HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
I am really afraid of finishing 3rd last. This almost guarantees us being kicked down to 4th, what with EDM having the lottery locked down.
If we're in third, there is a 58% chance we either stay at third or move up to first.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
The number of ridiculous offers were gonna get from other fan bases(Mainly the Leafs) if we end up with the 1st overall leading up to the draft are gonna be unreal....

Leafs fans already hate us because of all the Stastny proposals we laugh at. Its gonna be funny when we turn down there "Gardiner + 2nd for 1st overall" proposals that we'll start to see in May and June.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
The number of ridiculous offers were gonna get from other fan bases(Mainly the Leafs) if we end up with the 1st overall leading up to the draft are gonna be unreal....

Leafs fans already hate us because of all the Stastny proposals we laugh at. Its gonna be funny when we turn down there "Gardiner + 2nd for 1st overall" proposals that we'll start to see in May and June.
They are already shot down for "Gardiner+20th overall for 5th overall" on the main boards.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post

It's more likely that Avs fans start "what you want to give for 1st overall" threads. That happens every year from fans of the suckiest team, when people want to brag about how awesomely valuable their pick is.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's more likely that Avs fans start "what you want to give for 1st overall" threads. That happens every year from fans of the suckiest team, when people want to brag about how awesomely valuable their pick is.
Oh god. Please no.

If anyone reading this dares make one of those threads I curse you to becoming a Leafs fan for the remainder of your years. And not one of those intelligent ones that they keep locked up on their own forums, but the rabid ones that tell us Bozak is worth more than Stastny.

I mean come on, they wouldn't even trade us Kadri for the 1st, that I can tell you is all you need to know about why starting such a thread is an effort in futility.

Back on topic, came in here to say that if we do not draft Seth I am officially going to be disappointed now. I really like Drouin, but I've already convinced myself that Seth Jones will be on our blue line next season and if that fantasy doesn't come true then Drouin better damn well score 50 goals at some point with this team!

Old
04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Even if we get the 2nd pick, I think we still get Jones as long as the Flames or Panthers are picking 1st overall. Most might consider Jones as the BPA but I can't see either one of those teams passing on a center like MacKinnon.

A team like the Hurricanes getting the 1st pick would really suck.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:22 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
It may mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, but MacKinnon and Barkov don't turn 18 until just before training camp next fall, whereas Jones is one of the older prospects in the draft, turning 19 just before the start of next season. Makes you wonder how much more growth there is with those guys, as that's a pretty sizable difference (11 months).

Old
04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Avsboy
#TheStructure

I'm torn between Mackinnon and Jones. This team has problems everywhere. If Landy can bounce back next season D is the most pressing position. If not then we need more offense.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:33 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
It may mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, but MacKinnon and Barkov don't turn 18 until just before training camp next fall, whereas Jones is one of the older prospects in the draft, turning 19 just before the start of next season. Makes you wonder how much more growth there is with those guys.
Defenseman don't plateau at 19. Still a good point and if we don't get Jones Mackinnon would probably be my second choice. Alot of people look at Drouin and see his skill, but he doesn't bring the tenacity that Mac brings. He creates alot of room for Drouin and alot of turnovers.

People always bring up his WJ performance(probably the only time they've watched him) as a reason not to draft him but I honestly don't think he played that bad. He's used to getting more time and be able to get into the flow of the game. He was put in his off position on a checking line. He still had showed alot of good things during the games.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:50 PM
TheTechNoir
"Putrid"Horrendous"

vCash: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero View Post
If we end up with the number two pick what do you think it would cost to move up? Would the Panthers even consider it? They do have Gudbranson and Kulikov as young D prospects so they may consider it but you can never have too many good Dmen I suppose.
If Florida had the 1st Pick and Colorado had the 2nd pick, Colorado gets Jones.

No need to trade up, but if they knew that Colorado would take Jones then they would prob trade down to 2nd, because either way I can't imagine their goal not being MacKinnon.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:51 PM
CobraAcesS

Well Florida did us a favor by winning their game, tomorrow against Calgary should be interesting. Col - 29, Cgy - 30, Fla - 32

Old
04-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Hahah yes, like that "What would you give for Duchene" thread from a month ago....

It'll be fun getting those Macarthur + Grabovski + 2nd for 1st overall threads every day for 2 months straight though.

Should be some very entertaining reads to say the least.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
I'm torn between Mackinnon and Jones. This team has problems everywhere. If Landy can bounce back next season D is the most pressing position. If not then we need more offense.
There's really reasons to take a whole bunch of players. Most of it depends on what the Avs future plans are, and what they think the eventual impact each prospect will have. The latter I've learned over the years to defer to Pracey and his scouts.

The former though, whether right or wrong in their plans with Stastny, and O'Reilly, or how close they are to adding another D/view Barrie and Elliott's ultimate impact, at least they're the same group that gets to make the pick.

That's why it's frustrating for us fans. We don't know if they plan on trading or losing Stastny. We don't know if they plan on trading O'Reilly, though I think a lot of us would like to keep him regardless of how we feel on the contract dispute. In which case picking up a guy like MacKinnon, or even trading down and adding a D and getting Monahan or another guy the Avs scouts are high on could be the best choice.

We don't know if they plan to keep one or both of O'Reilly and Staz, in which case Jones would be an awesome addition.

We don't know what their chances are of bringing in an impact forward will be, in which case Drouin, or even Nichuskin would be great additions.

We also don't know if some of these guys will drop in the draft, in which case it could also make a case for trading down, but who knows.

The safest pick IMO, not in terms of the players chances, but in terms of team building, would be to pick Jones. I think that's why a lot of us as fans lean towards picking him. We have a big problem in our top four, and no idea how or if it will be fixed otherwise. Even if they bring in a top pairing guy, having a #3 like Jones would be huge.

However, if the Avs have other plans, and decide to take option B, C, D, etc, that may ultimately end up being best for the team too. I just wish we could get to draft lottery to find out where we pick, and then fast forward to the draft to get this over with.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
Defenseman don't plateau at 19. Still a good point and if we don't get Jones Mackinnon would probably be my second choice. Alot of people look at Drouin and see his skill, but he doesn't bring the tenacity that Mac brings. He creates alot of room for Drouin and alot of turnovers.

People always bring up his WJ performance(probably the only time they've watched him) as a reason not to draft him but I honestly don't think he played that bad. He's used to getting more time and be able to get into the flow of the game. He was put in his off position on a checking line. He still had showed alot of good things during the games.
Yea, I was and still am a huge fan of Drouin and Lindholm because of there styles of games. Being the more flashy and shifty guys that they are make them a lot more entertaining to watch. But at the same time they are also probably a little more risky then Mackinnon or Barkov. They will both almost certainly have to adjust there games a bit at the NHL level because those moves wont work against the Top NHL level Dmen they will be facing.

Barkov and Mackinnon aren't as flashy they are just much more dominant with the core aspects of the game.

Any one of those 4 guys and Jones would be a great addition to the team. But like others have said for me its Jones or bust. I have basically been penciling him into potential lines for the last 2 weeks now. Not getting Jones would mean our Defense would be very ****** again next year, barring a huge offseason move.

On another note, Florida won again last night. I don't think we have to worry about them to much any more. I think it will come down to the Avs and Flames for 1st and 2nd overall. We should even be safe for a Top 3 pick.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:38 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

For this team I want Seth, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, in that order. Drouin just gives us that little bit that we don't have up front if we miss out on Seth. Put him with Duchene and watch magic happen for years.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:50 AM
22FUTON9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
For this team I want Seth, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, in that order. Drouin just gives us that little bit that we don't have up front if we miss out on Seth. Put him with Duchene and watch magic happen for years.
This. its pretty close for me between Drouin and Jones by a large margin.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 185
If Jones is able to slot in as a #2 Defenseman, would we be set on D next year or still want pieces?

Jones - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson/Hunwick/Zanon/O'Brien

Old
04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
If Jones is able to slot in as a #2 Defenseman, would we be set on D next year or still want pieces?

Jones - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson/Hunwick/Zanon/O'Brien
I don't think that Avs would add anybody, but I don't think Jones is a #2 next year... closer to a #5

Wilson/Hunwick-EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Zanon - Jones

Run those pairings and it will be a bumpy road, but it allows Barrie and Jones to grow in the NHL without getting scratched too much. Hoping that in 14-15 the defense takes the next step.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:00 AM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't think that Avs would add anybody, but I don't think Jones is a #2 next year... closer to a #5

Wilson/Hunwick-EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Zanon - Jones

Run those pairings and it will be a bumpy road, but it allows Barrie and Jones to grow in the NHL without getting scratched too much. Hoping that in 14-15 the defense takes the next step.
Shane O'Brien. We may have moved O'Byrne, but we still have 6 one-way contracts on D next year and those do not include Barrie, Elliott, Jones(if we get him), Siemens, etc.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Shane O'Brien. We may have moved O'Byrne, but we still have 6 one-way contracts on D next year and those do not include Barrie, Elliott, Jones(if we get him), Siemens, etc.
I have a bad feeling that SOB will be gone this summer (probably traded for a late round pick). I would much rather keep him than Zanon and Hunwick, but it seems SOB has fallen completely out of favor. Hell, he got benched against Detroit and the Avs quickly called up Elliott to play instead. That alone speaks volumes.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
ThunderBird

Two questions

If we drafted Jones could we play him for 11 games in the NHL and then send him to the AHL or is he stuck in the NHL all season?

Who is more NHL ready Siemans or Jones?

Old
04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBird View Post
Two questions

If we drafted Jones could we play him for 11 games in the NHL and then send him to the AHL or is he stuck in the NHL all season?

Who is more NHL ready Siemans or Jones?
It is WHL or NHL for Jones next year.

Jones... he was NHL ready this season IMO. Next year he should be able to play a #4 or 5 role with reasonable success.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:35 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I have a bad feeling that SOB will be gone this summer (probably traded for a late round pick). I would much rather keep him than Zanon and Hunwick, but it seems SOB has fallen completely out of favor. Hell, he got benched against Detroit and the Avs quickly called up Elliott to play instead. That alone speaks volumes.
While all true, SOB still has two years left on his deal while Hunny and Zanon are expiring, I'd imagine we'll move one of those two in the offseason and the other near the deadline if we draft Jones.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
While all true, SOB still has two years left on his deal while Hunny and Zanon are expiring, I'd imagine we'll move one of those two in the offseason and the other near the deadline if we draft Jones.
I agee. They're much easier to move, and SOB is too valuable to team chemistry to ship him out.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:05 PM
fcbarcelona

I wonder if this scouting report sounds familiar to anyone:

Is a powerful skater with a long, smooth stride who has tremendous acceleration in open ice is very strong on his feet and is an outstanding backward skater who has excellent agility for his size an offensive minded defenseman who has very good peripheral vision makes the transition from defense to offense quickly and likes the rush the puck which results in scoring chances makes a solid crisp first pass accurately, is also very accurate when making the long pass and possesses a hard accurate shot from the point is very dangerous on the power-play with the one timer pinches well and is seldom caught out of position a solid positional player in the defensive zone is difficult to beat one-on-one reads the play well has a very quick stick with a long reach that he uses effectively an excellent shot blocker whose timing is outstanding exhibits very good hockey sense and understanding of the game has great size, strength, physical presence and is a very competitive player who works hard every shift uses his size and strength to his advantage in the corners and in front of the net delivers solid body checks and finishes his check with authority opponents are aware of his presence on the ice and he adapts well to game conditions, playing with an edge when necessary a disciplined player who leads by example he is respected by teammates and opponents is very focused and coachable member of U.S. World Junior team for 2005-06 and will attend the University of Minnesota in the fall of 2006.

Someone is going to have to provide me extra reassurance that scouts are being bang on with Seth Jones this year. I don't doubt Seth!s current abilities. But, does he project better to be than Erik Johnson. If Seth becomes another Erik Johnson, I won't be sad by any means. But, if Drouin goes on to put up 100 points regularly, I will be ticked off knowing that zi thought he was a safer pick.

Closed Thread