HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
With just twelve games to go, it's getting easier to guess where Avs end up, by comparing with this and prior seasons.

If they finish with 4-8-0 they'll most likely finish 30th.
If they finish with 6-6-0 they'll most likely finish 28th-29th.
If they finish with 8-4-0 they'll most likely finish 26th-28th.

They've dug themselves a deep hole.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
I'm still hoping they pick Jones, but I stumbled on a couple clips that I hope are anomalies.

He doesn't need to be like Chara or anything, but I'd like to see a little more toughness out of the kid. In the first one he just watches his teammate get run at and elbowed, and skates away from the guy that did it, and the second one he comes in late to a scrum and then doesn't even drop his stick or gloves to fight a guy that's throwing punches at him.

Hopefully someone who's seen some of his games can chime in, and say there have been times this year that he has done the opposite sticking up for teammates and this doesn't represent him. According to hockeyfights, that was his only fight this year.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BERLIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
This is the classic time of the year when the unanimous top pick(s) of the draft get labeled "overrated" and people start clamoring for guys ranked lower to be the #1 pick.

If Jones and Mackinnon don't go #1 and #2 overall, I will be very shocked. It would take some Feaster-esque drafting to make that happen.
Except, some have been saying Drouin should be drafted before Nathan for awhile now. I've even read some Halifax fans say it at the beginning of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
MacKinnon is great, but there is nothing about this season that shows he should go over Drouin, except if they want Nathan's size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I'm still hoping they pick Jones, but I stumbled on a couple clips that I hope are anomalies.

He doesn't need to be like Chara or anything, but I'd like to see a little more toughness out of the kid. In the first one he just watches his teammate get run at and elbowed, and skates away from the guy that did it, and the second one he comes in late to a scrum and then doesn't even drop his stick or gloves to fight a guy that's throwing punches at him.

Hopefully someone who's seen some of his games can chime in, and say there have been times this year that he has done the opposite sticking up for teammates and this doesn't represent him. According to hockeyfights, that was his only fight this year.
Agreed, to be fair tho the 2nd one he kind of didn't have a chance. Although, this only enhances my worries of him being soft. Look at the goal around 2:50

Old
04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post

Agreed, to be fair tho the 2nd one he kind of didn't have a chance. Although, this only enhances my worries of him being soft. Look at the goal around 2:50

I wouldn't say that's soft. He just got caught a little flat footed underestimating Nichushkin's speed, and bit on the move a little bit . It was a young defenseman's mistake, and he was a 17 year old playing against the best juniors in the world. He was playing aggressively in the corners earlier in the clip. Playing the body and giving some cross checks.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BERLIN!

Quote:
I wouldn't say that's soft. He just got caught a little flat footed underestimating Nichushkin's speed, and bit on the move a little bit . It was a young defenseman's mistake, and he was a 17 year old playing against the best juniors in the world. He was playing aggressively in the corners earlier in the clip. Playing the body and giving some cross checks.
Nichuskin just embarrassed 3 of his teammates by blowing by them. Unless, he complete moron he should've respected his speed, instead of lying the body he attempted a weak hook then the other Russian comes in to score while Jones just watches and falls on his ass. He just seemed soft throughout the tourney for me.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Nichuskin just embarrassed 3 of his teammates by blowing by them. Unless, he complete moron he should've respected his speed, instead of lying the body he attempted a weak hook then the other Russian comes in to score while Jones just watches and falls on his ass. He just seemed soft throughout the tourney for me.
He definitely didn't play it all that well, but Nichuskin is a force, and a hell of a player. Russian factor aside, he's a guy that I think has the best chance at dominating in the NHL. He's got everything. He skates very well, handles the puck very well, has great on ice vision, backchecks, doesn't float at all, is engaged physically all the time, and competes as hard as anyone. Plus as you saw in that clip, he's a clutch player and can come up with big plays.

I've heard the Malkin comparisons, but he's more bullish than Malkin who while he plays a bit of a power game, he's more silky smooth. Nichuskin is like a better skating, highly skilled Landeskog IMO. He just bulls his way to the net, and up ice with pressure on him.

I just wish he'd slip and there was some way of getting another top ten or mid round pick to get him and Jones. He's got a perfect NHL style, and would fill a much needed hole at RW for this team. I wouldn't be concerned with the KHL deal at all, unless he indicates he might want to stay when it expires in a couple years. A guy that plays that was as a Russian, wants to play in the NHL.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He definitely didn't play it all that well, but Nichuskin is a force, and a hell of a player. Russian factor aside, he's a guy that I think has the best chance at dominating in the NHL. He's got everything. He skates very well, handles the puck very well, has great on ice vision, backchecks, doesn't float at all, is engaged physically all the time, and competes as hard as anyone. Plus as you saw in that clip, he's a clutch player and can come up with big plays.

I've heard the Malkin comparisons, but he's more bullish than Malkin who while he plays a bit of a power game, he's more silky smooth. Nichuskin is like a better skating, highly skilled Landeskog IMO. He just bulls his way to the net, and up ice with pressure on him.

I just wish he'd slip and there was some way of getting another top ten or mid round pick to get him.
Calgary offered that up.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Calgary offered that up.
Yea I know, but what are you gonna do. Too much uncertainty at the time over their pick.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BERLIN!

Quote:

I just wish he'd slip and there was some way of getting another top ten or mid round pick to get him and Jones. He's got a perfect NHL style, and would fill a much needed hole at RW for this team. I wouldn't be concerned with the KHL deal at all, unless he indicates he might want to stay when it expires in a couple years. A guy that plays that was as a Russian, wants to play in the NHL.
Jones could've atleast attempted to play the body that's all I'm saying.

I like Nichu's game and think he'll become a good player, reminds me of Tarasenko but he's become some what overrated.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

I believe that if Jones is on the board when the Avs are on the clock, they will take him. If he is not, I wouldn't be surprised they take Barkov.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:07 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
There isn't a huge difference between 2006 and today regarding drafting and development.
Is Johnson a bust now? They may not have made the right choice but Jones is a better prospect that Johnson was at the time. Also alot of people forget how well Johnson played in his first season.

I was referring more to the posters that quoted players like players like Bryan Berrard and Brewer.

Just because one player didn't turn out as well as he should have(and still can) doesn't mean they should pass on a player that not only fills a big need for us, but likely becomes the most impactfull play out of the draft.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
Is Johnson a bust now? They may not have made the right choice but Jones is a better prospect that Johnson was at the time. Also alot of people forget how well Johnson played in his first season.

I was referring more to the posters that quoted players like players like Bryan Berrard and Brewer.

Just because one player didn't turn out as well as he should have(and still can) doesn't mean they should pass on a player that not only fills a big need for us, but likely becomes the most impactfull play out of the draft.
No he's not. EJ was a can't miss Pronger 2.0 absolute stud D prospect. At best they're equally hyped, but I feel like EJ might have been one of if not the most hyped D prospect ever.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:17 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
No he's not. EJ was a can't miss Pronger 2.0 absolute stud D prospect. At best they're equally hyped, but I feel like EJ might have been one of if not the most hyped D prospect ever.
In your opinion.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 PM
S3rkie

Quote:

tbh, im okay with him not jumping the guy.
A) rather not take a penalty when his team is clearly going to be getting an advantage, take the number and lay him out later in the game.
B) he's a star player, if he got hurt as an av fighting we would all be pretty pissed off. I used to hate when Stewie would fight. How happy were you when he broke his hand like an idiot punching a helmet. There are guys on your team that are paid for that let them handle it.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Except, some have been saying Drouin should be drafted before Nathan for awhile now. I've even read some Halifax fans say it at the beginning of the year.

Jones actually played that fairly well IMO. His partner was way out of the play(Trouba I think?) and Jones actually got his stick in on Nich to stop him from getting a real good shot there. Hard to be more physical on that play when his partner left him out to dry and he was trying to recover for his partner.

I thought he played it pretty good under the circumstances.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:17 PM
PAZ

Quote:

Johnson is a bust in the idea that he hasn't panned out what he's suppose to be. He still has time to grow, but at this time he is. I don't see how Johnson playing well his first season has anything to do with his current play. That's like saying Ovechkin is better than Crosby because he had a 65 goal season.

Quote:
In your opinion.
More like it was the consensus. This was also 2 years after the draft as well, which speaks volumes.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...t=erik+johnson

Old
04-04-2013, 11:28 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Johnson is a bust in the idea that he hasn't panned out what he's suppose to be. He still has time to grow, but at this time he is. I don't see how Johnson playing well his first season has anything to do with his current play. That's like saying Ovechkin is better than Crosby because he had a 65 goal season.

More like it was the consensus. This was also 2 years after the draft as well, which speaks volumes.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...t=erik+johnson
Gotta love some of those comments. People were saying EJ ahead of Stamkos. EJ, while good and important to our team, is a good example why teams need to be wary of choosing a defenseman first overall. It's like picking a goalie first overall. You don't know what you're going to get until you see it n. action. I'm already sold on Drouin. He is the safest top pick in the draft and I'm sure the Avs feel this way too.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:56 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
eh people expected too much scoring from EJ from the jump. i never felt like he was going to be a 50+ guy like some were expecting when he was drafted.

i did expect him to be more dominant on defense in terms of being a lights out shut down guy.
after the past few seasons i'm more concerned with the D man playing really good D than scoring. i was that way before, but this nonsense lately reenforces it.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:38 AM
fcbarcelona

I've been looking into more videos of Seth Jones. Quite hard to find. I may be best served getting WHL TV and watch his games live. But, this poster from Portland sums up my concerns with Seth perfectly:

The title: just saying. There's a lot more guesswork than there is available evaluation. (There's a "rest of the world" rant I've bottled up for another time, if it's ever needed here)

That being said, if anything, there ARE aspects of Jones' father's NBA service that are positives. Seth probably knows about the grind, about the requirements for conditioning, the travel, and perhaps the potential pitfalls.

I may have a couple criticisms of Jones: perhaps holds onto the puck a little long... for the next level. Also, while he's sneaky good absorbing the hits/physicality of others, he stands to get abused in the big time unless he does some of the punishing. The problem: I have a suspicion he'll only learn that by moving on rather than staying here. I'm not the biggest expert on this, just my guesswork for the day.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:12 AM
fcbarcelona

Here is what another person from Portland had to say:

Sorry if this ends up in the wrong story line, but did anyone else se EJ Hradek on NHL Live this afternoon pick Seth Jones as his # 1 US born hockey player??, and he hasn't even been drafted?? He thinks he can play in the NHL NOW! I'm sorry, but I like Seth, and see his potential, but he is NOT NHL ready... He would get eaten alive by the Big Boys.. I see him make horrendous mistakes that you just cannot make in the big league! I think he has to play in Portland next year, and iron out those wrinkles. Anyway, good luck to the boys tonite against Tri Cities.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
22FUTON9

After watching this my man crush towards Drouin really went up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFDyiXKmWQY

from around the 17:30 clip.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:24 AM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

See a lot people talking like finishing last means picking 1st, but just a reminder even if Avs finish last they still have only a 25% chance to pick 1st. (But guaranteed to pick no later than 2nd.)

30th: 25% 1st pick. 75% 2nd pick.

29th: 18.8% 1st pick. 25% 2nd pick. 56.2% 3rd pick.

28th: 14.2% 1st pick. 0% 2nd pick. 43.8% 3rd pick. 42% 4th pick.

27th: 10.7% 1st pick. 0% 2nd pick. 0% 3rd pick. 58% 4th pick. 30.3% 5th pick.

What would really suck: Avs finish last, but Calgary or Edmonton wins the lottery and pick 1st. yuck.

But looks like Avs should still get a really good player.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:25 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Jones actually played that fairly well IMO. His partner was way out of the play(Trouba I think?) and Jones actually got his stick in on Nich to stop him from getting a real good shot there. Hard to be more physical on that play when his partner left him out to dry and he was trying to recover for his partner.

I thought he played it pretty good under the circumstances.
The guy is not even an Avs prospect yet, and people are already making excuses and blaming his teammates for his shortcomings... LOL

Old
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredTornNFrayed View Post
See a lot people talking like finishing last means picking 1st, but just a reminder even if Avs finish last they still have only a 25% chance to pick 1st. (But guaranteed to pick no later than 2nd.)

30th: 25% 1st pick. 75% 2nd pick.

29th: 18.8% 1st pick. 25% 2nd pick. 56.2% 3rd pick.

28th: 14.2% 1st pick. 0% 2nd pick. 43.8% 3rd pick. 42% 4th pick.

27th: 10.7% 1st pick. 0% 2nd pick. 0% 3rd pick. 58% 4th pick. 30.3% 5th pick.

What would really suck: Avs finish last, but Calgary or Edmonton wins the lottery and pick 1st. yuck.

But looks like Avs should still get a really good player.
Thanks for this!

04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by col9duchie View Post
After watching this my man crush towards Drouin really went up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFDyiXKmWQY

from around the 17:30 clip.
Button said Domi has better hands than Drouin??????

Closed Thread