HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Avsboy

vCash: 500
I must be one of the only people who thinks this team has serious offensive problems. There were long stretches during this season when the Avs couldn't muster anything. This fact, and the fact that top drafted forwards generally perform more immediately and produce tangible results (unlike d-men), leads me to want Drouin or Mackinnon over Jones. There's also more uncertainty in gauging the transition of a d-man to the nhl.

I wouldn't be that upset with Jones though.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
I must be one of the only people who thinks this team has serious offensive problems. There were long stretches during this season when the Avs couldn't muster anything. This fact, and the fact that top drafted forwards generally perform more immediately and produce tangible results (unlike d-men), leads me to want Drouin or Mackinnon over Jones. There's also more uncertainty in gauging the transition of a d-man to the nhl.

The offence will come once we can get a transitional system in place. We have decent forward depth. Our problem is getting out of our zone combined with a lack of offence coming off the blue line. There's no movement from our D in the offensive zone, no effective pinching, just nothing, it's embarrassing to watch.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Quote:

That's only because Sacco is an idiot and plays everyone like they're 3rd/4th line grinders with his incessant dump and chase.

When he played that up-tempo style a few seasons back they were scoring in buckets and the team wasn't as strong offensively as this one is.

It all comes down to D. Sacco CANNOT coach an effective D style, so the forwards don't really backcheck or know what to do, and our slow D can't get the puck out because the forwards don't come help.

Another thing is confidence. When they have it, they can trounce teams like Chicago, when they don't, they make Joey MacDonald look like early 2000's Marty Brodeur.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Boulder Avalanche
Pull the Goalie

Can we find a Swedish defenseman? It is hard to argue against players like Karlsonn, OEL, and Hedman. Besides Suter has the US turned out any great defenseman lately? I would much rather draft Drouin or Mac than end up with EJ 2.0.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:56 PM
NWAvs

I just realized how huge a chance there is for us to lose top pick.. im kinda nervous..

Old
04-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
I just realized how huge a chance there is for us to lose top pick.. im kinda nervous..
Easy there. As long as we're in the top 3 I'm a happy man and you should be too.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Avalanche View Post
Can we find a Swedish defenseman? It is hard to argue against players like Karlsonn, OEL, and Hedman. Besides Suter has the US turned out any great defenseman lately? I would much rather draft Drouin or Mac than end up with EJ 2.0.
I'd be ok with an ej-ej top two.

Besides, we won't get top pick anyway. Edmonton will.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Bogosian, JJ, EJ, Yandle, McDonagh, Carlson, Shattenkirk... Seth looks great and we would be fortunate if he lands somewhere around EJ's abilities.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:28 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
As long as we don't fall out of the top 3 were winners. I think at this point that's a safe bet.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:

you can add another dynamic offensive player but it still won't come close to stopping Varly from getting accidentally screened by his own defender, crappy play in our on zone, poor angles, poor pursuit lanes, poor technique, a severe talent deficiency and so called vets playing like they're in their first NHL weeks.

defense is the bigger hole and has been the Achilles heel of this team for years. we will still bleed leads and not contend until the defense starts to get fixed. doesn't matter if Drouin or MacKinnon because a 100 pt scorer, the D will still be pure **** until we focus on it.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Swedes are awesome in every way, but... I think nationality is greatly overrated when it comes to this stuff. Even russians. It's all about the individual person and player. Where he is born doesn't really tell us anything. It would be like... not getting Anze Kopitar cause no other players from Slovenia has been good.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:49 PM
NWAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
As long as we don't fall out of the top 3 were winners. I think at this point that's a safe bet.
I understand we most likely will get a great player but im more worried about them.

For instance, I will be pissed if Edmonton or NJ/Nashville get the top pick. I dont think its fair in any way.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
I understand we most likely will get a great player but im more worried about them.

For instance, I will be pissed if Edmonton or NJ/Nashville get the top pick. I dont think its fair in any way.
Meh, I don't think it was fair the old way.

The old way basically rewarded sucking. Now you can play hard all season long, miss the playoffs by a few points, but still be rewarded for giving it an honest effort and going for playoffs.

I think its fair this way. 30th place is still guaranteed a Top 2 pick.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
We still have a 58% chance of drafting top three if we finish in the top three.

I was a proponent of a six tiered lottery. Make six lotteries for up to five spots of movement every five teams. 1-5, 6-10, etc.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
marioni

Quote:
Considering the hype around top 3 prospects, as long as we get a top 3 pick we're good. Shame we don't have Calgary's pick too.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioni View Post
Shame we don't have Calgary's pick too.
I'd prefer to have O'Reilly.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioni View Post
Considering the hype around top 3 prospects, as long as we get a top 3 pick we're good. Shame we don't have Calgary's pick too.
Calgary wouldn't have traded away their best players and they would have ROR (assuming the NHL didn't make ROR go on waivers). It would still be a top 10 pick, but wouldn't be top 5. I'd rather have ROR than a 7+ pick.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
We still have a 58% chance of drafting top three if we finish in the top three.

I was a proponent of a six tiered lottery. Make six lotteries for up to five spots of movement every five teams. 1-5, 6-10, etc.
That's a good idea. All I could ever come up with to prevent intentional tanking was making the bottom 2 teams in each conference ineligible for the lottery.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Yup, ROR is already a proven player with his defensive game already being top 10-15 in the league. I doubt any other player in the draft (besides Barkov) could achieve that.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I'd rather have O'Reilly, but the uncertainty with his contract makes me nervous. If you can guarantee that it's top 5, I'd rather have the pick than O'Reilly for a year and a half.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:06 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Went to see both Halifax v.s. Gatineau games yesterday and today. Two totally different games from both Mackinnon and Drouin.
The first game saw Mackinnon totaly dominating the play, with drouin playing below par. Tonight, Drouin was the better player while mackinnon played an average game. Interesting, met Kevin Lowe (No idea why he was there) yesterday and Craig Button today. Was able to ask Button's take on the two players and his answer was simple, they are both low risk picks that will become great forces in the league, but he gives the edge to Drouin. I then let him go enjoy the game instead of being a pesky fan.

IMHO, Mackinnon's game translates directly to the NHL next year. He's capable of making plays at high speed, yet can slow the game right down when he needs to. He's also able to shoot mid-stride which is nice. I've also noticed he's got a very powerfull first 3 steps which will suit him well. Wins 3/4 of the draws too... which means little in the Q. Defensively, I've only seen make about a mistake per game which is less than what Drouin has going for him. Plays a gritty game, hitting when needed and when he's not setting up plays, he's not afraid to go to the front of the net. Guy is a tank, can't be moved.

That said, You can tell Drouin will be a special player. He's got great speed, hands, and shot. It doesn't stop there though, he's made some very nice passes that equal what i've seen from Mackinnon. His top speed is also higher than Mackinnon's. But this guy's not ready to play in the NHL. Even though their stats are similar (Hockey DB: NM: 179lbs 5'11'' JD: 176 5'11'') there is a huge difference in strength. I also believe Mackinnon is taller, but who knows. He's also gotten hit quite a few times trying to make that extra play... And he plays very dirty. I know this is a common theme in the Q, but he really reminds me of a guy like Fleury, which i guess is not a bad thing. Sometimes Mans the D on the power play, or plays one of the high spots on the umbrella. Virtually never goes to the front of the net except when he's making moves around players.

Anyway, I think we'd do good with both. I still prefer Mackinnon though. His game style seems really suited for both Center and RW. Who knows, maybe we'll just end up getting Jones which would be great, but the picture I took with both Mackinnon and Drouin wearing my Avs jersey will be for nothing...

Old
04-10-2013, 10:36 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

it seems lipon has really turned it on again, i wouldnt mind getting him, i think there could be a future 3rd line winger in him.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:43 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
After last night's good performance I'm just hoping we can stay in the league's bottom 2 to ensure we get at least a top 3 pick.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
After last night's good performance I'm just hoping we can stay in the league's bottom 2 to ensure we get at least a top 3 pick.
That is my thinking too. Top 3 pick and I'm over the moon. Not gonna cry over missing out on the first or anything.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:52 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Don't worry. Calgary will win another 2-3 games. Florida has been playing well of late and plays in the southwest they will win 3-4. Carolina will win at least 2 (their horrible play will end at some point, too talented). I see an absolute max of 3 wins for the Avs (2 is likely IMO).

So that leaves (assuming low for other teams, high for Avs):

Calgary - 36
Florida - 38
Carolina - 38
Colorado - 37

Closed Thread