HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's next for Ryan Strome? (At Bridgeport)

Old
03-30-2013, 01:53 AM
mitchy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I don't see how that's a good way to get a kid started on his pro career... by immediately putting him out of his natural position.
Less responsibility and playing him with the team's most talented (and more sizable) players would be another way to look at it. Not to mention, for all we know at this point, that could end up being our entire second line.

This team needs more size down the middle. I honestly think the 2C slot will be Nelson's to lose with Strome ending up as a RW if they pan out near their ceilings. Having said that, we will hopefully let their development and ability playing pivot dictate their roles in the future.

I actually think it's far easier on the kid who isn't as big as Nelson easing in as wing. It also sets Strome up nicely to slot next to JT or Nelson. They can also split the draws for the remainder of the season. If it isn't effective, then you drop Strome to 2C for the rest of this season (assuming he's in Bridgeport soon.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:55 AM
LotteryForLife*

I like the idea of trading Brad Boyes, maybe for a second round pick, then placing Strome on Tavares' right wing for the remainder of the season. Strome is probably already a better player than Boyes and I think would fit in nicely on that top line. We really have nothing to lose and we've all seen how playing on the top line with JT91 can help the confidence of a player.

As for Lee, he's physically ready for the NHL. Get him signed and cut Marty Reasoner. Even if Lee plays bad, he wouldn't be half as bad as Reasoner

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Brooklanders*

Call me crazy but I rather trade guys like Donovan and LEE as pieces that will get us a good young goalie.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Call me crazy but I rather trade guys like Donovan and LEE as pieces that will get us a good young goalie.
At this point, right now there are serviceable goalies out there to be had, I would not trade away one of our promising young Dmen as well as a potential powerfoward.

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

If the Bridge is an option without burning a year off his ELC, then the Bridge. It is as simple as that.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
I don't see how that's a good way to get a kid started on his pro career... by immediately putting him out of his natural position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
did not hurt Seguin....

Strome can absolutley play wing...

IMO I hope Nelson makes us have to move Strome to Wing...

That would mean Nelson is the real deal and we would be in good shape

I'm trying not to put the cart before the horse, but, it is nice to have a "problem" such as this.

I like to think of who they are going to force off of the team/who won't be back next year if BN and/or RS make the Isles. No more Reasoners makes me smile...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
It wouldn't necessarily be immediate. He would have a handful of games this year in Bridgeport; an entire offseason worth of on and off ice training with Tavares; and all of TC at the start of next season. Immediate would be throwing him into that role at the start of 2013-14. IF Strome's future with the Islanders is as a RW, it needs to begin now. If not, nothing changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I'm fairly sure the team views him as the 2nd line C next year.
IMO it will be Nelson. At least until he proves he isn't a 2C.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:29 AM
duster19

Quote:
At a higher level. Dont see it happening. Hopefully he will start at center. Brock looks great, but he is in no way a sure thing. The Isles are very thin at c. Id much rather have the problem of Nelson and strome both becoming NHL centers then Nelson not making the jump to center and strome playing on the wing.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I pointed the mirror at my TV and watched Nino skate, head down, pass to Elvis and generally suck and have to agree.

Nino had the staff at the Portland Winterhawks to nurture him and let him mature. If we never touched his arse, he's have been more successful in the junior level, come up to the AHL and likely dominated moreso than he has to date and we'd never know the name of his agent or color of his rattler/pacifyer.

So, yeah, I looked into the mirror and saw why Nino and so many others falter....because "they did all they could at that level" came up time and time again and it was patently false each time.

You don't nurture in a war zone....you nurture in safety. The AHL or juniors.
Boston does and they are arguably the best drafting/developng team in the nhl. Bergeron, lucic, Hamilton, seguin immediately joing the NHL roster and they all developed.

It is odd that a team that needs,help at c hasnt let their top c prospect touch the ice while alot of other teams have.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran journeyman

A shift to wing for a few NHL games would likely be easier for Strome, not harder. Throwing him in as a second-line center, with all the responsibilities that comes with, would be more difficult than asking him to play wing with one of the best centers in the league.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Steve55

Ryan should be in the AHL until next season.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sounds as if @strome18 will be in BPT by early next week. #Isles working on getting him there on an ATO.
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...56829592686592

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Islesfan24

Sounds as if @strome18 will be in BPT by early next week. #Isles working on getting h

Stape says that Stromer will be in BPT by next week. I think he is ready for some pro time, hopefully they dont do what they did to Nino to him.

Islesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:42 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Detroit's philosohpy came right from the Cup winning Islanders. Directly. In the form of one James Devellano who brought that philosophy there from LI.

Or took it from LI one would think, because we've been lacking it since he left.

Malphoney hits it. I can't wait til Strome is ready.....but that doesn't mean literally I cannot wait. "I can't wait to see how good he could be when fully developed and shining on ice for us," would be a better turn of phrase many of you out there should use instead.
And what philosophy are you referring to?

Billy Harris? Straight to the NHL
Denis Potvin? Straight to the NHL
Gillies? First year roster
Trots? Second year roster
Bossy? First year roster
Brent Sutter OR Duane Sutter? Early call-ups

Where in Islander history did we shelter our kids when we were winning cups?

Lafontaine? Straight from the Olympics
Flatley? Same thing
Morrow? Same thing

What is with this revisionism of our past???????

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post

Bossy? First year roster

Flatley? Same thing
Morrow? Same thing

You're 100% right. That is exactly what happened.

It's a different game today, and I wouldn't advocate doing it the same way in today's NHL. The game has shifted, now you are much better off doing it the Detroit way, protect and develop you're kids as long as possible until they force you to play them.

BUT, to your point, the Islanders in the 70's and 80's did not take their time with their young players.

Unfortunately they didn't in the 90's and 200's either and that didn't work out so great. Time for a different approach, the league has changed. That means more prospects taking the Matt Donovan, Casey Cizikas route and less taking the Josh Bailey route.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post

Bossy? First year roster

Flatley? Same thing
Morrow? Same thing

Age? When were they drafted? How old?

You're cute.

Potvin was Tavares league elite kinda, amirite? Bossy was 20 after five years in junior. Gillies 20 with three years in junior. Trottier elite AND one year of seasoning. LaFontaine an Olympic call up who forced the issue as did Flatley {who had an AMAZING start after the Olympics}. Morrow was 23 and an Olympian.

Yep. We should see if Nino has a younger brother. Old sucks, Children of the Corn rules!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Age? When were they drafted? How old?

You're cute.

Potvin was Tavares league elite kinda, amirite? Bossy was 20 after five years in junior. Gillies 20 with three years in junior. Trottier elite AND one year of seasoning. LaFontaine an Olympic call up who forced the issue as did Flatley {who had an AMAZING start after the Olympics}. Morrow was 23 and an Olympian.

Yep. We should see if Nino has a younger brother. Old sucks, Children of the Corn rules!
And Anders Lee is ALREADY 22 years old yet so many people here want to treat him like an 18-year old.

Bossy was the FIFTEENTH pick in the first round.

The ONLY elite player that was CONSIDERED ELITE was Potvin. Harris was nice but not elite. Trots was a SECOND ROUND PICK, NOT ELITE. Gillies was hardly considered HOF material when drafted. Bossy was considered a ONE-TRICK PONY, which is why he went 15th instead of top 2-3.

Again, even more revisionism!! As far as age is concerned, everyone was older, so that is NOT RELEVANT. They fit right into the lineup and produced!!

Also, if memory is served, both Nystrom, Henning and Howatt also played NHL in their draft years in 1973. Bourne also played very early. None of those were ELITE either.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
nyislesx23

Is there any chance that Strome will get his 9 games at the end of the season? His contract still won't kick in if i'm correct and it could be a great experience for him to play during the playoff push. He could potentially be a great help to the team during that time as well.

On the other hand, if we do get in the playoffs we could call him up then and his contract still will not kick in, if I'm not mistaken. Sort of like what the rags did with kreider last year, he was an immediate help to them in the playoffs. Then again it could "hurt his development".

nyislesx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyislesx23 View Post
Is there any chance that Strome will get his 9 games at the end of the season? His contract still won't kick in if i'm correct and it could be a great experience for him to play during the playoff push. He could potentially be a great help to the team during that time as well.

On the other hand, if we do get in the playoffs we could call him up then and his contract still will not kick in, if I'm not mistaken. Sort of like what the rags did with kreider last year, he was an immediate help to them in the playoffs. Then again it could "hurt his development".
I don't think so.. Much stronger chance anders lee gets in with the big club while strome goes to Bridgeport on an ATO.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I like the idea of trading Brad Boyes, maybe for a second round pick, then placing Strome on Tavares' right wing for the remainder of the season. Strome is probably already a better player than Boyes and I think would fit in nicely on that top line. We really have nothing to lose and we've all seen how playing on the top line with JT91 can help the confidence of a player.

As for Lee, he's physically ready for the NHL. Get him signed and cut Marty Reasoner. Even if Lee plays bad, he wouldn't be half as bad as Reasoner
I love this idea. I think that both Lee and Strome are ready for the NHL at the moment. Strome could not be worst than Boyes in the defensive zone either, and some NHL experiance + playing with JT will help him to improve faster.

As you said, Lee can't be worse than Reasoner.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:49 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
I love this idea. I think that both Lee and Strome are ready for the NHL at the moment. Strome could not be worst than Boyes in the defensive zone either, and some NHL experiance + playing with JT will help him to improve faster.

As you said, Lee can't be worse than Reasoner.
But why trade Boyes? As you point out, we have woeful offensive depth — such that Reasoner gets 3rd line minutes. Why not promote Lee or Strome then bump Boyes down a line?

MatthewBarnabysTears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBarnabysTears View Post
But why trade Boyes? As you point out, we have woeful offensive depth — such that Reasoner gets 3rd line minutes. Why not promote Lee or Strome then bump Boyes down a line?
I never said anything about trading Boyes. I just think that that our first line would have been better with Strome instead of Boyes. I would like to see those lines:

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Lee-Boyes
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Not sure if they would have been working tho. But they look good on paper.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Tyler Seguin?
So, then it's fine for everyone? I'm pretty sure that's more the exception than the rule.

Anyway. Maybe he would be fine with that, maybe not. I don't know. I do know that Strome isn't Seguin. With Strome going to BP to work on his game, I think maybe I'd rather see him get his feet wet and learn how to play against men at his natural position.

Taking him and immediately saying, "alright kid, you're going on the FIRST LINE next year... get to work!" seems a bit ****ing crazy considering he hasn't played one pro game yet.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:59 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyislesx23 View Post

it is 6 games this season

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
BEB595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
I never said anything about trading Boyes. I just think that that our first line would have been better with Strome instead of Boyes. I would like to see those lines:

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Lee-Boyes
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Not sure if they would have been working tho. But they look good on paper.
If HFBoards was Facebook, I would definitely hit the like button for those lines to finish out this season!

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote