about game 7 situations. I'm talking about watching this guy game in, game out, for several seasons. There is NO doubt that he raises his game according to the level of his teammates. Look at how the team has fared without him this March; he is one of the reasons the Hurricanes aren't a lottery team year-in, year-out.

You are not going to find a Canes fan who looks back on those season-ending situations and says, "Cam cost us those games". The Hurricanes got shellacked, and Ward was the least of their problems. The key goals were scored on breakaways, back-door passes, opponents sniping from the slot unchecked. Just two bad overall team performances where the goalie could have been anyone.

World Championships? Yeah, he could have been better, but historically goalies have been all over the place in short, international tournaments. It's the nature of the format.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Aucoin11*

ward likes to do two pad stacks

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote