HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What's next for Ryan Strome? (At Bridgeport)

Old
03-29-2013, 11:33 AM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Junior aged players can play in the AHL as long as their junior team's season is done. The rule just basically prevents junior aged players from playing in the AHL while their junior team is still playing. That's why Strome couldn't start the year in Bridgeport.

It applies to everyone drafted out of the CHL. The reason Strome can now play in the AHL is because of the above.
You beat me to it.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:43 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
I don't think Strome is NHL ready but at the same time, could he be any worse than Reasoner? Maybe on faceoffs but thats it. If we weren't in a playoff race I'd be more in a hurry to bring him to the NHL now but I would like to see how he handles the speed of it.
The stick poking is what keeps us from ever being a Detroit organization that demands their players are ready.

I had hopes years ago that Bridgeport would be stocked and have the best coaches and we could be like Detroit, or, in other words, what the Isles were once.

Leave the kids alone until they bust open the door with talent. Strome on Bridgeport I like. If he scores ten goals in ten games, MAYBE.....we bring him up. Lee? I'd look at that was as well.

The "wanna see what he can do," has ruined or hampered how many promising draft picks thus far on LI?

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Just my opinion, Strome is not ready yet.
a good majority of players drafted in the 2011 class have played in the NHL so far. Strome just sat in the press box.. its time to **** or get off the pot. If he plays well then he stays and lets hope he catches fire in the playoffs if we make it.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:06 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
The stick poking is what keeps us from ever being a Detroit organization that demands their players are ready.

I had hopes years ago that Bridgeport would be stocked and have the best coaches and we could be like Detroit, or, in other words, what the Isles were once.

Leave the kids alone until they bust open the door with talent. Strome on Bridgeport I like. If he scores ten goals in ten games, MAYBE.....we bring him up. Lee? I'd look at that was as well.

The "wanna see what he can do," has ruined or hampered how many promising draft picks thus far on LI?
I totally hear what your saying and I agree, BUT Lee would be wasting his time in the AHL. Man among boys.

You want to know how Lee would do in the AHL? Look at what Drew Stafford, Erik Cole, David Backes, Chris Kunitz, RJ Umberger did after they completed 3 years of college and spent about 5 minutes in the AHL.

Lee is in the same class/category. He's actually older than any of those guys when they left college, and bigger (Backes is close).

Old
03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
kasper11

Quote:

I don't think giving a player a few games at the end of the year has ruined any players. Even teams like Detroit do this occasionally; Rile Sheehan played a game with the big club at the end of last year. Tomas Tatar from the 2009 draft was up at the end of the season 2 years later for 9 games.

If he plays well for a few games in the AHL, give him 5 or so games in the NHL. Let him get a taste for it and see how difficult it is. Let him see what he needs to work on and take that into the offseason.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:08 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
a good majority of players drafted in the 2011 class have played in the NHL so far. Strome just sat in the press box.. its time to **** or get off the pot.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, No.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:

I dont see how that hampers any development. If you give a kid a 7 game cup of coffee try out and play him in multiple lines and let him get a feel of the game, how is that hurting his development?

The fact is we have horrible coaches and a terrible management department that has guys like Nino playing 4th line with Marty. Lets bench Ullstrom and play some AHL journeyman reject. Lets keep Cizikas on the bench while Aucoin plays.

What we have is prospects but we lack the experienced staff to nurture them. In the end if they falter and that messes them up mentally EX - Nino, then we have to look in the mirror and say He aint that good to begin with.

Strome has done all he can in the OHL.. let him play with the big boys and then see where it goes. The AHL will always be there.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:12 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, No.
I think he meant out of the top picks. Strome and Siemens are the only top-15 not to see any NHL time.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, No.
Really?? players drafted 1-4 are currently playing in the NHL

We drafted Strome as 5

players 6-10 are playing in the NHL

Landeskog is the team captain of Colorado. RNH is a main piece of the Edmonton rebuild. Brodin who was drafted 10th just signed a 3 yr deal with Minnesota.

Ryan Strome has yet to touch the ice

Old
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I totally hear what your saying and I agree, BUT Lee would be wasting his time in the AHL. Man among boys.

You want to know how Lee would do in the AHL? Look at what Drew Stafford, Erik Cole, David Backes, Chris Kunitz, RJ Umberger did after they completed 3 years of college and spent about 5 minutes in the AHL.

Lee is in the same class/category. He's actually older than any of those guys when they left college, and bigger (Backes is close).
Oh, agree...he's more NHL ready, but I want him proving that in the AHL as a manifest, a law, almost scripture so we don't have to have a new Nino each year.

I would bet on Lee showing up after two or three AHL games to play in the big league. You have to pay to get to LI. Bridgeport is the toll.

But we might still be the same ol Islanders and just plug him into the NHL lineup to sell tickets and continue our winning ways.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
I dont see how that hampers any development. If you give a kid a 7 game cup of coffee try out and play him in multiple lines and let him get a feel of the game, how is that hurting his development?
It doesn't. Now you are dealing with Contracts and free agency and all that stuff. Strome Won't see the NHL for more than 5 games, if he does, he becomes a free agent a year sooner and a year of his ELC is up in smoke for those extra 2 games, Not worth it, not close.

It isn't just the Islanders that do this, it's most teams, and all sports, Most mega rookies in Baseball come up after May 1st for options purposes. It's just part of the business in most cases.

Quote:
The fact is we have horrible coaches and a terrible management department that has guys like Nino playing 4th line with Marty. Lets bench Ullstrom and play some AHL journeyman reject. Lets keep Cizikas on the bench while Aucoin plays.
I agree with this 1000%. Cappy needs to get chopped, because If I continue to watch Cizikas play the way he has been playing everynight and continue to see TOI 10:14 next his name, my head is literally going to explode.

Quote:

Strome has done all he can in the OHL.. let him play with the big boys and then see where it goes. The AHL will always be there.
That's fine, but you wont se him for more than 5 games this year, in the meantime it's Bridgeport.

BTW he's 19, it's not time to think about cutting any bait or jumping off any pots regardless of his play this next month.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I don't think giving a player a few games at the end of the year has ruined any players. Even teams like Detroit do this occasionally; Rile Sheehan played a game with the big club at the end of last year. Tomas Tatar from the 2009 draft was up at the end of the season 2 years later for 9 games.

If he plays well for a few games in the AHL, give him 5 or so games in the NHL. Let him get a taste for it and see how difficult it is. Let him see what he needs to work on and take that into the offseason.
That's all I want. If he shows up and is the best guy we can bring up or close to it, NHL it is.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:

Thats very true but the main reason we keep wanting to see what players can do is because our failure to get good stop gap veterans to fill in. If your stop gap is Reasoner while you wait for a prospect to get ready it is much easier to be impatient. Organizations like Detroit would get rid of Reasoner if he was playing like this or would never have brought him in in the first place.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:

We drafted Strome as 5

Landeskog is the team captain of Colorado. RNH is a main piece of the Edmonton rebuild. Brodin who was drafted 10th just signed a 3 yr deal with Minnesota.

Yes the 4 players drafted ahead of him are all in the NHL contributing. Everyone knew that the top 4 picks were a notch above the rest and more NHL ready at the time of the draft, remember the Devils screwing us in the lottery and getting Larsson?

As far as Strome and everyone picked after him, who is lighting the world on fire? Hamilton? Sure but it's only been about 30 games. Strome isn't as far behind as you think.

And in two years when Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon are contributing in the NHL it doesn't mean that Lindholm is a failure or developed poorly or an inferior player if he takes 2 years to grow his game and body and dominates SEL or AHL for two years before he hits the ice in the NHL. Just because the top tier does it, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
What we have is prospects but we lack the experienced staff to nurture them. In the end if they falter and that messes them up mentally EX - Nino, then we have to look in the mirror and say He aint that good to begin with.
I pointed the mirror at my TV and watched Nino skate, head down, pass to Elvis and generally suck and have to agree.

Nino had the staff at the Portland Winterhawks to nurture him and let him mature. If we never touched his arse, he's have been more successful in the junior level, come up to the AHL and likely dominated moreso than he has to date and we'd never know the name of his agent or color of his rattler/pacifyer.

So, yeah, I looked into the mirror and saw why Nino and so many others falter....because "they did all they could at that level" came up time and time again and it was patently false each time.

You don't nurture in a war zone....you nurture in safety. The AHL or juniors.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:30 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Yes the 4 players drafted ahead of him are all in the NHL contributing. Everyone knew that the top 4 picks were a notch above the rest and more NHL ready at the time of the draft, remember the Devils screwing us in the lottery and getting Larsson?

As far as Strome and everyone picked after him, who is lighting the world on fire? Hamilton? Sure but it's only been about 30 games. Strome isn't as far behind as you think.
Agree.

You guys have the mentality that they're in a race. This logic is applying itself to Poulin or Koskinen as well.

The best player in the draft isn't the first one to dominate but the best player when all is said and done. Strome is developing and in three years can change the conversation.

Hell, pick #198 could end up being best.

Time will tell, not the stopwatch. Strome is not ready but will be soon from the look of things, so I couldn't give a rat's hemorrhoid ridden tucchus if nine other guys in the top ten have played. Tell me who played better in 2019. In the meantime, we should be worrying about the present.

In two years, the Poulin we wanted lynched a few days ago could be a Vezina contender and Roy due credit. Strome could burst out with an 80 point season. Lee could be Thorntonesque. Who knows? But they have to develop fully and not be rushed a la Bailey, Okposo, Nino, etc.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Thats very true but the main reason we keep wanting to see what players can do is because our failure to get good stop gap veterans to fill in. If your stop gap is Reasoner while you wait for a prospect to get ready it is much easier to be impatient. Organizations like Detroit would get rid of Reasoner if he was playing like this or would never have brought him in in the first place.
We run out of chickens so we're cracking eggs trying to get new ones, in other words.

FYI, Detroit had GAHBAGE in the 198's while waiting for the cream to rise. Same in the 1990's. They played with what they had and let the kids develop to ensure success.

We've got eggshells and mopping to do as far as our team's patience goes.

Would you rather see them try to do it or guarantee they have every chance they actually can do it?

Old
03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Macch

Glad someone brought up Detroit. They believe in over-ripening their prospects. It has paid off for the them and i would like the Islanders to finally take the same approach. The time for handing prospect roster spots seems to be over.

Every prospect develops at a different pace. It shouldn't matter what the other picks from Strome's draft are doing. Whats important is doing the best for his development.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:

We drafted Strome as 5

it matters not that any other players from strome's draft year have played in the nhl. it also matters not where he was drafted.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:35 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
That's all I want. If he shows up and is the best guy we can bring up or close to it, NHL it is.
I agree, although I think a lot of us who want to see these guys rushed to the NHL really just want to see the guy we drafted in action. I'm pretty guilty of it sometimes.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:15 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Glad someone brought up Detroit. They believe in over-ripening their prospects. It has paid off for the them and i would like the Islanders to finally take the same approach. The time for handing prospect roster spots seems to be over.

Every prospect develops at a different pace. It shouldn't matter what the other picks from Strome's draft are doing. Whats important is doing the best for his development.
Detroit's philosohpy came right from the Cup winning Islanders. Directly. In the form of one James Devellano who brought that philosophy there from LI.

Or took it from LI one would think, because we've been lacking it since he left.

Malphoney hits it. I can't wait til Strome is ready.....but that doesn't mean literally I cannot wait. "I can't wait to see how good he could be when fully developed and shining on ice for us," would be a better turn of phrase many of you out there should use instead.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
it matters not that any other players from strome's draft year have played in the nhl. it also matters not where he was drafted.
Good post.

GREAT post if you read it in Yoda voice like I did.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
duster19

Quote:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, No.
1st round guys have. Maybe not the majority but certainly a number drafted below strome

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:33 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
Quote:

We drafted Strome as 5

So? Strome, as was Reinhart and even Nino were drafted as projection picks. The Isles have guys under contract to fill the roster (whether they are good or not is another story), so they went for thehomerun. Just because they are not playing in the NHL RIGHT NOW, less than two years after being drafted, while the rest of the top ten are doesn't mean jack ****.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:56 PM
bluechipbonzo

Strome's season about to end...losing late in third...Pedan too...

Look at everyone playing so nice here! See how long this lasts.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote