HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Which is the most impressive team between Mtl,Tor and Ott??

View Poll Results: Which is the most impressive team
Montreal 39 19.02%
Toronto 17 8.29%
Ottawa 149 72.68%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
  #26
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Budaj has a worst % and GAA than Price. You were probably the same person who wanted Budaj out after his first 2 games.
Alert, alert, new batteries needed for fun radar.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:55 PM
  #27
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Funny that all have impressed so much this season.

Does this look like the number one defense in the NHL?

Method/Gryba
Wiercioch/Gonchar
Phillips/Lundin
Beniot

Bishop/Lehner

That is a big reason that the Sens are more impressive. Which is not saying that the other teams have not been big surprises in their own right.

(I think Mtl had a bad year last year, so the last to best is in part a reflection of how they underachieved last year)

Hockey is a funny sport. The Rangers came out of the gate as the clear favorite. Philly tanks about once a decade. Washington anybody?

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:12 PM
  #28
costermonger
sans classe
 
costermonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,714
vCash: 500
This isn't a knock on the Leafs at all, but I see their improvement as the natural effect of hiring a good coach. Carlyle is a very, very good coach, so I'm not even a little surprised that they're better. I think the playoff drought is over.

Montreal had a terrible year last year, but now they're healthy, have had an infusion of young talented players and things are clicking well. That they're doing better doesn't surprise me, but how much better sure does. It's impressive, there's no denying it.

Ottawa just flat out refuses to behave according to normal logic. They were pretty healthy last year and well coached; the biggest offseason change was Methot replacing Kuba. Of the three teams, they were supposed to be the best, but also the least improved (at least as I saw it). Then all the injuries happened and every time it would've been understandable if they fell out of the race.. But somehow they continue to be even better than they were last year. Different, but as a team.. So much better.

I voted for Ottawa but I don't think any of the three fan bases has reason to complain very loudly this year.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:16 PM
  #29
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,450
vCash: 50
Ottawa

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:17 PM
  #30
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Sens. Paul MacLean is a great coach.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:34 PM
  #31
MiniMoose
Registered User
 
MiniMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
I'm a Leafs fan and I'm voting for the Senators. Our Division is the best division in the NHL

MiniMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:36 PM
  #32
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,467
vCash: 50
Ottawa due to injuries.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:49 PM
  #33
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,393
vCash: 500
Definitely Ottawa

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:05 PM
  #34
sammy d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Why would 7 people pick the Leafs?

That is all.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:10 AM
  #35
Orr123
Registered User
 
Orr123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by costermonger View Post
This isn't a knock on the Leafs at all, but I see their improvement as the natural effect of hiring a good coach. Carlyle is a very, very good coach, so I'm not even a little surprised that they're better. I think the playoff drought is over.

Montreal had a terrible year last year, but now they're healthy, have had an infusion of young talented players and things are clicking well. That they're doing better doesn't surprise me, but how much better sure does. It's impressive, there's no denying it.

Ottawa just flat out refuses to behave according to normal logic. They were pretty healthy last year and well coached; the biggest offseason change was Methot replacing Kuba. Of the three teams, they were supposed to be the best, but also the least improved (at least as I saw it). Then all the injuries happened and every time it would've been understandable if they fell out of the race.. But somehow they continue to be even better than they were last year. Different, but as a team.. So much better.

I voted for Ottawa but I don't think any of the three fan bases has reason to complain very loudly this year.
This is exactly what I think.

I think the fact that ottawa actually lost their top player at every position and hasn't even missed a step is huge.

Montreal is doing great. But the 15-2 argument is a bit flawed. Yes they did that. But more a statement of how much they flopped last year. But it's still impressive what they have done.

And the Leafs, not surprised all that much. Shortened season plus years of no playoffs, really bound to happen at some point.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:24 AM
  #36
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,319
vCash: 500
I say leafs.

I'm impressed as to how it all finally came after years of sucking. Ottawa is doing very well with the injuries but since Toronto was a long term problem/drought to me I'm impressed at the coming togetherof a good tteam . To me this is a team finally being good > over a team doing very good in the regular season with big injuries.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:27 AM
  #37
EssendonBombers
classless
 
EssendonBombers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,289
vCash: 500
I know Montreal had a worse record last year and a better record this year, but no team should be able to lose the caliber of players that Ottawa has and still be this successful.

Their current team's payroll is just over half of what the Habs (including Gomez) and the Leafs (including Komi) are paying, yet they continually get it done with depth, coaching, grit, goaltending, rookies and timely goals.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
  #38
Shaby23
Registered User
 
Shaby23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,010
vCash: 50
Hmm i knew Ottawa would win but not that much lol.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:56 AM
  #39
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,183
vCash: 500
Ottawa. Not because I cheer for them but because they've done so well given the circumstances this season and all their injuries.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:06 AM
  #40
Erik Alfredsson
Registered User
 
Erik Alfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
Ottawa is basically in the same position Montreal was last year, except they're winning games, so Ottawa...

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
  #41
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,587
vCash: 500
It's been quite a year for all the NE Canadian teams.

Who'd have thunk it?

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
  #42
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 50
Ottawa. Still waiting for the collapse. Think it'll come eventually (starting Saturday )

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
  #43
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,864
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Funny that all have impressed so much this season.

Does this look like the number one defense in the NHL?

Method/Gryba
Wiercioch/Gonchar
Phillips/Lundin
Beniot

Bishop/Lehner

That is a big reason that the Sens are more impressive. Which is not saying that the other teams have not been big surprises in their own right.
I see close to 2,000 man-games of defensive experience between Gonchar and Phillips, another 300+ from Methot. Gryba and Benoit and Wiercioch have all played together in Bingo.

We need to stop pretending that we have a bunch of sub 100 game players that were thrown into a blender and are somehow miraculously responding to coach MacLean's instructions. We have very experienced defensemen guiding the transition of defensemen who are already experienced in the system (Richardson uses same) and our forward ranks have a fair amount of veteran presence. It's not like the Senators are all 25 and under and learning on the fly here.

We are doing well, but we're also using the same system from Bingo on up and have enough vets to make sure we don't go off the rails. It's noteworthy that we've done well, but with Spezza and Karlsson out less chances are being taken, which also results in less turnovers and chances against. It's not magic, really.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:38 AM
  #44
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,864
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Why would 7 people pick the Leafs?

That is all.
The were one of the worst teams in the East and picked to finish 13th to 10th and are in 6th....that's quite the improvement and deserves some notice.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:06 PM
  #45
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I see close to 2,000 man-games of defensive experience between Gonchar and Phillips, another 300+ from Methot. Gryba and Benoit and Wiercioch have all played together in Bingo.

We need to stop pretending that we have a bunch of sub 100 game players that were thrown into a blender and are somehow miraculously responding to coach MacLean's instructions. We have very experienced defensemen guiding the transition of defensemen who are already experienced in the system (Richardson uses same) and our forward ranks have a fair amount of veteran presence. It's not like the Senators are all 25 and under and learning on the fly here.

We are doing well, but we're also using the same system from Bingo on up and have enough vets to make sure we don't go off the rails. It's noteworthy that we've done well, but with Spezza and Karlsson out less chances are being taken, which also results in less turnovers and chances against. It's not magic, really.
While what you say is true, if you had said that our 7 defensmen to start the season where the 7 we have now, how confident would you be that this group would lead the league in defense?

That is why 'surprise' is an accurate description of the results.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
  #46
gretskidoo
Registered User
 
gretskidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
Ottawa is 3rd in MGL with their 3 best players all out.

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:32 PM
  #47
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,023
vCash: 500
I can't help but say Ottawa.

Because, at reasonable health, they'd be competing for the conference and considering loading up with the plentiful and expendable young assets they possess. Whilst missing several of their best and highest paid players, also dealing with short-term injuries to other minute takers like Gonchar and Methot, it's like they are still better than anyone thought they'd be at full health.

This team will be competing for Cups for the foreseeable future if they don't let off the steam in draft/development. Silfverberg and Zibanejad are starting to control the play with eachother in top 6 roles and they have a 21 year old goaltender carrying a 940ish save percentage and he came with hype of a future star.

Given cap situation, prospects/development, and current roster...this team could put themselves in a position that Chicago was in when they won...where they played a year or two with a roster that could be valued wayyyyyy over the cap.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:45 PM
  #48
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,336
vCash: 500
Ottawa. With the injuries to such key personnel and their ability to play hard and stay in games with what they have left, such a testament to the coaching staff and effort level. Habs and Leafs were thought to be borderline to compete for a playoff spot, and have exceeded expectations too. But Sens have just been more "impressive" to pile up the points they have in the standings.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:15 PM
  #49
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,774
vCash: 500
So many backhanded compliments in this thread

I'm honestly impressed by all three teams.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
  #50
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank
 
Seth Rollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,098
vCash: 500
Ottawa, although Montreal and Toronto's improvements are nothing to balk at either.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.