HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 03:53 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
Personally I couldn't disagree more. We have enough heart, grit, defensive forwards etc. Guys like Landy and ROR will probably be staples on this team for a long time and there the definition of high IQ players that play both ways as good as anybody. Duchene is even starting to become like that.
You mean one year? ROR is as good as gone. Management doesn't like to get ****ed. He's goner next season. IMO. Of course I would rather keep him.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:59 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
You mean one year? ROR is as good as gone. Management doesn't like to get ****ed. He's goner next season. IMO. Of course I would rather keep him.
They also like to win, I think. If he proves too valuable to move, and valuable enough for the type of contact he wants, then the Avs will keep him.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:05 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Maybe. I'll always be a little sour towards ROR for the situation, I'm certainly not a big fan of him at the moment. He's producing tho, something I didn't think he'd do right away. Also looks like a 60-70 point player, which I didn't believe.

ROR is going to be an Av IMO. Only way he leaves is if the FO finds a deal that gets them better value than what he brings. Maybe contract talks go sour again but doubt ROR wants to talk another hit to his image like that, he got his payday. Obviously you never knew but I can see Avalanche retaining him and him sticking around for a long time. He's only 22, everybody seems to be past it. I actually feel kinda immature for still hating the dude ... I went a lil crazy when I found out we signed him

Old
04-01-2013, 05:56 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Maybe. I'll always be a little sour towards ROR for the situation, I'm certainly not a big fan of him at the moment. He's producing tho, something I didn't think he'd do right away. Also looks like a 60-70 point player, which I didn't believe.

ROR is going to be an Av IMO. Only way he leaves is if the FO finds a deal that gets them better value than what he brings. Maybe contract talks go sour again but doubt ROR wants to talk another hit to his image like that, he got his payday. Obviously you never knew but I can see Avalanche retaining him and him sticking around for a long time. He's only 22, everybody seems to be past it. I actually feel kinda immature for still hating the dude ... I went a lil crazy when I found out we signed him
I have never met PL. I barely have watched him talk.
I still think that if he does not retire in the offseason, he will ship out ROR in a Drury type of deal.

He got owned by ROR and Newport. PL hates Newport. PL has an ego the size of an elephant.
ROR is only under contract for another year. The Avs are forced to in their minds to overpay him now and in the future.
Do you REALLY believe that their is no ill will?
Nobody is past anything. You want them to be. But it is not the reality.The Avs were ready to ship him out.
What changed???
They got taken to school by ROR and his agent.
Why on earth do you believe that they all of a sudden want to keep him? Oh because they are so impressed by him producing on the second to last team in the whole league?

Old
04-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Puck Poise

How about overager Mattias Janmark-Nylen? Had a great year last year in the J20 league in Sweden, and managed to elevate his game to the pro level this year. He's beating 'Nucks and teammate prospect Niklas Jensen in points by 8 points with 5 games in hand. Would hate to see him get grabbed by Detroit .

Old
04-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:

To be honest I can't believe he's only 22. Damn. He could get better.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I have never met PL. I barely have watched him talk.
I still think that if he does not retire in the offseason, he will ship out ROR in a Drury type of deal.

He got owned by ROR and Newport. PL hates Newport. PL has an ego the size of an elephant.
ROR is only under contract for another year. The Avs are forced to in their minds to overpay him now and in the future.
Do you REALLY believe that their is no ill will?
Nobody is past anything. You want them to be. But it is not the reality.The Avs were ready to ship him out.
What changed???
They got taken to school by ROR and his agent.
Why on earth do you believe that they all of a sudden want to keep him? Oh because they are so impressed by him producing on the second to last team in the whole league?
Good points, this is what I believe as well. There was bad blood and I don't think things got any better.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
MikeC

It seems to be a consensus that the top 4 players on our wish list are: Jones, Mack, Drouin and Barkov.

For our 2nd round pick, who do you put on your wish list?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
It seems to be a consensus that the top 4 players on our wish list are: Jones, Mack, Drouin and Barkov.

Curtis Lazar and Bo Horvat, but they're both going to be long gone when we're up to pick for the 2nd time.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:19 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post

Unrealistic (likely 1st round picks):
Ryan Hartman
Curtis Lazar
Robert Hagg

Possible (should fall in the 25-35 range):
Nic Petan
Shea Theodore

Realisitc:
Dillion Heatherington
Sam Morin
Anthony Duclair
Nick Sorensen

Old
04-01-2013, 09:19 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Didn't Avs trade 2nd in the Varly trade?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:24 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Didn't Avs trade 2nd in the Varly trade?
Traded the pick acquired for Liles in last year's draft.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Ryan Hartman
Curtis Lazar
Robert Hagg

Nic Petan
Shea Theodore

Realisitc:
Dillion Heatherington
Sam Morin
Anthony Duclair
Nick Sorensen
Sam Morin and Sorensen are both having great playoffs

Old
04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
No, he didn't simply leap frog Barkov because of one highlight package. I have never been a fan of Barkov. I have always like Lindholm more then Barkov, but after watching a couple of both(albeit yes through youtube) and reading up on both of them, I wouldn't even want the Avs to take Barkov at all.

Not a fan of his game, and the fact that he is a pure Center makes it even worse IMO. I would rather take a Dman or a Winger then a Center, and even if Barkov is better then Lindholm, the difference is small enough that I would rather the Winger.
Quote:
Thought the exact same thing. I hadn't watched any of his play before watching that highlight reel of his first season, but the first thing that popped into my mind watching that video was holy crap, that looks like Forsberg on the ice.
I mean, since that video was posted, what, last week, you have to forgive me for not taking that viewpoint on Barkov's game terribly seriously. Kid is honestly a beast and immensely talented and if you can get a hold of any recorded FEL games from this past year I think it would be worth watching him play a bit more. I like Lindholm's game a lot as well, but you're absolutely selling Barkov short, plus have the wrong idea of what type of player he's going to be (you mentioned Toews, Getzlaf, Backes as comparables).

I don't mean to belabour the point about the pitfalls of youtube scouting but it seems strange to me to form such strong opinions on a player's game based on videos a couple minutes long. In addition, BPA every time, forget about position. If you have too many good centers, trade one.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:57 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
In addition, BPA every time, forget about position. If you have too many good centers, trade one.
Yeah, I've been reading too much about how the team should be drafting based on need. Who knows who will be on this team in 5 years when Barkov hits his peak. I would love to get Barkov. You can teach skating, but you can't teach that combination if size, skill and hockey IQ. Have the Avs ever had a center that size before? A guy like that would be great to counter the Kopitar's, Toews, Benn's, and Backes' that the Avs will have to deal with.

I think anyone of the top 6 guys would be okay with me. Monahan sounds like a player Pracey would love.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Yeah, I've been reading too much about how the team should be drafting based on need. Who knows who will be on this team in 5 years when Barkov hits his peak. I would love to get Barkov. You can teach skating, but you can't teach that combination if size, skill and hockey IQ. Have the Avs ever had a center that size before? A guy like that would be great to counter the Kopitar's, Toews, Benn's, and Backes' that the Avs will have to deal with.

I think anyone of the top 6 guys would be okay with me. Monahan sounds like a player Pracey would love.
Not since they've moved to Colorado, the last big center who can be somewhat compared to Sasha this franchise had was Mats Sundin.

To expand my toughts on Sasha, he and Nichushkin look like man childs at times on the ice even though they're playing against grown men.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post

Agree wholeheartedly with your thought's on Barkov. He may not be as physical as some of those guys but would add a dimension to this team we've never had since coming to Colorado.

I'm not really sold on Monahan over any of the big 5 but if we wind up picking 6th then I'd definitely take him there.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Agree wholeheartedly with your thought's on Barkov. He may not be as physical as some of those guys but would add a dimension to this team we've never had since coming to Colorado.

I'm not really sold on Monahan over any of the big 5 but if we wind up picking 6th then I'd definitely take him there.
I might take Lindholm over Monahan at this point. His game is really growing on me. Very well-rounded.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Not since they've moved to Colorado, the last big center who can be somewhat compared to Sasha this franchise had was Mats Sundin.

To expand my toughts on Sasha, he and Nichushkin look like man childs at times on the ice even though they're playing against grown men.
Sasha was born on sept/02, so if he was born 14 days later, he would have been eligible only in 2014. He is 11 months younger that Jones.

I did not have the chance to see him play but to do what he did this year at 17 years old against men... just wow!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

A new Poll is up , please take 2 minutes to cast your vote.

Thanks

Old
04-01-2013, 10:56 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Ryan Hartman (Even though I think he is a 1st round, I can see slip to 2nd.)
Curtis Lazar (He's gone)
Robert Hagg (Would be amazing if he at our pick in 2nd!)

Nic Petan (Should be available)
Shea Theodore (Should be available)

Realisitc:
Dillion Heatherington (Should be available)
Sam Morin (Should be available, but pass)
Anthony Duclair (Should be available, and should definitely look at him)
Nick Sorensen(Should be available)
If this a list of players of possible in the early in the 2nd round (top 5), bold is IMO.

The player I want to fall to the 2nd is Valentin Zykov and/or Bo Horvat!

The players I want in the 2nd,
1. Oliver Bjorkstrand (I have him as a late 1st rounder)
2. Jacob de la Rose
3. Laurent Dauphin
4. Shea Theodore
5. Anthony Duclair/Nicolas Petan/Mirco Mueller/Morgan Klimchuk

DAMN, too many good players in the 2nd to choose from, we have a great chance at a great player in the 3rd as well.

Last edited by S E P H: 04-01-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old
04-01-2013, 11:05 AM
henchman24
If and if...

I'm not a real big fan of de la Rose. I get the effort, size, etc. parts of his game, I just see a very small chance that he develops into a top 6 player. I would take him with a 3rd, but a 2nd, with who is still on the board, seems incredibly risky.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:09 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I'm not a real big fan of de la Rose. I get the effort, size, etc. parts of his game, I just see a very small chance that he develops into a top 6 player. I would take him with a 3rd, but a 2nd, with who is still on the board, seems incredibly risky.
I think he is a bit more offensive potential than what you're saying, IMO. I also would like to add that Justin Bailey is much more raw and should be more of a 3rd than de la Rose.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:13 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
I'd argue he is a safe pick in a sense that he is almost guaranteed to make NHL, but maybe just in bottom 6 role.

If one is after potential star players there.. yeah he is risky. But how many 2nd rounders pan out anyway, like 25%?

Though if someone like Theodore or Duclair was available I'd take them.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:14 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think he is a bit more offensive potential than what you're saying, IMO. I also would like to add that Justin Bailey is much more raw and should be more of a 3rd than de la Rose.
Could be. I see him as a 10g 15a guy at the NHL level with excellent defensive and PK skills. With legit top 4/6 talent out there, I just can't justify that sort of pick. I would love to be wrong on him though... he plays a game that every fan will love.

Agreed on Bailey. He is poised to have a breakout season next year.

Closed Thread