HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
avsfan09

vCash: 500
I don't know why people in here are quoting Hedman and Larrson as reasons to not pick Jones. The jurys far from out on them. Hedman appears to have taken a huge step forward this year. Even EJ will get better by the time the Avs are competitive.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:33 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
I don't know why people in here are quoting Hedman and Larrson as reasons to not pick Jones. The jurys far from out on them. Hedman appears to have taken a huge step forward this year. Even EJ will get better by the time the Avs are competitive.
Agree. Defenseman always take 3-4 years at least before we see where they could go. And it can take a while before they actually come into the league as well. Siemens will be a perfect example of this.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
A Taylor Swift fan? Duchene might change his "we're not tanking for a top pick" mentality.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
flames fan here, what has allowed you guys to out tank us? you got 3 good centres and some good young wingers, and a young goalie with lots of potential? is your D that terrible?

Old
04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
flames fan here, what has allowed you guys to out tank us? you got 3 good centres and some good young wingers, and a young goalie with lots of potential? is your D that terrible?
Yes.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
We've also the worst coach in the NHL.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:04 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

And our forwards have had some serious absences, Downie for the year, Landy for a good chunk, O'Reilly for the first half of the season, McGinn's shot, Jones's Sobriety, add that to Sacco feeding Hunwick, Zanon and O'Byrne 20+ minutes a night and bad things are going to happen.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:07 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
our D is terrible and Joe Sacco is the worst coach in NHL history.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:46 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Best case scenario, Avs get Jones in the first, and Nichushkin somehow falls to us in the second. Worst case. Avs pull a Flames and select some random kid from some obscure high school.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Best case scenario, Avs get Jones in the first, and Nichushkin somehow falls to us in the second. Worst case. Avs pull a Flames and select some random kid from some obscure high school.
i'm going to say there's zero chance everyone passes on nichushkin, too much upside for those teams that don't need to draft for the near future.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
i'm going to say there's zero chance everyone passes on nichushkin, too much upside for those teams that don't need to draft for the near future.
Which is why I said best case.

I could see Lazar falling into the 2nd. He would be a dream come true for the Avs (in terms of what the scouting staff likes to see from players).

Old
04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Even with our defense, a decent coach would have us around Nashville/Dallas IMO.

Sacco, put the softest defensemen together with 30 seconds left against the Datsyuk line. Beautiful tanking job by him.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:08 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

Sacco knows what it takes to tank.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
Which is why I said best case.

I could see Lazar falling into the 2nd. He would be a dream come true for the Avs (in terms of what the scouting staff likes to see from players).
i would love lazar in the second as well, but i don't see him falling either, carbon copy of o'reilly , will be ready to step into a 3rd line nhl role soon, with 2nd line upside.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
i would love lazar in the second as well, but i don't see him falling either, carbon copy of o'reilly , will be ready to step into a 3rd line nhl role soon, with 2nd line upside.
It would almost be half a disappointment if we drafted him. Drafting him would likely all but gurantee that the Avs aren't going to put the ROR issues behind them and we'll end up seeing him dealt at next years deadline.

Would be awesome if that proved not to be the case, but one would have to think theres at least a very good chance of that happening if we basically drafted a ROR 2.0 this year after everything that has happened over the last couple months.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
It would almost be half a disappointment if we drafted him. Drafting him would likely all but gurantee that the Avs aren't going to put the ROR issues behind them and we'll end up seeing him dealt at next years deadline.

Would be awesome if that proved not to be the case, but one would have to think theres at least a very good chance of that happening if we basically drafted a ROR 2.0 this year after everything that has happened over the last couple months.
but lazar won't be ready next year , maybe the following year, but drafting him in the 2nd if he's available would be a must, and may not indicate that we're moving both o'reilly and stastny, i can't believe they will move both when the next guy in line is mitchell/bossa.

When sherm the worm talks about o'reilly being part of the core my gut feeling tells me he is the one staying, but i would think it's contingent on him taking a contract on a lower term sometime before the trade deadline.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

and the sharks score.

(move to out of town scoreboard plz?)

Old
04-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
but lazar won't be ready next year , maybe the following year, but drafting him in the 2nd if he's available would be a must, and may not indicate that we're moving both o'reilly and stastny, i can't believe they will move both when the next guy in line is mitchell/bossa.

When sherm the worm talks about o'reilly being part of the core my gut feeling tells me he is the one staying, but i would think it's contingent on him taking a contract on a lower term sometime before the trade deadline.
Yea, unless someone better then Lazar falls to the 2nd(extremely unlikely) you would have to take him in the 2nd.

But that would make it easier for the Avs to trade ROR next year knowing they have a replacement for him as soon as the following year.

Hopefully ROR signs something like a 5x5 contract this offseason. It would suck to lose a player of his calibre just because negotiations turned sour for a little while.

And then at the same time, if we drafted Lazar and kept ROR and moved Stas. Duchene - ROR - Lazar makes us a hell of a center core as well. Shift Sgarbossa and Hishon to the wing. We'd have some good forward depth.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Yea, unless someone better then Lazar falls to the 2nd(extremely unlikely) you would have to take him in the 2nd.

But that would make it easier for the Avs to trade ROR next year knowing they have a replacement for him as soon as the following year.

Hopefully ROR signs something like a 5x5 contract this offseason. It would suck to lose a player of his calibre just because negotiations turned sour for a little while.

And then at the same time, if we drafted Lazar and kept ROR and moved Stas. Duchene - ROR - Lazar makes us a hell of a center core as well. Shift Sgarbossa and Hishon to the wing. We'd have some good forward depth.
even then i wouldn't risk it, or consider him a replacement, we have no clue how well his game is going to translate, and if he's our second line center, are we going to wait three years down the road to jump back into playoff contention, playoff team with a 19 year old as our second line center? maybe if we get a cloned crosby.

i've got fingers crossed for an o'reilly extension. hopefully management will suck they're thumbs on this one.

3rd option would be great moving forward, worry about lazar possibly fighting o'reilly for a second line spot 5-6 years if he reaches his full potential, all again wishful thinking, i bet lazar goes late teens.

Last edited by Skip2myBordyloo: 04-06-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old
04-06-2013, 01:05 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
if that happened it will be the best Avs draft ever.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Our Swedish scout Anders Carlsson just became GM for a Rögle, who were relegated from SEL this year.

I assume this means Avs will be looking for another European scout. It's not like they draft a lot from Europe but they probably want more than one scout there.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Our Swedish scout Anders Carlsson just became GM for a Rögle, who were relegated from SEL this year.

I assume this means Avs will be looking for another European scout. It's not like they draft a lot from Europe but they probably want more than one scout there.
They don't really draft any europeans.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Avs71

From that article
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Jones
“Defensemen are supposed to be mean and gritty and stuff like that. Obviously, there are guys in the NHL that play that style of game but off the ice, they’re some of the nicest people that you’ll meet, genuine and stuff like that,” Jones said. “With me though, I try to be as relaxed as possible on the ice. I think my temperament doesn’t change much when I’m on the ice. Obviously, if I have to hit someone or if I’m going to hit someone then you get an adrenaline rush and you might get a little angry but it’s not going to go over the edge.”
That right there is a big difference from Johnson. We've all seen Johnson look like he's tried to hurt someone when he gets angry (interference, elbows, and slashes). Maybe that will serve Jones better as it will keep him more consistent, unlike the swings we see with EJ, but it's a little disappointing that such a big body doesn't want to be or see himself as an intimidating presence physically.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:16 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
From that article

That right there is a big difference from Johnson. We've all seen Johnson look like he's tried to hurt someone when he gets angry (interference, elbows, and slashes). Maybe that will serve Jones better as it will keep him more consistent, unlike the swings we see with EJ, but it's a little disappointing that such a big body doesn't want to be or see himself as an intimidating presence physically.
I agree, it is disappointing and a little worrisome too. He better be REALLY good with his positioning and stick work then.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
From that article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OURAvCkyKII

I always liked Rob Blake. We could use another player like him. (Second best defenseman ever played for Avalanche).

Closed Thread